• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
playable chars I'd like in:
rival pokemon trainer
original Mario bros.
birdo or king wart
mario kart
mii

cameos:
gumshoe
professor from gyromite
tetrominoes
pilot wings
sin & pun
mario party
pkmn snap
captain rainbow

Link's stage is Beedle's shop

If you crash into Beedle, browse his items but not buy, and don't talk to him he'll instant KO you with his
floor trap

Hahaha, oh god I want this now. You just know there's going to be a Skyloft stage anyway. Probably the new Delfino Plaza-style shifting scenery stage.

Berordn

Hahaha, oh god I want this now. You just know there's going to be a Skyloft stage anyway. Probably the new Delfino Plaza-style shifting scenery stage.

Might work better as a Pokéfloats. You start on Levias, jump on a few loftwings which transport you to different islands... a few free-falling segments... And then Beedle shows up as instant death.

Might work better as a Pokéfloats. You start on Levias, jump on a few loftwings which transport you to different islands... a few free-falling segments... And then Beedle shows up as instant death.

:lol oh beedle

Speaking of Pokefloats... I hope they just say 'fuck it' and bring back all the old stages. I mean all of them too. Some could probably use an update or two- Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 should merged this time, possibly with new transformations and 5th/6th gen Pokemon in the background- but Brawl's stage line-up was too damn good to pick and choose from.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
:lol oh beedle

Speaking of Pokefloats... I hope they just say 'fuck it' and bring back all the old stages. I mean all of them too. Some could probably use an update or two- Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 should merged this time, possibly with new transformations and 5th/6th gen Pokemon in the background- but Brawl's stage line-up was too damn good to pick and choose from.

I miss pokefloats. It was a lot of fun with friends and items. It's so random. I hope that we will have many awesome stages :B

I am concerned what sakurai said about SSB4. He isn't going to focus on characters and stages this time. I don't want him to focus on waste of time stuff that we would rarely play.

Skip Stickers! Waste of time!

http://www.1up.com/news/masahiro-sakurai-reflects-super-smash

I really don't buy it since I've never heard any casual player say Melee was too difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdHTnpgpLDc

As long as Sakurai is still at the helm, I basically have no hype for Smash 4.

Well shit, that's lame logic. >:/

It's shit like this that makes me wonder why so many people think Sakurai is some saint that's above putting his personal feelings above shit. He even claimed that he didn't want to do online ranking because that 1,115th placed person would feel bad ...

I'm hoping that he is only saying this because it would be shitty PR to just outright say you're dumbing it down because of the target Nintendo is trying to reach with the Wii. Seems like making it "accessible" is the tagline given to any Nintendo game on the Wii because it's clearly mean't to be an everyone-console.

udivision

Skip Stickers! Waste of time!
Stickers should be the gateway to character customization in Multiplayer. Just like items, they could be turned off and what not, but it would be cool to spec your character to suit your playstyle.

Distance Mario:
+5 Range on FLUDD
-1 sec FLUDD Fill Time
+3% DMG on FireBall

-2% DMG All Ariels

or something...

Anth0ny

That is just such bullshit. Melee is no harder to play than brawl. Just because a game has some deeper mechanics doesn't mean it's hard to play or not accessible. You don't sell as well as melee did by only appealing to the small hardcore crowd (and judging by brawls sales they were hardly turned off the franchise).

They had a chance to have a series that could actually be played competitively whilst still being fun for the average gamer and they went and ruined it. Such a frustrating situation

Pretty much.

Fucking Sakurai.

Wow, I never knew Sakurai felt that way about Melee vs. Brawl.

That's kind of... shocking to be coming from a game designer. Surely he should know you can make a game both accessible AND deep?

I've never heard anyone complain about Melee being too hard. Also, I might have been the best among my friends, but I have no illusions about actually being good at Melee, and I never took the time to learn any of the stupid glitch-tricks or whatever. I just liked playing as Dr. Mario. U:

Although I really have no preference one way or the other in Melee vs. Brawl, but I definitely prefer both of those to 64's feel. As long as Smash 4 removes tripping (or at least makes it optional), I'll be content. X:

Oh, speaking of options, I would like the next game to allow me to store some preset options to make it easier to change things up quickly. U:

PokéKong

Stickers should be the gateway to character customization in Multiplayer. Just like items, they could be turned off and what not, but it would be cool to spec your character to suit your playstyle.

Distance Mario:
+5 Range on FLUDD
-1 sec FLUDD Fill Time
+3% DMG on FireBall

-2% DMG All Ariels

or something...

This is highly likely to be the sort of thing the 3DS game will implement, and then you transfer these specs to the WiiU game and mess up all its precious balance.

Maybe even deeper customization than that...
Luma sticker:
-FLUDD
+Luma Spin Jump

PokéKong;34195832 said:
This is highly likely to be the sort of thing the 3DS game will implement, and then you transfer these specs to the WiiU game and mess up all its precious balance.

Maybe even deeper customization than that...
Luma sticker:
-FLUDD
+Luma Spin Jump

Final Fantasy Dissidia is filled to the brim with things like that, and it's balanced just fine.

They not stupid or glitches. Why people gotta be like that. :(

Uh some of 'em are definitely not intended to be used that way. Call it glitches, exploits, whatever. Things were not meant to be like that, but they are, for whatever reason.

And I only called them stupid because I don't give a fuck about them. They might as well not exist for how often I think about them while playing the game.

udivision

Uh some of 'em are definitely not intended to be used that way. Call it glitches, exploits, whatever. Things were not meant to be like that, but they are, for whatever reason.

And I only called them stupid because I don't give a fuck about them. They might as well not exist for how often I think about them while playing the game.

EDIT: Nvm

I hope whoever makes SSB4 learns from the Melee -> Brawl transitions. Casual players don't care either way, competitive players are loud and they'll notice/appreciate/critique everything you do. Bother with the latter, the former will be there eitherway.

Well by that definition Brawl is also chock full of em but nobody likes to talk about those for some reason. Probably because those ones are actually a detriment to the game instead of making it fucking awesome.

*cough*infinitedimensionalcape*cough*

And that's why Melee is awesome. You don't even need to know they exist and it still pleases both camps of players.

Jezan

Ike is a decent character who is handicapped by being in a game where attack speed is king.
But there is something fun about playing with Ike (or King Dedede), maybe the sound and excess particle effects help :p

What I didn't like about Melee was that at 150% you could be sent flying to your doom, even heavy characters, hell at 100% a good hit is all you needed. And in Smash 64 and Brawl you could keep up a good fight at 300%!!!

Codeblue

Distance Mario:
+5 Range on FLUDD
-1 sec FLUDD Fill Time
+3% DMG on FireBall

-2% DMG All Ariels

or something...
I'm also of the opinion that they're going to try to pull something like this. That's probably one of the reasons Sakurai isn't balancing it all himself this time.

Well by that definition Brawl is also chock full of em but nobody likes to talk about those for some reason. Probably because those ones are actually a detriment to the game instead of making it fucking awesome.

Let's go back in time a bit. Did/do you really believe that that L-cancelling is intentional and not an exploit of game mechanics?
And that's why Melee is awesome. You don't even need to know they exist and it still pleases both camps of players.

Yes, I agree, and said as much in my original post.

Emitan

Let's go back in time a bit. Did/do you really believe that that L-cancelling is intentional and not an exploit of game mechanics?

Yes, I agree, and said as much in my original post.

L Canceling was in the N64 game and the official website told you how to do it. Hell, Brawl actually had L-canceling in it before it was released. This was back when tripping wasn't random.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am going to make a new thread for SSB4 Roster Contest very soon.

I am thinking about making one rule regarding with roster numbers.

I am going to let people decide how many characters will be in the game, but they will lose specific amount of points each character that didn't get in.

I am concern about that rule might be easily abused.

udivision

I am going to let people decide how many characters will be in the game, but they will lose specific amount of points each character that didn't get in.

Come back and make the thread in about 2 years.

JazzmanZ

just average out the number of new characters added in melee and brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Come back and make the thread in about 2 years.

No thanks... It would be nice if you just give me your opinions instead command me to come back and make the thread in about 2 years.

It's possible that we could get trailer this e3 or Nintendo conversation in Aug/Sept. We will never know but it's better if we just host it soon and make the list before the first video come out.

just average out the number of new characters added in melee and brawl.

That's other possibility choice that I have been thinking of. I would wage between 45-52 characters. Is it more safe bet if we just pick 55?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It doesn't matter if we get a trailer if the game is still years away. I aint falling for that shit again.

Yeah, It's very obvious that we wouldn't get it for a year or two. I pegged the date between Fall 2013 to Spring 2014.

It's just a contest where people will have to make their list and whoever have almost accurate or accurate list before the first trailer pop would win the reward. I am covering the expanse. (That's big if I still have enough money in future. :lol)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
HEY WHAT IF NINTENDO BECAME TROLLS AND USED STICKER STAT ALTERATION IN NORMAL GAMES!

Hahahaha oh god the backlash.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Would switch characters (Samus, Zelda, and Pokemon Trainer) count as one character for that purpose or count for as many characters as they have forms?

I guess I better follow with people's opinions that they count as one character..

You brought up a good point because I just thought that if old characters might have a new transformation character. It would be sticky situation.

Here is an idea. If people got transformation character correct then they could get bonus point if they are tied at end of the contest.

we also might have 2 very different casts, since we're getting 2 new games and not just 1

I am doing SSBU (Wii U) because it is traditional ssb. (according to sakurai)

udivision

HEY WHAT IF NINTENDO BECAME TROLLS AND USED STICKER STAT ALTERATION IN NORMAL GAMES!

You mean in multiplayer?
Some of us are asking for that...

This is Smash BTW. More options than you can dash a wave at. If they were put in, you wouldn't have to use them.

They could use it as part of an online progression system. Win matches with your character to level up and unlock more stickers. Could be fun, assuming the stickers are balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom