• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrowers) |OT| Ghibli's newest (non-Miyazaki)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think it's an example of celebrity voiceacting syndrome, but works out well enough anyway. Minnie Driver, Claire Danes, and Jada Pinkett Smith all did good work and disappear into their roles; Billy Bob Thornton's voice coming from that character is distracting.
The jive talking villagers (the movie was set in a fictional ancient Japan!!) absolutely kill the dub for me. There is nothing more distracting than that. It [the dub] has good writing though. Just needed better casting.

I'd be up for a Disney redub.

Takao

Banned
Disney released a teaser for a music video for the film.

The song's harmless fluff.

Good on Disney for supporting Ghibli. Is there any way of finding out which theaters are getting the film?

1200+ screens is a wide release so you won't have to look hard. I imagine if you have any chain theatres near you one of them is bound to have it.

benzy

They didn't seriously replace Arrietty's Song with this...did they?

I don't think they replaced Arietty's song. It's just a music video promoting the film using one of Disney's starlets; kind of like "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal for the Batman Forever movie.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they replaced Arietty's song. It's just a music video promoting the film using one of Disney's starlets; kind of like "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal for the Batman Forever movie.
Except "Kiss from a Rose" plays over the end credits.
But yeah, I expect this one doesn't.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
1200+ screens is a wide release so you won't have to look hard. I imagine if you have any chain theatres near you one of them is bound to have it.

I just checked on the official website, and the nearest place is 40+ miles away. Not too bad, especially compared to Ponyo. I don't have a car though, and no one I know wants to see this movie because they hate Ghibli. :(

Suairyu

Banned
I just checked on the official website, and the nearest place is 40+ miles away. Not too bad, especially compared to Ponyo. I don't have a car though, and no one I know wants to see this movie because they hate Ghibli. :(
I dunno - don't you Americans have Craiglist or something for any request ever? Request some film buddies. Make some friends.

Suairyu

Banned
Craigslist is too dangerous. Especially going on a 40+ mile trip with a stranger. :/
So don't go a 40 mile trip with them. Meet there. Go for a few beers afterwards. Stay in public places.

You could also make a profile on OKCupid, set it to "new friends" and just message everyone who seems cool and lives near the theater.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So don't go a 40 mile trip with them. Meet there. Go for a few beers afterwards. Stay in public places.

You could also make a profile on OKCupid, set it to "new friends" and just message everyone who seems cool and lives near the theater.

I have no issue with going to a movie alone. The problem is getting to the theater in the first place. Perhaps I can persuade my sister to come with me.

@RatskyWatsky - Have you checked fandango? The official website doesn't offer a complete listing for my area.

There are so many theaters here that will be playing Arrietty on Friday. There are even a few midnight releases. It's very refreshing to see. I hope Disney and Studio Ghibli score a hit with this one.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The wikipedia page (and a review I just read) said that "The North American version of The Secret World of Arrietty was directed by Gary Rydstrom."

What does that mean? Was the movie re-cut or something?

Saw this a while ago when it came out in UK (Japanese with Eng subs), brought me to legitimate tears. Bawled my shit at the end. Best Ghibli film since Spirited Away, personally.

Blu Ray is out here, weird that USA is just getting theatrical release...no wonder why it wasn't nominated for Oscars.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Blu Ray is out here, weird that USA is just getting theatrical release...no wonder why it wasn't nominated for Oscars.

Huge mistake on Disney's part, IMO. I think it would have at least been nominated. Pixar will win next year, of course, but this year with Cars 2 being shit I think Ghibli might have had a chance.

Takao

Banned
Saw this a while ago when it came out in UK (Japanese with Eng subs), brought me to legitimate tears. Bawled my shit at the end. Best Ghibli film since Spirited Away, personally.

Disney usually releases Ghibli stuff in the summer. But this past year they had Winnie The Pooh in the summer slot so Arriety was pushed back.

The wikipedia page (and a review I just read) said that "The North American version of The Secret World of Arrietty was directed by Gary Rydstrom."

What does that mean? Was the movie re-cut or something?

No, it means Gary directed the Disney dub. The reason why it is worded like that is due to the existence of the UK dub making "The English dub was directed by ... " not work.

Branduil

Let me start off by saying WHAT DID YOU DO TO ARRIETTY'S SONG DURING THE CREDITS YOU BASTARDS. YOU KILLED IT. YOU KILLED THEM ALL. And you even tricked me by starting it off with a beautiful English version of the song. But halfway through they killed it- I was initially confused, but then the autotuned product of Cthulhu began. It's a good thing there were no kittens nearby because they would now be nothing but exploded viscera lining the walls. I can only imagine the pure form of evil that dominated the putrid minds of the people responsible for this. Those exploding pustules of human depravity would be thrown in jail if I had my way. They are artistic criminals of the highest order. If I wanted to listen to your latest overproduced tween vomit I would watch the Disney Channel, but I wouldn't because it would kill me. Drinking turpentine is a healthier hobby.

As for the movie itself, it's still a great film. It's a feast for the eyes on the big screen, and the dub was decent. It varied wildly between characters. Arrietty was by far the best. There were a couple script changes I found odd, but whatever. It's still worth seeing, just run out of the theater once the credits start.

Instro

Let me start off by saying WHAT DID YOU DO TO ARRIETTY'S SONG DURING THE CREDITS YOU BASTARDS. YOU KILLED IT. YOU KILLED THEM ALL. And you even tricked me by starting it off with a beautiful English version of the song. But halfway through they killed it- I was initially confused, but then the autotuned product of Cthulhu began. It's a good thing there were no kittens nearby because they would now be nothing but exploded viscera lining the walls. I can only imagine the pure form of evil that dominated the putrid minds of the people responsible for this. Those exploding pustules of human depravity would be thrown in jail if I had my way. They are artistic criminals of the highest order. If I wanted to listen to your latest overproduced tween vomit I would watch the Disney Channel, but I wouldn't because it would kill me. Drinking turpentine is a healthier hobby.

Did you get your money back?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, so that song really is in the movie?

That's disgusting. There's this great
bittersweet melancholy
to the ending and the final credits sequence that would be totally fucking destroyed by that song.

gblues

Banned
Let me start off by saying WHAT DID YOU DO TO ARRIETTY'S SONG DURING THE CREDITS YOU BASTARDS. YOU KILLED IT. YOU KILLED THEM ALL.

Haha, looks like you got Ponyo'd. Sorry, it's mean to laugh. But seriously, Disney did the exact same shit to the song at the end of Ponyo. Thanks for the heads up--hopefully I'll remember when I actually get to see the movie.

Branduil

Haha, looks like you got Ponyo'd. Sorry, it's mean to laugh. But seriously, Disney did the exact same shit to the song at the end of Ponyo. Thanks for the heads up--hopefully I'll remember when I actually get to see the movie.

I know what happened with Ponyo. But at least with Ponyo nothing is actually happening during the credits. Arrietty has actual scenes still occurring. Scenes ruined by their meddling. Are the execs at Disney seriously retarded enough to think this demonic art defacement will broaden the audience?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

That sucks. So I guess there's no theaters that are showing a version with the Japanese soundtrack? I suppose I should wait for the Blu-ray version.

I know what happened with Ponyo. But at least with Ponyo nothing is actually happening during the credits. Arrietty has actual scenes still occurring. Scenes ruined by their meddling. Are the execs at Disney seriously retarded enough to think this demonic art defacement will broaden the audience?

That is terrible
those endings shots are really poignant with the Arrietty song playing

there's an english version of Arrietty's song as well, so there's no excuses not to have it on there

Takao

Banned

I think they air the music video I posted earlier on Disney Channel, so I guess so.

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah the storytelling continues with the credits in a quite meaningful way. Absolute shame you guys have to endure that song. I mean, I don't even get the point - by that stage, everyone has paid their money and watched the entire film - why change the song for marketing reasons?

edit - wait, what? Ponyo also had the Disney-fied song during the credits? You guys sure? In the UK we got the US dub on blu ray, yet we didn't have the autotune disaster as the credits song, it was simply the Japanese song without Japanese. I'd always assumed they made that song for promotion purposes only.

I've waited so long to see this but I'm not going to have my first experience with it be the English version. I hope the blu-ray release isn't too far off.

Desmond

Yeah the storytelling continues with the credits in a quite meaningful way. Absolute shame you guys have to endure that song. I mean, I don't even get the point - by that stage, everyone has paid their money and watched the entire film - why change the song for marketing reasons?

edit - wait, what? Ponyo also had the Disney-fied song during the credits? You guys sure? In the UK we got the US dub on blu ray, yet we didn't have the autotune disaster as the credits song, it was simply the Japanese song without Japanese. I'd always assumed they made that song for promotion purposes only.
What? My Ponyo BD has those two Disney squirts singing over the credits

Suairyu

Banned
What? My Ponyo BD has those two Disney squirts singing over the credits
Well, yeah. But 'the ponyo song' that everyone reacted so violently to when it was revealed was this horrible autotuned pop rock thing which thankfully didn't get put on the BD.

Daft_Cat

Great film. Good dub. Horrible that they gimped the wonderful end credits.

I'd give this a 3.5/4. I know Hayao Miyazaki wrote it, but this director seems like a much better heir to the Ghibli throne then Goro (although I enjoyed From up on Poppy Hill as well).

I'm a huge Ghibli fan, for reference. I'd probably include Spirited Away and Mononoke in my top 10 films of all time. Totoro is up there too.

Desmond

Well, yeah. But 'the ponyo song' that everyone reacted so violently to when it was revealed was this horrible autotuned pop rock thing which thankfully didn't get put on the BD.

Oh, right.

In related news, I watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time last night. I only bought it for the collection, but damn was it brillant!

Suairyu

Banned
In related news, I watched Whisper of the Heart for the first time last night. I only bought it for the collection, but damn was it brillant!
Second best Ghibli film, right behind Only Yesterday.

Both tend to get overlooked because they're not Miyazaki or about magical fantasy adventures.

Munin

To be fair, the original Ponyo song isn't exactly a masterpiece either (though the rest of the score is masterful as usual, I just wish Miyazaki had gone with a more poignant piece for the credits than that childish crap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom