• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Review Thread

eshwaaz

First review - OXM gave Reckoning an 8.0 in the latest issue:
+ Amalur is a huge world, full of adventure and interesting locations.
+ Your destiny is yours: you can mix-and-match the game's three classes.
- Blacksmithing isn't very valuable; some repetitive quests; good story that could've been better.
? Why does the game's exaggerated character design look so much like World of Warcraft?

Xbox 360 Magazine Italy - 9.0
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Asura’s Wrath, and NeverDead have all received their first reviews in the February issue of Xbox 360 Mag Italy.

Kingdoms of Alumar fared the best. The magazine gave the title a 9.0/10, saying that it’s a must-have game even if you’re not a fan of RPGs.

German GamePro - 85% (Thanks to Xater and Rivyn)
+Good story
+Some touches of Fable but with an adult theme
+Fast combat and tactics
+Massive open world with great diversity in landscape
-Massive camera issues. Lack of overview
-Some low-detail graphics
-Rare boss fights

PSM3 - 7.8 (via GameFAQs; thanks Elyrion X)
"For an RPG it's swift and immediate, capturing a natural flow rarely permitted by the genre's statistical bent."

"Reckoning is remarkably accessible. Skill trees and abilities are easily reset, creating new fighting styles from scratch."

"38 Studios biggest misstep is streamlining the world. Amalur never convinces as a physical place, it's vast world map gradually revealed as a network of tiny conjoined zones. They're pretty enough, but the sheer scale of the world is never seen. Nor is it ever felt. Where Skyrim gives us random dragon attacks and spontaneous outbreaks of magical violence, Amalur is a series of corridors dotted with predetermined bear attacks."

"Verdict - Amalur is a brisk action blast that just happens to last upwards of 50 hours. Not the best world ever built, but a fun place to spend a few weeks."

IGN - 9.0
8.5 Presentation
Amalur totes an impressive story penned by one of the great fantasy authors of our time, and it takes place in a fantastic fictional world. It’s complex and hard to follow at times, though.
8.0 Graphics
Beautiful environments and solid animations are marred by fairly shoddy-looking character models. I wish lip-syncing was more on-point during dialogue.
8.0 Sound
Music is sparse, but the voice-acting is well-executed and really adds a great deal to the story. Characters have a lot to say, and that’s a good thing.
9.5 Gameplay
The bread and butter of the game. Reckoning sets the bar very high for other games moving forward, and is an absolute pleasure to play.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
I hope you have a hell of a lot of time on your hands, because Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will require all of it for the foreseeable future.

The Guardian 5/5 stars

Joystiq: 5/5

ai.com A

GamingNexus A

DigitalChumps: 9.6

Gaming Trend:91

IGN: 9.0

Incgamers.com 9/10

VGRevolution 9

Team Xbox:9

GamersHub 4.5/5

1up: B+

tesskyrim.com 88

Multiplayer.it: 8.7

SpazioGames: 8.5

Ripten 8.5

Gamefront.com 85

Fronttowardgamer 8.5

GameTrailers: 8.2

OXM US: 8

Destructoid: 80

Eurogamer: 8/10

Gameinformer 8/10

GamesRadar 8/10

Giant Bomb 4/5

Gamerant 4/5

Wegotthiscovered.com 4/5

Computer & Videogames 7.8

Gamespot: 7.5

OXM UK 7

Edge: 6 out of 10

G4 TV: 2.5/5

G4TV 2.5/5

scy

? Why does the game's exaggerated character design look so much like World of Warcraft?

This will fuel the next 100 replies alone!

- Blacksmithing isn't very valuable; some repetitive quests; good story that could've been better.

Is there some text around for this? I'm curious as what they mean by Blacksmithing isn't valuable. Is it that you do not get to smith up anything actually useful?

Khezu

An italian xbox mag gave it a 9/10.

Other then that though maybe a bit premature for this thread, unless more mag review's show up, the review embargo doesn't end until at least next friday.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Probably my only issue after playing the demo. Then again if comparisons hadn't been drawn with Skyrim, I'm not sure I would have been expecting a grim, dark realistic setting. THAT said, that's the type of setting I prefer.

But I bet my wife will like it, which means a probably sale. I'll just need to find out if she wants PC or console...

Is there some text around for this? I'm curious as what they mean by Blacksmithing isn't valuable. Is it that you do not get to smith up anything actually useful?

yeah, it's vague. It reads like blacksmithing won't create the best weapons. imo, that's how it should be to keep loot exciting. Skyrim's blacksmithing and enchanting are so overpowered that loot becomes completely worthless.

jet1911

Probably mean that it won't break the game like in Skyrim.

eshwaaz

They said that blacksmithing requires quite a bit of investment to be able to make weapons that are at least as good as the loot you simply find.

An italian xbox mag gave it a 9/10.

Other then that though maybe a bit premature for this thread, unless more mag review's show up, the review embargo doesn't end until at least next friday.

Ah, I didn't realize. I suppose a mod will lock if it's too early.

No idea how accurate this is but:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Asura’s Wrath, and NeverDead have all received their first reviews in the February issue of Xbox 360 Mag Italy.

Kingdoms of Alumar fared the best. The magazine gave the title a 9.0/10, saying that it’s a must-have game even if you’re not a fan of RPGs.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm feeling it might not do that well review-wise. OXM usually gives the exaggerated, gushing scores for highly positive games.

Carbonox

Asura's Wrath got 8.5 in that same issue. Kind of odd considering the mostly negative responses I've heard about the game. Though, EXCLUSIVE REVIEW and all that jazz...

Atruvius

Looks like they weren't able to fix the problems people were talking about in the demo thread. It's depressing that it's 2012 and people still struggle with camera control and positioning.
Camera is likely to get a patch. The devs have taken feedback regarding the issue.

This game looks promising, but it needs to get over it's generic look and feel to be successful.

Yeah, main reason I have no intrest in the game. It's probably pretty good. But I'm not in the mood and the look and fantasy setting do nothing for me.

will wait till its $20.

Derrick01

Banned
This game looks promising, but it needs to get over it's generic look and feel to be successful.

I feel like this is going to be said about every fantasy game ever. I just wish the actual graphics were better, they seemed very early 360ish on the PC demo.

Anyway I'm higher on the game than I was when I first played the demo. I'm glad I got to gamestop in time to switch my FF13-2 preorder to this. Have a feeling it won't disappoint me.

German GamePro - 85% (Thanks to Xater and Rivyn)
+Good story
+Some touches of Fable but with an adult theme
+Fast combat and tactics
+Massive open world with great diversity in landscape
-Massive camera issues. Lack of overview
-Some low-detail graphics
-Rare boss fights

So they didn't fix the camera issue in the demo? Too bad, guess I'm passing on this or until it's patched.

H3xum

That really bums me out, smithing is always one of my favorite ways to spend time in games like this. So much so to the point I was going to choose the human race since they inherently have +2 smithing.

Ho hum. Wish they would have elaborated on this

That really bums me out, smithing is always one of my favorite ways to spend time in games like this. So much so to the point I was going to choose the human race since they inherently have +2 smithing.

Ho hum. Wish they would have elaborated on this

It is probably not as viable as Skyrim's system since you can create armor that is 10x more powerful than the toughest armor you can loot.

I do believe there is quite a difference, though. In Amalur you already got 200+ unique armor sets and tons of accessories. While blacksmithing should still be there to create unique types of armor with class benefits, it should not overpower the armor that is the absolute toughest to get or else there will be no incentive in chasing down that dream. I believe that is where Amalur's system will succeed in. In giving the player the need to venture further into dungeons just for that 1 piece of armor you are missing.

What's so bad about the camera exactly?
I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. There are certain issues like it being wonky indoors/close quarter areas. Also, the camera seems to be centered on your waist or lower body or something, because your character's body ends up in the upper portion of the frame a lot, especially when you're running. The angle is also pitched down a bit, so it looks like you're staring at the ground a lot. Most of this can be fixed simply by giving you more control of the camera, which the devs supposedly are working on.

Grinchy

Banned
I've played the demo for like 6 hours now, and I definitely found myself tilting the camera pretty often so that I was seeing the environment I was in and not staring at the ground. Also, the automatic re-adjust time for the camera is far too long (but this has all been covered in the demo thread and I am sure it'll all be "fixed"). Other than tiny complaints and demo bugs, this game is an obvious winner.

1-D_FTW

Not a lot of boss fights registers as a huge + in my book. Leave that antiquated "quarter munching" relic to the arcade where it belongs.

Thank God for what I'm hearing about smithing.
Skyrim absolutely ruined the appeal of exploring dungeons to find cool stuff thanks to that overpowered garbage (okay yeah the scaling definitely helped).

But yeah IIRC the main problem I had with the camera is that it was way too close and badly positioned.

Not a lot of boss fights registers as a huge + in my book. Leave that antiquated "quarter munching" relic to the arcade where it belongs.

*shrug* I have no problem with bosses at all, though Western games tend to suck at designing good ones.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds good so far. A lot of these reviews emphasize things that just haven't phased me or are not as big an issue. If the rest of the game is like the demo and then some then this game will be a great first step into what could become a great franchise.

The camera complaints are extremely worrying as it's the only thing stopping me from getting this.

Really hoping they do fix it with a patch, and soon.

Kem0sabe

I dont get why people keep comparing this to Skyrim every chance they get, even going as far as that stupid article "5 things it does better than Skyrim".

Two very different games appealing to two very different sub-types of RPG´s, sandbox and action rpg loot whores respectively. :)

I would compare this game more to Fable than any of the elder scrolls games.

ElyrionX

From GameFAQs:

Just got this months issue of PSM3 through the mail. They gave Kingdoms a 7.8.

"For an RPG it's swift and immediate, capturing a natural flow rarely permitted by the genre's statistical bent."

"Reckoning is remarkably accessible. Skill trees and abilities are easily reset, creating new fighting styles from scratch."

"38 Studios biggest misstep is streamlining the world. Amalur never convinces as a physical place, it's vast world map gradually revealed as a network of tiny conjoined zones. They're pretty enough, but the sheer scale of the world is never seen. Nor is it ever felt. Where Skyrim gives us random dragon attacks and spontaneous outbreaks of magical violence, Amalur is a series of corridors dotted with predetermined bear attacks."

"Verdict - Amalur is a brisk action blast that just happens to last upwards of 50 hours. Not the best world ever built, but a fun place to spend a few weeks."

I dont get why people keep comparing this to Skyrim every chance they get, even going as far as that stupid article "5 things it does better than Skyrim".

Two very different games appealing to two very different sub-types of RPG´s, sandbox and action rpg loot whores respectively. :)

I would compare this game more to Fable than any of the elder scrolls games.

Actually we are comparing Skyrim's design choices and that of Amalur's and that is where Skyrim falls short. The inventory system in Skyrim is beautifully crafted, yet the beauty of that is where it also falls short in terms of management and item classification.

Blacksmithing is another one of those things. Despite any type of RPG that got released there is not one, other then Skyrim, where creating armor is absolutely, positively 10x more powerful than the best armor you can loot.

You should not be able to craft armor so you will be a powerhouse. You should be able to craft armor that compliments your class and has a few class benefits, but not overdo them. By doing this you eliminate one of the better things in RPG's. The scavenging for loot and actually make it worth a damn and be jumping out of your seat for joy because you found that last piece of armor.

Skyrim does a lot of things great, especially when it comes down to unique quests and story telling but it has so many fundamental flaws as well that a lot of other RPG's do right.

Phenomic

Feels bad to do it but school comes first. Probably buying this over the summer when I have more time to play it. I think the game looks good and I have interest in it as of now I should say, but this semester is going to be one of my hardest as I finish up the Bachelors.

So basically, it doesn't have the huge open vistas of Skyrim and isn't an 'open world' in the sense that Skyrim is, but still presents a vast open world...just not like Skyrim's. Also, random dragon attacks.

From GameFAQs:

Just got this months issue of PSM3 through the mail. They gave Kingdoms a 7.8.

Is that the only thing they absolutely disliked about the game? If so, that does not warrant the 7.8. I know that I am one of those people who are comparing Skyrim to Amalur with a lot of things but I hate it when reviewers compare WORLDS to each other.

It is one thing that differs so much and can create so much different types of opinions because some people might love the huge open world of Skyrim, and some might hate the fact that it is so barren and where it can feel you are the only one in this massive world.

I actually like Amalur's world and its somewhat linear path with huge open sections in the middle. It gives more of a focused approach and let the developers create more unique places.

And what the heck is wrong with the verdict? Curt posted on the official GAF forum that the main story can take up to 40-50 hours and doing everything up to 200 hours. It sounds like these guys just did the main storyline.

I am expecting low 80s or high 70s for the final review average.
That'd be a bit of a setback for 38 Studios if that happens, imo. 70-80 aren't necessarily bad scores, but they need to knock it out of the park with the reviews. It's a new IP, new company, looks a bit generic at surface glance, and the screenshots/trailers don't really do it justice. I think they need to hit the 90%+ in order to get the general audiences attention.

I can't say whether the game will deserve great scores or not, but I hope it does. I like the dev team and their philosophy, and I hope this pans out for their sake...especially since they have a lot of plans for the future. A bomb here could be pretty demoralizing for a new upstart studio.

I hate to admit it, but I might be part of the problem. I'm considering waiting for a price drop or until the first patch comes in if it turns out the bugs and camera issues from the demo persist. Oddly enough, Amazon isn't offering any of those preorder $10/20 bonuses like it does for a lot of other games. I'd probably have bought in at that promo. But seeing how it's pretty high on the preorder rankings already, I guess they don't really have to.

Kem0sabe

Actually we are comparing Skyrim's design choices and that of Amalur's and that is where Skyrim falls short. The inventory system in Skyrim is beautifully crafted, yet the beauty of that is where it also falls short in terms of management and item classification.

Blacksmithing is another one of those things. Despite any type of RPG that got released there is not one, other then Skyrim, where creating armor is absolutely, positively 10x more powerful than the best armor you can loot.

You should not be able to craft armor so you will be a powerhouse. You should be able to craft armor that compliments your class and has a few class benefits, but not overdo them. By doing this you eliminate one of the better things in RPG's. The scavenging for loot and actually make it worth a damn and be jumping out of your seat for joy because you found that last piece of armor.

Skyrim does a lot of things great, especially when it comes down to unique quests and story telling but it has so many fundamental flaws as well that a lot of other RPG's do right.

I have to disagree with you on the smithing thing. Crafted items, especially those that demand a large time/monetary investment should be more powerful to motivate players to actually use the system...

Take KoA for example, why would anyone invest in smithing if for the most part the weapons you loot in that givin level range are as good or in many cases better? Even if crafted items have a different look that helps differentiate them from looted items, players tend to be min-maxers and mostly go with the stuff that gives them better stats.

Anyways, 2 diferent kinds of game as i stated with 2 very different objectives. KoA will always favor drops because that is the givin assumption of action rpg´s. Elder scrolls games always put the honus of development on the player, by the very nature of being sandbox rpg´s.

Not saying that one system is better than the other, just different.

This pretty much confirms what i thought about the game, it follows much more closely the Fable type of "loose corridors" and linear progression. Not that thats a bad thing, as long as the story is tight and well scripted, it makes for a fun romp, like the mass effect games.

ElyrionX

So basically, it doesn't have the huge open vistas of Skyrim and isn't an 'open world' in the sense that Skyrim is, but still presents a vast open world...just not like Skyrim's. Also, random dragon attacks.

Sounds like a Borderlands type of sandbox to me.

Still so very hyped here.

Top Bottom