• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition first "screens" [Up: X-Platform Multi] PC/iPad/Mac

Hari Seldon

So do you think laptops are equally as worthless?

Enough of this shit lol. My original statement was a comment about my personal preference.

What I am more curious about is what people are willing to pay for this on the iOS. Lets say this comes out at $30, will iOS only people support this?

marrec

Banned
I'm normally all for making fun of iOS as a gaming platform but I can only see positives from this.

If the iPad can resurrect Isometric RPGs as a genre then I'll personally dig Steve Jobs up and kiss his ass raw.

Vesper73

As someone who owns and loves her iPad and will totally play this game on iPad when it comes, I find both sides of this thing to be really irritating. The persecution complex of Apple fans and the firm disdain for tablet gaming are both so very tired at this point.

I think persecution is the wrong term. I believe trendy hate is more fitting.

Tobor

Enough of this shit lol. My original statement was a comment about my personal preference.

What I am more curious about is what people are willing to pay for this on the iOS. Lets say this comes out at $30, will iOS only people support this?

I'd pay $20 without complaint.

Cheebo

Banned
Any normal games. Like, say Shogun 2 or Planescape Torment, or whatever. Maybe ports like Angry Birds or Plants vs Zombies, like adobe flash casual stuff (that being said, I love pvz) but generally it's just casual games or shovelware.

lol those aren't normal games. I doubt most regular people who play games have ever even heard of them. If iPad is just casual games or shovelware explain this very topic you are posting in?

Square-Enix often releases games for around $20 on iPad and they tend to chart and do pretty well. There is the audience for games of this depth and price.

Tess3ract

Banned
lol those aren't normal games. I doubt most people have ever even heard of them.
I'm not even talking about popularity. They're normal, desktop/laptop games. Mobile games are something totally different, no matter how much money they shove into it because of the medium it's on. I'm also not mentioning if the game in question is actually good or not.

Square-Enix often releases games for around $20 on iPad and they tend to chart and do pretty well.
I've seen those, I have an ipod touch but jesus, who pays $20 for a 3d remake they ported over from the DS for a game that's been out 20 years?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Guys ragging on BG heading to iPad, what? Be glad Baldurs Gate is coming to new audiences in addition to PC, this is a good thing.

Riposte

You wanna know what is likely the best version of Nethack for people that have never played it before? The iPad version. Some great decisions made in the porting process, interface-wise, that would also make perfect sense in a PC flavor of the game.

Anyway, I wouldn't pick the iPad version of this over a PC version, as I don't care about portability at all, but iPad hate is weird in this situation.

Games designed for the iPad (and etc) tend to be average at best, but (strategy game) ports (including board game ports and variants) is where the platform shines. Something like Baldur's Gate fits nicely I think.

Vesper73

pEYdm.jpg

Look at that picture and tell me it doesn't make you giddy as a school girl! No offense to any school girls who might be in this thread. Unless of course they diserve it....

Yeah, that is something else I noticed. Anti-iPad (and anti-Tablet gaming in general) trolling tends to get a pass.
Maybe the pro-tablet people (pro-anything really) could actually articulate their reasons for being excited for ports of games instead of just attention-posting. Posts saying that "<Game X> is a perfect fit for <platform Y>" without any justification or thought are just as worthless as the hate-posts.

I mean, read the actual description of the EE version: does a game that requires an on-screen button to toggle between scrolling and selecting sound like something that's a perfect fit?

If iPad is just casual games or shovelware explain this very topic you are posting in?
This topic should be evidence that there is a dearth of games of similar style and depth on iOS, given the excitement. On the plus side maybe once this comes out people will stop recommending mediocrity like Undercroft.
The Chaos Ring franchise are ports?
They're released often? You have actual sales numbers? They're anything other than lowered standards? Is this where people say "well it's better than FFXIII" as if that's something to be proud of?

marrec

Banned
That makes me so excited. I cannot wait. IMO, iPad is the perfect platform for turnbased RPGs.

I'd love to see some remakes of the old SSI Goldbox games (like Pool of Radiance) they would work really well.

I'm just going to go crazy and say we need Might and Magic 1-5 on iPad/Android.

Make this happen!

This I would even pay $30 for it! I don't see why people have such a massive problem with the iPad as a gaming platform.

The same reason some people have a problem with the Wii as a gaming platform? They don't see any games that interest them so they are turned off by all the attention it's getting as a gaming device. Again, I'm one of these people who normally would shit all over iOS as a gaming platform but I just can't this time.

Funny how you think buying an iPad over a laptop is somehow seen as vain... for portability a single touchscreen is far more usable on the go then a folding screen/keyboard/touchpad combination. It has nothing to do with weight, looks, etc and everything to do with usability. It's why tablets are becoming more and more popular and will eventually replace laptops for mainstream portable computing. Caring only about "power" is not being practical, it's being shortsighted.

If I'm going to do any amount of typing then I'd rather do it on a real keyboard. A tablet touchscreen just doesn't provide the feedback or the space I require. For work, I jot quick notes with my tablet and it can browse the web just fine and watch video and such. But if I'm going to do real work, then I need a real computer.

Interfectum

I'm all about function over form. I don't care if my laptop is a brick as long as it's powerful for the price I'm paying. Paying for looks or weight/thin/etc feels vain to me and a waste of money. I consider it practical to think this way.

Funny how you think buying an iPad over a laptop is somehow seen as vain... for portability a single touchscreen is far more usable on the go then a folding screen/keyboard/touchpad combination. It has nothing to do with weight, looks, etc and everything to do with usability. It's why tablets are becoming more and more popular and will eventually replace laptops for mainstream portable computing. Caring only about "power" is not being practical, it's being shortsighted.

Vesper73

I'm just going to go crazy and say we need Might and Magic 1-5 on iPad/Android.

Make this happen!

The same reason some people have a problem with the Wii as a gaming platform? They don't see any games that interest them so they are turned off by all the attention it's getting as a gaming device. Again, I'm one of these people who normally would shit all over iOS as a gaming platform but I just can't this time.

Ultima VII anyone? /sploooooosh

I mean, read the actual description of the EE version: does a game that requires an on-screen button to toggle between scrolling and selecting sound like something that's a perfect fit?

I actually don't think that is necessary and I would hope that they come up with a better solution for that. I would rather something like 2 finger scrolling, 1 finger for selecting a single character, pinching and expanding for selecting multiple characters. Gestures like these are used well in other games and applications. I hope they incorporate those types of solutions by the time they launch the app.

Tess3ract

Banned
Why should someone have to explain why an entirely mouse driven game is a perfect fit for a touch screen?
Oh I'm not ragging on the premise of BG or a TD game or whatever on touch screens, that just works awesome.

My contention is:

1. Price of games->content
2. Price of hardware needed for content

It would be somewhat simple for these games (which are for a different architecture sure) to have a pc equivalent at pc equivalent pricing.

But most of the time they don't have a PC port, which I would decidedly buy.

This I would even pay $30 for it! I don't see why people have such a massive problem with the iPad as a gaming platform.
That's a bit much. Over half of a full msrp for a game that's been out forever simply because it's on the ipad and has some enhanced features and touch screen capabilities.

I'd like to point out exhibit A of doing enhanced editions right: CDPR.

If I'm going to do any amount of typing then I'd rather do it on a real keyboard. A tablet touchscreen just doesn't provide the feedback or the space I require. For work, I jot quick notes with my tablet and it can browse the web just fine and watch video and such. But if I'm going to do real work, then I need a real computer.
Exactly.

Why should someone have to explain why an entirely mouse driven game is a perfect fit for a touch screen?
Diablo is entirely mouse driven. World of Warcraft is entirely mouse driven (except for chat). Sid Meier's Gettysburg is entirely mouse driven. One of those three could probably be made for iPad without having control issues, while the other two would be a mess (the answer is Gettysburg, which shies away from precision actions in favor of long-term planning). Maybe you could explain how going from a device with a minimum of two buttons and a way of constantly indicating position is the same as using fingers whose intentions have to be interpreted each time.

Here's another good example: Splashtop. It's a really neat program that lets me handle simple tasks on my mouse-driven desktop but it requires a lot of specific unintuitive finger actions to do basic actions and doesn't handle precision particularly well, which is fine when I'm opening a movie file or ripping a dvd or whatever, but not so good if I'm trying to move around individual files to specific locations.

Hari Seldon

That's a bit much. Over half of a full msrp for a game that's been out forever simply because it's on the ipad and has some enhanced features and touch screen capabilities.

This is a shit ton of work to port over a full fledged legit game into the iOS. Plus whatever they had to pay to get the license to do this. It wouldn't surprise me if it was $30, but I'm thinking $20 is more likely.

Tess3ract

Banned
Uh, no it's not.
He can play WoW entirely with his mouse actually yeah. He's going to have substandard performance, but you can.

This is a shit ton of work to port over a full fledged legit game into the iOS. Plus whatever they had to pay to get the license to do this. It wouldn't surprise me if it was $30, but I'm thinking $20 is more likely.
$20 is probably my upper end. I'd be happier with $10-15.

Diablo is a fast paced action game that plays completely differently from this.
So? It's entirely mouse-driven. I'd even say it's more mouse-only friendly than BG, because at no point in Diablo did I ever need to select two things on the screen with a third thing that I didn't want selected in-between them (a common action in BG).

Now you're making things up.
Nope.

I don't know what this is.
Unsurprising. I originally thought to use Shogun but the game really wants the player to use the keyboard for the camera and unit grouping.

Hari Seldon

So? It's entirely mouse-driven. I'd even say it's more mouse-only friendly than BG, because at no point in Diablo did I ever need to select two things on the screen with a third thing that I didn't want selected in-between them (a common action in BG).

Yeah, and from what i remember BG has a lot of pixel hunting with your mouse.

I have no problem paying for mobile games but TBH it it were that price I'd just go with the PC version which I know will be superior and likely better long term support.

Minsc

Gold Member

Does requiring someone to touch part(s) of the screen in a touch-driven interface to toggle grid selection sound any worse than having to mouse to the edges of the screen to toggle movement in a mouse-driven interface?

They say nothing that the button toggle is required for selecting either, just that it lets you draw boxes, which you don't have to do all the time in the game, you can likely just as easily tap the portraits or enemies directly:

The camera has been fully optimized for iPad and works in the way players expect. They can pinch to zoom their viewpoint in and out, and a simple drag of the finger moves the camera anywhere around the map. A button toggle locks the camera and enables drag selection boxes, making it easy to select multiple enemies in hairy combat situations. "

In fact, they actually say "the camera works in the way players expect," and "making it easy to select multiple enemies."

I imagine the controls will work well for those accustomed to them, and for those not, like any new control scheme, will just take a little time to master.

Does requiring someone to touch part(s) of the screen in a touch-driven interface to toggle grid selection sound any worse than having to mouse to the edges of the screen to toggle movement in a mouse-driven interface?
Yes? To take it a step further, I consider edge-scrolling to be less ideal than modern methods of using the MMB to activate multi-dimensional camera controls.

They say nothing that the button toggle is required for selecting either, just that it lets you draw boxes, which you don't have to do all the time in the game, you can likely just as easily tap the portraits or enemies directly:
This introduces touch-sensitivity issues that simply don't exist with a mouse. It also does not answer how to deal with selection-avoidance/deselection.

In fact, they actually say "the camera works in the way players expect," and "making it easy to select multiple enemies."

I imagine the controls will work well for those accustomed to them, and for those not, like any new control scheme, will just take a little time to master.
Well, you're just going to have to be Mr. Positive again, because I routinely disagree with the threshold at which you've set "good" in the GoG/iOS threads.

Sothpaw

The NPCs/quest/restoration mods always struck me as pretty rubbish and amateur when I tried them. IIRC the banter pack is fan dialogue too? Which is also not interesting to me. Dungeon Be Gone is straight up skipping content; hard to argue for this being the 'definitive version.' Fixpack, Widescreen and TUTU are all covered by the EE and are just tweaks.

So that leaves us with Ascension and Tactics. Ascension is pretty great and they've talked about maybe incorporating it into EE. Tactics is a matter of personal preference but it's not my thing.

I can understand that you like these things a lot more than I do, but I think it's pretty hard to make the case that these mods constitute an obviously superior version that people would be crazy not to play. The core gameplay, story and etc. from the original game is so much more important to the experience.

Personally, I just found most of the mods for BGII to be invasive and annoying rather than adding quality content. Only the various tweaks/fixes have ever had a lot of value to me.

Well I disagree with everything you said. I can't play BG these days without all of those mods; they make the game so much better. Kelsey rubbish? Soulafein rubbish? I'm thinking you never tried those mods. Unfinished Business finishes quests that were cut from the game. Dungeon Be Gone is 100% necessary for people who have played the game countless times unless you really want to do the starting dungeon for the millionth time. I can understand not using the Tactics mod, but it's necessary if you're experienced and want a real challenge. But opinions are opinions so what can you do.

Also, I can't play BG these days without access to the config file. The normal move speed is extremely slow and I also need to be able to ctrl+J teleport all over the map to save precious time.

I am sure this game will "work" on ipad; it's just not anything I would ever consider buying. To someone who has never played BG, the ipad version might suffice. But if you want any replay value, mods are needed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, you're just going to have to be Mr. Positive again, because I routinely disagree with the threshold at which you've set "good" in the GoG/iOS threads.

I don't set "good" in the GOG thread (well I guess technically I do, but it's not strictly my personal taste), i bold stuff people request or others say is enjoyable in the thread too. As far as my threshold for iOS games, about the only one I can frequently recall talking about definitively is Chaos Rings' virtual pad, which always worked very well for me. I've mentioned tactics a few times as well (more as a "could be good" then is good), but that is a bit different than this since you have screen rotation as well.

Have you played Avadon on an iPad? I know a few people in this thread said it was pretty good, while Spiderweb Software has said that controls will get even better in their future iPad games, as it was kinda an experiment for them.

marrec

Banned
Have you played Avadon on an iPad? I know a few people in this thread said it was pretty good, while Spiderweb Software has said that controls will get even better in their future iPad games, as it was kinda an experiment for them.

I can't speak for the iPad, but Avadon on ICS works like a charm and is intuitive as hell. Of course there is no dragging and dropping but so far I don't feel the need for it.

AEREC

pEYdm.jpg

Look at that picture and tell me it doesn't make you giddy as a school girl! No offense to any school girls who might be in this thread. Unless of course they diserve it....

It does...Ive played through BG1 and its expansion and BG2 but not BG2 ToB. Ive always regretted not completely finishing the series.

Ive always wanted an iPad and I believe this is going to be what pushes me over the edge to get one.

I just hope nothing is sacrificed in the transition and they smoothed out the framerate when some of the larger enemies,
Dragons
, are on the screen (which always went to shit on any PC no matter how powerful).

Durante

I'm looking and it doesn't make me "giddy" in the least. I know they are still working on it, but using that UI with my fingers seems like an awful prospect.

Minsc

Gold Member
I agree. If this port is well made it could be the thing I need to convince myself I need an iPad.

If you need more, they've expressed specific interest in doing a Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition after BG2:EE.

The good news about all these EEs is there's a very high chance any improvements made to the engine and UI of the future games will be rolled back in to the earlier releases as well.

They said they are also supporting cloud saves, possibly even PC/iPad syncing.

Last update, the platforms have not been exhausted... there's seemingly additional platforms besides PC/iPad to be announced.

Vieo

Meh. When I heard "enhanced", I thought the graphics would be better, like ToEE or something. Maybe if we could get some actual screen captures or the game in motion and not a picture of it running on an iPad, I could get a better impression.

Top Bottom