• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

IIRC, SH3 recognizes the 360 controller straight away, but you'll have to configure button settings as the default layout is a bit nonsensical.
amen_Dance.gif

kunonabi

Haha isn't just amazing how badly they fucked this up? It's comical at this point.

Pretty much. I just find the whole situation hilarious now. The complete ineptitude in porting the game over, the useless patch, lackluster and unnecessary new voice work and direction, script changes, the insanity of redoing the score, removing objects from the environment, glitches galore, etc. is just amazing at this point.

I'd say that the ports looked like they were developed by a bunch of chimps but that would be insulting to the chimps.

G-Fex

Son of a bitch man..

I think I might trade it (probably can't return it) to FYE tomorrow.

But I'll continue it/stream it for now.

Edit: I don't even feel like it anymore, I'm done with the game.

Persona7

Banned
There's a weird and pretty nasty sound glitch if you play it on PS3. For me, whenever I shot the rifle it would distort the sound and the proper sound wouldn't return until the credits started rolling. It's been a while since I've played SH1 on my PS3, but I remember having that happen just before the final boss. It should be fine on PSP, though.

It's possible that it's been fixed, or could be fixed by changing the audio settings. It also may only affect certain PS3 models. I'm not sure. It's not game-breaking, just annoying. Like I said, it happened to me pretty late in the game so it wasn't too bad.

It's only $6 or so which definitely is worth it regardless. Plus, you'll be ready for Silent Hill 3 whenever you get a chance to play that.

I think that they did release a updated version on PSN.

Levito

Banned
Son of a bitch man..

I think I might trade it (probably can't return it) to FYE tomorrow.

But I'll continue it/stream it for now.

Edit: I don't even feel like it anymore, I'm done with the game.

At this rate it's not even out of the question that it'll get recalled, and may become a collectors item! You could sell it on ebay for major $$$$$$$$. :p

G-Fex

At this rate it's not even out of the question that it'll get recalled, and may become a collectors item! You could sell it on ebay for major $$$$$$$$. :p

I am steamed.

I'll never fucking blindly buy another game for a good while.

Fucking hell :(

I think this whole bullshit debacle has a place; the originals were masterpieces, plain and simple. It furthers the argument that video games are an art-form. I would be devastated if I had a hand in these games and saw what happened to both of the games. Utter shame. I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this point, but it's worth mentioning again.

Won't even take these games for free.

I think this whole bullshit debacle has a place; the originals were masterpieces, plain and simple. It furthers the argument that video games are an art-form. I would be devastated if I had a hand in these games and saw what happened to both of the games. Utter shame. I'm sure I'm not the first person to make this point, but it's worth mentioning again.

Won't even take these games for free.

Which is probably why Hulett isn't posting here anymore. He's probably drowning in tears knowing that he had a hand in fucking up SH2 and SH3 badly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
There's a weird and pretty nasty sound glitch if you play it on PS3. For me, whenever I shot the rifle it would distort the sound and the proper sound wouldn't return until the credits started rolling. It's been a while since I've played SH1 on my PS3, but I remember having that happen just before the final boss. It should be fine on PSP, though.

It's possible that it's been fixed, or could be fixed by changing the audio settings. It also may only affect certain PS3 models. I'm not sure. It's not game-breaking, just annoying. Like I said, it happened to me pretty late in the game so it wasn't too bad.

It's only $6 or so which definitely is worth it regardless. Plus, you'll be ready for Silent Hill 3 whenever you get a chance to play that.

It has not been fixed. I played it last week. Anytime Harry or any character would say a one word line the audio would cut out. Then my gunshots stopped making noise for a while and then at one point a very loud noise started playing and I had to restart the game but it never happened again. These all happened for me late in the game too. For a second I thought the no noise for the gunshot was a stylistic choice considering where I was in the game, but it wasn't. :p

Nothing huge, didn't ruin my experience but annoying.

Snaku

Banned
I am steamed.

I'll never fucking blindly buy another game for a good while.

Fucking hell :(

There's the rub. This wasn't a blind buy for a great majority of the gaming public, and the two games are held in such high regard that even newcomers felt safe in purchasing this collection. At this point there's a general understanding between developer and player of what an "HD Collection" consists of: two or three beloved last gen titles, rendered at least in 720p, framerate locked in at least at 30fps, and maybe a few current gen tweaks to enhance the visuals (lighting, textures, 3D, etc). What Konami and Hijinx have done here is a gross breach of trust.

G-Fex

There's the rub. This wasn't a blind buy for a great majority of the gaming public, and the two games are held in such high regard that even newcomers felt safe in purchasing this collection. At this point there's a general understanding between developer and player of what an "HD Collection" consists of: two or three beloved last gen titles, rendered at least in 720p, framerate locked in at least at 30fps, and maybe a few current gen tweaks to enhance the visuals (lighting, textures, 3D, etc). What Konami and Hijinx have done here is a gross breach of trust.

It was for me, the only thing I knew was the box art and the fact it was in "HD" I didn't see screens or anything, for all I knew I was getting a shitty port.

And low and behold, the cards failed me and my luck crapped out.

kunonabi

The random ass developer, new voice work+music and omission of SH and SH4 should have been pretty obvious indicators as to where this was going to go. I didn't think it would be this abysmal but I still didn't see anything going for it and the early vids didn't instill much trust either.

kunonabi

What the.. Why change such a completely random thing?

The people working on the series think they know Silent Hill better than the original teams. This was evident with Origins, SM, and Hulett's attitude towards the scripts, voices, and possibly the shuffled music if he had any hand in that.

AkuMifune

Banned
The people working on the series think they know Silent Hill better than the original teams. This was evident with Origins, SM, and Hulett's attitude towards the scripts, voices, and possibly the shuffled music if he had any hand in that.

I don't care who it is, or even if it's the same person, but the man/men/humans responsible for the HD Collection and Book of Memories have no right working with this property. Ill conceived, planned and executed on all fronts. I think Downpour is a great entry in the series, but it'll be overshadowed by all this other mess at once and probably set back the franchise for awhile unless sales of Downpour turn out well somehow. Just a shame.

kunonabi

I don't care who it is, or even if it's the same person, but the man/men responsible for the HD Collection and Book of Memories have no right working with this property. Ill conceived, planned and executed on all fronts. I think Downpour is a great entry in the series, but it'll be overshadowed by all this other mess at once and probably set back the franchise for awhile unless sales od Downpour turn out well somehow. Just a shame.

It is funny how a semi decent SH game finally comes out only to be buried by this hack job. Book of Memories could at least be a good game even if it is a terrible fit for the series.

Sad thing is considering how cheaply this collection was made I doubt Konami will lose any money which is they only thing they pay any attention to.

Lime

So;

for SH2:
  • Hanging bodies removed (WHAT THE FUCK?)
  • Altered signs with different miles somehow
  • road textures completely ruined
  • Boatride obliterated
  • Random lack of lip sync
  • who knows what else?

for SH3
  • no original voices
  • changed script and lines (for no fucking reason)
  • changed audio (for no fucking reason other than putting their mark on it)
  • missing fog
  • lack of lip sync
  • atrocious framerate
  • missing textures
  • lack of dynamic shadows

Seriously, they need to pull this immediately and fix all of this mess.

I wonder why Tomm Hullett or whoever in charge didn't strongly protest against this (e.g. threat of resignation), because no sensible person familiar with Silent Hill would have their name associated with this shit.

kunonabi

So;

for SH2:
  • Hanging bodies removed (WHAT THE FUCK?)
  • Altered signs with different miles somehow
  • road textures completely ruined
  • Boatride obliterated
  • Random lack of lip sync
  • who knows what else?

for SH3
  • no original voices
  • changed script and lines (for no fucking reason)
  • changed audio (for no fucking reason other than putting their mark on it)
  • missing fog
  • lack of lip sync
  • atrocious framerate
  • missing textures
  • lack of dynamic shadows

Seriously, they need to pull this immediately and fix all of this mess.

I wonder why Tomm Hullett or whoever in charge didn't strongly protest against this (e.g. threat of resignation), because no sensible person familiar with Silent Hill would have their name associated with this shit.

Hulett was all for the new voices and he changed the script himself. He is just as responsible for this mess as the rest of them. Hell, he might even be responsible for the music changes for all we know. Hulett has never really shown this appreciation and reverence for the series that people keep attributing to him.

There's also an audio error in the prison of SH2. If you go into the women's bathroom and knock on the bathroom stall, James walks back to the main door and you're supposed to hear a woman scream along with a crash.

In HD? Nope, nothing.

What's even worse about the changed script in SH3 is that the subtitles weren't changed and still have the old text. Purely amateur hour bullshit.

RagnarokX

Come on people. Changing that sign was one of the good changes.

JkqyU.jpg

10 miles? Sure. But Old Silent Hill is 40 miles from the edge of Paleville? Wat? And Brahms being 265 miles away? Holy crap.

Now, a real issue you can have is: while they were busy fixing this sign, why on earth did they make Old Silent Hill closer than Paleville? Old Silent Hill is IN Paleville!

Lime

Hulett was all for the new voices and he changed the script himself. He is just as responsible for this mess as the rest of them. Hell, he might even be responsible for the music changes for all we know. Hulett has never really shown this appreciation and reverence for the series that people keep attributing to him.

What's even worse about the changed script in SH3 is that the subtitles weren't changed and still have the old text. Purely amateur hour bullshit.

Fuck him then. Changing the script for no reason other than to put his own mark on the thing simply indicates a guy wanting to free-ride other artists' work. Whether or not Jeremy Blaustein approved the changes, the original content (word for word) should be there, because I do not care about little change-ups that Tomm fucking Hullett considers to be superior to the original.

A pretty despicable and selfish act, imo. It has never been his call to make, yet he went on and did it.

Come on people. Changing that sign was one of the good changes.

d27yL.jpg

10 miles? Sure. But Old Silent Hill is 40 miles from the edge of Paleville? Wat? And Brahams being 265 miles away? Holy crap.

Now, a real issue you can have is: while they were busy fixing this sign, why on earth did they make Old Silent Hill closer than Paleville? Old Silent Hill is IN Paleville!

Man... Cybil was on her motorcycle for a long ass time considering how far Brahms is :D

Still nothing on a patch? =/

I will still buy this if you bring it up to a reasonable standard, Konami. I can't be alone in waiting to see if they are going to rectify this.

Mr_Zombie

changed script and lines (for no fucking reason)

While I understand why Tomm wanted to change the "despoiled" part and "I'll kill you, bitch!" (though I don't agree with the changes), I have no idea why he thought changing "lousy taste" to "terrible taste" and "Shut your stinking mouth, bitch!" to "Shut your mouth, you stinking bitch!" was necessary. Especially the latter seems so random.

RagnarokX

I'd love to see a map that emcompasses SH1-3, SH4 (South Ashfield), Homecoming (Shepherd's Glen), and Downpour (the...errr...east side of Toluca Lake?)

There is a map that incorporates Downpour's section, which highlights how stupid it is to keep tacking on new sections on different parts of the lake. You're never going to see one with Ashfield because Ashfield is a city half a day's drive from Silent Hill and it has no map.

There is a map that incorporates Downpour's section, which highlights how stupid it is to keep tacking on new sections on different parts of the lake. You're never going to see one with Ashfield because Ashfield is a city half a day's drive from Silent Hill and it has no map.

Ahhhhhhhh. I thought South Ashfield was like right on the outskirts. That makes sense now.

Toluca Lake- the hidden 'great lake' of the USA? :)

So...where's the map? I wanna see it!

Top Bottom