• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The SLI profile was included with the previous beta release.

People keep saying that but my 285.79 drivers do no give me the benefits of SLI, the framerate is the same , sometimes even better, with 1 560 ti as it is with two 560 tis.

Enco

If you wanna see a mega gif with AO, check this out:

Didn't want to properly link it because it's like 20MB and someone with a bandwidth cap will probably hate me.

Turned out faster than expected.

Sethos

Banned
Man, AMD's driver numbering and releases is starting to become a real clusterfuck or is that just me? They have the normal drivers, then they have those occasional driver fixes, then they even have driver iterations of the same driver marked by the letters and THEN they even have preview drivers. They even have SEPARATE CF PROFILES :|

Sethos

Banned
Just tried the latest Nvidia drivers and the AO shadow shimmering is still there for me, very visible on Performance, less visible on Quality and even less on High Quality but it's still there on HQ. So still a big no-go for me, unfortunately.

kodt

Banned
Am I the only one who feels it would be cheating to increase my carry weight limit? I'm all for modding when it makes the game better in various ways, but when it makes it easier...? Nah. Managing how much you're carrying is part of the challenge, I think. Increasing that limit every time you become overencumbered just removes realism and immersion. But that's me.

You're running it that well on an Intel HD 3000? Didn't think that was possible. My laptop has the same integrated GPU, but also a GeForce GT 555M, so I'm obviously running it on that one (getting very playable framerates with everything set to High).

Are you really getting a solid 30 fps, though? I get that (and above) in most situations, but in some towns and such it will drop down into the 20s.

Yeah I did some more testing, a few areas will make it drop in the 20s. The Thieves Guild area seems to make it chug a bit. I had occasional drops into the low 20s in some battles so I switched to Low settings (still looks pretty good) and I get around 30-40fps just running around.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Found my worst area so far in the game. In Markath as you come out of the underground or whatever that area the Jarl is in, just sit there with that waterfall on the left. It's dipped to 29 there. And the dumb part is that there's not a lot of rendering like a vista like view. There's rock in front of me about 30 yards away and it prevents the game from rendering a more distant view. I can view the town from my house and gets better frames.

Found my worst area so far in the game. In Markath as you come out of the underground or whatever that area the Jarl is in, just sit there with that waterfall on the left. It's dipped to 29 there. And the dumb part is that there's not a lot of rendering like a vista like view. There's rock in front of me about 30 yards away and it prevents the game from rendering a more distant view. I can view the town from my house and gets better frames.

Yeah that's definitely one of the worst ones.

Wow that was quite a quest, finally found why while my setup can achieve 60fps+ in dungeons and in the fields, whenever I entered any town it would dip to 25fps,

Wasnt the shadows, its the LOD for objects and NPC, there are 3 lines at the end of the SkyrimPrefs.

Changing them from this:
LOD Fade out for Multi-Actors 7.5
LOD Fade out for Multi-Items 6.5
LOD Fade out for Multi-Objects 7.5

To this:

LOD Fade out for Multi-Actors 4.5
LOD Fade out for Multi-Items 3.5
LOD Fade out for Multi-Objects 4.5

Saw my FPS going up from 25fps to 45fps in towns, so much better, of course the problem is that you dont see people until you are really close to them :(

Enco

PC GAF: Educate me on which AO method I should go for. I'm running a GTX 470 OC at 1080p BTW.
You mean Fallout 3/Skyrim/Performance etc. in the Nvidia Inspector?

If so, the Skyrim/Fallout 3 ones are the best looking but underwater they look like shit and in very misty/foggy areas they look like shit. No way you can run high quality well (don't know anyone who can). However, there is minimal difference between the three quality settings. Th COD6 AO is better in misty areas but not as good in normal areas.

You mean Fallout 3/Skyrim/Performance etc. in the Nvidia Inspector?

If so, the Skyrim/Fallout 3 ones are the best looking but underwater they look like shit and in very misty/foggy areas they look like shit. No way you can run high quality well (don't know anyone who can). However, there is minimal difference between the three quality settings. Th COD6 AO is better in misty areas but not as good in normal areas.

Yes that's what I meant. Which one is the best choice then in terms of impact/quality? Also, I heard about FC2 AO, is that any good?

Enco

Yes that's what I meant. Which one is the best choice then in terms of impact/quality? Also, I heard about FC2 AO, is that any good?
I posted some comparison shots a few pages back.

You'll just have to try it out to see how your system handles it. Far Cry 2 doesn't look as good as Fallout 3/Skyrim. However, it's slightly less taxing. I recommend you try COD6 at quality level, Far Cry 2 and performance level and Skyrim at performance level and then picking the one you want.

Most of them look the same. I tried the COD ones, L4D ones, AC, RE5 and a load of others. Performance was very close.

spirity

From: http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/11/28/skyrim-1-2-update/

Today we’ve begun rolling out Skyrim’s 1.2 update for PlayStation 3. The update is already available for users in Europe and we will let you know as soon as it’s up in North America.
Our current ETA for Xbox 360 and PC players is Wednesday.

UPDATE 1.2 NOTES (all platforms unless specified)

Improved occasional performance issues resulting from long term play (PlayStation 3)
Fixed issue where textures would not properly upgrade when installed to drive (Xbox 360)
Fixed crash on startup when audio is set to sample rate other than 44100Hz (PC)
Fixed issue where projectiles did not properly fade away
Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead
Dragon corpses now clean up properly
Fixed rare issue where dragons would not attack
Fixed rare NPC sleeping animation bug
Fixed rare issue with dead corpses being cleared up prematurely
Skeleton Key will now work properly if player has no lockpicks in their inventory
Fixed rare issue with renaming enchanted weapons and armor
Fixed rare issue with dragons not properly giving souls after death
ESC button can now be used to exit menus (PC)
Fixed occasional mouse sensitivity issues (PC)
General functionality fixes related to remapping buttons and controls (PC)

After releasing the 1.2 update, we will continue to monitor forums, blogs, etc. for issues you are reporting, and we will keep you updated on further updates to improve your gameplay experience.

LiquidMetal14

That's the entirety of it? No more optimizations for PC or higher RAM fix? I can't believe that's it. I know there are some quest breaks but there has to be more for PC.

nataku

That sounds like a pretty shitty patch.

I see one crash on startup fix issue related to sound, but that's it? What about all the times I crash randomly with no error in the middle of playing?

spirity

That sounds like a pretty shitty patch.

I see one crash on startup fix issue related to sound, but that's it? What about all the times I crash randomly with no error in the middle of playing?

Yeah, I'm getting that quite regularly now. I thought the 4gb memory thing was gonna fix it but turns out it doesn't make a difference for me. Hard to really immerse yourself in the game when you're expecting to ctd at any moment. Sigh.

I posted some comparison shots a few pages back.

You'll just have to try it out to see how your system handles it. Far Cry 2 doesn't look as good as Fallout 3/Skyrim. However, it's slightly less taxing. I recommend you try COD6 at quality level, Far Cry 2 and performance level and Skyrim at performance level and then picking the one you want.

Most of them look the same. I tried the COD ones, L4D ones, AC, RE5 and a load of others. Performance was very close.

I'll look for your post later, thanks.

Is there any reason to go for MSAA over FXAA as I thought FXAA was pretty good for a minimal performance hit?

Those patch details are pretty disappointing. I want them to fix the disappearing textures, purple textures, the buggy quests, and most of all, the random and rampant CTDs.

Ashodin

What a shitty patch! But the fixes mentioned in (specifically the dragon not giving souls and renaming weapons) thing I probably am going to have to use the 4GB launcher for now.

LiquidMetal14

well we're listing 11.11a in the op :p from the link AMD Catalyst 11.11a "Performance Driver" (8.911.1 November 18)

LOL Sorry LOL they are 11.11b on the link for sure though.

I may have accidentally copied the old link in too. Damn, thanks for catching that one.

*Reads Patch Details*

That's it? No PC performance tweaks/fixes/enhancements?

