• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

I want to gag reading comments about how impressive the visuals are in this game, technically and artistically. I just can't agree on any level.

Skyloft is vast, bland and boring aesthetically, most especially when flying around. The first wooded area on the surface almost couldn't be more generically green and woodsy, it has no character. Textures are a nightmarish blur wherever you look. The greasy, muddied up depth of field looks like Sunday morning post-club vomit smeared across half the screen (watercolor/Impressionism? lol), and the visual defect present in those jarring vertical lines thg creep in during every dark scene completely mar the overall image.

Link looks just about the same as his TP incarnation, which feels a bit lazy. Zelda was the highlight of character design so far, and she promptly disappeared. (Ghirahim looks like he was transplanted from rejected animé fan artwork into a universe he just doesn't belong in, and the bully/villains in Skyloft were tragically boring and bland).

I dig that we can all have different opinions about design and art in the game (it's frankly terrible for my tastes), but the technical issues are just brutal, and I feel like people are glossing over it all because of how beloved Zelda is as a franchise. It just looks unacceptably bad on a decent HDTV, which I've never found true of a Wii title, save RE4 because of the zoomed in, poorly scaled image in that game. Top tier Nintendo titles didn't look like this; Galaxy, Twilight Princess, you name it.

And because I can already smell all the Zelda-hater comments coming, there's plenty I love about this game. The soundtrack is beautiful, and I really dig the new swordplay, even if it has its issues; it's ambitious and I almost can't imagine going back to button presses for slashes.

Oh, and (I promise I'm not saying this to be contrarian, but) I really....like, Fi? Like really dig her design, her animation, her garbled speech audio effect). Navi was an order of magnitude more annoying. As usual, I never agree with the GAF hive mind lol.

Totally agree. I don't really understand how anyone could look at the graphics objectively and say the color banding and blur issues in the environment don't knock the visuals down a peg. Character models look great. The world does not.

Oh, and (I promise I'm not saying this to be contrarian, but) I really....like, Fi? Like really dig her design, her animation, her garbled speech audio effect). Navi was an order of magnitude more annoying. As usual, I never agree with the GAF hive mind lol.
I think there's some confusion regarding how people feel about FI. She is as interesting as an aiding companion can be in a Zelda game, the character concept and design is really nice. The issues users have with FI comes from how intrusive Nintendo made the character in order to spoon fed the game to the player.

Regarding the graphic side of the disscussion, now we reached a point in which a game technical deficiencies are subjective matter. Low quality textures and polygon counts, aliasing issues now fall in the realm of opinions. Never change my fanatical friends :)

vertical lines and the jaggies, all of which have nothing to do with the art direction and content, all of which are of course known by all, and are easy to overcome for many.
And again, vertical lines apparently differ a lot from person to person (read: TV).

I remember back when Mario Galaxy came out, most people praised the graphics and some was wtf is this jaggie hell shit. Then someone would post a pic of it running on their TV(wether it looked good or bad) and you would see a lot of replies like 'wtf it doesn't look that good/bad on my tv at all!?'

fernoca

They really dropped the ball on Fi

She really has NO character, especially compared to midna. What the hell?

Well, she's an AI of sorts..afterall. :p
Then again, some say Glados has more personality..but just different approaches.

And again, vertical lines apparently differ a lot from person to person (read: TV).

I remember back when Mario Galaxy came out, most people praised the graphics and some was wtf is this jaggie hell shit. Then someone would post a pic of it running on their TV(wether it looked good or bad) and you would see a lot of replies like 'wtf it doesn't look that good/bad on my tv at all!?'

Yep. A few even posted pictures of the "vertical lines in Galaxy" too.

I've noticed the different shading, like when you speak to the fortune teller, it's a neat effect, not something I'd liken to actually switching out a model though.
Let's see Alex, im talking about the plot cinematics. For example,
when Link and Groose fall from the sky
you can see the other type of shading and the higher poly models.
They really dropped the ball on Fi

She really has NO character, especially compared to midna. What the hell?
Because that's the point of the character? She's the goddes "puppet". The lack of character is her "character".

jonno394

Hmm, judging by all these complaints visually I take it some of you guys are playing on a 40"+ screen and not sitting 6 feet or more away?

I'm playing on a 32" sitting 6 feet away and I never notice jaggies or imperfections, perhaps i'm just not looking for the in the first place and my attention is grabbed by the game itslef?

That's why you keep around a great old CRT to use as a reference!
I had a fucking awesome 40" CRT before but bought a new 40" HD just before getting a Wii. While I don't experience these 'terrible' graphics that some people talk about, it would be cool to see the difference between my current and old TVs.

But there's no where in hell that I'm going to move that big ass CRT tv from my brother's apartment (4th floor) to my house XD

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Firstly, if someone is going to bitch about the graphics by mocking the paint filter - go look at a painting some time then come the hell back. It's a freakin' brush stroke filter. It's one of the best effects in the game, and visually, one of the freshest effects in any game in a while. That is dumb shit on the level of mocking cel shaded visuals with "lol is flat polygon just like PS1 such crap graphics."

In point of fact, I would agree readily at the environments are inconsistent. Skyloft is alright, but its art direction is not very memorable. The pre-dungeon overworld for Faron is also passable, but not great.

The dungeons look great though, both in terms of design and texture work (within system limitations, an obvious thing that shouldn't have to be stated, yet is still required for a lot of people it seems. YES LOL IS SD SHIT NOT SKYRIM LOLOLOLOL.)

Of course, the only 3D Zelda game so far that has consistent artistic quality is The Wind Waker. The overworlds in Ocarina and TP are the definition of bland, in terms of how they're executed (not talking about the concepts). By their standards, the overworld areas in SS are a step up, and the visual filter helps a great deal with the technical limitations of the platforms Nintendo has been working with.

Poyunch

Yeah Fi's actual "character" is fine by me but in the game side of things where Nintendo forces Fi to tell you how to do things is where my contempt comes from. I know I don't have to call her (which I don't do anymore) but I want to feel a connection with the character so I enjoy talking with characters. But with Fi it's just more hand holding.

Magnus

That's why you keep around a great old CRT to use as a reference!

I had one of the finest HD CRTs of all (Sony WEGA 36") back for Wind Waker, and as much as I loved that game, the black vertical lines during darker scenes just shat all over things.

:(

Is there anyone who is playing Skyward Sword on a plasma that thinks it looks bad? Remember now this is the Wii we are talking about, so keep your expecations realistic.
I'm playing on a plasma, a 50" Panasonic G20 specifically.

Personally I think the game looks good "for a Wii game." Yes, it's our favorite phrase that tends to rear its ugly head during all of these discussions but I think it is very appropriate here. Let's face it guys, the Wii is not a system designed to get the most out of your huge 1080p plasma or LCD, so you have to come in with reasonable expectations. With that in mind I think the game looks great from an art-style perspective, and I think the decisions Nintendo has made in that area go a long way towards covering up the technical deficiencies that are present in the game.

There is noticeable aliasing in the game and it's pretty obvious that it isn't being displayed in anything other than 480p. When I first started playing I noticed this right away but quickly found myself forgetting about it. In other words, it's there but I don't think it severely detracts from the overall experience. The DOF effect is also very noticeable but I personally find it to be a nice way of handling the obvious limitations imposed by the Wii in the year 2011. To me it is both creative and unique, and I don't see any reason for complaining about it. Expecting detail over long distances from this game is simply unreasonable.

I have been incredibly skeptical of SS ever since I saw the first footage for the game. I hated the art-style at first and honestly thought the IQ would be a deal-breaker for me. However, after spending some time with the game I've now found that I don't feel this way at all. Like I said, the limitations are there and their effects are apparent, but the general look and design of the game has been enough to more than make up for that in my eyes. I've been going between this, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and even Rayman: Origins, and I honestly feel fine with how it looks. I'm not saying I don't wish the game was in glorious HD with no aliasing and incredibly detailed textures but like I said earlier --- managed expectations.

Also, I think the biggest thing this game has going for it in terms of conquering the inherent limitations placed upon its visuals is charm. Every little aspect of the game is rich with it.

As far as visuals go, it looks great on my Plasma(46-inch, TH-46PZ800U). I do have the vertical lines but it doesn't look as jaggy as I expected. I sit about 6 feet away.

Wow really? I have the exact opposite opinion. Which characters doyou feel have character in the first act?

I thought it was soulless and boring. Big ceromony that no one attends, 3 bullies, a dad, i dont know. The village in TP was more vested in Link. I get no sense of community in SS

Things like everyone making fun of Link for being lazy and his habit of sleeping in, or Zelda getting in Groose's face to tell him what's up...there weren't any character traits like that in TP or any previous Zeldas. Like, could you tell me anything about the personality of pre-hero Link in the beginning of TP?

TWW had a lot of very interesting characters, but the principle characters were pretty generic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wow really? I have the exact opposite opinion. Which characters doyou feel have character in the first act?

I thought it was soulless and boring. Big ceromony that no one attends, 3 bullies, a dad, i dont know. The village in TP was more vested in Link. I get no sense of community in SS

Well for one, all of the characters in the bazaar are fantastic. There is so much life in their animations.

Magnus

Forgot to mention how much I managed to dig the fat creatures in Faron Woods. Their scrambling fear of Fi was great, lol. I wish more of the game was infused with that kind of levity.

Well for one, all of the characters in the bazaar are fantastic. There is so much life in their animations.

Totally. I really don't like the majority of Skyloft very much, but the inside of the bazaar felt altogether different. Dug the random merchant npcs in there a lot, especially the engineering dude and the fortune teller; great animations.

jonno394

Agreed, I love the Item seller getting super excited when you get close, then when you turn away he sighs and looks depressed. The way the music changes to a slower, mumbling version when you go to peatrice and (side quest spoiler)
how she goes from sad to super happy whenever you are near

boiled goose

good with gravy
I agree the game looks adequate, but not stellar.
Not a visual treat like windwaker style wise.

So far not in love with the game. Best Zelda ever? highly doubtful for me at the moment.

to those that say things like 'ppl just praise OOT because of nostalgia and the new 3D zeldas are way better', you are wrong. In terms of pacing, cohesiveness, and story OOT (and MM) are still unmatched by newer Zeldas. If nostalgia was it, I would not think SMG1 and SMG2 are better mario games in many ways than SM64 and SMW.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

So far not in love with the game. Best Zelda ever? highly doubtful for me at the moment.

to those that say things like 'ppl just praise OOT because of nostalgia and the new 3D zeldas are way better', you are wrong. In terms of pacing, cohesiveness, and story OOT (and MM) are still unmatched by newer Zeldas. If nostalgia was it, I would not think SMG1 and SMG2 are better mario games in many ways than SM64 and SMW.

So far I do think I'd call it the best 3D Zelda ever, but that comes with a major caveat that I'll elaborate on when I write up my final thoughts.

Is anyone else playing this with the original Wii Remote + the Motion Plus Dongle in the condom like I am? It's pretty heavy after an hour or two, to the point I'm wondering if it's worth buying a new controller with M+ built in.

Yes , the attachment is fucking annoying, just because the the extra size, weight, and the fact that it adds length in an uncomfortable spot. I debated buying a new Wii+ controller then said screw it, not worth it for 1 game. But I took off the condom.

It's the first Zelda boss in a long, long time that got my blood pumping with excitement and the thrill of combat.

It doesn't stop coming. Plenty of 'oh shit!' moments in that fight. Just amazing- and the dungeon itself was great too. Loved the troll moment when
you whip the switch and it reverses the rotation of the spinning platform, only now you jump on and it slams you into spikes :lol

Anth0ny

I just finished the 7th dungeon (which was awesome, by the way), and as of right now, I'd rate it 3rd, after MM and OOT. It's taken Wind Waker's spot.

Wind Waker definitely does some stuff much better than Skyward Sword, but Wind Waker has some pretty large cons as well. I think SS is superior, but lets see if that changes in a year or two.

I forgot to say after finishing the 2nd temple

Sheikah does a major cockblock, Link shoulda shoved that sword skyward up her ass

Groose you say?

tumblr_luo4ia2pgK1qzy5v4o1_500.jpg

Is this a really crappy overlay of Zelda/Groose over Belle/Gaston from Beauty and the Beast?

braves01

Banned
Any tips for making Motion Plus work better? Flying the bug and looking around feels so sluggish, and I suck so bad at fighting with my sword. It's actually quite amazing how tedious Nintendo managed to make using your sword. I can see how they want me to attack an enemy, but actually doing it is so fucking hard because of shitty Motion Plus.

If you have some rupees to spare, (name of minigame)
The Bamboo Cutting game
is a fantastic place to practice your sword swings. It basically taught me all I needed to make sure I'm always going the right speed.

Varion

General up to late game spoilers in both quote and reply:
Uh...
how many times do I have to fight The Imprisoned?
Three. First time was a fun surprise, second time... okay... third time was getting really old. They could easily have merged the final two together. Not including if you do boss rush.

General up to late game spoilers in both quote and reply:

Three. First time was a fun surprise, second time... okay... third time was getting really old. They could easily have merged the final two together. Not including if you do boss rush.
Thank god. So I'm done with it. That's basically how I felt.

jackdoe

I'm playing on a Plasma HD set and the jaggies are definitely there but my mind glosses over that when I'm actually playing the game. However, the vertical lines that everyone keeps talking about are distracting, especially during cutscenes but again, it's a Wii limitation so I got over it as well.

Top Bottom