• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Codeblue said:
I want those FMVs.

Have them be unlockables for Challenges. Have single player content be dominated with challenges.

I hate "I want this character" discussion, but there is a lot SSB can do otherwise that can be interesting. I'd like it if they moved away(through changeable options, of course) from random items and included Mario Kart item pick ups and allow players to set the percentages of each box on the stage("You always get a bat here"). Allow for customization of items by tiers(weak bat, strong bat... which pokemon pop up? Multiple types of Pokeballs. etc etc). No more bullshit like fan infinite. Basically make that part of the game viable.

Continuing with that trend, make stages customizable. "You start at this phase of the transforming stage and it doesn't transform" "No more being shot at by cannons". Stuff like that. If you want to get really crazy let another player control the stage's various actions(making use of the Wii-U controller).

Customization has been key to the series from the start, expand it and you make more of the game better.

nephilimdj said:
Needs a Ouendan/EBA stage, since wii-u tablet would be perfect for it
Fight during the cut scenes, then play a touch mini game

Sounds like a stage no one would ever play beyond the first two weeks.

I rather there just be an Ouendan mini-game on the side.

El Sloth

Banned
You know, a functioning online mode with leaderboards and a basic friends list that doesn't use friendcodes would be nice.

It would also be cool if they brought back the sticker system as separate online mode would be pretty sweet.

Oh and a non-shitty way of being able to download user made stages.

El Sloth said:
Oh and a non-shitty way of being able to download user made stages.

Halo Reach-style file sharing for stages and saved films.

@ The Xtortionist: Or maybe have some advantage for non-canceled moves. I was thinking of maybe introducing meter for Final Smashes, and making it so that l-canceled moves build less meter on hit (or none at all) than regular ones.

Now you're speaking my language.

Acerac

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Maybe if there was a downside to l-cancelling. I'm of the mindset that if something like l-cancelling has no drawback and should be done every time with no questions asked, it might as well be automatic.
That's completely fair. It's a mechanic that just punishes those who are inexperienced or less skilled with button inputs. As long as characters can be aggressive with aerial attacks I am happy.

The Xtortionist said:
They would need to fix Brawl's 2-second input lag when playing against someone who lives 10 minutes away, when both players have great connections.
That would require Nintendo to admit that people play games using the internet. I think that's a bit much to expect from the big N.
Snakeyes said:
But that's one unnecessary button press. The idea behind fast-falling to l-cancel is that if you've decided to fast-fall, chances are you're planning to follow up with another attack.

Or maybe have some advantage for non-canceled moves. I was thinking of maybe introducing meter for Final Smashes, and making it so that l-canceled moves that hit build less meter (or none at all) than regular ones.
I'd be down for that as long as you only get meter if the moves connect. I'd hate to see people just spamming safe shff'd nairs to get cheap final smashes.

It's really true that l canceling just added unnecessary complexity to what was an already difficult game. Though I have to ask why limit it to short hops? Some characters need to use their full jumps, I don't think they should be punished with laggy aerials if they choose to attack near the ground.

Snakeyes said:
The roster needs more women IMO

video-game-noir-metal-gear-solid-3-boss.jpg

hmmm...

Seik

Banned
Some character ideas:

-Paper Mario
-Yarn Kirby
-Klonoa
-Chaos (From Sonic Adventure...yeah I see potential in him for an SSB appearance)
-Ghirahim (AND keeping Ganondorf PLZ...>_<)
-Kalas (Baiten Kaitos)
-Classic Mega Man
-Viewtiful Joe
-Lloyd (ToS)

ETC...there's still so much awesome possible choices! :D

EDIT:

-Bringing back Marth/Roy!!! D:
(Oh yeah, and you, who said Isaac from Golden Sun, are so right!!!!)

Lo_Fi

There will be mostly Nintendo characters. They will fight in Nintendo-themed arenas with Nintendo-themed music in the background.

Controversial speculation, I know.

All I Need:

Krystal: All staff all the time. No fucking LANDBASTARDS. Alternate Costumes. And something with Tricky.

Mike/ST Falcon, Carol/ST Tornado, Rola/ST Spika: As much as I'd love Mike and the ST Falcon as playable characters I won't pretend I have a clue how'd that actually work. So Assist Trophy that shit. Nintendo may have forgotten about Battle Clash/Metal Combat but I haven't.

Saki/Airan or Isa/Kachi: They need a Tag Team gimmick of some sort. It would play to the Isa & Kachi mode from S&P2. I'd see it working something similar to Pokemon Trainer minus the fatigue aspect. Saki/Airan would be alternate costumes. Final Smash: Ruffian Transformation. Would work like Snake's Get to tha Choppa and replicate Ruffian fights from S&P1.

Fox, Falco, Wolf: Give Falco an Arwing. Give Wolf his Wolfen. Truly differentiate these 3, please.

Issac: Give him a sword and Psynergy attacks and profit.

Little Mac: Real easy to implement. His Final Smash should be similar to Link's in nature. Let him get his Ippo on.

Mega Man: The only 3rd Party character that deserves the invite. A slew of Robot Master weapons and his Vs. Series stuff to draw on as well. Will make for one hell of a character.

-New Super Smash Bros. Ideas-

-All Brawl characters return (Except for Sonic, Snake & Toon Link)
-Roy, Mewtwo & Young Link return
-No third party characters
-Dr. Mario is now an alt costume for Mario, Pichu is an alt costume for Pikachu & Toon Link is an alt costume for Young Link (With any moveset/gameplay differences applying upon selection)
-All characters have alternate costumes ala Wario (ex. Ike has his Radiant Dawn appearance, etc.)
-All characters now have unique Final Smashes (No duplicates)
-Each series that is represented with a playable character has a stage
-All the major modes return (Classic, All-Star, Adventure, Event, Stadium)
-Adventure mode will focus on the series represented instead of unique locations
-Create-a-Stage has a more robust editor
-Trophies & CDs return
-All items return (With individual toggles)
-All first party assist trophies return
-Tripping can be toggled

New Characters:

-Mach Rider
-Fighter Hayabusa
-Little Mac
-Soda Popinski
-Disk-kun
-Chibi-Robo
-Toadette
-Palutena
-Magnus
-Starfy
-Kyle Hyde

Plus, more representatives from the follow games:
-Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
-Fire Emblem
-F-Zero
-Pokémon (One from each generation)
-Animal Crossing
-Kirby (A helper character preferably)

Acerac

Banned
Degen said:
If Ganondorf plays the way he did in Brawl (as opposed to Melee), tables will be flipped
You should try that Project M. I love Melee G-Dorf, but after Project M it is tough to go back. His forward and down Bs are just so powerful while retaining the amazing aerials from Melee.

Degen said:
If Ganondorf plays the way he did in Brawl (as opposed to Melee), tables will be flipped
Screw that, make Ganondorf not a slow, powerful version of Captain Falcon. Give him his sword, make him magic based, whatever it takes to make him actually a unique fighter.

Azure J

Ganondorf definitely needs to be retooled to be more magical, but Warlock Punch, the Flame Choke side B grab, Thunderstomp (Down Air) and his electrical jab (more Melee, less Brawl version) need to stay.

spanks

Smash Bros is a good way to start off a generation because it's the first time we get to see all Ninty's franchises in next-gen (HD!) glory. Too bad we won't see it for a couple years though.

-Like everyone here, I hope Sakurai focuses on making more content for multi rather than story mode. If he does do it, at least it should take place in the game universes with their enemies/items, dunno why he insists on making generic baddies and levels every time.

-Considering there's only one Smash every generation, I really hope they get DLC down. A constant stream of new characters and levels would be swell. Being Nintendo though...

-Customization seems like the next obvious step; Sakurai played around a bit with those stat stickers. Moves and appearance would be cool to personalize. At the very least, they could have a Mii character that lets you do this.

-There's only a few characters I really care about:
-Mostly I hope they merge Diddy & Dixie for a tagteam like the good old days; it perfectly suits them and recalls their best game by far. And no one's gonna miss that crappy banana peel Down B move, for real.
-Also K. Rool needs to be in his pirate Kaptain form, it's so much more unique and fun than his generic King form.
-More villains in general would be nice, like: Black Knight, Black Shadow, Claus (Masked Man), Captain Syrup, Skull Kid. Tatanga, Wart or Fawful if they wanna go super wacky.
-Retro characters that would be cool: Lil Mac, Sukapon, Takamaru, Ray Mk2, Elite Beat Agents, Nester (Pilotwings), Andy or Sami (Advance Wars), Kachi and Isa (Sin & Punishment), either Sherrif/Jiro/Flint to fulfil the necessary cowboy quotient. There's still a lot to choose from, really.
-Third party is harder to predict, but I'd love to see: Megaman, Bomberman, Pacman, Simon Belmont, Ryu (Tecmo), maybe someone western like Rayman or Maxwell from Scribblenauts (no way we will see Banjo-Kazooie or Earthworm Jim)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Things I want in Super Smash Bros. Wii U;

- More characters, and as many (if not all) returning characters.
- As many unique move sets as possible.
- New cameo characters from third parties (Travis Touchdown please).
- Alternative outfits for characters, not just colour swaps.
- More stages, and returning stages.
- More items.
- Even more assist trophy characters. Just port the old ones across and make new ones.
- Deeper level editor.
- More trophies.
- Returning music, plus more.
- More game modes, or quick, score based challenges like the home run contest and target smash.
- Online play that works, and leader boards for challenges.

Things I don't care about in Super Smash Bros.;

- Technical, competitive play.
- Single player adventure mode that is always shit.

My ideal Super Smash Bros. Wii U would take all the characters from past Smash games, keep their movesets (or tweak where necessary), and update their graphical model to the new hardware. Then more characters added on top of that, and some cool third party dudes. Give me Simon Belmont, Travis Touchdown, Megaman, and whoever else fits the bill. Port all the old stages across. Update the graphics on the better/iconic ones, but keep the rest the same and call them retro to save development time. Make more stages on top of this. Port across the items, assist trophies and everything else. ~fin

Smash is absolutely nothing more than a chaotic mascot brawler. I play with items on, and I play with stage selection on random (and usually character select as well). As long as the character balance isn't cripplingly broken, all I want from Smash is more of everything.

I am the man pro Smash fans hate, and it feels goooooood.

rekameohs

Banned
EatChildren said:
I play with items on, and I play with stage selection on random (and usually character select as well). As long as the character balance isn't cripplingly broken, all I want from Smash is more of everything.

You play like how real men should.

likeGdid

EatChildren said:
So what you're saying is, you're Sakurai?

no seriously, who be hating on other people playing differently?

Acerac

Banned
EatChildren said:
Things I want in Super Smash Bros. Wii U;

- More characters, and as many (if not all) returning characters.
- As many unique move sets as possible.
- New cameo characters from third parties (Travis Touchdown please).
- Alternative outfits for characters, not just colour swaps.
- More stages, and returning stages.
- More items.
- Even more assist trophy characters. Just port the old ones across and make new ones.
- Deeper level editor.
- More trophies.
- Returning music, plus more.
- More game modes, or quick, score based challenges like the home run contest and target smash.
- Online play that works, and leader boards for challenges.

Things I don't care about in Super Smash Bros.;

- Technical, competitive play.
- Single player adventure mode that is always shit.

My ideal Super Smash Bros. Wii U would take all the characters from past Smash games, keep their movesets (or tweak where necessary), and update their graphical model to the new hardware. Then more characters added on top of that, and some cool third party dudes. Give me Simon Belmont, Travis Touchdown, Megaman, and whoever else fits the bill. Port all the old stages across. Update the graphics on the better/iconic ones, but keep the rest the same and call them retro to save development time. Make more stages on top of this. Port across the items, assist trophies and everything else. ~fin

Smash is absolutely nothing more than a chaotic mascot brawler. I play with items on, and I play with stage selection on random (and usually character select as well). As long as the character balance isn't cripplingly broken, all I want from Smash is more of everything.

I'm a competitive Melee player and there is nothing in your list that is objectionable to me.

Can't we both coexist happily?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
likeGdid said:
So what you're saying is, you're Sakurai?

No. I am his cat.

192274237bu9t.jpg

Acerac said:
I'm a competitive Melee player and there is nothing in your list that is objectionable to me.

Can't we both coexist happily?

No, but only because I don't like Rainbow Dash.

- Ridley
- Little Mac
- Samurai Goroh
- Mega Man
- More orchestrated music along the lines of Melee
- Remove tripping and the general 'floatyness' Brawl had

That's all I truly care about, the rest at this point is just icing on the cake.

I know goroh likely won't happen SHUT UP

Mista Koo

-Alternative Outfit(s) for every character
(Mr. L please)
-Themed mini games. Probably should use the same game mechanics (ala Mario Power Tennis).
-Mii mode where you can customize your Mii's moves using all the other characters moves.
-More Brawl like CGs, maybe as classic mode endings?
-Ridley, and ZSS as a separate character.

Also no generic huge sword dude, I'd rather have Medusa or Palutena (or both):

8DAx0.png
GAoHd.png

I hate him, even without comparing him with these two he looks awful and out of place.

Sadist

I just want this guy meeting fists with Captain Falcon:

Ryu-tatsunoko.jpg

Or should we keep him out for Nintendo vs. Capcom? :p

Anyway, my biggest wish for Super Smash Bros. next is that they release the game at the same time in ALL REGIONS. The last couple of years NoE really did an amazing job, but with the release of Brawl they dropped the ball. When the game released here in Europe I kind of seen everything because spoiled myself watching GAF having a blast :(

Also, make the game BIGGER. Make it an even bigger Nintendo museum. More trophies, more music, more stuff.

Please include Little Mac. He would be an amazing addition.

Mista Koo said:
Also no generic huge sword dude, I'd rather have Medusa or Palutena (or both):
There's no way we're getting both, but since Smash has only a small number of villains and even fewer females, Medusa would be my pick.

And while I'll probably be back in the US by the time this comes out, oh good god yes the release of Brawl was a clusterfuck. Galaxy comes out right on time but Brawl got a half year delay? At least for Europe I can (sort of) understand with the translations, but for Australia? Why do we need the option to translate it to Spanish, French or German? What was stopping them translating the game while it was being made?

They had to of lost a ton of sales from people getting fed up in PAL regions and just importing the game (I was in my final year of highschool so in a way Brawl being delayed helped me get into uni, but still).

EatChildren

Medusa is hotter than Palutena so I pick her.

SSB4 with this:

Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup
Mewtwo
Victini
Tingle
Ridley
Little Mac
King Hippo
Andy
Samurai Goroh
Flint
Medusa
Isaac
Starfy
Saki Amamiya
Jill
Takamaru
Laughing Dog
Slime
Professor Layton
Mega Man

I'd be so happy.

EDIT:Forgot King Hippo; so him instead of Louie!

Dr.Hadji

abstract alien said:
Halo 3 does have more weight than Quake. The controls aren't as good, especially due to the framerate mostly, but to say Quake has more weight than Halo isn't accurate to me. Its like saying Super Meat Boy has more weight than Super Mario Bros...or Half Life has more weight than Metroid Prime. Has nothing to due with the quality though, as its a personal preference.

I see what you're getting at here and I agree. Don't know why Billy can't get where you are coming from.

EatChildren

rainking187 said:
All the characters will have Landmaster final smashes.

That fucker made my otherwise Donkey Kong maining since the very first Smash friend switch over to Fox, hollering "DID SOMEONE ORDER A TANK?!" every time he got the goddamn Smash ball.

N4Us

I want Fox to still float with Down+B in the air so I can still troll people online like I did back then at 2 AM.

Also what was up with Wario having Game & Watch like movements? That isn't how he acts in his games at all. Not to mention no shoulder-barge or transformations like Spring Wario.

Still one of the best additions to Brawl but considering how close characters like Diddy were to their normal game counterparts it's weird just how far off they got with one of their major characters (not that I don't consider Diddy major, it's just he was largely defined by Rare so it says something they even worked in DK64 references for him while they couldn't even get Wario's signature move in).

Codeblue

EatChildren said:
That fucker made my otherwise Donkey Kong maining since the very first Smash friend switch over to Fox, hollering "DID SOMEONE ORDER A TANK?!" every time he got the goddamn Smash ball.

That is hilarious. Your friend is awesome.

Also, Ike is a great character and I'd totally keep him over the Kid Icarus females.

Astrosanity said:
Also what was up with Wario having Game & Watch like movements? That isn't how he acts in his games at all. Not to mention no shoulder-barge or transformations like Spring Wario.

Still one of the best additions to Brawl but considering how close characters like Diddy were to their normal game counterparts it's weird just how far off they got with one of their major characters (not that I don't consider Diddy major, it's just he was largely defined by Rare so it says something they even worked in DK64 references for him while they couldn't even get Wario's signature move in).

IIRC, this was to represent the simple WarioWare gameplay, where controllable characters often have simple movement.

fisheyes

Not unlike EatChildren, what I basically want is more, more, more, more, more. I don't care about balance, I don't care if a stage or a character or an item is viable for you boring tournament players, I just want more options. Every character you can think of, with alternate costumes, every stage, loads of items, everything.

The other thing is to continue going nuts with the choices for everything. So many roster choices on the internet are godawful, when, in reality, Sakurai does whatever he wants (Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, Marth, Dr Mario, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, yada yada yada) and I really hope he doesn't feel the need to box himself into a corner and work of a 'checklist' of wanted characters. Forget about Zoroark as a Pokemon rep because he's kinda like Lucario, instead put in Scraggy because he's super cool. I don't want Samurai Goroh as a 2nd F-Zero character, he's lame, give me a Beastman who summons dinosaurs for attacks or something. Why the hell not? Get absolutely nutty.

Two new characters for a game series which only has two entries at the time of release (even Nintendo doesn't seem to remember the Gameboy sequel exists) when we usually get about 10 new characters at most per Smash entry is overkill.

mugwhump

-Good gameplay. Why remove combos from a series with (arguably) the best combo system ever?

-Balance patches. I know there's no hope of it being balanced out the gate so I want patches.

-Retarded security holes that allow the game to be hacked, fixing the above 2 issues.

Astrosanity said:
Two new characters for a game series which only has two entries at the time of release (even Nintendo doesn't seem to remember the Gameboy sequel exists) when we usually get about 10 new characters at most per Smash entry is overkill.

Eh?

SSB:

Mario
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus Aran
Fox McCloud
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness

SSBM:

Princess Peach
Bowser
Dr. Mario
Mewtwo
Pichu
Princess Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Young Link
Falco Lombardi
Ice Climbers
Marth
Roy
Mr. Game & Watch

SSBB:

Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charizard
Lucario
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Wolf O' Donnell
Pit
Ike
ROB
Wario
Diddy Kong
Olimar
Snake
Sonic
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus

That's an increase of two from SSB > SSBM, and an increase of three from SSBM to SSBB (with it going 12 - 14 - 17). Each game added quite a few more characters than you claim. I don't disagree that KI doesn't need three, but I just had to make the point.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh man, there would be so many thing I would so appreciate to see in the next Smash Bros.
Also on the charachter front and the stage front.
I had already prepared a moveset for Rosalina, and some stages... let me see if I find where I wrote them and I'll put them here.

PokéKong

MegaMan is a shoe-in, I'm high confidant about it. Ryu will then shuffle in the open Capcom door before anyone notices what's going on.

Wario was entirely based on his WarioWare persona, which I have no problem with. I love that they were starting to make him his own unique character with a solid franchise even further removed from his Mario origins. But I guess to please fans of all that is Wario, they should probably include a little more references to his Wario Land self. The big ground smash from Shake It can definitely replace the atomic fart.

I'm fine with there not being any more Metroid playable characters, Samus is a loner and her enemies are best suited as bosses. But the franchise can still get better representation. It's unfortunate they never really acknowledge anything about Prime besides that Parasite Queen stage, a more shiny Samus with the glowing green streaks would've been nice, or maybe even a Fusion alt costume. And some stages which remotely resemble any memorable location from the 2D games, with appropriately atmospheric music.

I'm very unsure what they'll do with FE characters. With a new one on the way they'll probably want to stick in this new Crome guy, but no way there's gonna be three blue haired sword dudes hanging around, at least one has to go, and it would be sad to see Ike go and Marth is the respected original. I wish IS could've taken SSB into a little consideration when designing their main characters...

Bring back Mewtwo, but merge his moveset with some of Lucario's. Zoroark should be completely original.

Get rid if that awful FLUDD move on Mario, replace with his Galaxy spin jump with Luna popping from out of his hat. I think serious scary Bowser is growing a bit stale. Making him a more silly "toon" Bowser and giving him some Inside Story personality would be refreshing.

For heavens sake, fix up Pokemon Trainer, the time to switch them out is to be a constant and not reliant on freaking load time. And make Squirtle more useful.

No more two Links nonsense. Just make it SS Link, he's already almost a Toon and adult hybrid.
SS Zelda too, keep Sheik as a separate character to hold on to the OoT torch.
And anyone suggesting Fi before any other new character??

furious5tuh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom