• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

How do you get vehicles and hawks to reappear after they've been destroyed?
Go to the area that created them (Razorback/Starhawk depo) and pay the Rift Energy cost to spawn another. If no depo exists/has been destroyed, you have to make another structure that creates them.

gibration

Go to the area that created them (Razorback/Starhawk depo) and pay the Rift Energy cost to spawn another. If no depo exists/has been destroyed, you have to make another structure that creates them.

Ah, thanks! I feel like there's a lot to learn compared to Warhawk which I thought was pretty easy to pick up and play. A tutorial would be nice.

Remember when nabbing a flag required air support? Is that even viable anymore? What about base capture/defense?

Erm no, it's all about managing resources now which totally kills the amazing flow of warhawk. Guess I'm gonna keep hatin' =/.

Remember when nabbing a flag required air support? Is that even viable anymore? What about base capture/defense?

Erm no, it's all about managing resources now which totally kills the amazing flow of warhawk. Guess I'm gonna keep hatin' =/.

I'm not keen on the current beta, but it's entirely possible this is an issue because of the smaller maps.

Is 32 BnB items per team the ceiling for BnB? I ask because that could be a real pain in the ass for even larger maps.

Acid sea map needs better RE barrel locations. The sea side mining locations are crap. It requires too much farming, being a mule to carry the stock to the center of the map and crap out fortifications where most players tend to go for flag caps.

I build the best god damn bases ever. :3

Pod Beacon, Supply Depot, Garage, Jet Pack Pad, Hawk Pad. YOUR ONE STOP MURDER SHOP! <3

PhiLonius

Just had a fun/hilarious match in that second GAF room. Dropping a pod on the guy who had our flag, and who had just killed me, as he was trying to pull off in the jeep he had just built was the main highlight of this beta so far. Also knifing someone as he was waiting for me to come out of the pod.

The melee is pretty killer though. Seems to get you even if there is quite a bit of distance between players.

F-Pina

They really have to implement a way to destroy/disable buildings you have already made without having to go back to them.

You get to 32 points used in structures pretty fast if all players are doing the right thing, but then if you need to move the middle base further or change things around quickly you have to go around disabling things and they might not even be your buildings.
Maybe an option on the wheel where you build things, there could be a number on the buildings you already built and with another key you would disable them.

The barrels seem right, on the space map they are perfectly placed. Lot's of interesting games and strategies. On the Acid Sea you can shoot them from almost the middle of the map if you crouch and aim.

Also, it is cool to be on the Razorback assaulting the opposite team AND dropping turrets at the same time. Hawks will probably make more sense with the big maps.

Tactics I am using:
- Build a turret AND put a land mine on it, if somebody tries to disable it BOOOM
- Old school Warhawk strategy: put a landmine ON the landmine pickup item
- Even more cool oldschool stuff: put landmines on enemy Hawks, Razorbacks, doors, heck! keep on pumping them
- Enter the enemy bunker from the top in the enemy base, fire away protected from inside. If somebody is coming in drop grenade before the door opens.

Space Map strategy:
Spawn right in the middle top of the available area, when the pod is dropping push into the middle of the map and you will land near the first batch of barrels, destroy with rifle close distance, keep running down and go to the middle, pick landmines and destroy barrels on your right with grenade, build turret between boxes and put landmine on it. Destroy barrels in front and the other ones from affar crouching to keep a good aim, build bunker, first batch of barrels you landed on should have respawned, keep building, dominate middle :p

casabolg

Banned
Honestly, I am generally happy with the hawks right now. They're fast and can deal damage to infantry fast.
I don't want it overpowered like it was in Warhawk.

Grinchy

Banned
Got a key, installed beta, got the "loading..." issue that many were describing in past pages. I guess I'll just make my own room and run around to check things out.

edit- Wow this is fucking cool! I'm just running around alone blowing shit up and building things, but this is going to be awesome I can tell. The jetpack feels very nice. The graphics aren't too shabby either, I was expecting worse. And the hawks are nice too. Just tried the space level. Can't wait to actually play this soon.

Tactics I am using:
- Build a turret AND put a land mine on it, if somebody tries to disable it BOOOM
- Old school Warhawk strategy: put a landmine ON the landmine pickup item
- Even more cool oldschool stuff: put landmines on enemy Hawks, Razorbacks, doors, heck! keep on pumping them
- Enter the enemy bunker from the top in the enemy base, fire away protected from inside. If somebody is coming in drop grenade before the door opens.

If you like using mines try this- Throw 2 mines on the top of a hawk or the front of a razorback. Then look for an enemy in either a hawk or razorback. If you pass by them close enough the mines will actually jump from your vehicle to theirs, killing them. :D You have to be careful though, if you get to close to a ground troop the mines will detonate but they'll stay on your vehicle and you'll get blown up.

F-Pina

If you like using mines try this- Throw 2 mines on the top of a hawk or the front of a razorback. Then look for an enemy in either a hawk or razorback. If you pass by them close enough the mines will actually jump from your vehicle to theirs, killing them. :D You have to be careful though, if you get to close to a ground troop the mines will detonate but they'll stay on your vehicle and you'll get blown up.

Awesome, have to try this out.

Desmond

Played my first match. Fun as fuck!

took out 2 hawks with jetpack/rifle combo.
after the match I was stuck on a loading screen, had to quit to XMB

DireStr8s

I hope Lightbox is super careful when rebalancing the hawks. When Warhawk first came out the planes were criticised as paper tigers. Then tactics & skill levels evolved & those once easy targets became abusive harbringers of death.

As it stands, a pilot with common sense & decent aim can nearly guarantee himself 3 ground kills in mech form with the homing missile pick up. Additionally, swarm missile stocks have been buffed up greatly. Although swarms are not as powerful as homers there is no doubt that with time pilots will develop extreme accuracy & effective methods in using them. Also, we should keep in mind we are not playing with the full arsenal.

I'm all for tweaks & rebalancing, I just hope Lightbox considers the potential skill ceiling willl probably get very high for this game. My gut says even if they left the Warhawk as is, by the end of they beta they would emerge as a dominating force.

The big update is here!

Starhawk Private BETA Update: 1.1.1

Friday, December 16, 2011 At 2:37PM
Today's 1.1.1 update for the Starhawk Private BETA was deployed during the regular server maintenance at 2pm Central and contained the following changes:

New hybrid Organic/Canned missile scrub system.
Prepped engine for Classic Arcade Flight (currently disabled).
New per-weapon reticules for Troop, Hawk & Razorback.
Fixed voice drop-outs between games.
Added Team Deathmatch Gameplay mode.
Added control panel to Supply Bunker.
Friend's games can now be joined via Uplink.
Added LAG Switch protection.
Fixed numerous bugs and crashes.
Fixed bug that was resetting player level when quitting a game.
Fixed JetPack CTF flight exploit.
Fixed Announcement sorting.
Fixed server-list scrolling bug.
Fixed crash related to Air Mines.
Added XMB display of Starhawk Game Status.
Added functionality to send friends XMB messages from the Uplink.
Fixed bug preventing Drop Pods from destroying Auto-Turrets on impact
Added matchmaker now supports both CTF and TDM
Integrated better protections for trying to join full games
Fixed Missing Razorback 4x4 particle FX in Space Map
Added load-bar display when BETA updates are being downloaded.
Increased news ticker scroll speed in the Uplink
Fix bug related to PSN icons not rendering properly in the Uplink

New Hybrid Missile Scrub:
Due to player feedback we have we have now developed new system for scrubing missiles in Starhawk. The goal of this system is to support *BOTH* the organic, free-from maneuvers from Warhawk and the easier "canned" dodges that were included in our first release of the Starhawk Private BETA. We are excited about this new system and we strongly feel that it will give players an accessible yet deep system that supports both newbie and hardcore players. Please know that this new system included with the 1.1.1 Update does not represent "final" tuning -- we are planning to release several updates next week to tune the new missile scrub system so please give us feedback!

Prepping for Classic Arcade Flight:
Also due to feedback from our community, we are in the process of re-enabling the Warhawk Classic Arcade flight mode. It is currently disabled in the flight options screen until we resolve a few more issues and perform a QA pass on it but we are diligently working on it and will deploy an update to the Starhawk Private BETA as soon as we "clear" the feature.

Today's 1.1.1 Update was quite large so please take some time to test the game tonight and this weekend and give us feedback -- we *are* listening and greatly appreciate all of you BETA-Testing Starhawk!!

Just played on the neogaf server. Was pleased with the gameplay. I have high expectations.

Not crazy about the art, but the gameplay feels very "Warhawk" like.

TDM with buildings and everything is chaotic and i love it.

TDM is great. Really opens the game up when people aren't just building giant fortresses. You also aren't hitting the 32 struture as quickly either.

Don't forget guys, Dylan Jobe (LBI president) will be on LIVE talking about the beta at 9pm Eastern (1 hour from now). Go HERE to listen.

Donos

To easy to dominate space map. They should limit the shields. They camped on the tower by the spawn with spawn pods, shield and everything

Announcement: Private Beta Update 1.1.10 Hide Details

Today's 1.1.1 update for the Starhawk Private BETA was deployed during the regular server maintenance at 2pm Central and contained the following changes:

&#8226; New hybrid Organic/Canned missile scrub system.
&#8226; Prepped engine for Classic Arcade Flight (currently disabled).
&#8226; New per-weapon reticules for Troop, Hawk & Razorback.
&#8226; Fixed voice drop-outs between games.
&#8226; Added Team Deathmatch Gameplay mode.
&#8226; Added control panel to Supply Bunker.
&#8226; Friend's games can now be joined via Uplink.
&#8226; Added LAG Switch protection.
&#8226; Fixed numerous bugs and crashes.
&#8226; Fixed bug that was resetting player level when quitting a game.
&#8226; Fixed JetPack CTF flight exploit.
&#8226; Fixed Announcement sorting.
&#8226; Fixed server-list scrolling bug.
&#8226; Fixed crash related to Air Mines.
&#8226; Added XMB display of Starhawk Game Status.
&#8226; Added functionality to send friends XMB messages from the Uplink.
&#8226; Fixed bug preventing Drop Pods from destroying Auto-Turrets on impact
&#8226; Added matchmaker now supports both CTF and TDM
&#8226; Integrated better protections for trying to join full games
&#8226; Fixed Missing Razorback 4x4 particle FX in Space Map
&#8226; Added load-bar display when BETA updates are being downloaded.
&#8226; Increased news ticker scroll speed in the Uplink
&#8226; Fix bug related to PSN icons not rendering properly in the Uplink

New Hybrid Missile Scrub:
Due to player feedback we have we have now developed new system for scrubing missiles in Starhawk. The goal of this system is to support *BOTH* the organic, free-from maneuvers from Warhawk and the easier "canned" dodges that were included in our first release of the Starhawk Private BETA. We are excited about this new system and we strongly feel that it will give players an accessible yet deep system that supports both newbie and hardcore players. Please know that this new system included with the 1.1.1 Update does not represent "final" tuning -- we are planning to release several updates next week to tune the new missile scrub system so please give us feedback!

Prepping for Classic Arcade Flight:
Also due to feedback from our community, we are in the process of re-enabling the Warhawk Classic Arcade flight mode. It is currently disabled in the flight options screen until we resolve a few more issues and perform a QA pass on it but we are diligently working on it and will deploy an update to the Starhawk Private BETA as soon as we "clear" the feature.

Stats, SkillScore and Level Reset:
Durring today's maintenance we've also reset all player Stats, SkillScore and Level. This will need to be done from time to time during the course of the Private BETA. We know it is never a good feeling to have your level re-set but it's an important part of the Private BETA process, so thank you all for your patience and understanding!

Today's 1.1.1 Update was quite large so please take some time to test the game tonight and this weekend and give us feedback -- we *are* listening and greatly appreciate all of you BETA-Testing Starhawk!!
by LBI_Ron (Dec 16, 2011)
Told you guys.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33501226&postcount=651

Still sucks. Does a jetpack provide added armor? Spent forever shooting a guy and never killed him.

And fuck, knowing when I'm being shot at sucks. No feedback at all it seems and blue triangles seem to show up too late.

Hate this game so much. Why do I have to struggle to find weapons or vehicles? WHY?! FFS, man.

Still sucks. Does a jetpack provide added armor? Spent forever shooting a guy and never killed him.
Jetpack NEVER provided extra armor. Use a rocket launcher or fly after him to flush them out.
And fuck, knowing when I'm being shot at sucks. No feedback at all it seems and blue triangles seem to show up too late.
Wait, knowing that you're getting shot at is bad? Outside of the dang sniper laser that's a good thing. Dunno what you mean.
Hate this game so much. Why do I have to struggle to find weapons or vehicles? WHY?! FFS, man.
You're struggling in a pre-Beta to find shit. How many games have you played alone in a room where you just scoured every detail of the map in Warhawk just to see what is where? Because I did it plenty of times, and that was one of the 1st things I did in the Beta here. Hell, I still make solo rooms and try to chart/force potential bugs for Starhawk. Adapt or die, man. Right now people right now are in 7th heaven on the forums... why?

We're actually seeing dog-fighting in the TDM games. REAL DOG-FIGHTING. And think, we're still locked in the 16-max players thing. They have shown they're bringing back the old Warhawk flight style. They're working on the knife. They're working on a better aiming system (actually already tweaked it) and other fixes are on the way. Again, Dylan Jobe (who looks like a goddamn hipster from Scott Pilgrim or something) and Co. have shown they are very receptive about tweaking the product to suit vets and new players alike. Even though we know there are still alot of things we would like changed, the speed of the fixes and feedback of the devs make us (the community) feel like they're actively listening.

Jetpack NEVER provided extra armor. Use a rocket launcher or fly after him to flush them out.

Wait, knowing that you're getting shot at is bad? Outside of the dang sniper laser that's a good thing. Dunno what you mean.

You're struggling in a pre-Beta to find shit. How many games have you played alone in a room where you just scoured every detail of the map in Warhawk just to see what is where? Because I did it plenty of times, and that was one of the 1st things I did in the Beta here. Hell, I still make solo rooms and try to chart/force potential bugs for Starhawk. Adapt or die, man. Right now people right now are in 7th heaven on the forums... why?

We're actually seeing dog-fighting in the TDM games. REAL DOG-FIGHTING. And think, we're still locked in the 16-max players thing. They have shown they're bringing back the old Warhawk flight style. They're working on the knife. They're working on a better aiming system (actually already tweaked it) and other fixes are on the way. Again, Dylan Jobe (who looks like a goddamn hipster from Scott Pilgrim or something) and Co. have shown they are very receptive about tweaking the product to suit vets and new players alike. Even though we know there are still alot of things we would like changed, the speed of the fixes and feedback of the devs make us (the community) feel like they're actively listening.
I meant the lack of knowing where, when and how I'm being shot at. Seems wonky.

And that's mostly what I do, play by myself. Still doesn't account for random depot placements. Map knowledge is almost useless. I get they're going for something unique but I hate it. Thought I'd like it but in practice, it truly sucks. Some may be ok with it but doesn't mean they're right =P.

But seriously, my interest in the online portion of Starhawk is nil. Nothing will beat the days of knowing where to find vehicles and weapons and capturing/defending bases. This just seems like a cheap knock-off trying something new but fails.

Something I would like to see added is for the sniper tower, beam cannon and bunker to be linked to walls if placed next to a wall or if a wall is placed next to them. This would make builds more like a fortress and offer weaker points in the perimeter.

Melee also needs to be nerfed very soon. The lag and the hit range basically make melee a win button at the moment.

Rocket damage vs. Troopers should be reduced and jet packs should have the ability to drop off automatically at the cost of an instant overheat. Right now you can avoid one rocket lock, but there is no way to avoid the second.

Donos

again, on small maps (like the space map), they should limit the amout of bubbleshields to 1-2 or at least make them more vulneable (like 15 rockets). A lot of fun with TDM but i never really liked CTF in any game (excpept on LAN Partys or with a huge group of friends)

tfur

I really hope they are talking about classic warhawk flight characteristics and not talking about normal flight. Normal flight should stay dead, as there are just too many exploits to that mode.

Normal flight and pro flight people do not belong on the same server/game.

Thrakier

So played it again. Still not feeling it. They need to fix the resposnivenes and the framerate when flying (unplayable for me right now). Tone down the blur a bit as well.

New update is a major improvement.

Unique weapon reticles, yay!

Although I'm having some issues with lock tone / locking onto enemies with homing missiles in a Hawk. Like it will lock on, then it will lock on again? @_@

I meant the lack of knowing where, when and how I'm being shot at. Seems wonky.

And that's mostly what I do, play by myself. Still doesn't account for random depot placements. Map knowledge is almost useless. I get they're going for something unique but I hate it. Thought I'd like it but in practice, it truly sucks. Some may be ok with it but doesn't mean they're right =P.

Sounds like you're not even trying man.

How hard is it to memorize RE barrel locations, spawn near them and make a mad dash grenade run to get as much RE as possible, then setting up your own fortifications where you need them? It's easier than anything once you know the RE barrel layouts.

Drop a pod beacon, drop a supply depot, mine more RE, drop a garage, drop a hawk pad. Suddenly you're awash in your own amazing supplies! Maybe a few well placed sentry guns posted around there to swat away attackers.

Do or do not, there is no BAWWWW!

I started off hating this damned thing, but over the past week I've been staying up until 3/5AM playing the f*cking thing. It's getting better, quickly.

Grinchy

Banned
I've played so much TF2 lately that it's really difficult to play this. I feel like I can't aim. I'm assuming that's because I need to get used to playing a shooter on a console again. I tried sniping and I couldn't have been less useful.

I really like the building element though.

Top Bottom