• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman admits to false rape charges against her father; father set free after 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wwltv.com/around-the-web...er-admits-rape-claim-was-a-lie-145871615.html

Kennedy, who said she lied because she was disappointed in her father after her parents divorced, said it was guilt that finally compelled her to come forward to police and admit she lied that her father raped her as an 11-year-old girl in 2001.

Thomas Edward Kennedy, Cassandra's father, denied the allegations, but was convicted by a jury in 2002 and sentenced to more than 15 years in prison.

I cannot believe this sort of thing happened. The girl should have been charged with something.

Original Source: http://tdn.com/news/local/local-gir...cle_bf9cac36-7c7a-11e1-a9e4-001a4bcf887a.html

Cassandra also wrote about the alleged abuse in a journal that included among its pink and purple pages other mundane entries about boys, Cassandra's slipping grades and her older sister's annoying behavior. On the cover, written in a little girl's haphazard letters, were the words "Confidential. No taking peeks."

Later in 2001, in an interview with Longview police investigators, Cassandra used stuffed animals to illustrate what her father had allegedly done to her, reports said. She also drew a picture of a bathroom where she said one of the rapes happened. Police later measured and photographed the room.

Cassandra's account included frightening detail, according to police reports. But if it wasn't true, police wanted to know this year, how could an 11-year-old know so much about sex? Cassandra told police in January that she began engaging in sexual activity as a second-grader. She also said she may have known what to tell police from watching a movie or from walking in on adults having sex.

In March of 2001, Cassandra was examined at a Vancouver clinic where she told a doctor about the alleged abuse. "She looked at me and said, 'Are you telling the truth?" Cassandra said this year of her appointment with the doctor. "I lied to her and said, 'Yes.' "

The doctor found trauma in Cassandra's groin area, according to a report.

Police described Cassandra's allegations during an interview with Kennedy in March of 2001. Kennedy, who was at the time a laborer and equipment operator at Metro Metals Northwest in Kelso, "denied doing anything," a Longview investigator wrote in a report. "He was very upset. He told me he would do anything to prove he didn't do anything."

A jury convicted Kennedy of three counts of first-degree rape of a child in 2002, and now-retired Cowlitz Superior Court Judge Jim Warme sentenced him to more than 15 years in prison.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Being sentenced to prison long-term for a crime you know you didn't commit is quite honestly the most terrifying circumstance I can imagine myself in.

CFMOORE!

that's retarded. i assume she was on the witness stand and obviously committed perjury? though she was an 11 year old.

fucked up girl. if she's not charged with anything i hope she gets some kind of goddamn punishment. and her father better not pull some "i forgive you, honey" bullshit. i'd never want to see this bitch again.

BigDug13

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Since the word of a child is taken as gospel in a case like this. Even with zero evidence, all an 11 year old has to do is make the claim.

I'm surprised there aren't more kids that get grounded and call CPS with some BS allegations.

It also allows wives to get full custody as they can claim that you sexually abused one of the kids. No evidence necessary as you lose your job while the investigation takes place.

mollipen

Stories like this are why I finally came to the decision that I can't support the death penalty. As for the woman, something should happen to her.

Kinyou

Worst think you can do. Just doing a disservice to actual rape victims.

The girl should be charged with something, nothing small like perjury or filing a false report.
If the charge is too high they'd never come forward and confess

Guesong

Better put her in prison.

If only for her security ; shit, if I was her father, there's no way in hell I'm just gonna go all zen after this.

usea

Prosecutors said if they were to charge Cassandra Kennedy with a crime, it might discourage people from coming forward about their fabricated claims in the future, potentially leaving innocent men and women behind bars.
This reminds me of a post I read yesterday:
I'd have more patience for these potential fringe cases where a guy gets screwed over if it wasn't still true that loads of male and female victims of rape see their attackers go unpunished.

Any legal standard is going to have false positives and fringe cases because nothing is perfect but in the case of rape we know that we have a really high amount of false negatives.

If we have to risk charging a few more innocents in order to bring way more guilty to justice I say go ahead. Especially when the innocents only have to make a few minor changes to avoid all risk of being falsely accused. Don't have sex with someone intoxicated. Don't have sex with someone that didn't give you positive consent.
It's better to convict a few innocent people if it means we can also convict the bad guys, right?

right?

edit: I misread the quote from the article (twice). I thought it said discourage people from coming forward about being raped

Future

Kids are so fuckin scary. Anything they say is taken as gospel, and for good reason. But fuck, one spiteful kid can fuck someone over entirely and what can you do about it? Wait till she is old enough to have a conscience.

Kids man. When I see one I just run for the hills

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Well on the plus side I'm sure there are some lawyers licking their lips knowing that the state is going to be paying some real money for wrongful imprisonment here.

Convicted of rape charges with what evidence? Just testimony of an 11-year-old girl?

From the original source: http://tdn.com/news/local/local-gir...cle_bf9cac36-7c7a-11e1-a9e4-001a4bcf887a.html

Cassandra's account included frightening detail, according to police reports. But if it wasn't true, police wanted to know this year, how could an 11-year-old know so much about sex? Cassandra told police in January that she began engaging in sexual activity as a second-grader. She also said she may have known what to tell police from watching a movie or from walking in on adults having sex.

The doctor found trauma in Cassandra's groin area, according to a report.

Tapiozona

Banned
Worst think you can do. Just doing a disservice to actual rape victims.

If the charge is too high they'd never come forward and confess

Disservice to rape victims? What are you talking about. She admitted to lying to put another human beign in jail. A rape victim who's rapist is found not guilty, is not same thing. There simply may not have been enough evidence for a conviction. A jury would have to proove the woman lied.

and imagine what life was like for him in prison.

"that's the suck fuck that raped his own daughter!"

'don't worry, we're gonna teach him a lesson...'

george_us

Stories like this are why I finally came to the decision that I can't support the death penalty. As for the woman, something should happen to her.
I'm still in favor of it but only if they have a gigantic mountain of evidence. Like they have the perp on video tape or something.

Kids are so fuckin scary. Anything they say is taken as gospel, and for good reason. But fuck, one spiteful kid can fuck someone over entirely and what can you do about it? Wait till she is old enough to have a conscience.

Kids man. When I see one I just run for the hills
No, not for good reasons. Children are far more devilish than adults in many instances.

I'm not sure what sending her to jail would do - does the father even want revenge?

Az

Didn't they have rape kits 10 years ago? She either was raped or had sex at the age of 11. What am I missing...

Apparently this is quite rate, somewhere between 1.5% to 2% of rape claims turn out to be false. Although some studies suggest the figure is up to 10%. As far as I'm concerned, claiming to have been raped is as heinous as the act itself when it comes to the intent. I find no reason why these women cannot be placed on the sex offenders list themselves.

antonz

Whats bullshit is the fact they are refusing to charge her with a crime because it "could prevent legitimate rape victims from stepping forward"

Fuck that if you are legitimate you dont need to worry about ruining someones life with a lie. She deserves to spend every day in jail that her Father did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom