• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's funny that this thread was started. I was approached in the Orlando airport today after the MLG event by a StarCraft referee. Really nice guy. Turns out he used to be a Smash pro and ran the entire community back in the day. Works for MLG now.

I didn't get his name or handle, anyone know who I'm talking about?

"This is the Monado's power!"
shulk021.png

They should consolidate Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB and the newest retro character into their own "Retro" category instead of giving them their own separate categories. Because they will never be big enough to stand on their own separately.

Zelda category should stay mostly the same, but update SS Link. I don't know if SS Zelda uses any magic. We know she's not even a princess. It'd be weird seeing her doing all the fancy stuff that the royal Zeldas did. If she doesn't, make her totally different from the previous two Zeldas, and give the old Zelda moveset to Toon Zelda with Tetra transformation.

What to do with Fire Emblem? Marth will most likely stay, and Chrome (the new guy) will probably make it in too. But Ike? Black Knight? Lyn? Sigurd? Who knows. Just troll everybody and put Ephraim in. It'd be fun having a lance user in SSB.

For Pokemon, Pikachu and Jigglypuff will definitely be in. Zoroark will probably make it in, and perhaps transform into Mewtwo and Lucario. But will Pokemon Trainer change at all? Will he get different starters, or are the original three too iconic?

DK category just needs to add K. Rool and maybe Dixie. F-Zero could use Samurai Goroh and perhaps Black Shadow. Earthbound/Mother could possibly add Masked Man or Ninten. Or Paula, Teddy, Flint, or Duster. Metroid could either stick with Samus or add Ridley or another hunter, though I think the hunters are all too minor to represent the series. Adam maybe?

All the rest of the categories are fine as-is, though maybe we'll see Bowser Jr. or that new guy from Kid Icarus or some other characters like that. I do hope Travis Touchdown makes it in. I remember seeing Suda's name in the credits for Brawl.

Emitan

They should put in Shulk and keep Lucas just so Americans can be fucking confused at all these characters from games we've never gotten. lol Marth and Roy. Smash Bros is like Nintendo twisting the knife.

Hylian7 said:
I actually though SSE was pretty good, it just felt like it was missing something. Part of it's problem was that it was using generic areas (with the exception of the Halberd) rather than ones based more on characters' homeworlds. For SSB4, I hope they have a world map like SSE, but it be composed of versions of characters' homeworlds. For instance, if Neku Sakuraba was in, there would be a Shibuya district of Saffron city.
SSE's problem was entirely that they were trying to shoehorn a fighting game engine into a platformer one. Poorly, to boot.

Acerac

Banned
After Brawl released I just don't care any more. I still play Melee and attend tournaments for the game in my area, but face facts, it was an amazing mistake. =/

I'd love to be proven wrong. I'm just confident I won't be.

Mistle said:
Didnt Sakurai say that he will never make a game like Melee again, because it was "too hard" or something?
=/

sfried

Will we ever see 3rd party characters in Smash Bros.? I thought that was a once in a lifetime deal.
DXB-KNIGHT said:
"This is the Monado's power!"
shulk021.png
I could see him along with Isa as primary characters that might replace Fire Emblem faves.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see more Intelligent Systems characters. Perhaps someone from Advance Wars, or Goombella.
Acerac said:
After Brawl released I just don't care any more. I still play Melee and attend tournaments for the game in my area, but face facts, it was an amazing mistake. =/

I'd love to be proven wrong. I'm just confident I won't be.
How can you be so sure? Reason Brawl was sorta gimped was because it was floaty (because of Havok).

Orayn

Billychu said:
They should put in Shulk and keep Lucas just so Americans can be fucking confused at all these characters from games we've never gotten. lol Marth and Roy. Smash Bros is like Nintendo twisting the knife.
Also:

0Xc3O.jpg

sfried said:
Will we ever see 3rd party characters in Smash Bros.? I thought that was a once in a lifetime deal.
I thought Sakurai wanted more, but Snake and Sonic were the only ones that worked out for Brawl.

Refugio

sfried said:

I could see him along with Isa as primary characters that might replace Fire Emblem faves.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see more Intelligent Systems characters. Perhaps someone from Advance Wars, or Goombella.

Advance Wars characters would make me buy the game. They need to at least add some music from the series.

Anth0ny

Tashi0106 said:
That's funny that this thread was started. I was approached in the Orlando airport today after the MLG event by a StarCraft referee. Really nice guy. Turns out he used to be a Smash pro and ran the entire community back in the day. Works for MLG now.

I didn't get his name or handle, anyone know who I'm talking about?

Alpha Zealot probably.

And if Captain Rainbow makes it into the game, why do I have a feeling he's just going to be a Falcon clone >_>

Ganon is still going to be a Falcon clone lololololol

-TK-

I don't care about characters and it doesn't have to be a Melee-Copy. I just really hope that the gameplay is nothing like it was in brawl, which was too floaty, slow and very unfun.

Acerac

Banned
sfried said:
How can you be so sure? Reason Brawl was sorta gimped was because it was floaty (because of Havok).
I'm not sure. I'd love to be wrong. For the longest time I thought that they just made mistakes when developing Brawl and they'd surely not repeat them.

...Then I found out that Sakurai hates competition and wants everyone to win all the time no matter how bad they are.

Granted, I'm sure that the Smash community will eventually mod the game to be playable just like they've done with Brawl. I just find it sad that the playerbase will be the ones making the game fun as that kills any chance of the competitive atmosphere being rekindled in the series.

-TK- said:
I don't care about characters and it doesn't have to be a Melee-Copy. I just really hope that the gameplay is nothing like it was in brawl, which was too floaty, slow and very unfun.
Sounds good. Give me hitstun, take out tripping, and make the gameplay fast paced and I'll be happy. Won't be enough to make me buy a system just for the game, but I'll actually play it.

Snakeyes

Kyzer said:
Sora and Mega Man are next in line from the 3rd party polls last round right>

Sora's Final Smash will have your character removing their face like a mask, revealing Sora behind it. The Sora player then has complete control of your character for 15 seconds.

sfried

Kyzer said:
Sora and Mega Man are next in line from the 3rd party polls last round right>
Why didn't I think of those two? Sora would make absolute sense. Mega Man...If they could get Inafune's approval, or rather if the board of execs at Capcom think it would be worth it.

Olaeh

friskykillface said:
I'd lol if Crash Bandicoot made the roster, whoever owns the license must be begging for him to appear.

Ewww. Might as well throw in Petz Horsez or Cabela's Hunter if they're going to go that route :/

Snakeyes

El Sloth said:
I just want an option to turn off tripping.

And a slider to speed or slow the game down would be cool too.

How about no tripping at all? It's one of the worst mechanics ever implemented in a multiplayer-focused Nintendo title.

Even a casual-fest like Mario Kart doesn't have your kart randomly exploding for "hearty laughs".

Red UFO

Man, it's so weird looking back at the Brawl reveal now. Remember how high everyone was on the Wii back then? When Nintendo showed that trailer it seemed that the internet unanimously agreed that the Wii was going to be the number one console this generation, hands down (not just in terms of sales). Kinda weird considering most people's opinions today.

Azure J

Wishlist time:

Neku (The World Ends With You)
Classic Megaman (X is for Mahvel :p)

Mike Jones (StarTropics - could play as an awesome obscure western counterpick to the inclusion of characters like Ice Climbers - need to play up his yo-yo in everything though as opposed to a one off move like Ness' Yo Yo smashes)

Takamaru (Mystery at Murasame Castle - As much shit as people give the series for sword users, Smash doesn't have any quick draw/sheath architypes to play with and that could bring about a lot of cool stuff in terms of fighting style diversity in roster.)

Lip (Play her up as rep for the Nintendo Puzzle Games - Yoshi/Yoshi's Cookie/Dr. Mario/Panel de Pon)

Daisy (Play her up as Mario Sports and Party rep while making her the Luigi to Peach's Mario in terms of the princesses -- more tomboyish, faster and a harder hitter like She Hulk)

Isa/Kachi/Saki (Sin & Punishment)

Captain Syrup (Wario Land rep since Wario himself took more inspiration from WarioWare - She could be a really cool character with a "hands off" kinda play like Olimar except using more genies and varied minions from the Wario Land games.)

Issac (Golden Sun)

I just realized that I only care for these out of any potentials when way back when I'd have tons of folks I would want to see for their potential.

Edit: Oh shit, forgot Little Mac!

Olaeh

sfried said:
Why didn't I think of those two? Sora would make absolute sense.

Now that you mention it, Sora would make perfect sense. Would generate a lot of hype too. After we learned about Snake and Sonic I thought for certain Megaman was a lock in Brawl. Didn't Sakurai say there'd be two to three 3rd party characters after Snake? I was betting on Megaman.

El Sloth

Banned
AzureJericho said:
Neku (The World Ends With You)
I love you, you beautiful bastard, but I think we both know the chances of him getting picked over Sora as the Squenix representative is slim to none. Even with a potentially new game coming out for 3DS.

It would be so sweet if they found a way to use the WiiU's controller for some dual screen shenanigans with him.

Mature said:
I liked the tripping, thought it was comical.
It really was for me at times, and in the right environment. I remember a friend of mine tripping right into a "9" Hammer from G&W and having a good laugh lol

abstract alien said:
It really was for me at times, and in the right environment. I remember a friend of mine tripping right into a "9" Hammer from G&W and having a good laugh lol

Shit, I tripped into Ike's forward smash lol

Stylo

My expectations:

Single Player:

Classic Mode- Bring back achievements, Character-specific Break the Targets, Board the Platform, Race to the Finish, and would it hurt to think of new challenges and unique fighting scenarios?

Event Mode- Please be more creative like Melee's event mode.

Adventure Mode- Melee's adventure mode, while short, was a very fun experience to replay. If they decide to expand on that concept that'd be great. If they decide to go down the SSE route, it would be great if they actually used worlds from the franchises instead of the generic wastelands.

Cut out the useless stuff like the demos.

Multiplayer:

-No excuses. Bring back all the stages and characters.
-More useful, creative items.
-Tripping must be optional
-Hit-stun must make a return so combos can exist.
-Faster paced and add weight to the characters.
-Perhaps to add more depth to those that like to play competitively or advanced at a casual level, bring back the light shield, add a lag cancel technique, and another movement technique ala wavedash.

Characters:

-The NES Icons: Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa, Mega Man, Little Mac
-Others: Ridley, Rival Trainer (Blue/Gary or Giovanni), Travis Touchdown, Saki, Isaac.

Other:
-Limitless replays
-More stage parts
-More interesting Nintendo Trophies that give insight to Nintendo's history.
-Music. Please don't make 100 variants of the main theme. It drove me insane with Brawl. More original and orchestrated work or at least be more bold/creative with the remixes.

El Sloth

Banned
Snakeyes said:
Neku is a better pick because we don't need another swords(key)man. He's got so many badass abilities too.
I know, man. But I just don't see Squenix letting them use him over Sora.

Snakeyes

Stylo said:
Multiplayer:

-Hit-stun must make a return so combos can exist.
-Faster paced and add weight to the characters.
-Perhaps to add more depth to those that like to play competitively or advanced at a casual level, bring back the light shield, add a lag cancel technique, and another movement technique ala wavedash.

I've always said that the competitive community would be seen in a much more positive light if the techniques we used were properly documented and easy to pick up.

An easy and intuitive way to lag cancel would be for it to take effect on every fast-falled aerial.

For the next Adventure mode, they should get rid of the storyline completely. Each stage should emulate as accurately as possible the level design of the game it's from. Like the Mario and Zelda stages from Melee. No original enemies, only existing ones. The Kirby stage would have bunches of those star blocks and ladders and doors and Waddle Dees and stuff, the Fire Emblem stage would have groups of enemy reinforcements coming at the worst time, the Ice Climber stage would just be climbing up the mountain, the Metroid stage would have dangerous enemies and go in all different directions like a proper Metroidvania, and so on.

It would basically be what we'd all imagined in our childhoods - what would it be like if Samus could tear through the Mushroom Kingdom? Can Kirby survive the horrors of Zebes, or Link take on hordes of Pokemon? That's the feeling Adventure Mode should be trying to create. Not some dumb story about a butterfly fairy man who hates dolls.

Snakeyes said:
An easy and intuitive way to lag cancel would be for it to take effect on every fast-falled aerial.

Isn't that how Brawl+ handled it? I know it had some form of auto lag-cancelling. Whatever it was, Brawl+ was fucking great imo.

Codeblue

Anth0ny said:
Yes. That brings me to my next point.

BRAWL SINGLE PLAYER SUCKED. I sincerely hope they don't waste their time trying to "top" that with Smash 4. We don't want FMVs and a long, boring single player, especially if it means we have to wait longer for the actual game.

Melee adventure mode ftw.

I want those FMVs.

Acerac

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Isn't that how Brawl+ handled it? I know it had some form of auto lag-cancelling. Whatever it was, Brawl+ was fucking great imo.
Maybe if a player were to hit L or R within a few frames of landing to cut the lag in half that could be an excellent solution. Then you could reward players for their tech skill while not making the inputs overly distracting.

Come to think of it, I'd buy Wii U if they released Project M as an official title. I'd not even question it, I'd be on that shit day 1. If it allowed me to play random people 1v1 in ranked matches like a real fighter that'd be gravy.

Codeblue

I think Ephraim would be amazing. He's one of my all time favorite FE characters.

Kachi and Isa would also be absolutely incredible.

I think I'd like Shulk more if Monolith had better character design. Their designs seemed to fall apart after Baten Kaitos.

Edit: Neku is probably my #1 pick of all the characters that have no chance at all.

Acerac said:
Maybe if a player were to hit L or R within a few frames of landing to cut the lag in half that could be an excellent solution. Then you could reward players for their tech skill while not making the inputs overly distracting.

Maybe if there was a downside to l-cancelling. I'm of the mindset that if something like l-cancelling has no drawback and should be done every time with no questions asked, it might as well be automatic.

If it allowed me to play random people 1v1 in ranked matches like a real fighter that'd be gravy.

They would need to fix Brawl's 2-second input lag when playing against someone who lives 10 minutes away, when both players have great connections.

Snakeyes

Acerac said:

But that's one unnecessary button press. The idea behind fast-falling to l-cancel is that if you've decided to fast-fall, chances are you're planning to follow up with another attack.

@ The Xtortionist: Or maybe have some advantage for non-canceled moves. I was thinking of maybe introducing meter for Final Smashes, and making it so that l-canceled moves build less meter on hit (or none at all) than regular ones.

Stylo

Snakeyes said:
I've always said that the competitive community would be seen in a much more positive light if the techniques we used were properly documented and easy to pick up.

I think the training mode should have trials like Street Fighter 4. Techniques like teching are common knowledge but not documented in the game.

The Awesomest said:
For the next Adventure mode, they should get rid of the storyline completely. Each stage should emulate as accurately as possible the level design of the game it's from. Like the Mario and Zelda stages from Melee. No original enemies, only existing ones. The Kirby stage would have bunches of those star blocks and ladders and doors and Waddle Dees and stuff, the Fire Emblem stage would have groups of enemy reinforcements coming at the worst time, the Ice Climber stage would just be climbing up the mountain, the Metroid stage would have dangerous enemies and go in all different directions like a proper Metroidvania, and so on.

It would basically be what we'd all imagined in our childhoods - what would it be like if Samus could tear through the Mushroom Kingdom? Can Kirby survive the horrors of Zebes, or Link take on hordes of Pokemon? That's the feeling Adventure Mode should be trying to create. Not some dumb story about a butterfly fairy man who hates dolls.
I hated all the weird enemies and shit in brawl that shit was weird as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom