• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

ssb6lzpn.png

Thanks Rosti for the awesome banner!

Figured I'm not the only one who wants to start speculating so let's discuss everything from roster choices to gameplay! Heated arguments are more than welcome.

What we know so far:

The next Super Smash Bros. will be made for both 3DS and Wii U, with an emphasis on connectivity between the two versions. The portable version is said to be a more "personal" experience while the console one will be more "stadium-like."

It will be jointly developed by Project Sora and Namco Bandai Games. Key staff members include;

Masahiro Sakurai
Masaya Kobayashi (Ridge Racer, We Ski, Go Vacation)
Yoshito Higuchi (SoulCalibur, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Vesperia)
Tetsuya Akatsuka (Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS.)
Tekken's main development staff
and many more...

News:

Announcement of Sora X Namco collaboration
Iwata Asks: Super Smash Bros. (Via Andriasang)
"A change of direction might be needed in the next Smash Bros." - Sakurai

As someone who played advanced 64 and Melee for a while, I'm obviously more concerned about the gameplay mechanics than who makes it in. Brawl had a phenomenal roster but the game was a snoozefest when played semi-seriously. Nintendo should honestly go back to what made Melee work and tweak the speed just a bit. Why Melee if Brawl was more successful? Because the former simply had the perfect balance of fun for the casuals with enough depth for the hardcore, and that ties into Nintendo's desire of making the Wii U a platform that satisfies both demographics.

Roster-wise, the Nintendo side of things has been covered pretty extensively. There's just a handful of characters that can be added before we delve into Waluigi territory (i.e. shit nobody cares about). More 3rd party additions is where it's at.

Orayn

Once Japan Time starts again in earnest, I will hold a nightly candlelight vigil on both /v/ and GAF for the inclusion of Mega Man.
We haven't forgotten you, Blue Bomber. ;_;

yencid

Orayn said:
Once Japan Time starts again in earnest, I will hold a nightly candlelight vigil on both /v/ and GAF for the inclusion of Mega Man.
but capcom has

Madao

i'm going to predict that some secondary characters from SSBB will get axed like the SSBM chars that didn't return and more raging will ensue.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So speculation for the sake of speculation? I mean, we have nothing to work with. I just hope for a better online mode.

Emitan

Orayn said:
man i really miss /v/'s freakouts for japan time. i don't even go there any more

Snakeyes

Orayn said:

And then we'll be caught in endless Classic vs X debates.

I'm on team Classic

My wants:

-Online that isn't fucking garbage. Needs Halo Reach-level functionality. Good netcode also. No input lag.

-^That includes playlists, and possibly competitive playlists (1v1 or 2v2, no items, neutral/counterpick stages only, deep ranking system)

-Adventure mode that actually takes place in the game worlds. Like SSE but with non-generic levels.

-King K. Rool

-NO FUCKING TRIPPING

-Fast, snappy gameplay like Melee or Brawl+

-Good balance, possibly with the assistance of Melee/Brawl pro players. Take this shit seriously, Nintendo.

As long as they keep it more weighted like Brawl and less floaty and loose like Melee, I don't care what they do. The single player should really be something nice this time around though, I would think. It was already pretty damn good for a separate mode in Brawl for me, and I would love to see them expand on it a bit more.

Orayn

Mechanically, I'm just hoping things are a little more tightly balanced so we have a more vibrant upper tier and don't need super artificial rules like limiting ledge grabs or banned moves/combos/characters. Items and stages will inevitably remain a point of contention, but it'd be nice if the other stuff were improved.
Billychu said:
man i really miss /v/'s freakouts for japan time. i don't even go there any more
The place went to shit some time in 2009-2010, but going through Japan Time with them was an experience I'll never forget.

Seik

Banned
A new Smash Bros. could be a great launch title for the WiiU. With an even greater roster than its predecessor and a decent online mode, THE POSSIBILITIES!!1!

...and those graphics. D:

(Classic Mega Man fits more in a SSB universe than X imo) XD

A character from Xenoblade would be awesome too!

As long as the 3DS version is as packed with content and the music as plentiful and as amazing Brawl, then I'm good. Buff and nerf whoever the hell you want, Sakurai.

Mistle said:
Didnt Sakurai say that he will never make a game like Melee again, because it was "too hard" or something?

Remove wavedashing and Melee isn't hard to play in the slightest. I'd be fine with that, actually.

Big One

Banned
Characters I'm expecting:

23tXP.png

Sakurai loves his original characters and will do everything in his power so people can remember them.

bnwlX.png

It's Little Mac, bitch.

1I0wM.png

Takamaru has a major following in Japan, and would be a great Pit/Ice Climbers esque addiont.

A7Y2o.png

Waluigi is pretty much the only viable Mario rep for the game. He's also badass as fuck, fuck the haters.

1csIa.png

Zoraork will probably replace Lucario. However I do think it's possible he'll be able to use his Illusion ability to transform into Lucario and Mewtwo.

Character changes I'm expecting:

4Mzbh.png

Not just visually but some of their moves. I think Fi will play a central role in Link's moveset. Like Link could fight without his sword.

Third party I'm expecting:

VJcBc.png

Two of the most popular third party games that have stuck with Nintendo for years now. Nintendo also publishes both series in North America so it'd make sense.

Snakeyes

abstract alien said:
As long as they keep it more weighted like Brawl and less floaty and loose like Melee, I don't care what they do. The single player should really be something nice this time around though, I would think. It was already pretty damn good for a separate mode in Brawl for me, and I would love to see them expand on it a bit more.

I just had a crazy but awesome idea; wouldn't it be great if they had the 999 team on board for the Adventure mode scenario? There could be epic character alliances, betrayals and branching paths.

Emitan

abstract alien said:
Did you mean to switch those around?

Big One

Banned
Also they really need to get rid of story mode. Hated that so much and took the fun out of doing actual challenges to unlock fighters.

Big One said:
Also they really need to get rid of story mode. Hated that so much and took the fun out of doing actual challenges to unlock fighters.

Couldn't you have just...you know...not gone through the story mode and done the challenges anyway?

Orayn

Seik said:
A new Smash Bros. could be a great launch title for the WiiU. With an even greater roster than its predecessor and a decent online mode, THE POSSIBILITIES!!1!

...and those graphics. D:

(Classic Mega Man fits more in a SSB universe than X imo) XD

A character from Xenoblade would be awesome too!
If his little poem/creed is included, even as a taunt, I am maining Dunban forever and there is not a force in the world that will be able to stop me.

Big One

Banned
Electivirus said:
Couldn't you have just...you know...not gone through the story mode and done the challenges anyway?
I bought Brawl pretty much at launch and didn't even realize there was any other way aside from story mode till after I beat it. I just don't think the option should be there and I much prefer Adventure mode from Melee.

SnakeSlashRO said:
<_< if Mega Man didn't get in MVC3.... Smash? No way... I doubt we will see snake and sonic again.
as long as they keep making mario and sonic in the Olympic games we will see sonic..and unfortunately I think nintendo will jump in the character dlc

Snakeyes

I'd love to see Travis.

The Dragon Quest Hero is a great pick too, and he could have multiple outfits because most of the heroes have similar abilities.

My dream 3rd party picks are Neku from TWEWY (Sho alt) and a Megaten protagonist. I can always dream right?

- I bet there will be more sonic characters.
- Travis touchdown would be awesome, but i can't see it happening.
- Monster hunter character is also a possibility

Seik

Banned
Big One said:

Well, I loved the story mode, those cutscenes were really good content imo. I agree that it takes out the fun of unlocking the characters though, because it really does take long before clearing it all. :/

They still could do a similar epic story mode while making the unlocking of character with a more 'SSBM' approach, but that's just a best case scenario.

Snakeyes said:
I just had a crazy but awesome idea; wouldn't it be great if they had the 999 team on board for the Adventure mode scenario? There could be epic character alliances, betrayals and branching paths.
This is too good to be true, but I would pay extra for it if I had to. Like $50 extra. Completely serious lol

Billychu said:
Did you mean to switch those around?
Nope, Melee was loose and snappy as hell. It was decent and all, but there is no way I could go back to that after playing the much meater, more weighted Brawl. The characters felt so much better and more "there" while still retaining what makes Smash Bros what it is.

Tripping definitely should have had a toggle switch though. It was fun when playing with a group and just having a blast, but should most certainly have had a switch. There are so many options in the game already right down to the music you want to play, so it's odd that it wasn't there.

Codeblue

Ike will get cut. He was my favorite of the roster in Brawl, but I don't think Smash can handle three blue haired Fire Emblem swordsmen, since they'll have to include the lead from the 3DS game. Hopefully they bump FE up to three or four this time, two isn't enough for the amount of amazing people in those games.

I'd argue that Sigurd is the most likely inclusion, but his hair is also blue.

Emitan

blizzardjesus said:
I hope they don't allow items to be turned off. Tourney people have ruined the fun of the game.
lol

I HOPE THEY DON'T GIVE PEOPLE OPTIONS TO PLAY THE GAME DIFFERENTLY THAN THE WAY I LIKE OR THEY"RE RUINING IT LOLOLOL

abstract alien said:
This is too good to be true, but I would pay extra for it if I had to. Like $50 extra. Completely serious lol

Nope, Melee was loose and snappy as hell. It was decent and all, but there is no way I could go back to that after playing the much meater, more weighted Brawl. The characters felt so much better and more "there" while still retaining what makes Smash Bros what it is.
Would you say Halo 3 is much more weighted and tighter than Quake? Because I think you don't know what those words mean.

abstract alien said:
As much as I loathe the hardcore Smash community, Brawl was far too random and slow for even normal people to enjoy. A lot of the items were either downright useless or did some ~omg so random~ effect, and the slow game pace just ended up not really being fun at all.

Poyunch

I'm betting they add an option to switch tripping on and off.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
As much as I loathe the hardcore Smash community, Brawl was far too random and slow for even normal people to enjoy. A lot of the items were either downright useless or did some ~omg so random~ effect, and the slow game pace just ended up not really being fun at all.
The one thing they should have kept random was the Pokeballs. Making legendary Pokemon rarer to come out was bs.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:

Hey man, speak for yourself. Put in ~600 hours on Brawl so far, and I've enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.

Olaeh

Big One said:
Characters I'm expecting: --

I like your list. I'd be content if all of this came true.

Regarding Fire Emblem- my guess is we see the main character of FE 3DS replace Ike, no Roy again, with Marth returning.

I half suspect a bombardment of 3rd party characters. I'm not entirely sure which far-out dream characters I'd like yet, but I just want megaton surprises. Snake in Brawl blew everybody away.

I also hope the the dojo to return.

Snakeyes

blizzardjesus said:
I hope they don't allow items to be turned off. Tourney people have ruined the fun of the game.

Yeah, remember when I broke into your house and forced you to play me with items off until you cried? Good times.

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
as long as they keep making mario and sonic in the Olympic games we will see sonic..and unfortunately I think nintendo will jump in the character dlc

LMAO capcoms fighters haven't even given us proper DLC... more then 2 characters per game... I guess kinda 4 for super SF...

I know nintendo and capcom do things differently, but I highly doubt nintendo will ever do DLC for smash bros...

vareon

Cosmo Clock 21 said:

Every people I personally known to have Brawl loved the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom