• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Pyrokai

Just entered the third dungeon. Not sure how I feel about
Lanayru as a whole. The time thing was neat, but robots in Zelda is a little strange. It also feels so abandoned, like there's no one there at all. I was so happy to run into the Goron there, and all he did was tell me I need to get past the wall. I need people, dammit! Even Eldin felt a little bizarre to me with just a few Mogmas talking to you.

Skydiving help please! Trying to dive down and get to where the
Rattle
is, but I can't get link to, you know, go forwards. How should I be holding the controller?

Guevara

Spoiler Question about overworld interconnectedness:
do the areas become more interconnected later on or do you always have to go to the clouds, fly to an area, jump down to a new area? Right now it feels like the clouds are a hub and each world is just a spoke. Are there shortcuts that open up?

Guevara

Rattle
is, but I can't get link to, you know, go forwards. How should I be holding the controller?
Almost like a pencil. Otherwise you have to lean forward too much to make Link go forward.

Add me to the Lanayru Desert hate list. It is SO boring
save the areas where you can see the past

Agree to an extent.. For me its the visuals that annoy me. This game needs more 'lush' areas like Faron Woods. I also like the spoilered stuff you said though.

Wurst

do the areas become more interconnected later on or do you always have to go to the clouds, fly to an area, jump down to a new area? Right now it feels like the clouds are a hub and each world is just a spoke. Are there shortcuts that open up?

Nope, nothing of that sort.

Varion

They stay that way throughout.

Add me to the Lanayru Desert hate list. It is SO boring
save the areas where you can see the past

That's the point. You need it to be 'boring' and empty, because a) it's a desert, come on and, more importantly, b)
it makes the past transformations that much more effective and interesting
. You're
going back in time
fairly often, anyway, and they use sand well, so it's really well done to me.

That's easily the best part of the game so far for me, that whole section and dungeon was god-like.

[...] When I later rescue the kids at the dessert, there is an emotional payoff which helps flesh our Link and the people around him.
Yup probably the best part of the narrative/character building in TP. When Colin gets kidnapped a second time while they are in Kakariko town and Link haste to save him looking pissed was such a powerful moment to me.

That's the point. You need it to be boring and empty, because a) it's a desert, come on and, more importantly, b)
it makes the past transformations that much more effective and interesting
. You're
going back in time
fairly often, anyway, and they use sand well, so it's really well done to me.

That's easily the best part of the game so far for me, that whole section and dungeon was god-like.

I agree, the fact that I could
turn such a bland place so pretty really motivated me to keep pushing on and finding those darn stones, it's the best reward for completing a task. "congrats, now the room doesn't have to look bad anymore!"

Caelus

The desert is probably one of the most gorgeous places in the game, I giggle everytime I see it.

And when you turn back the clock, it's even more gorgeous. Sigh...

Thank goodness I have a good tv.

senador

Banned
Damn you Amazon! Actually, I wonder if its Nintendo's fault since they do Sunday releases and like to play games with shipments. Still, Amazon could have seen it coming and taken steps earlier, but maybe its all automated so they didn't know until last night or something.

I may snag it elsewhere or just leave it in hopes that it ships sooner than the estimate.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got enough junk together to upgrade the beetle. Totally worth it. Speed and stamina increase finally make this a gadget you want to use instead of having to.

Question about a skyloft quest : some guy talks about a woman sobbing in the dormitory. Does he mean the knight academy or someplace else? I pretty much ran around the entire town at night, not hearing anything.

Need some help after beating the 3rd dungeon.

Noticed the
propeller was missing from one of the windmills near the graveyard on Skyloft and remembered that there was one in the Eldin Volcano area that was just sitting there. I finally managed to find it again next to broken wooden tower, but can't figure out how to "obtain" it.
Any hints?

They mentionend the gyro/3D mouse feature in multiple interviews.
Exactly. It's pretty obvious. Amazing that you actually have to explain that.

I was skeptical of gyro pointer controls (at least give me the option to use IR for aiming), but it works well in this game. Zelda isn't a shooter where you're constantly pointing at the screen. Aiming, looking and walking around in first person could have been improved with cursor sensitivity settings - faster camera, smaller bounding box i.e. less hand movement, but it's not a big deal.
A youtube video with examples and this depth of analisis would be apreciated. It would instruct users in how too properly operate the game.

Noticed the
propeller was missing from one of the windmills near the graveyard on Skyloft and remembered that there was one in the Eldin Volcano area that was just sitting there. I finally managed to find it again next to broken wooden tower, but can't figure out how to "obtain" it.
Any hints?

Go to the bazaar, talk to the blacksmith

Dascu

Question about a skyloft quest : some guy talks about a woman sobbing in the dormitory. Does he mean the knight academy or someplace else? I pretty much ran around the entire town at night, not hearing anything.

Lavatory/Bathroom on the first floor. And the cook is an old woman, not a guy.

Salih

I am on my way to the 5th Dungeon @ ~25h. I guess i am really taking my time with this game. It's def. worth it. I upgraded everything i could at this point.

Lavatory/Bathroom on the first floor. And the cook is an old woman, not a guy.

I am pretty sure he means the guy in the bazaar. he is also talking about it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I am on my way to the 5th Dungeon @ ~25h. I guess i am really taking my time with this game. It's def. worth it. I upgraded everything i could at this point.

I am pretty sure he means the guy in the bazaar. he is also talking about it.

Yeah you're right. But thanks, I'll check out the academy again.

Tab0203

I like how they implemented picking between dialogue choices. The cursor jumps and snaps on to different options simply by pointing in the general direction and it calibrates/stays center all the time. Point in any direction and it behaves exactly as if you're pointing at the screen. The item/weapon wheel actually forces you to point at the sensor bar (you can use the analog stick as well). It's brilliant and works great. That's because the menu cursor starts and stays in the middle of the screen unlike the aiming cursor which moves around in a bounding box. I hope this makes sense...

Dialogue

Items/weapons

fernoca

? All he talks about his fixing my shield or upgrading my items like usual?
Did you talked to the other character close to the "missing one" that tells you to talk to him, because of an old rumor?
You then go talk to him and he asks you to bring him "something" (that you already have); to "fix it" in order to grab "that". :p

Salih

Noticed the
Any hints?

did you talk to the dude who is standing beside the broken windmill?

The net is terrible. Terrible terrible terrible.

NO! It supposed to suck! After you upgrade it, it works a lot better. :p

Shiggy

They changed another thing over the years. Wii Sports Resort (unlike Wii Sports) lets you use the d-pad on top of the pointer to navigate through menus, and it makes sense. You're constantly holding the remote in different ways. Having to point at the screen every time you quickly want to restart or quit a round would get annoying fast. Skyward Sword lets you re-center the aiming cursor manually without having to point at the screen. It's supposed to be more comfortable and prevents people from losing track of the pointer/sensor bar.

The same was possible in Wii Sports Resort

One question I have about Zelda. Is it possible to disable the automatic recalibration, so that other light sources in the room have no impact?

Guevara

I like how they implemented picking between dialogue choices. The cursor jumps and snaps on to different options simply by pointing in the general direction and it calibrates/stays center all the time. Point in any direction and it behaves exactly as if you're pointing at the screen. The item/weapon wheel actually forces you to point at the sensor bar (you can use the analog stick as well). It's brilliant and works great. That's because the menu cursor starts and stays in the middle of the screen unlike the aiming cursor which moves around in a bounding box. I hope this makes sense...
(I just use the nunchuk thumbstick for the same purpose)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I love the way you can do it on pretty much any bed too. Even if there's someone already in the room. I pretty much never slept on Link's bed, for the first part of the game I ended up in Groose's, then his bed was taken so I moved to Fledge's for some reason, and then in the second half it was
--- Zelda's ---
. Just because.
The top bed to sleep in is [item check-related sidequest spoiler]
Peatrice's after seducing her, at night, while her father is looking for the sonovabitch who did it and he's in the same room.

Joei

lol, you gotta be kidding me. The CE is sold out everywhere where I live and just for fun I decided to look on Ebay/Amazon, people are trying to sell it for around 100... I'm hoping I don't have trouble finding it on Black Friday. I'd just as well pick up the regular version, but I don't have Motion control and wanted the cool controler, lol

ace3skoot

Rattle

you need to point the wii-mote virtually at the floor and move it towards the screen in thaty position, i was stuck on that for a while, its a good thing to practice as other places in the game require it :s its annoying but you will figuire it out, took me a couple of goes.

just finished dungeon 6....dat boss :D i've pimped all my gear (ugrade) and am ready for whatevers next :)

I'm not just disussing link but all inhabitants on your starting point.

Link (TP): worshipped by kids. Good role model. A tad neglectful of epona but otherwise reliable to all folks in town (helping shop keeper, pregnant woman, mayor, farmer). Runs into danger to save kids. He fits "courage" from the get go. I prefer this over japans need to overuse cliched "lazy" characters.

Again that's just discussing link. The kids showed enthusiasm and sarcasm. Tenderness towards epona. An uncle proud of link. Who sits by the water and shares stories with him. A mayor who knows link is reliable enough to send out into the world. When I later rescue the kids at the dessert, there is an emotional payoff which helps flesh our Link and the people around him.

Its all there.

Skyward swords characters may arguably be more aethetically interesting, but again, why am i at an important ceremony with no one in attendance?
It's a ceremony with kids from the academy. The entire point is alone time with the person playing the goddess. It takes place just off Skyloft where everyone could see, anyway.

I am not sure why this is such a sticking point for people. It was entirely held by, for, and because of the academy. Upperclassmen clearly didn't care about going. Lower classmen were participating. And Link was super-late, anyway.

cajunator

Banned
Anyway, I'm about halfway through the first dungeon, and I think I'm starting to fall into stride and enjoy the game.

I'm really excited with the idea that the world map design might be really close to ALTTP, but in 3D. At the same time however, I find myself missing the Twilight Princess (in particular, not OoT), overworld. I hope that we can get another game in that style sometime soon. It's not that the giant fields are bad. Twilight Princess's were incredible. There was just hardly anything to do in them. I also hope that the pre-dungeon segments in SS get a little bigger.

But basically, I would so far describe this game's design as an evolution of Majora's Mask. Linear-ish, puzzle-filled paths to dungeons, with one central hub for all your hub needs, at low, low prices.

You're going to LOVE the rest of the pre-dungeon areas, especially the next one. This game rewards exploration and there is nothing barren about any place in the game. Every area is filled with things to do, obstacles to cross, enemies to take out, and even some challenging terrain. All with the little Nintendo details, like
hitting a bokoblin on a platform and watching him roll down the hill to his death and characters reacting to bombs.

I expected that swinging the Wii Remote in a horizontal swipe in real life would translate into a horizontal sword swipe in the game 99% of the time. Instead I get about 80%. Not bad as far as motion controls go but incredibly frustrating when so many common enemies require 99% precision to take any damage. This means that I often choose to simply avoid common enemies by running around them, whereas in previous Zeldas I killed most common enemies for fun and profit.

So many of us have played button based games for decades. Buttons are more honest: you either did or did not push the right button at the right time. Motion controls leave a margin of error. 5-6 hours in and I'd rather SS have Gamecube controls. I suspect I'll feel the same way when I've finished the game but who knows.

What I find in this game is that it doesn't reward you for just doing a motion. the control titghness is calibrated in a way that forces you to think about HOW you do the motion. Human error means that the same exact motion will sometimes not be done, but can anyone honestly say 100 times out of 100 they would do the EXACT SAME MOTION even in real life? No there are fluctuations, some of which may be really far off. This game is like that in a way. IF you want to do a side slash, don't just swipe sideways, you have to make sure you dont add in nuances of another direction or else it will register as vertical or diagonal. I think the controls could be loosened somewhat to account for these errors across a huge variety of players and play styles, but personally I like the change of having to execute attacks and not just performing them. I like engaging a small enemy and not having 100% certainty that I will kill them without damage. In past Zelda games you would just mow through enemies, because they didn't have any real chance to affect you. They were just annoyances. In this game, the enemies are real obstacles to overcome.

Just finished the third dungeon and it was amazing! I'm really loving this new structure. Every dungeon so far has been preceeded by a dungeon-like overworld with a bunch of puzzles and enemies that actually make it quite challenging to even reach the dungeon. The game just flows perfectly so far and it's throwing new gameplay elements and mixing them up with old ones constantly. I am actually using all of my items and even the enemies are some sort of a puzzle. This whole deal about making the game "dense" sure wasn't a joke.

There has been no dull moment so far and yes, I even loved the first hours in Skyloft. This is Nintendo at the top of their game. I can't wait to see what they will achieve with next generation-hardware.

Yeah tis game is chock full of stuff to do. It is full of joyous moments that screams Nintendo polish and charm. I really think this is not only my favorite game of the year, but quickly becoming one of my favorite of all time, and I'm not just saying that because it's new and pretty. I haven't been this engaged to playing a game in a long time. I had to force myself to sleep after playing though the game until 10 am. Now its 3 pm, I haven't slept nearly enough but I'm going to play some more. I just cant stop thinking about this game. I can't stop the excitement that with all I've seen so far in two dungeons IT WASN'T EVEN THE BEST PARTS.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Got enough junk together to upgrade the beetle. Totally worth it. Speed and stamina increase finally make this a gadget you want to use instead of having to.

The academy.
More specifically,
the toilet

lol, you gotta be kidding me. The CE is sold out everywhere where I live and just for fun I decided to look on Ebay/Amazon, people are trying to sell it for around 100... I'm hoping I don't have trouble finding it on Black Friday. I'd just as well pick up the regular version, but I don't have Motion control and wanted the cool controler, lol
They will keep shipping the CE until january, which isn't that long of a period considering that a crazy amount of people will buy it for xmas presents.

Caelus

Besides, the ceremony was held outside the bounds of the island, is everyone supposed to go out and see who's winning? I think they'd rather hear the news afterward, it's not like there were TVs
Well monitors did exist in the timeline before this game, but let's not go further into that.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Finished it. Took me around 38 hours.

Amazing Game. Really enjoyed it.

Oh and lol@ people saying there isn't much side mission stuff to do. There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more than in TP.

Played this game for a few hours today with the lights off and for once I was able to enjoy the game without any control problems... sigh, I don't like playing games in the dark

cajunator

Banned
More and more I get the feeling that the only way to enjoy games these days is to just play them and not worry about the GAF collective's opinion on them is, because most of the criticisms turn out to be minor forgettable shit.
Especially with this game.

jman2050

More and more I get the feeling that the only way to enjoy games these days is to just play them and not worry about the GAF collective's opinion on them is, because most of the criticisms turn out to be minor forgettable shit.
Especially with this game.

It's typically like that for all games around here.

Caelus

People said the beginning was slow, took several hours?

The beginning took exactly 45 minutes for me, all cutscenes on. And you're introduced to awesome characters, beautiful orchestrated music and graphics. Not only that, but you're put in a mini-dungeon rescue mission as well, and pretty much every tutorial except bird-riding is optional. It drew me in and gave me a great impression, and I can say this is one of the best Zelda openings I've ever played.

Top Bottom