• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF should pool some money together and send Phil Fish a package containing Bayonetta, Vanquish, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Yakuza 4. We should also include a note that reads, "Still think all Japanese games are fucking terrible?"

Spend money to try and change an asshole's opinion? Nah. Not worth it. Does he have a kid? Send them to his kid. "Dad, Japanese games are the best!". That's justice. Like a racist who ends up with mixed-race grandkids.

Mael

I REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY hope Fez is better than Sky Island because that shit is boring....
Like I'm gonna play SM3DLand instead boring and I'm no fan of that game either.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is he correct? He never bothered to explain himself, and neither did you for that matter. He just made this broad statement about the state of Japan's games.
Precisely. It's an ignorant statement to make especially when no explanation is given to support such an opinion.

Defunkled

I would have paid a lot of money to see that poor Japanese dev say "Well, get back to me after you release a game of your own" in response to Fish's comment.

Foffy

Banned
GAF should pool some money together and send Phil Fish a package containing Bayonetta, Vanquish, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Yakuza 4. We should also include a note that reads, "Still think all Japanese games are fucking terrible?"

I bet he'd pick out the Souls games for being hard in an archaic sense or something absurd. :p

Emitan

I REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALY hope Fez is better than Sky Island because that shit is boring....
Like I'm gonna play SM3DLand instead boring and I'm no fan of that game either.

Never insult SM3DLand because it derails a thread for pages. I would know.

It's hard to be "outraged" (or at least pretend to be....) when he's somewhat correct.

You might want to work on that? I'm actually quite capable of judging people for saying something vaguely accurate in a way that is extremely rude and assholish, it's kind of a useful skill.

I'm guessing GDGF was offed due to the Asperger's comment earlier?

He was indeed. Protip: don't do that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I bet he'd pick out the Souls games for being hard in an archaic sense or something absurd. :p

Nah, he'd get to Blighttown and go "SHIT SUX. FRAMERATESUX" to Dark Souls.

Nosgoroth

Aaaaand that sound you (don't) hear is my last surviving excitement for this game fizzing away. I just don't feel like supporting this person. It may be irrational, but I guess that's feelings for you.

Durante

As a very general rule, unless you can back it up with examples and explain with knowledge why the obvious exceptions are outliers, almost any kind of "genre X sucks now" or "region Y is bad at development" or whatever sort of generalization is going to wind up inaccurate and come off kind of ignorant.
This should be on a board that's nailed to the entrance to the internet.

njean777

It's hard to be "outraged" (or at least pretend to be....) when he's somewhat correct.

He isn't though, Japanese games wouldn't be getting 9's or 9.5's still to this day if they "sucked" like he said. He is painting a broad view on all of Japanese development when he said this stupid remark.

It is not the fact that it is an opinion, it just is factually wrong and idiotic to say something like this to somebody that is of that ethnicity.

Mael

Never insult SM3DLand because it derails a thread for pages. I would know.

It's not exactly my fault if I'm not having fun with that game, but after playing skyisland, crush and my lifelong experience in platformer I feel like I'm being too harsh on 3D Mario games...
Which makes unkown indie dev comment even more funny in insight.

Roto13

The best part is that the only reason I'm even a little interested in Fez is that it borrows a mechanic I really liked from the Japanese game Super Paper Mario.

Riposte

Japan centric games have no appeal to me whatsoever so I'm with this guy.

So that leaves all the Japanese games which are not very centered on Japan, which is a lot of them. (Capcom, Platinum Games, a lot of Sega, a lot of Konami, a bit of Namco Bandai, etc)

Imm0rt4l

That's a really dickish thing to say, even though I kinda agree. Japanese devs are falling off, but theres still stuff worth playing.

Emitan

It's not exactly my fault if I'm not having fun with that game, but after playing skyisland, crush and my lifelong experience in platformer I feel like I'm being too harsh on 3D Mario games...
Which makes unkown indie dev comment even more funny in insight.

No, it's okay. It's the worst 3D Mario.

FStop7

Banned
I won't buy Fez and I won't buy or support anything he's involved with, including the indie game movie or the cash in of a TV show.

Skyrim

Banned
its been on decline for awhile now.

He's just saying out loud on a megaphone.

Even Capcom knew its dev sucks and started out sourcing its IP

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
What a stupid thing to blurt out. Aside from what I think of the validity of his comment (which is complete horseshit), responding with that kind of remark is incredibly disrespectful and arrogant.

What is wrong with indie devs becoming more insane as their popularity rises? Kind of glad our game studio isn't that successful if it means we don't become absolutely massive fucking dicks like Mr. "I-haven't-even-released-my-game-yet", here.

ezekial45

Banned
I think what bugs me the most is that he said this shallow and pretentious statement right after the film; which was supposed to celebrate indie developer's resolve, dedication, and passion for their game development.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have said it, it's his opinion after all, but at least he should done it elsewhere, and with bit more stuff to back it up with.

In the last year or so there has been plenty of evidence that Japanese games are on the rise once again. We've seen more quality JP releases lately than the rest of the generation and their technology is finally starting to catch up.

This is actually a great point, too. People who have been following this issue by actually looking at the nuances of development (instead of just making some kind of ignorant brush-off for a country's entire output) have noticed that most major Japanese studios have made huge strides in learning these lessons. Middleware, agile development, multiplayer focus, multiplatform releases, etc. have all been picking up steam pretty aggressively amongst Japanese studios and we should see even more success stories in the next few years.

Riposte

its been on decline for awhile now.

He's just saying out loud on a megaphone.

By some sort of miracle Resident Evil 6, Street Fighter x Tekken, and Dragon's Dogma look more promising than Raccoon City and what we got with Dead Rising 2 and Bionic Commando.

Can't wait for next 8-4 Play.

They do like their indie wank, so I could see it leading to a larger discussion.

Mael

No, it's okay. It's the worst 3D Mario.

You've got a weird way of spelling Mario Sunshine...

The best part is that the only reason I'm even a little interested in Fez is that it borrows a mechanic I really liked from the Japanese game Super Paper Mario.

That's actually rather funny,
the dev of a game that is basically defined as being Super Paper Mario + Cave Story say that Jpn games suck....
I mean it's actually hilarious.

Dusky

People need to focus more on the fact that he said this to some aspiring kid's face in the midst of a crowd of people. He didn't shoot his mouth off in an interview. He didn't post a dumb opinion on Twitter (intially, anyway). On the most base of fucking human levels, that shit is abhorrent and without excuse. Cut and dry. Fuck him.

Very well said.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You know, there were always people who hated vaguely foreigny flavors in games and media in general, even when Japanese games and anime were popular in the west. It's just that now they're having a field day, since the west finally stepped up their game and raised the bar in terms of technology, workflow and sales.

Japanese games are still highly original and great for those who enjoy their very different visions of gaming.. But because they are not number 1 anymore, those who were always prone to dismiss their unique flavours have been given ammo.

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
This is exactly the kind of nonsense that proves once again if needed that events like GDC are completely out of touch and continually give platforms to so-called 'developers' like Fish who have not even finished making their game - what right does he have to hold court on game design and call out an entire country for heavens sake when he hasn't even published Fez yet?

It disappoints and depresses me that events like this elevate no-mark 'indie developers' to the same level as the established names in the industry - people like Kojima, Meier, Mikami and even Molyneux have all made classic games and contributed hugely to the sphere of game design - they are the kind of people who should be speaking at events like GDC, indie hipsters like Fish shouldn't even be allowed in.

I am not remotely interested in Fez and have always been amazed at the way it's been feted as some minor classic even though no-one has played it and it's being made by someone who as far as I can tell has no proven track record.

If the game bombs because of this (and also because of his silly attitude to PC gamers) then I for one will find it hilarious.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Wow, completely fucking reprehensible and flat out wrong. Personally, this decade I've enjoyed more Japanese games than Westerns by a factor of 10.

What's left of my interest in Fez and my desire to see it come to PC is now gone.

survivor

Banned
That's actually rather funny,
the dev of a game that is basically defined as being Super Paper Mario + Cave Story say that Jpn games suck....
I mean it's actually hilarious.

But he is indie so his game is obviously better cause it got soul in it.

FStop7

Banned
Eh I personally side with Phil Fish on this one. Japanese devs have really disappointed me this gen.

Really? You're with being a total cock to some enthusiastic person who obviously looks up to you in front of a crowd of people?

Welcome to my ignore list. There, I was just a cock to you in front of the other readers of this thread. Are you with me, too?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Yeah, and how's that working out for them?

*Grin closes, Ninja Theory is soon to close after Devil May Bomba*

OH WAIT--Western Devs make sucky/shitty games with Japanese or non-Japanese IP's as well. Where is the Japanese "fish" to come in here and go "WESTERN GAMES SUCK *CHEERS!*" for a 1:1 response?

All of you going "yeah, but he's right" are missing the point. His opinion isn't the problem. It's the way he dressed down a developer just because they were Japanese and didn't even ask what his opinion of Japanese games were, just how they were different in the modern times.

Oh, and no one cares that you like western games more than Japanese games. Because they both have a flooded market of shit (see: most indie games or Bethesda games in the West, see shovelware on Wii from Japanese third parties for the East) along with gems (Bad Company 2, Demon's Souls). So going "well, if you put good/bad games from Japan and the West on a scale..." is still opinions and missing the point. Stop it.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Nobody cares about the first thing. A bunch of people care about the second thing, because it's overly broad, displays a lack of knowledge, and is full of (sometimes kind of goofy) assumptions. If what you mean is "Japan doesn't make very many open-world games or broshooters!" then, well... that's definitely true, but it's a pretty silly complaint! If what you mean is that Japanese devs were slow to pick up on multiplayer it's an accurate complaint for the generation as a whole but not one that I think applies much just at the moment. If you mean that Japanese games don't have appeal to Western gamers anymore that's true... except for all those exceptions like Nintendo's stuff, or Dark Souls, or Street Fighter IV, or (etc. etc.)

As a very general rule, unless you can back it up with examples and explain with knowledge why the obvious exceptions are outliers, almost any kind of "genre X sucks now" or "region Y is bad at development" or whatever sort of generalization is going to wind up inaccurate and come off kind of ignorant. A great deal of the recent trend of criticizing Japanese development has had exactly this problem.
I haven't bought a Japanese game in a while (hence my participation in this thread), but the last Japanese game I remember buying/playing to completion is Devil May Cry 4, and that probably serves as the basis for a lot of my present opinion. When I talk about a PS2-and-prior game design style, I'm talking about how stark it was to play Uncharted a few months prior and then move on to DMC4. To me, Uncharted was a huge leap forward in a smooth, engaging experience whereas DMC4 seemed to make absolutely no new effort outside of what the previous games had done. Each section was its own distinct chunk which graded you and brought you out of the game, the scripted animations and cutscenes and voice acting (as far as memory serves) were all terrible, and I remember being frustrated that I couldn't even compare my scores to my friend's scores (though I may be remembering that wrong). Trials HD is another example of something that blew me away with the progression/comparison meter at the top of the screen, it was a really simple-but-deep game that turned downright addictive with that meter at the top and it was awesome. I don't feel like I've seen that with Japanese games. Not to mention the operating systems on Japanese consoles, the Vita appears to have a horrible UI/UX with none of the seamlessness that one would expect from a device in 2012, and based on Nintendo's comments about a more open online system, it sounds like they're missing the mark again. I hope that helps justify my statements, even if you or others disagree

Edit: Apologies for the stream of consciousness post and lack of formatting or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom