• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

Hari Seldon

Personally, I don't see the appeal at all of playing this on an iPad over a PC. This is a 40+ hour game and I wouldn't want to be hunched over my iPad. Aside from that, how much are iPad people willing to pay for this? $20? I'm guessing that is the min that this game is going to cost.

Cheebo

Banned
Pretty much everyone I've talked to who was around my age who has a desktop has built it themselves, so that probably also skews the results.

No it doesn't. It has been reported time and time again that custom built are a extremely small percentage of PC users. If that's who most people you know then you don't know the average consumer user. AKA the ones who are buying millions of iPad's as replacements for their laptops.

More tablets sold in 2011 than desktops. And by 2015 they will be outselling laptops too.

Personally, I don't see the appeal at all of playing this on an iPad over a PC. This is a 40+ hour game and I wouldn't want to be hunched over my iPad. Aside from that, how much are iPad people willing to pay for this? $20? I'm guessing that is the min that this game is going to cost.

Except I'm usually lying down when I play my iPad

RooMHM

I'm not even sure what this post means at all. Are you upset that other people who don't game on PCs can play this game?
Why don't people game on PC? Baldur's Gate with touch controls is a big defeat for the industry imo. Legends are spoiled, everybody applauds.

Why don't people game on PC? Baldur's Gate with touch controls is a big defeat for the industry imo. Legends are spoiled, everybody applauds.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Infinity Engine RPGs are a perfect fit for a touch interface. There are plenty of genres that do not make sense on a touch screen tablet but this isn't one of them. I don't get the anger.

the iPad IS $500

$400 now, actually.

Why the fuck would I pay 500+ for a tablet when I can get a laptop for a hundred dollars more that can do more than the ipad can?

Getting a laptop that's as lightweight, thin, and portable as an iPad will cost you quite a bit more than "a hundred dollars more" (in fact, the Macbook Air is the best ultrabook on the market and it'll run you $999 for the cheapest model.) Getting a laptop that's as lightweight, thin, and portable as an iPad that also has the battery life of an iPad is impossible.

What do you do with a laptop that a tablet can't support, exactly? A tablet isn't any good for development or advanced graphics work, but it can handle most normal laptop use cases pretty effectively.

I care if they cater almost exclusively to ipads.

You are going to have a hard time in your life.

Vesper73

It's so easy to predict the reaction to what is, quite simply, a bombshell! Retro point and click RPGs have a perfect home on the ipad! I hope this is a beginning of a trend.

This is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Deal with it!

Hoo-doo

Banned

"hunched" over an iPad? You mean playing BG on the plane, on the couch, in bed, in the bathroom, at your parents, in the garden, etc?

You are the one hunching over a desk, brosef.

Skilletor

I never hunch over my iPad. The awesome thing about a tablet is I can sit with it pretty much however I want.

Tried to change the title to reflect the situation where they're just showing Baldur's Gate running on an iPad and it's supposedly not reflective of the upgrades and revamped UI the final version will display.

bob page

I know. There twelve kinds of fruit in that fruit slasher game. TWELVE!!
Here...no but maybe you'd have better luck on a Mac site :p

1LqGJ.gif

Seriously?

I have a dream, that one day, there can be iOS-related threads that aren't shit over within 5 minutes.

Vesper73

Wow...why is this thread so hostile? lol.

I would think it's a good thing the iPad is getting more deep, lengthy, rpgs.

You know why. We all do... Haters gonna hate.

Can I please read about one of my favorite games coming to the ipad without all of the apple haters coming in here and going for a poo in the corner?

Hari Seldon

What do you do with a laptop that a tablet can't support, exactly? A tablet isn't any good for development or advanced graphics work, but it can handle most normal laptop use cases pretty effectively.

I look at it the other way. A real PC can handle all of my work uses plus my entertainment uses, therefore why would I want something that can only handle (some) of my entertainment uses? The biggest entertainment use, obviously, is Steam and PC games that require more than an ARM.

Cheebo

Banned
Wow...why is this thread so hostile? lol.

I would think it's a good thing the iPad is getting more deep, lengthy, rpgs.

I am to this day honestly confused at all the hostility iPad gets on the gaming side here. Especially when it's embraced as a device home to lots of great games in the actual real world. It's a great platform with tons of great unique games on it. I honestly don't see why people get so angry when it gets games. I mean every platform gets exclusives, somehow its wrong when iPad gets some? I don't get it.

Apple haters have such a conflicted mesasge. They attack iPad as gaming platform that only has simple cheap causal games. And then when it gets lengthy deep games like this they cause a uproar because iPad shouldn't be allowed to have those type of games.

Hari Seldon

"hunched" over an iPad? You mean playing BG on the plane, on the couch, in bed, in the bathroom, at your parents, in the garden, etc?

You are the one hunching over a desk, brosef.

The iPad screen is small compared to a 24" screen, and I like leaning back at my desk and using a mouse over having to huddle close to an iPad screen. Just my personal preference, I don't find the iPad that comfortable for gaming any longer than taking a shit length.

Interfectum

The iPad screen is small compared to a 24" screen, and I like leaning back at my desk and using a mouse over having to huddle close to an iPad screen. Just my personal preference, I don't find the iPad that comfortable for gaming any longer than taking a shit length.

Why are you comparing an iPad to computer at a desk?

Vesper73

I am to this day honestly confused at all the hostility iPad gets on the gaming side here. Especially when it's embraced as a device home to lots of great games in the actual real world. It's a great platform with tons of great unique games on it. I honestly don't see why people get so angry when it gets games. I mean every platform gets exclusives, somehow its wrong when iPad gets some? I don't get it.

Apple is the trendy hate of the decade. It was Microsoft last time. I wonder who will get the dubious honor in the 20's...

/digression Let's talk us some games 'n stuff!

Vesper73

Apple haters have such a conflicted mesasge. They attack iPad as gaming platform that only has simple cheap causal games. And then when it gets lengthy deep games like this they cause a uproar because iPad shouldn't be allowed to have those type of games.

It's classic!

1-D_FTW

To be fair, I think it's more than just Apple haters. Certain groups hate anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what gaming is supposed to be.

Skilletor

That's cool. My monitor screen is small compared to my TV. My TV is small compared to a Movie Theater screen. I don't get your point.

I have no problem with the viewing distance of the iPad. I don't have to huddle close to see anything, ever.

Yeah, I guess that's what I don't get.

I played that game...Avadon? I think. I really liked it and thought touch controls were awesome for it. From what I gather, Baldur's gate is a classic, so I'm hoping for a comparable experience.

bob page

To be fair, I think it's more than just Apple haters. Certain groups hate anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what gaming is supposed to be.

Which is strange, because it says this right in the GAF TOS:

B. Trolling

Trolling is considered to be the act of purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion. Negative commentary on given topics is by no means disallowed; however, such comments should attempt to be substantiated. No matter your supposed intent, if the forum administrators perceive you as a troll making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the community, actions may be taken by the administrators.

Cheebo

Banned
Which is strange, because it says this right in the GAF TOS:

Yeah, that is something else I noticed. Anti-iPad (and anti-Tablet gaming in general) trolling tends to get a pass.

Because I don't see the appeal of playing this on an iPad over a PC, if you have both. This isn't a 5 minute taking a shit game.

It's easier to travel with an iPad? You can play the game in your car, on a plane, etc with ease. Basically its the same point for picking a handheld platform for a game over a console or a PC in general.

Mideon

What the hell it's coming out on PC AND iPad so why are people bitching. It's not like it's only coming out on the iPad. Jesus

SmokyDave

...yup, definitely an iPad topic. Complete with posts regarding the viability of the device at all. Let's party like it's 2009!

I'm looking forward to buying BG.

bob page

Because I don't see the appeal of playing this on an iPad over a PC, if you have both. This isn't a 5 minute taking a shit game.

You do realize that owning a desktop + iPad is a VERY popular combination, right? Many iPad owners also own desktops (instead of laptops as their primary computing machine). I, for one, am a PC gamer but sit at a desk at work all day. When I get home, sometimes I want to lounge on my couch or in bed and play, instead.

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean many others do. Millions of others.

Skilletor

Because I can play this anywhere?

I have my iPad with me all the time. Everywhere I go. Also, I don't need to play everything all the time for hours at a time. I can play a game for 5 minutes or an hour on my iPad. Anywhere I want.

Tess3ract

Banned
Getting a laptop that's as lightweight, thin, and portable as an iPad will cost you quite a bit more than "a hundred dollars more" (in fact, the Macbook Air is the best ultrabook on the market and it'll run you $999 for the cheapest model.) Getting a laptop that's as lightweight, thin, and portable as an iPad that also has the battery life of an iPad is impossible.

I'm all about function over form. I don't care if my laptop is a brick as long as it's powerful for the price I'm paying. Paying for looks or weight/thin/etc feels vain to me and a waste of money. I consider it practical to think this way.

And a lot of things. You don't have a decent keyboard, you don't have good aiming controls in terms of lacking a mouse. The best thing that apple has is the multi touch, and that should be on all tablets. You can't play any games, and it's generally another device you have to carry around.

I already have a phone, a laptop, an ipod touch with me. I'd rather keep the laptop and consolidate the phone into the ipod touch, but I can't afford the $90 a month.

Tain

You wanna know what is likely the best version of Nethack for people that have never played it before? The iPad version. Some great decisions made in the porting process, interface-wise, that would also make perfect sense in a PC flavor of the game.

Anyway, I wouldn't pick the iPad version of this over a PC version, as I don't care about portability at all, but iPad hate is weird in this situation.

Aeana

As someone who owns and loves her iPad and will totally play this game on iPad when it comes, I find both sides of this thing to be really irritating. The persecution complex of Apple fans and the firm disdain for tablet gaming are both so very tired at this point.

Cheebo

Banned
What the hell it's coming out on PC AND iPad so why are people bitching. It's not like it's only coming out on the iPad. Jesus

Any game that comes to iPad causes an uproar on the gaming side. Regardless if it's multi-platform or exclusive. To seemingly many on the gaming side it is like the iPad shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

The best thing that apple has is the multi touch, and that should be on all tablets. You can't play any games, and it's generally another device you have to carry around.

Huh?

I'm all about function over form. I don't care if my laptop is a brick as long as it's powerful for the price I'm paying. Paying for looks or weight/thin/etc feels vain to me and a waste of money. I consider it practical to think this way.

How it more pratcical to want lots of horse power than someone who wants something light and easy to travel with?

Not everyone wants something super powerful, hell the vast majority of computer users don't care about what specs it has under the hood. The reason people usually get a laptop over a desktop is form factor. It's lighter and easier to travel with than a desktop. Thus the size, weight, etc of it are huge factors in purchase. Not specs.

Vesper73

Console controls -
Do - Halo
Dont - Diablo

ipad controls -
Do - Balders gate
Don't - Call of Duty

I wish developers would realize that you must focus on a platforms strenghts, and not try to shoe-horn games onto a system that don't belong.

Tess3ract

Banned
Any game that comes to iPad causes an uproar on the gaming side. Regardless if it's multi-platform or exclusive. To seemingly many on the gaming side it is like the iPad shouldn't even be allowed to exist.

Huh?
Any normal games. Like, say Shogun 2 or Planescape Torment, or whatever. Maybe ports like Angry Birds or Plants vs Zombies, like adobe flash casual stuff (that being said, I love pvz) but generally it's just casual games or shovelware.

Top Bottom