• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Penguin Drum 20]

kawaiidrum20.jpg

Adorable! It's even got the same fur colours as that damn cat from Gauhce the Cellist!

This was a great episode. Even though it was a character-centric episode, specifically focusing on
Himari and Shouma's backstory
. They managed to cover a lot of ground and answer a lot of questions without simply reeling off strings of exposition which is never an easy thing to accomplish. Neither did they go the an Evangelion route where
they take one episode and divide it into chunks, where each chunk covers a bit of backstory for one character.
It actually felt more like a story, with a beginning, middle and end all in one episode as opposed
to an excuse to flesh out some history.
Bravo.

I also enjoyed Satoshi's conversation with Himari. Great stuff. I would speculate further but I don't have the energy.

Kamisama Dolls 13

Probably should have made sure the show could get a second season before deciding to spend only a couple minutes of the last episode on the climax of the current plot arc and then use the rest to set up the next big one. "To be next story" indeed.

Still, what we got of the show was good. I grew quite fond of the story and characters. The second half was a good deal more interesting than the first and now I have to know where things go from here. I'll have to read the manga one of these days.

Jex

Penguins 20

That was easily the best flashback episode yet.
The Child Broiler is pretty fucked up. Looks like I was completely wrong about everything I predicted. Did anyone else notice what looked like Momoka's laying shoes laying at the front door of the second meeting?

With regards to the spoiler, yes, that's how might appear, but I don't think so. It wouldn't make any sense.

I think the way the apartment complex was shot in this episode was extremely effective in conveying a harsh, desolate location. No people were visible, neither were any plants or animals, it was just barren.The shots that looked down from the top of the complex towards the ground below were interesting because, even though it wasn't that tall, the ground was obscured, suggesting that building just kept on stretching down for infinity and that there was no outside world.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When I scrolled past that screenshot I thought it was some kind of animal under her shirt.

Or a chestburster.

sleepykyo

Full day of Thanksgiving with the family + playing Skyward Sword means catch-up time.

Un-Go 7

what the fuck did I just watch

Only at episode 6, but I still can't get over the
the toy bear's tongue
. Yes, that is the thing that I have the hardest accepting about the show.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Guahce the Cellist is up there with Tantami Galaxy.

Not in actual quality of the works of course -- Yuasa is terrible.

Articalys

Guilty Crown 7

Regarding the
shield fireworks
scene: I think this is one of those things that's so overwhelmingly stupid that it almost loops right back around to amazing, but doesn't quite make it.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 20

This is one instance where I have to put aside the logical part of my brain that wants to ask how everything works physically and just accept the rules of this dream-like universe and the touching story of
love
that unfolds within.

The background art in the complex is about as good as that of the Takakuras' home. Good job.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
With this last episode of Persona, I can't tell if they're just choosing to fuck around now or if that was a bad episode. I hate how irony has made it impossible to distinguish good from bad.

Articalys

"Puella Magi Madoka Magica Secret Project" Website Opens
The official Puella Magi Madoka Magica Twitter account tweeted a link to a Puella Magi Madoka Magica "Secret Project" teaser website featuring Madoka voice samples.

So far there are a handful of different quotes to hear, and a soul gem pictured. Roughly translated, here are some of the clips currently available:

*I still remember Homura clearly, too, even now.
*I think it's a really wonderful thing that someone can be happy through miracles and magic.
*I won't let anyone's prayers end in despair!

The FAQ says everything will be revealed in a few days, so all we can do is hit reload for now...
Let the hype begin.

e: /a/ did a bit of source code investigation and found twenty-three different voice clips.

Steroyd

Penguin Drum - 20

Beautifully done, and it covers the backstory of two characters seen as rather "irrelevant" up till now. :p

I don't think I've talked to anyone who didn't cry at the end of episode 22 so far.

Does a crying emoticon count? Because that's the only way I can display the ability to cry.

/XX/

I just finished, what a beautiful ending. A simply gorgeous series.
Good! Remember to check out the translated STEINS;GATE DRAMA CD's to explore a different perspective of the known (and unknown) time-lines, and also a certain virtual reality setting and more to come on the ones released with COMPTIQ magazine:

Steins;Gate - Drama CD α - Babel of the Grieved Maze
Divergence 0.571046%

『STEINS;GATE』ドラマCD α「哀心迷図のバベル」ダイバージェンス0.571046% - 想定科学ADV『STEINS;GATE(シュタインズゲート)』
http://steinsgate.jp/goods_06.html

Steins;Gate - Drama CD β - The Arc Light of Infinity
Divergence 1.130205%

『STEINS;GATE』ドラマCD β「無限遠点のアークライト」ダイバージェンス1.130205% - 想定科学ADV『STEINS;GATE(シュタインズゲート)』
http://steinsgate.jp/goods_07.html

Steins;Gate - Drama CD γ - The Hyde of a Dark Dimension
Divergence 2.615074%

『STEINS;GATE』ドラマCD γ「暗黒次元のハイド」ダイバージェンス2.615074% - 想定科学ADV『STEINS;GATE(シュタインズゲート)』
http://steinsgate.jp/goods_08.html

If you are interested in playing the visual novel, and I think you should be, its translation project has greatly progressed these past months (more information here http://vn.shourai.net/ and here http://e17time.blogspot.com/). Many thanks to Reading Steiner, and all the people involved!

Micheal Jordan becomes a Puella Magi.
I seriously hope Charles Barkley becomes one as well...

Defuser

Guilty Crown ep7:
They crammed a shitload of tropes into one episode goddamn.

*HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER*

Ayase isn't gonna be pleased.

LordCanti

Penguin 20:

Too much to process.
Kenzan is Masako and Kanba's dad apparently, though very likely not Shoma's. Masako wants Kanba despite them being relatives (related through a shared father but not mother, potentially). The child broiler is very real, and likely related to Sanetoshi and the Dark Bunnies (potentially to the Penguins, who may be invisible children...) My mind is so full of fuck on that front.

I love the parallel between
Himari and Shoma adopting the cat, and Shoma essentially adopting Himari.
I also love the continued
flirtation between Sanetoshi and Himari, with Himari not really having any of it.

While it's debatable which scenes happen in
reality
and which happen in
some other place
, I really enjoyed the scene between
Kanba and his parents, where they're talking about ideals, and he's single mindedly bent on saving Himari. Makes you wonder if they can hear him, or if they even exist.

Anime saved. Ikuhara in my mouth, all day, every day.

/XX/

Anime still saved, the use of music in particular this time was particularly exceptional.
They managed to completely misdirect the story away from Shoma for 3/4ths of the show and no one batted an eye despite the fact that he's the main character. Well played Ikuhara.
I understand why you say it, but I don't think he is what I would call the main character. My opinion is that the three members of the present Takakura family are equally key characters even in different (or departed) ways. Kanba's role in fighting for that family certainty, that unity, is probably going to be very important in the next episodes.

This was a great episode. Even though it was a character-centric episode, specifically focusing on
Himari and Shouma's backstory
. They managed to cover a lot of ground and answer a lot of questions without simply reeling off strings of exposition which is never an easy thing to accomplish. Neither did they go the an Evangelion route where
they take one episode and divide it into chunks, where each chunk covers a bit of backstory for one character.
It actually felt more like a story, with a beginning, middle and end all in one episode as opposed
to an excuse to flesh out some history.
Bravo.
So true! The previous episode introduced effectively from Himari's perspective this flashback story, and how this latest episode expands it now through Shōma's memories, making it a standalone little story, was beautifully done, like a fairy tale... direction and music has certainly helped to create that sensation for me.

While it's debatable which scenes happen in
reality
and which happen in
some other place
, I really enjoyed the scene between
Kanba and his parents, where they're talking about ideals, and he's single mindedly bent on saving Himari. Makes you wonder if they can hear him, or if they even exist.
Good point! It really makes you think what is really being represented at times, and the intentions of the series staff...

Besides, where are those supposed scars on Chiemi Takakura's face?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The finale of the TV show has made me ridiculously hyped for this.

Thank you, Government of Japan for making such a thing possible! :bow

Indeed. I too am ecstatic that their government is a firm supporter of the arts, a masterpiece such as Blood-C deserves that kind of national funding to continue on, the people of Japan deserve it.

Hopefully this move gets picked up and gets some screenings in the states. Everybody deserves to see this masterpiece in the making on the big screen.

7Th

Anime by demographic:

K-ON!!: 63% of the fans are male, 37% are female
Black Butler 2: 33.5% are male, 66.5% are female
Strike Witches: 90% are male, 10% are female
Madoka Magica: 71% are male, 29% are female

K-ON!(!) confirmed for most UNIVERSALLY APPEALING, less sexist anime. Madoka status: TOLD.

So Jexhius, ready to eat crow?

MPD 20

You said my observation that
Masako and Kanba were siblings
was farfetched, and that the evidence I was seeing was just me trying too hard. But I was right!

BluWacky

Anime by demographic:

K-ON!(!) confirmed for most UNIVERSALLY APPEALING, less sexist anime. Madoka status: TOLD.

Is there a particular reason why they chose those four anime? Did they all air in the same timeslot or something? The K-On analysis is interesting but I don't think the other figures are revealing in the slightest (duh, of course Black Butler skews to fujoshi and fewer women watch moe shows, however high-concept Madoka may be)

Also wonder why Strike Witches' audience is so heavily Kantou-skewed. And what does Chart #3 represent?

Instro

Anime by demographic:

Strike Witches is only 90% male? Surprising!

Guilty Crown 7
tumblr_lv7r54yZUr1r59wjoo1_500.gif

I thought it was a lovely episode. The way this handles nonfight scenes such as school and home is quite well, not intrusive or forced and help to develop Shu. The void was quite cool and
combing the firing of the missiles with the music playing and the people waltzing and Shu just being plain cool using it, was definitely one of the third tier highlights of the season
. I really cant wait for funimation to give the release date of the blu-rays.

Daryl, even though it was the most minor role possible, made me laugh. He was just not pleased.

Steroyd

Guilty Crown - 07

This is the first episode that made me genuinely believe it can achieve Code Geass levels of redicule.

Un-Go - 07

I take back the positives that I said about this show last week...

WAT WAT WAT

You have
entered the matrix
<--- would have went as an unspoilered joke at the start, but when that screen came up I might have inadvertantly been on the money. o_O

People who wanted Nichijou edited down will get their wish.

Broadcaster NHK has announced on their anime blog that the upcoming re-run of Nichijou (aka My Ordinary Life) on the (NHK) ETV channel will actually be a re-edited version of the series. While the full 26 episode series aired on various UHF stations from April to September earlier this year, starting on January 7th of 2012, ETV will be broadcasting a re-edited 12 episode version of the series. The blog does not offer any insight into what has been changed except to say to look forward to the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom