• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Yes, it looks horrid. No TV is going to fix the bit depth issues in this game. The colors look terrible unless you're playing on Dolphin.
You having a laugh?

SO is there anywhere in the game that gives you a chart on where to find bugs/treasure? Or am I supposed to randomly run around the world killing/breaking shit if I missing a piece of treasure to upgrade an item? There's some treasures I only have 1 of after many, many hrs of playing so they're pretty damn rare. What do I do to mine a specific one? Or does Nintendo expect you to go online to find this stuff out?
The fortune teller tells you where all the treasures can be found after you finish the first 3 dungeons.

fernoca

SO is there anywhere in the game that gives you a chart on where to find bugs/treasure? Or am I supposed to randomly run around the world killing/breaking shit if I missing a piece of treasure to upgrade an item? There's some treasures I only have 1 of after many, many hrs of playing so they're pretty damn rare. What do I do to mine a specific one?

The fortuneteller tells you where, if you pay him 10 rupees. :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Three questions:

1. Is there any way to check if you activated all the Goddess Cubes?

2. When will you get the last heart container? I'm looking on a Piece of Heart list right now, and it doesn't seem like I have many left, even if I have three hearts left.

3. What are you supposed to do on the Bamboo Guy quest?

Thanks.
Late in the game you can dowse for Goddess Cubes.

You only get to 18 hearts with the heart containers. The last two hearts are added by life medals.

3. If you mean the minigame,
not much. You only get loot as prizes.

HHmmmmmm
I did the things he wanted but when I went back at night after do all that stuff he asked if I wanted to play with his daughter again. After I played good he said I did great but not perfect. I might just be paranoid about :p I guess lol. Off to do stuff!
[Lumpy Pumpkin sidequest spoilers]
You can replay that minigame even after completing all the side jobs he gives you, but afaik you don't get anything significant by mastering it.

Kard8p3

The Lanayru Sand Sea area is...

FUCKING GENIUS!

Loved everything in it. The boss was quite fun even if it's directly taken from a pixar movie.

I just got here. This area is insanely genius. This game has been incredible so far. I've definitely had some nit picks with it but in the grand scheme of things the game has been amazing so far.

Forkball

I went to Gamestop today and they said that someone had just traded in an unopened copy of Skyward Sword because he bought it for his GF but she already had it (probably a gift from the guy she's cheating with). SO I GOTS IT GUYS I GOTS IT THE REMOTE IS SO GOLDEN YOU CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT.

But I can't play it until tomorrow because my TV is messed up. Thank god I have Skyrim to hold me over.

Sinthetic

Oh HELL yes, 2 blissful hours on this just now. I'm going to sleep happy tonight knowing I've got a sweet ass temple to conquer, with a sweet ass boss to own during the day tomorrow.

Kjellson

Late in the game you can dowse for Goddess Cubes.

You only get to 18 hearts with the heart containers. The last two hearts are added by life medals.

3. If you mean the minigame,
not much. You only get loot as prizes.
1. I guess I don't have any left then. Thanks.

2. Oh I see. That's kinda cool actually. Thanks.

3. No, I mean when he talks about his daughter, the Item Check girl.

sfried

I was playing it on a 55" Panasonic G20, and it looked like jaggy garbage. I downsized to my trusty old 21" P1110 CRT monitor, and it looked better but still had bad jaggies and weird IQ issues (screen door effect with some filters they use, odd vertical lines mentioned above that almost look like analog noise, and some color banding) I switched to Dolphin today.
People who still have problems playing their Wii on HDTVs with drop in IQ, please read this thread. Also avoid using the conposite cables bundled by you Wii. Make sure you're playing progressive scan, and if you still have trouble with component cables I would suggest aquiring Neoya's Wii2HDMI adapter since some HDTVs hate analog signals.

thatbox

Banned
People who still have problems playing their Wii on HDTVs with drop in IQ, please read this thread. Also avoid using the conposite cables bundled by you Wii. Make sure you're playing progressive scan, and if you still have trouble with component cables I would suggest aquiring Neoya's Wii2HDMI adapter since some HDTVs hate analog signals.
I've been playing with the same component cables since Wii launch, and the game has poor IQ on a Panasonic plasma and a Sony CRT alike.

I started this game today and I will say that the wiiplus controls are interesting. However I still question some of the waggle uses on simple things that could be more effective through one button press or using the nunchuck (swinging, ladder jumping, flying). The Lord Ghigarim fight was very fresh and unique for a boss fight, I hope boss battles continues in this creative fashion as thats one of the highlight of the series. Unfortunately one thing that hurts when going into the game with super high expectations is the slow pace of the beginning of the game. I just hope they fix that with the next Zelda game and have instead a short simple introduction to everything that follows along the story (without fetching this or that person before you enter the first dungeon). After a few hours into the game it is so far enjoyable.

Ive got a question, does this game allow you to move the camera while your moving? One of my greatest annoyances is not having full control of the camera like I had on wind waker. Maybe I am stupid and haven't figured out the controls for camera.

sfried

I've been playing with the same component cables since Wii launch, and the game has poor IQ on a Panasonic plasma and a Sony CRT alike.
You might want to switch to the Wii2HDMI. I have a Panasonic Vierra plasma and used the adapter and the colors look much vibrant now, although I could predict for TVs like the one you've mentioned (perhaps an older Vierra with awful scaler) would benefit from the HDMI digital signal.
Want to define IQ for me?
Image quality. 480p does not need to look washed out and ugly.

Tuck

Love the between dungeon stuff so far. Really great. I'm at the
desert, just out of the mines

Getting the hang of the controls too, though its not always accurate.

thatbox

Banned
You might want to switch to the Wii2HDMI. I have a Panasonic Vierra plasma and used the adapter and the colors look much vibrant now, although I could predict for TVs like the one you've mentioned (perhaps an older Vierra with awful scaler) would benefit from the HDMI digital signal.

Image quality. 480p does not need to look washed out and ugly.
I've got a G20, but seeing the game on my CRT has shown me that the issues I was facing weren't the plasma's fault.

Instro

Copy arrived earlier today, played a bit. Made it to the first area under the clouds. Cool shit so far, really digging the music. The motion controls are fantastic, hacking those poles in the sword masters place was so satisfying, particularly with how easy it was. Was expecting a small learning curve with getting the sword to work for me, but its incredibly smooth and it picks up all my movements so easily(even the thrust worked without a hitch, which I thought might give it trouble). Love it. Flying also works great, its easier to control than the bird in Galaxy 2 thats for sure.

Don't get the complaints about the tutorial stuff, a lot of the concepts explained were completely new, and it was all explained pretty intuitively with the story and mini dungeon thing. It was pretty enjoyable really, as far as opening areas go. Running around Skyloft and chopping shit was fun.

Oh and the game is incredibly beautiful, I love this art style. Too bad they probably won't continue with it given Nintendo's penchant for mixing up their artstyles every time, I'd love to see something similar on the WiiU.

Quick question btw, was it possible to hit the bell on Beedle's shop before leaving Skyloft, or do I need an item for that? I kept trying to throw jars and pumpkins at it, but that wasn't working.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Say, will it be okay if I create a spoiler thread for Zelda I wonder? So we can discuss all sorts of stuff without black bars.

Just completed this game last night and I'm itching to discuss stuff....

The first few hours of this game including dungeon 1 had me disappointed. So many elements I love about Zelda seemed to be missing. The sky was boring compared to WW. And the tutorial stuff was even worse than TP.

But since area 2 and the second dungeon the game has been nothing but bliss. The level design in this game is nothing short of masterful. The 3rd dungeon in particular is one of the best hours of gaming this gen. There is so much gameplay, so much amazing design in every inch of this game. Its incredible.

Yes many elements of the series feels "old" but the important stuff is as good as its ever been.

sfried

Yeah, you're linking to me posting photos I took of my Wii outputting to my CRT to compare to Dolphin screengrabs :p
I guess once you're spoiled by HD you're spoiled for good.

Honestly I don't think SD Skyward Sword looks bad at all. Dolphin will of course look better thanks to the benefit of resolution (have they fixed the effects in the latest build yet?), but I still think on the Wii looks charming in its own right. I wonder how it will hold up 10 years from now (compared to Wind Waker's visual style).

deviant1

How long do I have to play before this game picks up? I'm 3 hours in and I'm working my way through the Deep Woods area, and damn this game is boring as shit.

I'm also not really feeling the controls for combat and flying so far. I seem to get the correct sword slash maybe 50% of the time. The constant hand holding/conversations every 5 seconds is getting really old and making me want to just stop playing at this point. And it's probably been covered already, but how come every time I go into dowsing/aiming view do I have to recenter the wiimote, really fucking frustrating.

Also, game looks horrible on my HDTV over component cables, such a muddy grainy mess :(

Scum

I stood in front of the Eyeball above the locked door in Skyview Temple.
Tried one thing. Failed.
Tried again. Failed
Tried something else. Failed again.
Stood there for about 5-10mins like a dumbass.
Then I tried something out by accident. It worked. "Oh wow! Didn't think that would happen."

Later, I came across a locked door with 3 Eyeballs. Then I saw a crate. Then I grinned.
"Oh. I know what to do now." :D

Fucking brilliant. Loving every minute of this.

thatbox

Banned
I guess once you're spoiled by HD you're spoiled for good.

Honestly I don't think SD Skyward Sword looks bad at all. Dolphin will of course look better thanks to the benefit of resolution (have they fixed the effects in the latest build yet?), but I still think on the Wii looks charming in its own right. I wonder how it will hold up 10 years from now (compared to Wind Waker's visual style).
Well, WW still looks fantastic on a Wii. SMG 1 and 2 had phenomenal IQ. I remember TP looking better than I think SS looks, but I haven't played it since launch so I can't say for sure. Anyway, the game is tons of fun however you play it!

Rich!

Can anyone tell me if there is a snow/ice dungeon or area in this game? It determines if I buy a Wii or not.

There's lots of desert and volcano

good enough?

no, there's no snow or ice. who gives a shit. just buy the fucking game, it's amazing.

Oh HELL yes, 2 blissful hours on this just now. I'm going to sleep happy tonight knowing I've got a sweet ass temple to conquer, with a sweet ass boss to own during the day tomorrow.

I just beat that today. Let me just say, I kind of like the learning curve to the swordplay in this game. It's been a while since I've played a game and have found myself getting noticeably better at it with some practice. It's very rewarding.

Tuck

Flying kind of... sucks. You have to go up and down repeatedly. I wish it was more chilled, and let me go up without putting effort into it. Like.. Warhawk esque. I'd enjoy the over world so much more...

Varion

First dungeon stuff:
So how do I get that
heart container in the first dungeon behind the locked gate? I'm assuming the beetle is used?

Thanks.
Yeah, from what I remember there's a hidden switch somewhere on the central structure that you go inside for the miniboss fight, I got it from outside though I can't remember exactly where it is. High up I think. Hit that, the gate opens, you claim the heart piece.

I went to Gamestop today and they said that someone had just traded in an unopened copy of Skyward Sword because he bought it for his GF but she already had it (probably a gift from the guy she's cheating with).

tumblr_loeohpyYsv1qfefpb.gif

Alchemy

How much better does the game get? I've been pretty soured by the first hour or so, it was pretty awful. I'm also incredibly disappointed in the control scheme they picked for flying, seems like its going to be worse than sailing was in Wind Waker.

Why is the analog stick so difficult to use in these situations Nintendo. I wanted to love the game but just had to take a break. Hoping to come back to it after I've cleared the initial taste from my mouth.

First dungeon stuff:

Yeah, from what I remember there's a hidden switch somewhere on the central structure that you go inside for the miniboss fight, I got it from outside though I can't remember exactly where it is. High up I think. Hit that, the gate opens, you claim the heart piece.

Thanks dude.

I'm stuck trying to get to the 4th part of the key to eldin volcano dungeon. It seems I have to get down the lava river some how. Or do I have to back track? I don't want the answer just if I need to back track or not.

Top Bottom