• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman admits to false rape charges against her father; father set free after 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinNL

Imagine keeping up the lie year after year when your family visits you and you pretending to be a victim, keeping up the crying face, the sorrow look, all knowing it was a lie. Imagine only to be reminded that a human being is in jail solely because you are keeping up that very lie.

Imagine knowing that person, who has been rotting over 10 years in a place he doesn't belong, will be free in 4 years. Can't possibly imagine what that man will do when he's released. Keep up the pretending and try to get a restraining order?

I'd say she's pretending to be sorry now in order not to avoid something awful 4 years later.

I bet she didn't reveal the truth because she felt sorry for the man, she felt extreme unease for whatever happens when the sentence was over. This was for her the best option.

She's a sly fucking bitch.

Cassandra Kennedy, I will remember your name and avoid you at all costs.

Fucking psychos.

And this act is a big fucking disrespect to real victims, especially those who couldn't get justice. Fuckers. Assholes :mad:

bengraven

as in they convinced her to lie to set him free or they were in on the lie to begin with?

Lie to set him free.

Family misses him: basically convinces the daughter that yes, he's a bad man, but he's served his time. She tells cops she lied, everyone assumes she'll be fine. Dad gets free. Family gets a rapist back in the family.

Good point. I've seen this happen too.

Yep. Except there was no jail time in my example. Girl was raped by her half-brother for seven years, from age 8 to 15 - he even gave her herpes from all the other women he was fucking at the same time. She finally told parents, who convinced her not to report him to the police because a) they believed that even if he did it, he was a "good person" and b) they didn't believe her.

Sad twist of irony: he moved away a few weeks later and they have never seen him again. So not only do they not get their beloved son back, but a rapist went free. He's a professor at one of the top 10 universities in the US.

Nother sad twist: girl has him on her Facebook because "Sadly, he's still my brother and part of me misses him".

scy

11 years, eh? Well I guess doing 70% of his sentence is pretty much the same as doing it all.

Seriously, is there some information about the original case? I'm quite curious if there was anything at all to make it seem like there really was a case besides her word against his.

Um... yes? If I'm not 100% sure she wants me I do 't go for it. I don't want to be misunderstood and get accused because she's just angry.

...that's a bit excessive.

And people wonder why I've historically been to afraid to initiate any sort of sexual relationship with a woman. If she lied and said afterward that I raped her, I'd be presumed guilty.

Poor man, 11 years gone forever. Bitch needs to be punished!

This makes no sense. This guy didn't initiate any sort of sexual relationship with his daughter and he still went away for 11 years.

And people wonder why I've historically been to afraid to initiate any sort of sexual relationship with a woman. If she lied and said afterward that I raped her, I'd be presumed guilty.

How's that love pillow holding up

Kapura

Banned
Lie to set him free.

Family misses him: basically convinces the daughter that yes, he's a bad man, but he's served his time. She tells cops she lied, everyone assumes she'll be fine. Dad gets free. Family gets a rapist back in the family.

i can't believe you would think this. That's the most stupid explanation I've ever heard, and you are basically calling this man a rapist even though you have no proof. HE says he never touched her, SHE's saying he never touched her, but you are still insisting that he did.

for everyone saying 'this is bullshit. a dude can get sent to jail just because someone says so' please tell me what standard of evidence you want an eleven year old victim of rape to provide the police and the court in order to gain a conviction.

here in the real world we have to legitimately ask questions like 'how many innocents being wrongly convicted is a higher conviction rate of guilty parties worth' without just going 'none! no one innocent should ever be sent to jail''.

yes, it sucks that guys can have their lives screwed over by rape accusations, but there is a reason things are the way they are now, and i want anyone who doesn't know why the current standards are in place to do some research as to what things used to be like back when it wasn't the case of 'her word being worth more than his'.

because that is what you're trying to get me to accept as 'better'.

Kinyou

The depressing part is how little money wrongfully convicted people sometimes get.

Wisconsin just pays $5000 per year.

New Hampshire even sets a cap at $20.000, so you'll never get more than that, no matter how long you've been in jail.

Some states are a little better and pay $50.000 per year

source

In Germany it's just 25€ per day by the way.

usea

if we could draw the lines so that no one innocent ever went to jail, and no one guilty ever got away with anything, that'd be great, but here in the real world we can't.

if you have to send a few innocents to jail to send most of the criminals to jail... isn't that better than having no innocents wrongly sentanced and way more criminals out on the street?

it's not like there aren't things in place to allow for the wrongly accused to one day be released. would i like it? of course i wouldn't, but then i wouldn't like it if some previously accused and unconvicted child rapist raped my niece either.
No. No it's not. It's mind-boggling that you think that.

BadTaste

Reminds me of a girl I sort of know, she lives nearby and she added me on Facebook, I hadn't heard of her until she added me. Shortly after adding me she proceeded to PM me, asking how old I was and it didn't take her long to jump to the question about meeting up with her, I said no.

Later I found out she claimed that her brother raped her, and he spent time in jail, it was false charges. She pulled the same scandal with her Uncle, who is her dad... pretty fucked up.

george_us

if you have to send a few innocents to jail to send most of the criminals to jail... isn't that better than having no innocents wrongly sentanced and way more criminals out on the street?

it's not like there aren't things in place to allow for the wrongly accused to one day be released. would i like it? of course i wouldn't, but then i wouldn't like it if some previously accused and unconvicted child rapist raped my niece either.
It's easy to say this when you're not the one getting ass raped in prison for 11 years based off a horrendous lie told by your own daughter.

What if it was your niece who sent you to prison and ruined YOUR life based off a false rape allegation?

scy

i can't believe you would think this. That's the most stupid explanation I've ever heard, and you are basically calling this man a rapist even though you have no proof. HE says he never touched her, SHE's saying he never touched her, but you are still insisting that he did.

Well, I'm curious if we was convicted based solely on "He said, she said." Not sure if I'd be surprised either way, though... :/

The depressing part is how little money wrongfully convicted people sometimes get.

Wisconsin just pays $5000 per year.

New Hampshire even sets a cap at $20.000, so you'll never get more than that, no matter how long you've been in jail.

Some states are a little better and pay $50.000 per year

source

In Germany it's just 25€ per day by the way.

To be fair, 25€ per day is 9125€ a year.

Kapura

Banned

don%2527t_have_a_girlfriend_05.jpg

Lie to set him free.

Really? The "most stupid explanation" you've ever heard? Really?

I didn't see any mention of exculpatory evidence other than the recanted testimony of the girl. Her statements are inconsistent, which means she was lying at one time or the other. Either way doesn't really seem out of the realm of possibility.

J-Rod

Considering actual rape happens more often than people being convicted of it under false accusations, it's hard for me to understand why this would make someone scared of women. However much this should make men afraid of women, the relative amount of actual rape occurances should make women 100 times more afraid of men. Take into account the victim blaming and doubting, and it is really messed up.

cdyhybrid

Reminds me of a girl I sort of know, she lives nearby and she added me on Facebook, I hadn't heard of her until she added me. Shortly after adding me she proceeded to PM me, asking how old I was and it didn't take her long to jump to the question about meeting up with her, I said no.

Later I found out she claimed that her brother raped her, and he spent time in jail, it was false charges. She pulled the same scandal with her Uncle, who is her dad... pretty fucked up.
Wat.

Goddamn crazy people...

Um... yes? If I'm not 100% sure she wants me I do 't go for it. I don't want to be misunderstood and get accused because she's just angry.

I don't think you should let your paranoia about a false rape accusation influence your relationships to such a degree. What qualifies as 100% sure?

bengraven

Really? The "most stupid explanation" you've ever heard? Really?

I didn't see any mention of exculpatory evidence other than the recanted testimony of the girl. Her statements are inconsistent, which means she was lying at one time or the other. Either way doesn't really seem out of the realm of possibility.

Before this goes any further, keep in mind that what I said was a hypothetical based on a simple observation. If the girl says he didn't do it, I'm going to assume he didn't do it.

Stet

Banned
where's devolution? She'll find a way out of this one. ;)

I don't see what this incident does to disprove what she's said in that post. This happened and that's not up for debate. But just because it happened doesn't make it common.

And prevent actual rape victims from coming forward.

Who cares? The worst possible thing that could ever happen is for a male to be falsely accused of rape! Didn't you hear?! It is a common scourge, brought down upon us by the oppressive feminists and their anti-man agenda.

Before this goes any further, keep in mind that what I said was a hypothetical based on a simple observation. If the girl says he didn't do it, I'm going to assume he didn't do it.

That's what I assumed you meant, and why I found it absurd for him to call the hypothetical the "stupidest thing" he'd "ever heard."

Centurion

Banned
I don't see what this incident does to disprove what she's said in that post. This happened and that's not up for debate. But just because it happened doesn't make it common.

what she said in that post had nothing to do with the topic at hand. She does a good job of reversing the guilt, is all.

cdyhybrid

Considering actual rape happens more often than people being convicted of it under false accusations, it's hard for me to understand why this would make someone scared of women. However much this should make men afraid of women, the relative amount of actual rape occurances should make women 100 times more afraid of men. Take into account the victim blaming and doubting, and it is really messed up.
It makes sense to me. It's not my personal viewpoint, but I can understand why one would feel that way. Just because a guy's "risk" is less than a woman's doesn't mean it's insignificant.

Stet

Banned
It makes sense to me. It's not my personal viewpoint, but I can understand why one would feel that way. Just because a guy's "risk" is less than a woman's doesn't mean it's insignificant.

I wonder what the prevalence of false rape accusations is compared with, say, the prevalence of being brutally murdered by a woman you've had sex with while you're sleeping next to her.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No. No it's not. It's mind-boggling that you think that.

Granting that the system is imperfect - some innocent people will inevitably get caught up along with the guilty - people are going to have varying tolerances for false positives vs. false negatives. Neither his position nor your position is "mind-boggling".

sazzy

i'm so happy i'm gay.

i will never have to suffer the consequences of combining 'sex' with 'women'

cdyhybrid

I wonder what the prevalence of false rape accusations is compared with, say, the prevalence of being brutally murdered by a woman you've had sex with while you're sleeping next to her.
I don't see what your point is. False accusations exist. One Million real rapes and one false accusation does not magically erase the false accusation.

Kapura

Banned
Well, I'm curious if we was convicted based solely on "He said, she said." Not sure if I'd be surprised either way, though... :/

According to the article, there was a good faith effort to gather evidence, but I doubt it would have been especially difficult to fake. They said that she was able to describe the bathroom the was "raped" in, but she did, you know, live there so I don't see that as especially difficult to know. She had journal entries, which would have been easy enough to fake. There was also the medical examination where they found groin trauma. I don't know what is required to diagnose that, but I don't believe that this woman wouldn't have self-inflicted injuries to fake it.

It boils down to the fact that a man has exactly dick to say in his defence in a rape case. He can't prove he didn't do anything, and he can't say anything to convince people.

Dude Abides

Banned
That's not the situation that either of us proposed.

You didn't propose any solution (I assume that's what you meant) that I can see. You lamented the fact that an innocent person might go to jail. I pointed out that there is no way to prevent that short of eliminating criminal punishment.

Stet

Banned
I don't see what your point is. False accusations exist. One Million real rapes and one false accusation does not magically erase the false accusation.

Brutal murders exist. One million murder-free sexual experiences and one brutal murder does not magically erase the brutal murder.

If you're so afraid of women because of the existence of false accusations, you may as well be afraid of women because they might murder you in your sleep. That is my point.

bengraven

Who cares? The worst possible thing that could ever happen is for a male to be falsely accused of rape! Didn't you hear?! It is a common scourge, brought down upon us by the oppressive feminists and their anti-man agenda.

That's what I assumed you meant, and why I found it absurd for him to call the hypothetical the "stupidest thing" he'd "ever heard."

Okay, I see what you're saying. I wanted to make sure I didn't read it wrong and I was being brought forth as a defender of her or something. ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom