• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

28h0hfm.gif

Hah. The only complaint I heard about this show was that it was too long. Now everybody will be my Nichibro.

Although the disliking of this show was already pretty irrational anyway.

The main complaint was that the episodes were largely padded out with unfunny/boring nonesense with a funny segment that lasted a couple of minutes buried in an episode somewhere, that you might as well just youtube it, that's not a good sign for an episode that lasts 20 minutes, and a broadcaster sees it the same way to which speaks volumes.

Dynedom

Well, someone one already has that and they even have him as their name. But they're not posting for some strange reason...

I noticed there was a poster named Reuenthal too but alas without an avatar of the same character.

I guess the next best character would be Poplan.

Jex

Penguin 20:

While it's debatable which scenes happen in
reality
and which happen in
some other place
, I really enjoyed the scene between
Kanba and his parents, where they're talking about ideals, and he's single mindedly bent on saving Himari. Makes you wonder if they can hear him, or if they even exist.
I think it's quite possible that the show just
exists in a magical reality that's a warped take on our own.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Penguins 20

Anime still saved, the use of music in particular this time was particularly exceptional.
They managed to completely misdirect the story away from Shoma for 3/4ths of the show and no one batted an eye despite the fact that he's the main character. Well played Ikuhara.

you said what I was thinking, concisely and perfectly.

And I could not be more pleased with the outcome

Jex

Un-Good 6

That's the beautiful thing about these episodic shows, even if there's a number of bad episodes in the series, because each episode has the potential to tell it's own tale and be directed by a different director you have the potential for good stories to be told, much like this one.

weeaboo

Persona 4 - 8

So bad yet so good, so cheesy, so stupid. I can't believe how much I laughed. Yes, the anime is awful but this episode, dat fanservice, SO GOOD!. Persona 4 fans are going to enjoy this episode A LOT.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So Jexhius, ready to eat crow?

MPD 20

You said my observation that
Masako and Kanba were siblings
was farfetched, and that the evidence I was seeing was just me trying too hard. But I was right!
It was obvious.
Red hair, their being together in the Masako mannor, her also having a missing father, Masako seeing her father in Kanba on the train at the end of #16...

cajunator

Banned
Anime by demographic:

K-ON!!: 63% of the fans are male, 37% are female
Black Butler 2: 33.5% are male, 66.5% are female
Strike Witches: 90% are male, 10% are female
Madoka Magica: 71% are male, 29% are female

K-ON!(!) confirmed for most UNIVERSALLY APPEALING, less sexist anime. Madoka status: TOLD.

I'm honestly interested to see the demographic makeup of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei.

Jex

Un-Go 7

(In chronological order)

waaaaaaaamzlh.gif

22671983-wtf.gif

1239883733_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd-2.gif

NQGYr-1.gif

Is this the most Un-Go episode of Un-Go ever? The editing (reminiscent of the first episode, but turned up to 11) really helped make it even more disjointed and bizarre.

Andrew J.

Guilty Crown 07

Aha, his name is actually "Eagleman."

Mawaru Penguindrum 20

This whole conversation between Himari and Sanetoshi is too opaque. Symbolism overload!

Finally, some explanations for the Takakura family situation. This is coming awfully late in the series; I suppose it's the sort of thing where you're supposed to rewatch it all and see everything in a new light.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Guilty Crown 07

Aha, his name is actually "Eagleman."

Mawaru Penguindrum 20

This whole conversation between Himari and Sanetoshi is too opaque. Symbolism overload!

Finally, some explanations for the Takakura family situation. This is coming awfully late in the series; I suppose it's the sort of thing where you're supposed to rewatch it all and see everything in a new light.

MPD 20:

There are six child characters in the show: Himari, Shouma, Ringo, Kanba, Masako, Mario, and two main families, the Natsumes and Takakuras, each of which are high-level executives in the Penguin Force/KIGA group. Penguin Force/KIGA may actually be two separate groups each run by one of the families, with the same ultimate goal but different methods. Not sure, still trying to figure it out, will probably become much more clear as the show ends.

As far as familial relationships go... every one of the six children is a member of the natsume or takakura family either biologically or through adoption (excluding Ringo).

Ringo: Not a takakura or Natsume in any way, shape, or form. (But she may end up hitched to Shouma, making her a takakura :p)
Masako: Biologically and raised as a Natsume. The younger sister of Kanba biologically.
Shouma: Biologically and raised as a takakura.
Himari: Bioologically, she's not a member of either family. She's was just a random neighbor of Shouma. "Adopted" by Shouma as a Takakura.
Mario: Raised as a Natsume. Biological origin/relations not completely certain yet I think.
Kanba: Biologically a Natsume, and Masako's older brother. Somehow he ended up being adopted as a Takakura. Perhaps he was banished, seen as unfit to lead the Natsume family by their grandfather?

Both Shouma and Kanba seem to have had their own fate apples.

Branduil

Penguin Drum 20

How electrifying.

I think this was easily the best episode of the second half of the show, so far. Easily. Every element worked together to create an incredible whole, and it tells a coherent story in its own right while also answering numerous questions that pertain to the overall arc. And the backgrounds of the
apartment complex
were magnificent and communicated the themes of the episode without words.

Branduil

PA Works will now be known as the "ugly no-noses Voldemort-like faces" studio.
Surely that's better than being known as the Angel Beats studio.

Actually, some of the backgrounds in that preview are shockingly good considering the studio. It was certainly atmospheric, though that's easier to maintain in a short preview.

Branduil

They're moe. I hope Rei gets eye damage in the third Rebuild.

Insert joke about bad CGI here.
Penguins 20

Anime still saved, the use of music in particular this time was particularly exceptional.
They managed to completely misdirect the story away from Shoma for 3/4ths of the show and no one batted an eye despite the fact that he's the main character. Well played Ikuhara.

I don't know if we can say who the main character is yet, or if there is one.
The Blood-C movie has a full title now:

BLOOD-C: THE LAST DARK

omggggggggggg

Well given that even the title doesn't end properly I kind of doubt the movie will.
What was wrong with this?

fYVOT.jpg

Well the show is going to be CGI.

Well I know how I'll watch Nichijou.

Jex

Un-Go 6

An actually enjoyable episode? A mistery that was nice to follow, which involved most of the main players while at the same time introducing new ones in a way that didn't really seem forced all the while keeping up with some of the themes they've been handling throughout the show's run and, most important of all, little to no verbal diarrhea on part of Shinjurou. It even had a little Sky Doll reference for good measure.

My word, this show is so unpredictable. I might just start watching it for reasons other than its ED. Namely, stuffed doll Sasa doing whatever.

There's definitely a lot to...say...about Un-Go. I'm not calling it a bad show, or a good one, but it's certainly proving to be quiet unique (which, as above, isn't always a good thing).

Branduil

Penguin 20:

Too much to process.
Kenzan is Masako and Kanba's dad apparently, though very likely not Shoma's. Masako wants Kanba despite them being relatives (related through a shared father but not mother, potentially). The child broiler is very real, and likely related to Sanetoshi and the Dark Bunnies (potentially to the Penguins, who may be invisible children...) My mind is so full of fuck on that front.

I love the parallel between
Himari and Shoma adopting the cat, and Shoma essentially adopting Himari.
I also love the continued
flirtation between Sanetoshi and Himari, with Himari not really having any of it.

While it's debatable which scenes happen in
reality
and which happen in
some other place
, I really enjoyed the scene between
Kanba and his parents, where they're talking about ideals, and he's single mindedly bent on saving Himari. Makes you wonder if they can hear him, or if they even exist.

Anime saved. Ikuhara in my mouth, all day, every day.

I think it's quite possible that the show just
exists in a magical reality that's a warped take on our own.

That seems like the best explanation at this point.

GJS

Un-Go 7

(In chronological order)

Is this the most Un-Go episode of Un-Go ever? The editing (reminiscent of the first episode, but turned up to 11) really helped make it even more disjointed and bizarre.

The prequel theatrical release gives people more information to understand this episode fully from what I've heard, so it's not really disjointed and bizarre considering the timing of the release and the airing of this episode.

The prequel theatrical release gives people more information to understand this episode fully from what I've heard, so it's not really disjointed and bizarre considering the timing of the release and the airing of this episode.

I do find it bizarre that you'd be expected to go to a theatrical film in the middle of a TV show's airing to be able to understand it.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 ep 8
tumblr_lv8evdrgRC1qag0dwo1_500.gif

Interesting episode that felt different then others. The Kisa Yukina plot wasnt a favorite from the previous season but still decent nonetheless. I like the suspense the episode threw in and the cliffhanger, wow. First few minutes were great.

I'd say making people watch a prequel theatrical release to fully understand an episode of Un-Go is the definition of disjointed and bizzare.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 ep 8
tumblr_lv8evdrgRC1qag0dwo1_500.gif

Interesting episode that felt different then others. The Kisa Yukina plot wasnt a favorite from the previous season but still decent nonetheless. I like the suspense the episode threw in and the cliffhanger, wow. First few minutes were great.
Are they just dragging out the three relationships from S1, or are there new guys to look at?

LordCanti

Penguins 20

There is so much to re-watch for.
Momoka's shoes at the first meeting, and not at the second. Himari's doll (that has an eye patch and is kind of beaten up in the present) in it's pristine state. Her slippers that are white bunnies, compared to the dark bunnies that Sanetoshi keeps around.

My guess would be that
Momoka's mother/father (maybe one or the other) was a follower of Kenzan's, and took her to the meeting. That explains how she would know about their plans, and how to stop them.

I'm sure I'd find more hidden plot points if I watched a third time.

trejo

Sket Dance 34

That girl's art vastly improved as far as I'm concerned.

Onee-san is the kind of hot who isn't really aware she's hot.

Yami

Guilty Crown 7

Lovely episode really. Shu's mother, yum. Also what was with the
photo at the end?

MORE NEXT TIME.

PENGUINDRUMUUUU TIME.

Dresden

guilty crown - 7

dat misatoclone

dat asukaclone

dat kallenclone

dat shinjiclone

dat moeslutreiclone (inferior version featuring two whole eyes)

dat notfinishingtheepisodebecauseitsprettyshittyandmyspacebarbrokefromhowborediwas

i want to love gc so much. ;___;

trejo

Guilty Crown 7

Hilarious episode. Highly retarded and not afraid to show a little action Just the way I like 'em.

The Nutcracker was used to 'brilliant' effect and serves the double purpose of letting you know there is a touch of class to the whole thing in spite of all the skin, MILFs and Gai's official pimp status. Bravo.

And Dan motherfuckin' Eagleman is the villain this show desperately needed. This can only come back to bite me in the ass in the long run but consider me back on the hype train.

trejo

Ben-to 7

Some would argue that the ridiculous premise, gratuitous fanservice and paper thin characters are not enough to sustain this show. Not me, though. I am still loving this shit.

Yami

drum of penguin

my mind is full of fuck. errrrr. i'm barely following it despite watching them all properly! thank gaf for discussion to help ease my brain.

going to do a rewatch when it wraps up, and then i'll hopefully be all happy and glowy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom