• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

I would welcome new content for Planescape as I found it all pretty average (yes I know people love it). It could be improved in pretty much every way to make it a great game given the premise (yes that certainly includes story and writing).

Content is not the area that Planescape needs fixing. I am always finding new things in each play through.

Minsc

Gold Member
You can already play Baldurs Gate on an ipad. Out of the box it works "ok". Wouldn't take much to make it completely playable.

Some people may not have or want an ipad, but you cant expect companies to ignore the millions that do (and growing) when it is such a good fit. You could expect Android releases down the track as well (which you can also currently do unofficially) if it does well.

Which it should.

Can't wait to purchase this and play it on my couch. Then bring on xcom, planescape, icewind dale, NWN2....

This is great news.

I wonder if anyone posting about GemRB has actually used it? Videos I have seen have it running at way less than 100% speed, and controls no where near as nice as what this is said to be like. People say you can already play it on an iPad like it works perfectly, with no problems, but I don't believe that is the case, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also don't think GemRB can ever work with GameCenter for multiplayer can it? Since you have to jailbreak, or can you still use GameCenter jailbroken? Reminds me of the people who put fallout on their phone via dosbox to have it run at like 2fps... it's neat to have, but there's a big difference between an official app and some emulator or unofficial port.

No PC? If true, then magic missile launched at the true BG fans with no saving throw.

So did you miss the title to the thread? :p

I wonder if anyone posting about GemRB has actually used it? Videos I have seen have it running at way less than 100% speed, and controls no where near as nice as what this is said to be like. People say you can already play it on an iPad like it works perfectly, with no problems, but I don't believe that is the case, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've played around with it on an android tablet, same concept. No it isn't perfect, but the point is given access to the source and so on, you can see how it could be very good without too much improvement. When I say 'it works' I mean as a concept of having a rpg like that on a tablet. This contrasts with something like a fps on the ipad, which just isn't fun. You can do it, but it never feels right, this will work.

If they have already solved performance, then it is only UI tweaks and we are good to go.

it's neat to have, but there's a big difference between an official app and some emulator or unofficial port.

Yes. Which is why this is good.

Nope, but where does it confirm that it is coming to pc? Their website doesn't mention platforms. :p

If you missed it a good summary at:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...eals-More-About-Baldurs-Gate-Enhanced-Edition

Mitama

So much for "Enhanced Edition" :|. Like others have mentioned, this looks exactly the same as Baldur's Gate with the TuTu mod applied to run it in the updated Infinity Engine of Baldur's Gate II. I have an iPad 2 so I'm curious how it'll play. I think it'll do fine though, dragging to select characters, tapping for movement/attacks, a big button for pausing and larger buttons for spells/special abilities.

Psy-Phi

I would welcome new content for Planescape as I found it all pretty average (yes I know people love it). It could be improved in pretty much every way to make it a great game given the premise (yes that certainly includes story and writing).

Wha? I feel like I may not understand Englsih properly (my native language) to read such a thing and come away with the impression that you're not being facetious.

Welcome to have your own opinion of course, I'm just a bit taken aback as I've always felt it's been one of the finest examples of writing and plot in a video-game to this day.

Finally, the iPad's weird 4:3 aspect ratio is justified.

Weird? Is paper weird? (not quite 4:3, but you can easily see why the iPad has the screen ratio it does. Honestly, for work, I'm sick of the 16:9 monitors. All 16:9 is good for is entertainment, and even then...I think isometric games benefit from a 4:3 resolution just for the sake of a more symmetrical views pace -- personal preference of course, but there's something weird about seeing more to the 'left and right' and not as much 'up and down'. I'd be interested in someone releasing a 1:1 ratio monitor honestly).

Emitan

Wha? I feel like I may not understand Englsih properly (my native language) to read such a thing and come away with the impression that you're not being facetious.

Welcome to have your own opinion of course, I'm just a bit taken aback as I've always felt it's been one of the finest examples of writing and plot in a video-game to this day.

Weird? Is paper weird? (not quite 4:3, but you can easily see why the iPad has the screen ratio it does. Honestly, for work, I'm sick of the 16:9 monitors. All 16:9 is good for is entertainment, and even then...I think isometric games benefit from a 4:3 resolution just for the sake of a more symmetrical views pace -- personal preference of course, but there's something weird about seeing more to the 'left and right' and not as much 'up and down'. I'd be interested in someone releasing a 1:1 ratio monitor honestly).

16:10 is the best resolution. For everything. Forever.

DJ_Lae

The initial announcement of a tweaked PC version was somewhat exciting, but this is fantastic.

Great game for the iPad without suffering from the touch screen - and now I'm thinking about a whole host of other mouse-based games from that era and before that would work well on the iPad as well.

Like Ultima VII.

I know it is not a popular opinion, but I found the whole thing incredible boring. I appreciate the attempt at providing better dialogue, but for me they failed and it just came across as a really poor fantasy story with characters I had no interest in despite the interesting setting.

All personal opinion of course, I recognise that most fans really liked it so I am in the minority. I did love BG for instance.

Ultima VII.

My second favourite game ever but I don't think it would work without major changes to the inventory system (which could be done). To be honest it was pretty fiddly even with a mouse.

Zeliard

Planescape Torment next, pls.

Would be neat to see it on an iPad. But as far as a visual upgrade, Torment still looks damn good, especially at high resolutions where you get more screen-space.

torment2012-03-2219-5e0z2y.png

epmode

Hopefully this will support the 2048x1536 on the new iPad.
I don't think you'd say that if you played the PC version at that resolution. Your character and UI is far too tiny. They'd have to either redraw everything or rebuild the engine to allow for zooming. Since they've already talked about how the new version will play nice with existing mods, there's no chance of this.

In my experience, 1280x800 is perfect for these games.

that's like the point though

if their philosophies are different from the shit you're doing, then they'll find it unpalatable and leave

(admittedly it's all easily circumvented by monitoring reputation levels)

Why? people leaving cause you have a complete difference of opinions is awesome

Yeah, it IS awesome, and I don't want the system to change or anything, I just would be bummed out if the new character is cool, but leaves my party so I don't get to experience their awesomeness... and I know myself well enough to know I couldn't be evil enough to keep a baddy happy in my party :(

Varna

Would be neat to see it on an iPad. But as far as a visual upgrade, Torment still looks damn good, especially at high resolutions where you get more screen-space.

All those games still look amazing. The only real thing they leave to be desired is how everyone looks the same.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think you'd say that if you played the PC version at that resolution. Your character and UI is far too tiny. They'd have to either redraw everything or rebuild the engine to allow for zooming. Since they've already talked about how the new version will play nice with existing mods, there's no chance of this.

In my experience, 1280x800 is perfect for these games.

Nonsense, the iPad EE will support on the fly zooming (pinch to zoom), it says so right in the write-up from the OP! Nothing about the iPad 3 res should be an issue, UI elements should remain constant while the main game can scale bigger and smaller at will :)

I hope that makes it to the PC version too, would be great to use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out, and have the UI stay a logical size and all the type also stay a good size.

The enhanced editions will probably include modifications that fix up the game like mods have in the past.

Yup, and they've said they have interest in keeping the EE's mod-friendly.

Ventrue

As someone who has played these games a lot, I feel like most mods are for minor conveniences/fixes, which are far less important than the plot and content of the game. I've only ever really used the widescreen mods and maybe a fix pack; I think it hardly counts as gimped. Compare to something like Morrowind.

epmode

As someone who has played these games a lot, I feel like most mods are for minor conveniences/fixes, which are far less important than the plot and content of the game. I've only ever really used the widescreen mods and maybe a fix pack; I think it hardly counts as gimped. Compare to something like Morrowind.
No infinite stacks, no sale.

Better multiplayer, no need to deal with setting up TuTu, better widescreen modes / graphic options, along with the promise of mod compatibility being important are the main ones I can think of right now.

Okay, those are some good points.
I withdraw my previous stance, and will take a wait&see approach to this.

Looks great. Hopefully others follow suit. Would love to see stuff like Diablo and Xcom. The iPad is becoming my new favorite game console.

Sothpaw

Just to name a few:
Ascension
Tactics
TUTU
Dungeon Be Gone
Kelsey
Redemption
Soulafein
Widescreen
Banter Packs
Unfinished Business
Quest Pack
Saerileth
BGII Fixpack

Unmodded version is a gimped version.

Also you cant ctrl+J all around the map or change movement speed without access to the config file.

Gimped version is exactly what I played through. Still the best game ever.

Games like Oblivion and Skyrim need mods to make them at least somewhat interesting or fun to play. These games have no such issues beyond a couple of tweaks that can be easily included.

Zeliard

Of course mods add to the enjoyment for almost every game, but that hardly means the original game is worthless. Vanilla BG1/2 is still pretty great and people with iPads will be getting a good experience.

la_briola

I still don't get it. BG2 runs since 2010 on android and iOS, thanks to GemRB.
Maybe the controls are "nicer"... mh.

edit:

If I recall correctly, there's already an engine port to Android that'd let you play it on there right now.

Never tried it, though. No idea how well it works.

It's GemRB an open source version of Infinity Engine, it's not actually Infinity Engine. It runs on iPad as well.

I see. I'm not alone. :)

edit:

In all of the videos I've seen of GemRB running, it didn't look like it performed very well.

I remember being excited at the idea but it never looked like it was worth playing in the form that I saw. That was awhile ago though.

la_briola

it runs with >=30fps on the sgs. newer phones/tablets may be even better.

I would love seeing someone testing it on one of those new android tablets or ipad2/new ipad. :)

Sothpaw

Gimped version is exactly what I played through. Still the best game ever.

Games like Oblivion and Skyrim need mods to make them at least somewhat interesting or fun to play. These games have no such issues beyond a couple of tweaks that can be easily included.

Calling BG2 mods "tweaks" is a huge understatement.

I agree with you that Skyrim needs mods to be a fun game (not even fun with mods to me) and that BG2 is still a great game without mods. But that doesn't change the fact that the unmodded version is inferior.

Calling BG2 mods "tweaks" is a huge understatement.

I agree with you that Skyrim needs mods to be a fun game (not even fun with mods to me) and that BG2 is still a great game without mods. But that doesn't change the fact that the unmodded version is inferior.

Yes but the point is it isn't nearly as important. Chocolate cake with sprinkles has been modded to be better than vanilla chocolate cake (if you follow me...) but chocolate cake is still great so it isn't really too big a deal.

Modding Skyrim from a turd sandwich to a peanut butter one where the peanut butter isn't really well spread but it is still ok and will do for lunch is a different story.

Anyway sounds like the intend to support mods anyway, so everyone wins. Either way with or without mods it is still the best game I have played.

Ventrue

Just to name a few:
Ascension
Tactics
TUTU
Dungeon Be Gone
Kelsey
Redemption
Soulafein
Widescreen
Banter Packs
Unfinished Business
Quest Pack
Saerileth
BGII Fixpack

The NPCs/quest/restoration mods always struck me as pretty rubbish and amateur when I tried them. IIRC the banter pack is fan dialogue too? Which is also not interesting to me. Dungeon Be Gone is straight up skipping content; hard to argue for this being the 'definitive version.' Fixpack, Widescreen and TUTU are all covered by the EE and are just tweaks.

So that leaves us with Ascension and Tactics. Ascension is pretty great and they've talked about maybe incorporating it into EE. Tactics is a matter of personal preference but it's not my thing.

I can understand that you like these things a lot more than I do, but I think it's pretty hard to make the case that these mods constitute an obviously superior version that people would be crazy not to play. The core gameplay, story and etc. from the original game is so much more important to the experience.

Personally, I just found most of the mods for BGII to be invasive and annoying rather than adding quality content. Only the various tweaks/fixes have ever had a lot of value to me.

Onemic

So besides the new quest and character, what's going to be different for the PC version? It looks exactly the same as the original. Will they at least add legit mp support?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just to name a few:
Ascension
Tactics
TUTU
Dungeon Be Gone
Kelsey
Redemption
Soulafein
Widescreen
Banter Packs
Unfinished Business
Quest Pack
Saerileth
BGII Fixpack

Also you cant ctrl+J all around the map or change movement speed without access to the config file.

I honestly don't know how anyone even enjoyed the game at release without those mods.

No infinite stacks, no sale.

Oh god. Please include this in the base version. Most annoying aspect of the game. I'll also take a magical bag of holding if you want to throw it out there.

This is all true, more or less. But I feel like having your wimpy, useless mageling dying to wolves in BG1 is essential to the whole Baldur's Gate experience on a meta level. It's what allows you to truly appreciate how far you have come when you reach ToB after 200 hours.

Kill a bear, rest. Kill a wolf, rest. The power of a God is only months away!

I honestly don't know how anyone even enjoyed the game at release without those mods.

People were simpler back in those days. When you had to walk for 10 miles to get the batteries for your motorised computing device to play the game you appreciated it more. Didn't need no fancy mods from the future. In fact there were no time machines in those days so you didn't even know about the mods that might be created. All you had was the game that was created.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fuck mods, if the game can't stand on its own in vanilla state I won't bother with it. And yes, I played Fallout 3 and Skyrim in vanilla and enjoyed them.

edit:

GemRb is not an official App on stores, you have to jailbreak your iOs device to use it. I don't want to do that, and don't forget this is an enhanced version and specially configured for a tablet.

Top Bottom