• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman admits to false rape charges against her father; father set free after 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapura

Banned
Really? The "most stupid explanation" you've ever heard? Really?

I didn't see any mention of exculpatory evidence other than the recanted testimony of the girl. Her statements are inconsistent, which means she was lying at one time or the other. Either way doesn't really seem out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah. I think it's inconsistent that a divorced man's family who was then accused, tried, and convicted of the rape of his daughter would be released because his family wanted him out of prison. That seems to me way more of a logical leap than that she was lying the whole time to get back at him for divorcing her mother.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Like I said, I don't think it's reasonable to go into any potential social situation with rape accusation paranoia, but I can understand why someone would think that.

Fair enough. I can agree with that. I just sometimes feel the urge to "correct" beliefs like that, as fruitless as that may be.

bengraven

Yeah. I think it's inconsistent that a divorced man's family who was then accused, tried, and convicted of the rape of his daughter would be released because his family wanted him out of prison. That seems to me way more of a logical leap than that she was lying the whole time to get back at him for divorcing her mother.

I know of a few trashy families who would want their son/uncle/dad released from prison no matter what he did. I posted an example further up.

I think the people bringing up the hypotheticals are talking from the perspective of his side of the family, not his ex-wife.

And you know this guy got raped while incarcerated because the inmates wrongly thought he was a child rapist.

He's very lucky to be alive and in one piece. Child rapers get killed or abused in prison all the time. His block mates must have done some realllllly fucked up shit.

Also, again, thank Christ there's not mandatory castration laws in place.

Centurion

Banned
Still wanna start some shit do ya?

justbleed.gif

You keep using words like "logical," yet I'm not sure you understand exactly what that means. You make blanket statements about why one "possibility" requires more of a "logical leap" despite the fact that you have included nothing even remotely resembling "logic" to explain how you reached that conclusion.

it's relevant to the thread I linked, just not her quote. you lose!

Oh, well then that explains why you linked the whole thread, rather than that specific quote.

cdyhybrid

Brutal murders exist. One million murder-free sexual experiences and one brutal murder does not magically erase the brutal murder.

If you're so afraid of women because of the existence of false accusations, you may as well be afraid of women because they might murder you in your sleep. That is my point.
So there's not a single atom in your brain that potentially worries that some girl you're randomly hooking up with is going to stab you in your sleep? One more time, because apparently I'm not being clear. The possibility of being falsely accused of rape, or killed by a crazy chick while you're asleep, exists. I can see why he'd be worried. I think he's blowing the risk way out of proportion, personally. But to make it seem like it's not a legitimate concern at some level, no matter how small, is confusing to me.

J-Rod

It makes sense to me. It's not my personal viewpoint, but I can understand why one would feel that way. Just because a guy's "risk" is less than a woman's doesn't mean it's insignificant.

I've seen people mentioned that they think men are assumed to be pervs, sexual predators, or pedos and how it is not right. To those people I would say it's no more right to preemptively suspect women are false rape accusers especially when it has even less basis of reality to it. It's a terrible case of injustice, but it shouldn't make anyone afraid of women.

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, something should happen to her. On the other hand, we should not discourage women from coming forth with allegations of rape. A lot of women are raped, but don't report it to the police because they think they won't be believed or are ashamed and if we start punishing those who do lie to get someone else in jail, then it would just reinforce that concept.

Dude Abides

Banned
An irony of this thread is that one of the posters on the first page has an avatar of an actual convicted rapist who has almost completely rehabilitated his reputation.

God damn. His life is over. Unless he starts suing or something.

suing who? his daughter?

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, something should happen to her. On the other hand, we should not discourage women from coming forth with allegations of rape. A lot of women are raped, but don't report it to the police because they think they won't be believed or are ashamed and if we start punishing those who do lie to get someone else in jail, then it would just reinforce that concept.
meh. someone filing false charges won't have any impact on women who are actually raped reporting things.

And people wonder why I've historically been to afraid to initiate any sort of sexual relationship with a woman. If she lied and said afterward that I raped her, I'd be presumed guilty.

Poor man, 11 years gone forever. Bitch needs to be punished!

So you're saying is that you stay in your otaku bubble because you're afraid of getting hurt. Great job.

doesn't japan have labels for people like this too? vegetarian men or something :lol even your favorite country is making fun of you.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
If it wasn't the father, it was someone else. You don't just start having sex at age 7. I think this probably isn't a simple case of someone lying 11 years ago.

you mean i shouldn't jump to conclusions like you do?
Stop trying to pick fights. What's wrong with you?

sazzy

Yeah, you're right, because this is a consequence that happens ALL the time after sex with women.

it might be because i haven't googled hard enough, but i think the ratio of women falsely accusing someone of rape is far higher than men falsely accusing someone of rape.

Jaleel

Its extremely unfortunate that this man had to suffer so many years behind bars for a crime he didn't commit.

Convicted of rape charges with what evidence? Just testimony of an 11-year-old girl?

Article states:

Later in 2001, in an interview with Longview police investigators, Cassandra used stuffed animals to illustrate what her father had allegedly done to her, reports said. She also drew a picture of a bathroom where she said one of the rapes happened. Police later measured and photographed the room.

and

The doctor found trauma in Cassandra's groin area, according to a report.

So its not to surprising to me as to why people believed her.

suing who? his daughter?

meh. someone filing false charges won't have any impact on women who are actually raped reporting things.

One of the many reasons some women don't report rape is because they feel that they won't be believed. Someone making false allegations just makes it harder for them.

Calcaneus

That guy must be so conflicted, he probably misses his daughter like hell after so many years, but how can you keep from hating her?

it might be because i haven't googled hard enough, but i think the ratio of women falsely accusing someone of rape is far higher than men falsely accusing someone of rape.

what the hell does that have to do with anything? this does not mean it's statistically likely to happen at all.

and if people would actually spend time learning how relationships work at the right age instead of living in their bubble and being afraid of life, they'd be smart enough to know how to avoid crazy altogether. abstinence is not the correct answer.

Kapura

Banned
You keep using words like "logical," yet I'm not sure you understand exactly what that means. You make blanket statements about why one "possibility" requires more of a "logical leap" despite the fact that you have included nothing even remotely resembling "logic" to explain how you reached that conclusion.

:|

SCENARIO 1: Daddy is a child rapist
Girl has been sexually active since second grade. Her father raped his 11 year old daughter after divorcing his wife. She goes to the police and is sentenced to prison as the child rapist he is. 11 years later, the girl then lies and says she made up the rapes.

I can't fathom why somebody would do this. I've still not seen a plausible explanation. I've heard of people not going to the police when after being raped, but I've never heard of a rape victim going to the police, then recanting a decade later, when the perpetrator is in prison.

SCENARIO 2: Daddy is not a raper
Daughter, upset about the divorce, begins to make fantasy journal entries about her father raping her. When she has enough of them, she goes to the police with them. She is able to describe her own house, and the man has no evidence to offer to prove his innocence. He goes to jail. 11 years later, out of guilt, the girl admits that she lied about her father raping her.

This makes much more sense. It follows. The statute of limitations on perjury may have run out, but she sees she has condemned her father essentially to hell and cannot take it any more. It also matches what her father has been saying the entire time. Occam's razor, etc.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I don't think you should let your paranoia about a false rape accusation influence your relationships to such a degree. What qualifies as 100% sure?

That's part of the problem; I'm not sure. And I was always taught that if you're not sure, don't. Sometimes I find out after I was right not to do anything, but other times I should have and it's frustrating. But I have a history of being misunderstood, which is why when I explain things I now tend to be very long winded. I fear being misunderstood. And if that misunderstanding ended up happening with a woman and getting accused of rape, that label never goes away, even if they later admit they lied. That thought terrifies me.

Anyway, didn't want to derail the thread, and for that I apologize. I was just upset thinking how this poor guy got thrown away for 11 years on a false accusation and she'll get nothing. I understand why, but it doesn't sit well with me. :-(

Its extremely unfortunate that this man had to suffer so many years behind bars for a crime he didn't commit.

Article states:

and

I was actually going to mention this, I'm surprised they didn't pry her about who she was sexually active with. Last time I checked second graders don't lose their virginity without some outside help (see: abuse or a much older kid/adult). And even abused children don't have such an extensive knowledge of sex so something was off about that case from the get go. They could at least pry that info out of her now.

It's easy to say this when you're not the one getting ass raped in prison for 11 years based off a horrendous lie told by your own daughter.

What if it was your niece who sent you to prison and ruined YOUR life based off a false rape allegation?

that 'what if it was you' arguement is a really shitty way to argue what should and shouldn't be illegal. what if you got raped by all of the rapists that didn't get convicted because we were so afraid of wrongly convicting someone?

if you put standards like that in place society would not be better off. a fear of something really unlikely is not a reason to let thousands get away with raping people and children.

why do you think the right for appeal exists? it exists because we recognise that wrongful convictions will happen with reasonable convictable standards.

at least you admit that you'd rather see thousands of children get raped than one innocent man get put in prison for 11 years.

And the ratio of false accusations to healthy, safe sexual encounters with women is...? I just find it disingenuous to think that "false rape accusations" are a norm in heterosexual relationships. It's not something that most people have to "deal" with.

sazzy

it would be quite the (sad) irony if she were to actually get raped after this confession and no one believed her

commedieu

Banned

Article states:

and

Right, and I think everyone is missing this. Sure, there was a testimony, but a jury found him guilty with enough evidence. So its not like it was just her word.

People need to feel free reporting rape, but people also have to learn that rape charges aren't a weapon to control others. I think thats the problem with a lot of this. I think its just going to have to be a necessary evil to weed out the real rapists, people have to be weary of situations that can trigger them as well. I'm sure this guy never saw this one coming, but other situations are hopefully avoidable.

As for the guy, 43, that isn't dead. Hes got a long life in front of him. And going through the most horrific thing any guy can, for child rape, in prison, I'm sure he has found religion/spirituality and is moving on from all of this. If hes cool with it, thats good enough for me.

CFMOORE!

Right, and I think everyone is missing this. Sure, there was a testimony, but a jury found him guilty with enough evidence. So its not like it was just her word.

People need to feel free reporting rape, but people also have to learn that rape charges aren't a weapon to control others. I think thats the problem with a lot of this. I think its just going to have to be a necessary evil to weed out the real rapists, people have to be weary of situations that can trigger them as well. I'm sure this guy never saw this one coming, but other situations are hopefully avoidable.

As for the guy, 43, that isn't dead. Hes got a long life in front of him. And going through the most horrific thing any guy can, for child rape, in prison, I'm sure he has found religion/spirituality and is moving on from all of this. If hes cool with it, thats good enough for me.

i would have found intense burning hatred.

The depressing part is how little money wrongfully convicted people sometimes get.

Wisconsin just pays $5000 per year.

New Hampshire even sets a cap at $20.000, so you'll never get more than that, no matter how long you've been in jail.

Some states are a little better and pay $50.000 per year

source

In Germany it's just 25€ per day by the way.

"The compensation to people wrongly imprisoned varies widely by state, and in 24 states, there is no money awarded at all.

Apparently Washington is one of those state; guy suffers from really rotten luck.

People need to feel free reporting rape, but people also have to learn that rape charges aren't a weapon to control others. I think thats the problem with a lot of this. I think its just going to have to be a necessary evil to ween out the real rapists, people have to be weary of situations that can trigger them as well. I'm sure this guy never saw this one coming, but other situations are hopefully avoidable.

False rape allegations are more of a rep problem anyway since most rape cases don't end up in a guilty verdict without some physical evidence of trauma. In this case there was and they really should pry her about who she was actually engaging in sex with. There are cases of girls/women accusing close relatives because they've been threatened with violence if they call out the real perp. Not saying it's the case here but it happens.

How exactly do you move forward from that though? Any job application will ask you if you've been incarcerated. Who the hell is going to hire this guy for saying he was in jail for 11 years for raping a child, even when he tells them it was because of a false accusation? Dude's life is fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom