• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Eteric Rice

Is there a way to play with the sensitivity of the controls?

The motion controls sometimes do things I don't do. And the cursor controls are to insensitive.

jackdoe

Is there a way to play with the sensitivity of the controls?

The motion controls sometimes do things I don't do. And the cursor controls are to insensitive.
Nope. You have to adjust to the game rather than have the game adjust to you. Normally, I would say fuck it and ditch the game, but it's Zelda and for Zelda you make an effort.

And I believe the cursor controls are a bit funky because it doesn't use IR.

Busaiku

So I just picked up my box from Gamestop.

Does anyone know a proper method to remove that stupid tape without tearing off some of the box?
That happened with my Super Mario All Stars box and I regret it to this day.

Only played the first dungeon so far, just messing around right now. My only two complaints right now are the lack of a day night cycle (have to go to bed, and no flying at night), and the zoning when flying into Skyloft. You can't just land like you can on the smaller islands, I'm sure its because of its size but its a bit disappointing.

Very much enjoying it still. The day/night particularly seems so strange for a 3D Zelda.
EDIT: I guess time didn't pass in towns before though either...

Rich!

Does anyone know a proper method to remove that stupid tape without tearing off some of the box?

Get a stanley knife/razor and just slit through it, through the gaps. Voila. Thats what I did. Didn't have to take it off at all.

Magnus

I'm playing on a Plasma HD set and the jaggies are definitely there but my mind glosses over that when I'm actually playing the game. However, the vertical lines that everyone keeps talking about are distracting, especially during cutscenes but again, it's a Wii limitation so I got over it as well.

I've only ever encountered these lines in wind Waker and this game. Is it really something inherent to the Wii?

Pour some denatured alcohol on a warm cloth and gently apply on the tape. The heat and alchohol should melt the glue from the tape.

Stickers are the OCD players worst nightmare!

Rich!

I've only ever encountered these lines in wind Waker and this game. Is it really something inherent to the Wii?

It never ever occured in Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade..or any other wii game I can think of.

I've only ever seen it in Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Actually, it's not - if you think about it.

You know what I mean.
I do.

Only played the first dungeon so far, just messing around right now. My only two complaints right now are the lack of a day night cycle (have to go to bed, and no flying at night), and the zoning when flying into Skyloft. You can't just land like you can on the smaller islands, I'm sure its because of its size but its a bit disappointing.

Very much enjoying it still. The day/night particularly seems so strange for a 3D Zelda.
EDIT: I guess time didn't pass in towns before though either...
There's a reason for that. I think the lack of a real time cycle fits the game better, to be honest.

Looks fantastic on my tv, but it might be because it's a cheap HDTV (37" Dynex LCD)

Love the look of the game, but wind waker still looks way better.

jonno394

I'm trying to go cold turkey for the rest of the week now i'm back at work and save Skyward Sword for a binge session on the weekend. After spending 30 hours on it the last four days, this is proving difficult to maintain!

Magnus

The puzzles in the third area are fun.

I feel like I'm trying things just to see if they work and then quickly realize "Oh shit, that's why it does that."

I was intensely pleased with the hilariously common-sense solution for the eyes in the first dungeon. I'm glad I didn't look that one up, lol.

Mlatador

Banned
Ok, so I don't have to worry about the vertical lines being some sort of analog noise (from low qualiy cables or such) - awesome :)

There are lots of jaggies, especially if you look at objects far away, even on my crt, but apart of that the game is BEAUTIFUL!

Sometimes you do have to center the wiimote for ranged weapons, but everything else works VERY WELL.

What a fantastic control sheme! Swordplay is so good.

Also, I really love the characters. Some of them are incredibly cute! (small, hiding forest dudes for example).

Rich!

I was intensely pleased with the hilariously common-sense solution for the eyes in the first dungeon. I'm glad I didn't look that one up, lol.

I was astounded by how long it took me to work out the puzzle in the canyon (with the crystals).

oh holy fuck the solution was so simple

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just beat the First Dungeon...pretty fun, and I didn't have too much trouble with Ghirahim thanks to the advice I read here about telegraphing attacks.

Now I'm on Thanksgiving Break so it's time to explore the sky!

The puzzles in the third area are fun.

I feel like I'm trying things just to see if they work and then quickly realize "Oh shit, that's why it does that."

When you first encounter the third area's 'thing' it loves to use, it's just the best feeling, a really 'haha oh fuck this is brilliant' moment. It never really lets up until you finish the dungeon either.

Ragus

Banned
I've just finished the 3rd dungeon. It was great. And that scene after it, woah.

But, I have a plot question. It may be a stupid one, but I just have to ask:

Who brought Zelda to the land below Skyloft? Was it Ghiirahim? Or was it that mistical lady who accompanies Zelda? Or maybe I am yet to find out?

Combine

Banned
So, who else has gotten screwed by Amazon on the bundle?

Edit: Hah, should have looked up:
Anyone else preorder from Amazon? Mine has been delayed to mid-December. Wat.
Mine's still in shipping soon limbo, and according to others who've contacted their support, they were told that Amazon botched things up by overselling. Have no clue now when I'll get my copy. Some people have said they were told that it might take until mid December :(

Guess that's a lesson learned never to pre-order from Amazon concerning Nintendo releases.

Wow really? I have the exact opposite opinion. Which characters doyou feel have character in the first act?

I thought it was soulless and boring. Big ceromony that no one attends, 3 bullies, a dad, i dont know. The village in TP was more vested in Link. I get no sense of community in SS

The character design of everyone except Link in TP was so off-putting to me that I inherently find the SS characters more appealing just because they don't... look like that.

Subjective as it is, though, I think SS just has charm coming out the wazoo thanks to the character designs, color schemes, and animation. And the writing is easily the best I can recall in a Zelda game, in terms of dialogue and descriptive text, anyway. Someone earlier mentioned that it is close in quality to the Mario & Luigi games, and I agree. It's obviously not going for out-and-out comedy like M&L but it has a nice, gentle sense of humor that doesn't feel "lost in translation" like other Zelda games.

TP probably does establish its bucolic setting better, but the games are just going for different things. Link in TP is more or less already the village hero, or at least the one everyone seems to rely on for everything. He's awesome and everyone loves him. And other than that, he's pretty much a blank. Link in SS is "blessed" but also apparently kind of lazy and flaky. And if you talk to the Skyloft villagers they do all have their own personalities and relationships. It's not exactly Dostoyevsky but it's more than we usually get in character development for Zelda games.

Rich!

I've just finished the 3rd dungeon. It was great. And that scene after it, woah.

But, I have a plot question. It may be a stupid one, but I just have to ask:

Who brought Zelda to the land below Skyloft? Was it Ghiirahim? Or was it that mistical lady who accompanies Zelda? Or maybe I am yet to find out?

she fell down, landed in faron woods. met the old woman, and then got sent on her quest. it was girahim who sent her down, as she was caught by moblins when she landed...but was saved

end game spoiler if you're picky about cutscenes:

there is a movie during the end credits that shows what zelda got up to while you were in dungeons and shit, you find it all out then

fernoca

Though related to the earlier talk about the Skyloft residents and Zelda...
I just went back (after the 3rd dungeon) and
the 2 I talked, Fledge and..some girl..were wondering about her. Fledge of course knows what happens, so he just said he was worried. The other girl just found it weird that she hasn't seen Zelda around and was wondering if Link and her had a fight.. :p ..so yeah, they are aware of her; unlike what some mentioned earlier about noone even asking for her.

Wurst

Just finished the game! Holy shit!

The Finale was absolutely amazing! Ghirahim is easily my favourite Zelda villain. The last fight with him was soo good. I want him in the next Smash Bros!
And then it was time for Akuma/Ganondorf/Demise. What a great design and fight. It was actually pretty easy once i've figured out when to counterblock with my shield but wohay, awesome!

This game is easily my favourite story wise. All the cutscenes are well directed. Legend of Groose! A few things i don't get like Goddess hierarchy... So Zelda is a Goddess und the Goddess and then there are the three Goddesses that created the Triforce. Easy!

It could also have been my favourite Zelda if Nintendo didn't make so many poor design choices.
To cut it short: Too much backtracking. No Mini-Bosses and repitition of the excisting. Handholding. Fi is just bad. Backtracking. I don't like Eldin Volcano at all.

In the end I would not say it's a missed opportunity. The game is good. I had a blast with it.

Will replay it after Batman and AssCreed for the sidequests on Hero Mode. Yay!

jonno394

she fell down, landed in faron woods. met the old woman, and then got sent on her quest. it was girahim who sent her down, as she was caught by moblins when she landed...but was saved

there is a movie during the end credits that shows what zelda got up to while you were in dungeons and shit, you find it all out then

Can you mark the second as an end game spoiler please .....thanks :(

edit Thanks, my non-spoiler reading has been exceptionally good this game, but I am up to dungeon five and assume dthat as the poster mentioned dungeon three, you would be discussing a cutscene around that part of the game.

Mine's still in shipping soon limbo, and according to others who've contacted their support, they were told that Amazon botched things up by overselling. Have no clue now when I'll get my copy. Some people have said they were told that it might take until mid December :(

Guess that's a lesson learned never to pre-order from Amazon concerning Nintendo releases.

If I find it nearby I'll be cancelling my Amazon order. This'll make 4 out of about 7 preorders this year that Amazon has fucked up for me. :|

Rich!

Can you mark the second as an end game spoiler please .....thanks :(

edit Thanks, my non-spoiler reading has been exceptionally good this game, but I am up to dungeon five and assume dthat as the poster mentioned dungeon three, you would be discussing a cutscene around that part of the game.

nope, the spoiler concerned dungeon 1.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

I ordered the bundle the very day it was listed online and it's only now in transit (should be arriving tomorrow). Since it was estimated to arrive on the 23rd, I got impatient and pre-ordered a LE at Best Buy for in-store pickup, compared to the wait and stock issues with Amazon it's kinda absurd that I could do that on Friday and still get a copy on Sunday. It's pretty unforgivable that they oversold and didn't let people know earlier so they could have pre-ordered elsewhere...

Varion

I love how Link jumps on to the bed when you sleep. Such a simple thing that says a lot about his character.
I love the way you can do it on pretty much any bed too. Even if there's someone already in the room. I pretty much never slept on Link's bed, for the first part of the game I ended up in Groose's, then his bed was taken so I moved to Fledge's for some reason, and then in the second half it was
--- Zelda's ---
. Just because.

Just finished the game! Holy shit!
The finale really was amazing. (giant spoilers obviously)
Ghirahim in awesome mode the whole time ("Do not fear him... Fear my wrath if you fail me!") Groose trying to stand his ground, the fight with the hordes of enemies at night lit only by the barriers and torchlight, the cool duels with Ghirahim and the different ways you got hits on him, and then the final fights... everything was just so atmospheric, I couldn't really have wished for more. Fantastic end to the game. I was pretty disappointed after the final dungeon was just reused assets and didn't feel as awesome as it should considering you were gathering the Triforce, but the last hour more than made up for it.

Post 6th dungeon spoilers

Oh man, this is awesome.
I love the stealthy part when you're looking for the Fire/Earth Dragon, reminds me so much of Forsaken Fortress

Tab0203

They mentionend the gyro/3D mouse feature in multiple interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2pCtcYGOhM#t=06m27s

Miyamoto is sad when people "lose track of the pointer"…

They changed another thing over the years. Wii Sports Resort (unlike Wii Sports) lets you use the d-pad on top of the pointer to navigate through menus, and it makes sense. You're constantly holding the remote in different ways. Having to point at the screen every time you quickly want to restart or quit a round would get annoying fast. Skyward Sword lets you re-center the aiming cursor manually without having to point at the screen. It's supposed to be more comfortable and prevents people from losing track of the pointer/sensor bar.

... I suspect people like Gigglepoo think this is "losing calibration" because, on occasion, you may end up aiming at a spot that clearly isn't the center of the TV- down and to the right or whatever- as though it's straight at the screen. This happens precisely because you were pointing that way when you started the aiming action. There's also the possibility that, if you whip the Remote around particularly violently, you may max out one or more the sensors and end up pointing incorrectly; these are the reasons the "Press down to Center" button exists.

Why do they redefine the aiming "Center" every time you start an aiming action, rather than just depending on the initial location of the television? I suspect it actually helps people playing. You don't have to point at the TV at all... you can point slightly down and left at all times if you wish. In fact, that will probably happen naturally and unconsciously as you let your hands rest as you play... People have always griped about having to hold your hands correctly to play Wii games, straining wrists and all that... Well, with the Zelda implementation you don't have to rigidly point right at the screen at all times (particularly helpful since you're switching to aiming items so frequently in this one). The game adjusts to however your holding the Remote at a given time, and gives the "Center" option just in case you happened to be pointing uncomfortably off in space when you started one particular action. ...
Exactly. It's pretty obvious. Amazing that you actually have to explain that.

I was skeptical of gyro pointer controls (at least give me the option to use IR for aiming), but it works well in this game. Zelda isn't a shooter where you're constantly pointing at the screen. Aiming, looking and walking around in first person could have been improved with cursor sensitivity settings - faster camera, smaller bounding box i.e. less hand movement, but it's not a big deal.

I really hope developers continue to support IR aiming in future Wii U shooters. Some combination of both, or the option to use one or the other would be nice. IR pointing is still superior - faster, more precise and no temperature drift (no calibration).

The famous Wii Play shooting range video would be impossible with a gyroscope.

Wii Play Shooting Range 902
it's random
Wii Play Shooting Range 904

This is what happens when there's another light source in the room:

Something I noticed that isn't obvious:

This (or part of it) is the software they wrote to counter gyroscope temperature drift in Wii Sports Resort (Iwata asks). Swinging vertically down will re-center your sword without the need of a sensor bar. You can try it yourself. Get your sword off-center by standing in an angle to your sensor bar. Cover the front of your remote with a finger or hide/disconnect the sensor bar and get back to your seat. It'll re-center itself after a few of those swings.

quick demonstration

Combine

Banned
I ordered the bundle the very day it was listed online and it's only now in transit (should be arriving tomorrow). Since it was estimated to arrive on the 23rd, I got impatient and pre-ordered a LE at Best Buy for in-store pickup, compared to the wait and stock issues with Amazon it's kinda absurd that I could do that on Friday and still get a copy on Sunday. It's pretty unforgivable that they oversold and didn't let people know earlier so they could have pre-ordered elsewhere...
Yeah, if I'd known that there were gonna be issues I would have of course ordered it from a store. Unlikely I'll find the gold-wiimote bundle in stores now though. And I agree, how the fuck do you oversell a pre-order and not be aware of it?

Wurst

Ending Spoilers
Just had a quick count regarding Bosses and Minibosses.
Twilight Princess had 21 (not counting enemies you entcounter more than once and counting the 4 part Ganondorf battle as 1)
Skyward Sword just 12! Without recycling obviously.

I seem to be the only one who is bothered by it. But I just love fighting bosses, even if you can smell their weak spot from the beginning of the dungeon.
After all Bosses are designed to be Puzzles, are they not?

Soo... is there a Spoiler Thread yet?

Garcia

Dude, those
past/present transitions
in the Desert are so refreshing! Btw....almost 20 hours and I'm on my way to the 3rd Dungeon. Decided to pack TONS of insects and goodies, a task that surprisingly hasn't bored me at all. It's really fun to collect shit in this game lol.

There's also one item in particular which (so far) is my least favorite: The
Beetle
should have a Speed-up option available as soon as you get it. I hate how slow it is and I just found out you can upgrade it to move much faster, but dude... The thing moves at the pace of a snail and it completely kills the thrill of dashing your way through the land.

I'm not just disussing link but all inhabitants on your starting point.

Link (TP): worshipped by kids. Good role model. A tad neglectful of epona but otherwise reliable to all folks in town (helping shop keeper, pregnant woman, mayor, farmer). Runs into danger to save kids. He fits "courage" from the get go. I prefer this over japans need to overuse cliched "lazy" characters.

Again that's just discussing link. The kids showed enthusiasm and sarcasm. Tenderness towards epona. An uncle proud of link. Who sits by the water and shares stories with him. A mayor who knows link is reliable enough to send out into the world. When I later rescue the kids at the dessert, there is an emotional payoff which helps flesh our Link and the people around him.

Its all there.

Skyward swords characters may arguably be more aethetically interesting, but again, why am i at an important ceremony with no one in attendance?
You just blew my mind! I forgot about most of that stuff. Maybe I was just so turned off by the color palette and animation/facial design of the characters in TP.

And that's a good point about the ceremony. Before it begins, almost every character references it but only a few of them actually show up.

That said, Zelda is cuter than ever in SS and I myself am lazy so I can relate to Link...and I haven't noticed it as a cliche in other Japanese stuff (because you're probably referencing anime/manga which I am clueless about).

-----------

Anyway, about to start the first dungeon, at least I assume that's where I'm at in the game. Last night I saved and quit right before entering Faron Woods to find Zelda.

Garcia

Anyway, about to start the first dungeon, at least I assume that's where I'm at in the game. Last night I saved and quit right before entering Faron Woods to find Zelda.

I'd consider the pre-dungeon stuff a dungeon as well. The overworld bits have been way more enjoyable for me than the dungeons, and that's saying a lot! You can do so many things in the overworld.

First dungeon beat.
Ghirahim
(do I really need to spoiler this?) really gave my arm a workout. Was fun though once you get the pattern down.

Dungeon was pretty good. Not amazing or anything, but I had fun nonetheless. Now to find that girl and work off that pumpkin dude's chandelier.

Top Bottom