• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Move to off-topic forum if not gaming related

http://kotaku.com/5896565/baldurs-gate-ipad-will-support-multiplayer-cost-less-than-10

The enhanced iPad version of classic role-playing game Baldur's Gate, slated for release this summer, won't cost you more than $10. Also, it will support multiplayer.

An enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn is in the works for iPad later this year as well.

This is all according to Cameron Tofer, COO of developer Beamdog, who told me today in a phone interview that it would be "crazy" to charge more than $10 for the 1998 PC game.

"Baldurs Gate is a pretty big game and we're not cutting it down to size," Tofer said. "There's a boatload of content there, 80+ hours. But past ten dollars doesn't make sense."

We'll have more on the future of Baldur's Gate, including details on how the upcoming port will take advantage of the iPad's touchscreen interface, tomorrow morning.

@jasonschreier mention Baldur's Gate II will be available for iPad as well, details tomorrow

---------------

http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/21/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-for-ipad-3/

http://kotaku.com/5895620/youll-be-able-to-play-baldurs-gate-on-your-ipad-this-summer/gallery/1

pEYdm.jpg

2Pk0r.jpg

Zul5s.jpg

PC role-playing game Baldur's Gate will soon be living in a post-PC world. The beloved classic will be out for iPad this summer, developer Overhaul Games said today.

It will also feature new content (!) and a new party member (!!!).

Overhaul writes in a press release:

Running on an upgraded and improved version of the Infinity Engine, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition™ will include the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion pack, and never before seen content including a new adventure and new party member.

"For now, Overhaul is primarily demonstrating that this is indeed Baldur's Gate, running on an iPad. It exists, it runs smoothly, and as a company representative put it, "the technical issues are behind us.

What hasn't yet been changed is the interface. With the PC version's tiny buttons, very small dialogue selections and incredibly complex menus displayed on an iPad, right now it's tough to effectively play with a touch interface. Overhaul has promised that revised, touch-friendly menus are in the works.

The iPad port's revised pan and zoom camera control shows the potential of a more "player friendly" Baldur's Gate iPad experience. The camera has been fully optimized for iPad and works in the way players expect. They can pinch to zoom their viewpoint in and out, and a simple drag of the finger moves the camera anywhere around the map. A button toggle locks the camera and enables drag selection boxes, making it easy to select multiple enemies in hairy combat situations. "

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Post-PC world eh? Lol.

More 10-15 year old ports is just what a new platform needs to become the future it's hyped as. What would you port from if iOS was all there is? Anyway, I guess I'd get it if it wasn't bound to be a few GB in size (alongside the sequel) given the gimped capacity iOS devices have with their absurd pricing and I didn't already own the IE games 2-4 times.

I can't imagine playing BG on it... the controls would have to be dumbed down a lot.
Lol.

Emitan

tired of these arcade style bullshit games

when is ipad gonna get real games?

Oh? a hardcore rpg is on ipad now? LOL SHIT CONTROLS

Day one for me!

coldfoot

Banned
X-COM and other turn based SRPG's please!!! I don't see why there aren't many made, as they're perfect for the touch screen interface.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Enhanced edition for PC and Ipad! Everyone wins! We can all hug in the main thread!

Eusis

I can't imagine playing BG on it... the controls would have to be dumbed down a lot.
This isn't Bayonetta or something, so long as the UI is smartly converted it should work just fine. It IS a game you could play fully with a mouse afterall, at worst you'll have to be clever about right clicking.
EDIT:
NO SPACEBAR.
Keep a finger over the pause button or something then.

Hex

Banned
Getting a little blatant lately aren't we?

Whatever.
It is Baldur's Gate and that is a good thing.
The trolling though...not so much.

Tanolen

Haven't kept up with BG enhanced since it was announced, but is that the first sceenshot of the enhanced edition?

Is this the Enhanced Edition?

If so I might check this out. I have my first iPad (and first Apple Product) coming as a graduation gift from the family. Would like to try this out on the system, but won't buy the standard edition with the Enhanced coming out. New content makes it sound like the same, but the developer is different. Unless this is the name of Beamdog's development team.

Edit: Groovy, read the IGN link (it was painful, but better than Kotaku???). Still not sure who Overhaul Games are, though.

creid

It will also feature new content (!) and a new party member (!!!).

Unbelievable. Now Bioware expects us to buy the game all over again to get some content they obviously cut out of the original? A new low.

;)

Now if only they could intergrate Dropbox support for cross-platform saves like Broken Sword did. That would be so amazing.

If I recall correctly, there's already an engine port to Android that'd let you play it on there right now.

Never tried it, though. No idea how well it works.

Emitan

If I recall correctly, there's already an engine port to Android that'd let you play it on there right now.

It's GemRB an open source version of Infinity Engine, it's not actually Infinity Engine. It runs on iPad as well.

Is this the Enhanced Edition?

If so I might check this out. I have my first iPad (and first Apple Product) coming as a graduation gift from the family. Would like to try this out on the system, but won't buy the standard edition with the Enhanced coming out. New content makes it sound like the same, but the developer is different. Unless this is the name of Beamdog's development team.

Overhaul games is the dev team under Beamdog handling the Enhanced Edition, yes.

Tymerend

Oh my... this may actually push me off the fence into getting an iPad, was already leaning toward it.

Somewhat off topic since I'm already here, any good RTS games for the platform? If Blizz took the plunge and dropped off Warcraft or Starcraft or if Relic did something... Mmmm.

But still, being able to hear Minsc tell Boo to go for the eyes on the go? Sign me up.

Doesn't practically every new iPad app/game released from now on have to be?

Ign impressions say it has the PC versions improved graphics and a newly optimized camera that lets you pinch to zoom, and finger pan. They are also working on a new GUI interface with bigger buttons and better text.

Haunted

That's very cool. One of the genres touchscreen devices are really suited for. All these Baldur's Gate announcements (Enhanced Edition etc) are getting me excited.

But man Wario you gotta slow down a bit, play it cool and not get too passive aggressive with the trolling. You don't want to get lumped in with clovingsteam and the likes.

GemRB runs really well on Android and jailbroken iOS devices.

Top Bottom