• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

AEREC

Damn...I need to get an iPad now. I was going to pass on the PC versions since they are Beamdog exclusive but I would get this version instead.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The IGN article says revised menus are in the works, so I guess it'll be different than the offscreen pic?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Why don't you quote your impressions here rather than fishing for clicks?

This is how I make my living.

Edit: Yes, the touch UI has NOT been touched yet. The devs know it, and it's the next thing they're starting work on now that touch camera controls are done.

The new content is probably only a couple of quests (possibly relating to the new party member).
I honestly don't see the appeal in this game, it seems to be the same art assets used and it looks like I can achieve the same effect by just using a number of fan-made mods, such as BG Tutu.

Yeah, because IGN is blocked at my office.

I want to work there.

Earlier today I was giving up hope for being hyped about any more game releases for 2012, but this has reminded me that I have a platform available to me that is constantly getting cool stuff and will for years to come. I eagerly await this port so I can nab it on the iPad 2.

Emitan

The new content is probably only a couple of quests (possibly relating to the new party member).
I honestly don't see the appeal in this game, it seems to be the same art assets used and it looks like I can achieve the same effect by just using a number of fan-made mods, such as BG Tutu.

I can play BG and BG2 on my iPad with new content added without jailbreaking it? Please tell me where it is in the appstore, because I can't find it.

Minsc

Gold Member
IGN says it is the same, and plays pretty poorly- buttons and text are too small. Presumptively they are still working on the UI, or will develop it once the EE is otherwise finalized.

edit: Double beaten. Although I did appreciate this, Wario, but forgot to mention it earlier:

You just had to read one more sentence! :)

What hasn't yet been changed is the interface. With the PC version's tiny buttons, very small dialogue selections and incredibly complex menus displayed on an iPad, right now it's tough to effectively play with a touch interface. Overhaul has promised that revised, touch-friendly menus are in the works.

The iPad port's revised pan and zoom camera control[/B] shows the potential of a more "player friendly" Baldur's Gate iPad experience. The camera has been fully optimized for iPad and works in the way players expect. They can pinch to zoom their viewpoint in and out, and a simple drag of the finger moves the camera anywhere around the map. A button toggle locks the camera and enables drag selection boxes, making it easy to select multiple enemies in hairy combat situations. "

Sounds nice! I think it will be a much better experience than GemRB and run better (as well as w/o needing to jailbreak), and I'm not sure if GemRB supports pinch to zoom, but it'll be very welcome in this kinda game. This will be an easier way for people to revisit BG1 in the BG2 engine than trying to get TuTu setup or something similar.

I'll post the other details we know about it again too:

@TrentOster:
- Given the point and click nature of BG, we won't be supporting controllers. Pointer devices only
- it will be better. We've got the code to rework the UI and rendering (re: vs Widescreen mod)
- 100% chance of new voice actors for new characters
- We're going to fix the broken bits. (re: Multiplayer)
- We're 2D isometric all the way
- There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (includes Throne of Bhaal expansion)
- Infinity Enhanced is based off the latest Throne of Bhall codebase
- Screenshots & other platforms: Same time, next week
- Beamdog exclusive on PC (uses Beamdog client, not Steam/Origin/GOG/etc).
- We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules.
- Mods both current and future are important. More to come.
- Beamdog exclusive. As for other platforms, tune is same time next week hopefully with 100% less explosions
- Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition will include the Tales of the Sword Coast Expansion
- Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is going to have new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members

So maybe Gamecenter multiplayer support? And why not go all out and throw in achievements too!

I can play BG and BG2 on my iPad with new content added without jailbreaking it? Please tell me where it is in the appstore, because I can't find it.

Fair enough, I didn't think of the iPad when I wrote that.
For us PC users though, why wait for this when you can get BG1+2 (and all expansions) for a couple of dollars?

Minsc

Gold Member
For us PC users though, why wait for this when you can get BG1+2 (and all expansions) for a couple of dollars?

Better multiplayer, no need to deal with setting up TuTu, better widescreen modes / graphic options, along with the promise of mod compatibility being important are the main ones I can think of right now.

Did they say no pc anywhere or is this one of those conclusion jumping things?
I bet I know the answer =x

mat.png

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, might be enough to buy an iPad.

Really hope the improvements include giving the player more information regarding flow of combat. Better understanding of enemy mage buffs(ie. enemy tooltips), MUCH needed improvement of party and enemy AI, superior ability/spell descriptions and balancing.

Looks great though in those pics.

BurningNad

Please have a PC version. I have no iOS platform and don't plan on getting one. If it's on PC I'll take it all over my face.

Tobor

iPad Baldur's Gate! Yes!!!!!!

I never finished the first one, either, to my great shame. Now I can correct that error.

So strange. I want to get hyped but I never played Baldur's Gate on the PC. My only exposure to BG was the AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME Baldur's Gate and it's sequel on the PS2. I understand that is NOTHING like the PC version, which makes me sad. I adored those games and the graphics still look amazing by today's standards. Hope this isn't a case of 'You had to be there' to appreciate "real" BG.

I really want those old PS2/Xbox games on my iPad.

My only piece of advice- if you try BG and like, but don't love it, still give BG2 a try. It is the much better experience. My first playthrough of BG (when I was only about 12, admittedly) I never finished.

There are a lot of wide open wilderness areas, and it is a fairly difficult game. BG2 is more difficult, but the content is handled in a way that is easier to latch onto. And it is better. Sogood.gif.

edit: Although for BG2, make sure you get past the opening dungeon. It gets really good after that.

Emitan

Because I like playing RPGs on a portable system and an iPad would be more convenient than my netbook.

I actually started a BG I playthrough (for the first time) about 2 weeks ago, but then this announcement of an enhanced edition started so I waited and lo and behold I can play the game on my iPad, so why the heck not?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I wonder what the file size is going to be, as BG2 was a beefy game at the time it came out, around 7-8GB.

Magnus

Ign impressions say it has the PC versions improved graphics and a newly optimized camera that lets you pinch to zoom, and finger pan. They are also working on a new GUI interface with bigger buttons and better text.

PC-improved? Wasn't it originally (and only) released on the PC platform?

edit- nvm, just read there's an enhanced edition coming out for PC.

Arcteryx

Count me in, as long as they can figure out a good touch-UI for it. I can already see myself killing immense amounts of time at the airport with this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Depending on the interface, this could be a perfect fit for the iPad.

My desire to purchase the new one is rising...

So strange. I want to get hyped but I never played Baldur's Gate on the PC. My only exposure to BG was the AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME Baldur's Gate and it's sequel on the PS2. I understand that is NOTHING like the PC version, which makes me sad. I adored those games and the graphics still look amazing by today's standards. Hope this isn't a case of 'You had to be there' to appreciate "real" BG.

I really want those old PS2/Xbox games on my iPad.

Since you dug the BG:DA games on PS2, you should definitely snag The Bard's Tale off the app store.

Edit: Just checked the app store listing and The Bard's Tale isn't currently working on iPad 3s, but it should be updated soon.

My only piece of advice- if you try BG and like, but don't love it, still give BG2 a try. It is the much better experience. My first playthrough of BG (when I was only about 12, admittedly) I never finished.

There are a lot of wide open wilderness areas, and it is a fairly difficult game. BG2 is more difficult, but the content is handled in a way that is easier to latch onto. And it is better. Sogood.gif.

I wish I could experience both games for the first time again. Best CRPG series ever made.

Top Bottom