That's an incredibly poor patch considering the issues all three sku's have.

Special J

Banned

Is there any reason to go for MSAA over FXAA as I thought FXAA was pretty good for a minimal performance hit?

image quality. FXAA is nothing but a filter it does a good job but its still guessing on pixels. MSAA actually uses sub pixel geometry so its accurate. so things in the distance will typically be better with msaa.

FXAA built in is imo pretty terrible it does edge smoothing but it destroys alot of the detail which makes it look sorta like a water color painting with no real definition. however the FXAA injector does a fantastic job.

but ya msaa is too expensive. so unless you can spare gpu cycles fxaa injector should be used.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Wait... is that it? Or is those just highlights? I can't progress any further in the Companions quest line, seems like a pretty big ass bug.

Enco

Here you go :)

Without AO:

With AO (Fallout 3):

Took the screenshot on the highest quality AO.

Without any AO, I get 60-75 fps on average outside. With the smallest AO, I get 45-60.

edit: after playing around, I can see no difference (well minute) between the highest and lowest quality AO. Fallout 3 looks better than Far Cry 2 and Oblivion but the frame rate is a tad worse. Both Far Cry 2 and Oblivion AO look much better than the game without AO. I would stick with the FC2 one if you can't run the F3 one. Enabling V-sync in the nvidia inspector seems to help. At least I get less tearing.

edit 2: Actually, I'm not sure if FC2 is better than Oblivion. It'll be down to personal taste. Here are some comparison shots:

Oblivion AO:

Far Cry 2 AO:

I have about 46 Alto Wines in my inventory i can't get rid of because one is for a quest, supposedly. Fix that shit Bethesda.
Yea, that sucks.

bengraven

USp3N.png

MOTHERFUCK

MrBig

I have about 46 Alto Wines in my inventory i can't get rid of because one is for a quest, supposedly. Fix that shit Bethesda.

You can use a console command to get rid of them
player.removeitem 0003133b 46

e: there are two entries for Alto Wine, try 000c5349 if needed

I dunno. Patch seems pretty good to me - those seem to be the biggest issues, outside the large address aware exe.

Give me those things with a laa exe and I'd be satisfied for now.

LiquidMetal14

I dunno. Patch seems pretty good to me - those seem to be the biggest issues, outside the large address aware exe.

Give me those things with a laa exe and I'd be satisfied for now.

I'm rather surprised that they aren't even talking to the community about it more. CPU, GPU, RAM issues. I guess the community can fix the game for them.

Sethos

Banned
Bethesda will never release an official LAA exe.

We aren't asking for them to release an .exe with the LAA flag, we're asking them to fix the fucking CTDs. How they do it is up to them.

As much as I love the game, it's sad that the community has to downright fix it. Improve it? Fine. Fix it? Dammit.

LiquidMetal14

I hate when I talk to someone and it won't let me back out of the conversation. I can't even pause or TCL my way out. You simply have to alt tab out and close it and restart. That's an issue among others that needs fixing. I did get another one of them dragon corpses rise from the ground. This time I looted it and it had loot like I just killed it though hahaha

Tried enabling SSAO in the new Nvidia drivers. On both performance and quality it looks pretty nice but I get this weird flickering in some places, and in others it doesn't work at all.

Weird flickering.

I hate when I talk to someone and it won't let me back out of the conversation. I can't even pause or TCL my way out. You simply have to alt tab out and close it and restart.

Every time that's happened to me so far I've found that if I wait for 45 seconds or more the person I'm talking to gets bored and wanders off. Don't know if that's the same issue though.

LiquidMetal14

Tried enabling SSAO in the new Nvidia drivers. On both performance and quality it looks pretty nice but I get this weird flickering in some places, and in others it doesn't work at all.

Weird flickering.

Every time that's happened to me so far I've found that if I wait for 45 seconds or more the person I'm talking to gets bored and wanders off. Don't know if that's the same issue though.

Damn it literally just happened again like 1 minute ago and just quit. I have to leave anyways but lost 10 minutes of game time. I will try that next time.

Top Bottom