• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman admits to false rape charges against her father; father set free after 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

I was actually going to mention this, I'm surprised they didn't pry her about who she was sexually active with. Last time I checked second graders don't lose their virginity without some outside help (see: abuse or a much older kid/adult). And even abused children don't have such an extensive knowledge of sex so something was off about that case from the get go. They could at least pry that info out of her now.

I know of some women who actually started masturbating or at least experimenting down there very young - very very young. These women have said some pretty harsh things they did to themselves.

That said, if she was in fact raped and it wasn't her father...who the hell would she be covering up for that she could throw her own father under the bus?

commedieu

Banned
How exactly do you move forward from that though? Any job application will ask you if you've been incarcerated. Who the hell is going to hire this guy for saying he was in jail for 11 years for raping a child, even when he tells them it was because of a false accusation? Dude's life is fucked.

You move forward because its the only option. There is no looking back. For example, he more than likely learned a skill in prison, in between the breaks of brutal rape for being a child rapist, assuming they didn't separate him from the population, so he can go into a business venture over the internet with another name, or have a friend or relative help him out.

I mean at this point its a forced half full issue here. You cant view it from your life perspective, when everything about that life was destroyed for him. He can't go back to it, its gone. So its a new journey for the guy.

Makes sense.

False rape allegations are more of a rep problem anyway since most rape cases don't end up in a guilty verdict without some physical evidence of trauma. In this case there was and they really should pry her about who she was actually engaging in sex with. There are cases of girls/women accusing close relatives because they've been threatened with violence if they call out the real perp. Not saying it's the case here but it happens.

I agree. And yes, the system does work. I just think of unfortunate cases like this, as a set of extraordinary circumstances that got the guy in prison. I can't backtrace the evidence outside of trauma to her vagina. Even without any dna evidence, I think that would be enough for a jury. I wish there could be something done to deter people from using rape as a weapon, but I think whatever that would be, it would be used by rapists/molesters to scare people into not talking about it.

CFMOORE!

I know of some women who actually started masturbating or at least experimenting down there very young - very very young. These women have said some pretty harsh things they did to themselves.

That said, if she was in fact raped and it wasn't her father...who the hell would she be covering up for that she could throw her own father under the bus?

yeah, i couldn't see someone else threatening and being so menacing that she'd do this to her own father.

You move forward because its the only option. There is no looking back. For example, he more than likely learned a skill in prison, in between the breaks of brutal rape for being a child rapist, assuming they didn't separate him from the population, so he can go into a business venture over the internet with another name, or have a friend or relative help him out.

I mean at this point its a forced half full issue here. You cant view it from your life perspective, when everything about that life was destroyed for him. He can't go back to it, its gone. So its a new journey for the guy.

Makes sense.

yeah. move forward after your vengeance is swift and brutal.

:|

SCENARIO 1: Daddy is a child rapist
Girl has been sexually active since second grade. Her father raped his 11 year old daughter after divorcing his wife. She goes to the police and is sentenced to prison as the child rapist he is. 11 years later, the girl then lies and says she made up the rapes.

I can't fathom why somebody would do this. I've still not seen a plausible explanation. I've heard of people not going to the police when after being raped, but I've never heard of a rape victim going to the police, then recanting a decade later, when the perpetrator is in prison.

SCENARIO 2: Daddy is not a raper
Daughter, upset about the divorce, begins to make fantasy journal entries about her father raping her. When she has enough of them, she goes to the police with them. She is able to describe her own house, and the man has no evidence to offer to prove his innocence. He goes to jail. 11 years later, out of guilt, the girl admits that she lied about her father raping her.

This makes much more sense. It follows. The statute of limitations on perjury may have run out, but she sees she has condemned her father essentially to hell and cannot take it any more. It also matches what her father has been saying the entire time. Occam's razor, etc.

Interesting that you mention "Girl has been sexually active since second grade" in Scenario 1, and not Scenario 2... despite the fact that her admission of this did not come about until recently. If she was lying now about not being raped, why would she not also be lying about being sexually active? Seems like an (wait for it) illogical assumption.

Ironically, you also mention the "journal entries" about her father raping her in Scenario 2, and not Scenario 1. So the journal entries can, in your mind, only be evidence contradicting her original rape claims?

Lastly, you leave out of both scenarios the only piece of non-testimonial evidence:

The doctor found trauma in Cassandra's groin area, according to a report.

But yeah, I see why you'd have trouble finding a given scenario plausible when you haphazardly pick and choose which "facts" go into each scenario.

I can't fathom why somebody would do this. I've still not seen a plausible explanation. I've heard of people not going to the police when after being raped, but I've never heard of a rape victim going to the police, then recanting a decade later, when the perpetrator is in prison.

A plausible (hypothetical) explanation was provided in the post you originally responded to. As for the latter: Google.

i don't think trying to figure out what this person was thinking using standard logic really works. no right minded person would do what she did in the first place, so all this 'i can't imagine why she might do x, y and z' doesn't really hold much weight to me.

george_us

that 'what if it was you' arguement is a really shitty way to argue what should and shouldn't be illegal. what if you got raped by all of the rapists that didn't get convicted because we were so afraid of wrongly convicting someone?

if you put standards like that in place society would not be better off. a fear of something really unlikely is not a reason to let thousands get away with raping people and children.

why do you think the right for appeal exists? it exists because we recognise that wrongful convictions will happen with reasonable convictable standards.

at least you admit that you'd rather see thousands of children get raped than one innocent man get put in prison for 11 years.
Your startling lack of empathy was the point I was trying to make. It's easy to reduce someone to a meaningless stat when shit isn't happening to YOU.

And nowhere in my post did I ever say that I'd rather see thousands of children get raped but go ahead and keep thinking that asshole.

charsace

On the flip side you have to wonder how fucked up this guy is after having been in prison, convicted of raping a child? I worked a correction department and everyone hates rapist, and I'm not just talking about the prisoners. Rapists get it the worst in prison. This guy is gettng out and I'm happy for him, but you have to wonder how dangerous he is after being in prison for so long and most likely receiving the worst that prison can give someone.

One doesn't just shove things up her vagina and large enough to break the hymen without some instruction or exposure to that concept at that age.

I don't know. I'm not even sure there was a threat of violence in this case. I would however if I were the people investigating ask her much tougher questions involving her sexual history and why she felt the need to accuse her father. The whole "I wanted to get back at him" angle doesn't really sit well with me considering the evidence that led to people believing her story.

You're startling lack of empathy was the point I was trying to make. It's easy to reduce someone to a meaningless stat when shit isn't happening to YOU.

And nowhere in my post did I ever say that I'd rather see thousands of children get raped but go ahead and keep thinking that asshole.
it isn't a meaningless stat anymore than all the rapists that were convicted because of the current standards, who were prevented from further rape.

this guy is incredibly unlucky, and did nothing wrong. but we shouldn't change the standards and the system isn't 'broken' any more than any legal system is broken in some way shape or form. it was MORE broken when a child's word wasn't worth shit, and when there were many many things in place discouraging victims from coming forwards.

that's your choice. many more regularly raped children or the occasional innocents in jail.

it's not a lack of empathy to point that out. it's a lack of perspective to ignore it.

bengraven

One doesn't just shove things up her vagina and large enough to break the hymen without some instruction or exposure to that concept at that age.

True, though you could argue that quite a few women lose their hymen at very young ages due to falling off a horse or a swing or whatever. But I do agree with you that she was probably abused in some way or at least exposed to ways to abuse her. That needs to be investigated.

I don't know. I'm not even sure there was a threat of violence in this case. I would however if I were the people investigating ask her much tougher questions involving her sexual history and why she felt the need to accuse her father. The whole "I wanted to get back at him" angle doesn't really sit well with me considering the evidence that led to people believing her story.

And 11 is too old to just blame dad because he wouldn't let her talk to her friends on the phone after 9pm each night. (I've heard of children accusing parents of abuse because they were upset by minor rules).

Wow, girls learn that they can ruin a guy's life with a false rape charge at a young age these days, don't they?

I personally have nightmares (real ones) about people accusing me of doing something horrible while being totally innocent. I can only imagine the torture, emotional and probably physical, this guy went through in court and in prison.

This girl should be punished. If it were up to me it would be a harsh punishment indeed.

commedieu

Banned

That, and it took 11 years for her to come to that realization. Getting back at someone, and just getting back, is one thing. Thats a grudge, and this is her father. I'm almost more likely to believe that he did it, and that she is feeling guilty over it, pressure from family, etc.. than just "ooohh BURN, GOTCHA!!" Something is off with everything here. Maybe thats why hes not going after this..?

leadbelly

Banned
You know accusations of rape are treated very seriously. Of course over the years a lot of criticism has been thrown at the police in the way they handle rape cases which of course has led to changes in practice in various countries. An accusation of rape will lead to a very thorough investigation. The investigation will last months. It is not a simple your word against theirs it is a 'no stone left unturned' investigation where you're pretty much presumed to be guilty until proven otherwise.

I was reading some stories on a forum dedicated to this very subject and it sounds like a total nightmare to be honest. The sort of experience that could change you in one way or another.
http://www.daftmoo.org.uk/mooforum/forumdisplay.php?44-UK-False-Rape-Accusation-Issues

It's not really a side anyone explores much I guess.

Kapura

Banned
Interesting that you mention "Girl has been sexually active since second grade" in Scenario 1, and not Scenario 2... despite the fact that her admission of this did not come about until recently. If she was lying now about not being raped, why would she not also be lying about being sexually active? Seems like an (wait for it) illogical assumption.

Ironically, you also mention the "journal entries" about her father raping her in Scenario 2, and not Scenario 1. So the journal entries can, in your mind, only be evidence contradicting her original rape claims?

Lastly, you leave out of both scenarios the only piece of non-testimonial evidence:

But yeah, I see why you'd have trouble finding a given scenario plausible when you haphazardly pick and choose which "facts" go into each scenario.

A plausible (hypothetical) explanation was provided in the post you originally responded to. As for the latter: Google.

Hey, fuck you buddy. I'm not denying evidence in either scenario, rather, I'm using the pertinent information to draw a direct line to my conclusions. Her making up journal entries is necessary for the scenario in which she was lying the whole time; it is not necessary for the scenario in which she was actually raped.

As for the injury; I didn't include it because I don't think it can be used to prove or disprove either side of the story. It could be self inflicted, it could be from somebody else, it could have been as described in the original explanation. I can't use it in either scenario, so I address it in neither.

And family pressure is not a good explanation. This girl, from the article, is some ex-drug addict who is currently away doing mission trips. Doesn't sound like family pressure to free the father to me.

On another note, I just got finished reading the long article. Here's some neat stuff:

In a 2001 interview with police, Cassandra said she wanted her father to take a lie detector test. When an investigator asked her what questions her dad should be asked, none of her suggested queries involved sexual abuse. Instead she wanted police to ask Kennedy: "Do you still smoke pot? Do you like to your kids? Do you still drink?"

Kennedy never took a lie detector test on the advice of his attorney, according to investigative documents.

Cassandra said this year that, as a child, she didn't understand the consequences of her lies. She told police she hadn't thought Kennedy would go to prison if he was convicted. "I just thought he would go away, you know, go to jail for a little bit, be out of my life," she said.

Baur, who was the prosecutor during the case, recalled Friday that all of the pieces in the investigation seemed to fall into place.

"It just totally made sense," she said.

and
Cassandra's family members recalled to police this year that, during a 2002 trip to the beach, Cassandra told her mother she'd lied about the rape allegations, according to reports. However, Cassandra took back the statement a day later and insisted she'd been telling the truth all along, family members told police.
HMM

True, though you could argue that quite a few women lose their hymen at very young ages due to falling off a horse or a swing or whatever. But I do agree with you that she was probably abused in some way or at least exposed to ways to abuse her. That needs to be investigated.

Even then I don't think you'll suffer trauma that looks like sexual assault. Plus she admitted to being sexual active in the second grade.

And 11 is too old to just blame dad because he wouldn't let her talk to her friends on the phone after 9pm each night. (I've heard of children accusing parents of abuse because they were upset by minor rules).

Right. I don't think her father did it but I think someone took advantage of her and I'm surprised there wasn't further questioning into whom. And if she just did these things to herself, then I think that would be newsworthy too. There's just a lot left out that doesn't jive.

That, and it took 11 years for her to come to that realization. Getting back at someone, and just getting back, is one thing. Thats a grudge, and this is her father. I'm almost more likely to believe that he did it, and that she is feeling guilty over it, pressure from family, etc.. than just "ooohh BURN, GOTCHA!!" Something is off with everything here. Maybe thats why hes not going after this..?

i can understand how it took so long though. the fear of what would happen if she was caught out in this lie would have kept her quiet for a long time. with each year, coming clean must have become harder.

i wouldn't be surprised if fear of him getting out soon and having to look him in the face and know that he knew what she did was part of what made her come clean now.

akira28

Goddamn that makes me so sad. I feel so bad for her father. It must have been like his heart was crushed every day of his life for the last 11 years, knowing he didn't do what she claimed, and knowing that she hated him so much to say those things about him. Just Goddamn.

Kapura

Banned

Upon reading the full story, it seems like the girl found jesus before she came out and admitted her hoax. Makes sense.

commedieu

Banned
Wow, girls learn that they can ruin a guy's life with a false rape charge at a young age these days, don't they?
I personally have nightmares (real ones) about people accusing me of doing something horrible while being totally innocent. I can only imagine the torture, emotional and probably physical, this guy went through in court and in prison.
This girl should be punished. If it were up to me it would be a harsh punishment indeed.

Yeah, its a sad reality. But with divorce rates, kids growing up way too fast, it is a reality you have to deal with. My ex had a daughter, 8, she loved me. But It was always at the back of my mind to keep myself out of those types of situations, like being alone with her. Not to say she would, but its just that I'm not going to risk my life over it. She really wanted her parents to get back together, and even wanted the dad to move in with us.

She was a sweet innocent kid who liked spongebob. But her friends were fucking 8 going on 18, talking about their boyfriends, kissing boys, their penises, they would do stripper 'drop it like its hot' dances etc.. I wouldn't put it past one of them to know what rape/molestation was, and think its a good way to get rid of someone without really understanding the consequences. Those kids truly made me nervous, as I know they didn't care for me as a brown guy...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

This is why this fucking sucks.

Even when the accuser comes out later and confesses to lying, you're more likely to believe that she's lying about him being innocent than that she was lying about him being guilty.

In the situation where a person is falsely accused of rape, what the fuck are they supposed to do with the rest of their life?

commedieu

Banned
i can understand how it took so long though. the fear of what would happen if she was caught out in this lie would have kept her quiet for a long time. with each year, coming clean must have become harder.

i wouldn't be surprised if fear of him getting out soon and having to look him in the face and know that he knew what she did was part of what made her come clean now.

Man. Its just a shame to have those feelings brewing for this long. I'm sure its a relief for both of them, I hope he can forgive her for it. Really hope there is a happy ending with this one.

This is why this fucking sucks.

Even when the accuser comes out later and confesses to lying, you're more likely to believe that she's lying about him being innocent than that she was lying about him being guilty.

In the situation where a person is falsely accused of rape, what the fuck are they supposed to do with the rest of their life?

She is a liar. She could very well be lying again. This can go either way at this point. I'm factoring in time with her word. The time that it took for her to come to her senses seems more than just getting daddy back, but that combined with a lot of mental anguish she had to deal with. Physical abuse takes a toll on people, she had vaginal trauma as well. As Dev said, she could have possibly done it herself. But for me, thats just mental abuse manifesting itself in physical abuse. The other option is that she was sexually abused by someone. I hope she found therapy, because the woman has issues.

After this, the guy has to move on. I posted about this earlier. There is no other option. Name change to do business, do business with a friend/family since they know shes lying now. Enjoy life. As horrible as all of this has been, the guy has already been through hell. There is nothing that life can throw at him that matters as much as what he has been through. Its harder to live life in our system, sure, but that life in that system was taken away from him. He has to do an alternative, but it doesn't mean that he can't enjoy and find something in his future years.

noah111

Still Alive
And people wonder why I've historically been to afraid to initiate any sort of sexual relationship with a woman. If she lied and said afterward that I raped her, I'd be presumed guilty.
And yet millions and millions have sex across the world every day with no illegal implications! Who woulda thought...

Grow up or get better excuses.

bengraven

Even then I don't think you'll suffer trauma that looks like sexual assault. Plus she admitted to being sexual active in the second grade.

Right. I don't think her father did it but I think someone took advantage of her and I'm surprised there wasn't further questioning into whom. And if she just did these things to herself, then I think that would be newsworthy too. There's just a lot left out that doesn't jive.

Yeah, after reading that bit above about not wanting to test her father on the supposed sexual abuse, but on other issues it makes me think maybe he was doing other things. Maybe he was abusive emotionally. Maybe she didn't like the way he treated her mom. Maybe because she was sexually active, she blamed him for that and wanted to punish him.

Not saying she's a hero or even that he was a good guy - there just needs to be more investigation into this. Why she did this and if she feels justified despite the guilt.

mblitek

Jesus. That's horrible. It's not like the 11yrs is suddenly up & over with either, his name will still have that stigma. Finding relationships, jobs, friends etc will all have this black cloud over him now.

Read the entire article. It paints a picture of a troubled child, who got addicted to pills. She got into meth and was arrested several times. Sounds like it was only recently she decided to seek help for her problems, which is what led to her to realize she shouldn't have her dad be in prison any longer because of the lies she told.

akira28

They divorced in 1991, she was only a year old then it seems. Someone who was there while her father wasn't in the home, maybe a relative or a family friend, or a boyfriend of her mom, possibly could have has sexual contact with her. An older schoolmate or a older peer like a babysitter or something, it's possible because it certainly does happen. Someone who is trusted around a child, but has no business being around the child.

I wouldn't suspect it was the father though, I don't know about the family life in 2001, if her primary home with her mom was fully mended or what.

Jesus Christ. Now you're misusing words like "pertinent." FFS, man.

I'm not denying evidence in either scenario, rather, I'm using the pertinent information to draw a direct line to my conclusions.

She is saying now that she was sexually active since second grade. If she is lying now, that statement is cast into some doubt. If she is not lying now, then the statement bolsters her credibility now. You included the "fact" in Scenario 1 and not Scenario 2... the exact opposite of what you should have done.

Her making up journal entries is necessary for the scenario in which she was lying the whole time; it is not necessary for the scenario in which she was actually raped.

The credibility of the journal entries matters in either Scenario. Either they're credible or they're not. You disingenuously ignore the existence of the journal entries, as well as the evidence of physical trauma in Scenario 1--when they clearly would weigh on the plausibility of the scenario--before simply writing it off as "implausible."

As for the injury; I didn't include it because I don't think it can be used to prove or disprove either side of the story. It could be self inflicted, it could be from somebody else, it could have been as described in the original explanation. I can't use it in either scenario, so I address it in neither.

By itself, it "proves" nothing. In conjunction with testimony, it absolutely does bear on (or bolster) her testimony. Do you know how "evidence" works? No, huh?

On another note, I just got finished reading the long article. Here's some neat stuff:

and

HMM

All this assumes that what she is saying now is more credible. You can't assume she's more credible now in order to show why it is implausible that she was more credible back then. You're turning "logic" into a feedback cycle.

Hey, fuck you buddy.

Does not follow from the premises. Now you're just embarrassing yourself.

In cases where innocent men are jailed for rape, there should be a special criminal charge for the women who ruined that man's life. Seriously, a false report to a peace officer charge is not enough. The woman in question should have to spend an equal amount of time in prison and pay reparations to the man. Absolutely disgusting.

In cases where innocent men are jailed for rape, there should be a special criminal charge for the women who ruined that man's life. Seriously, a false report to a peace officer charge is not enough. The woman in question should have to spend an equal amount of time in prison and pay reparations to the man. Absolutely disgusting.

What a nasty bitch. Good luck finding a relationship with that fucking skeleton in your closet.

Need I remind some people that an 11 year old doesn't have the greatest concept of crime and punishment.

Dude Abides

Banned

Should this apply to false accusations of any crime that result in conviction, or is rape unique in this regard?

squidyj

Get a cameo in The Hangover?

If only we were all able to afford public relations people and make television appearances to reinforce our good image.

There's no way to punish a false allegation without making it less likely for false accusers to come forward and less likely for real rape victims to come forward, which sucks because it means someone who goes in there with a malicious intent to ruin someone elses life can walk away scott fucking free. In fact that's the only way it's going to end!

the question you are asking there is this. is rape worse than wrongful imprisonment? i mean, that's essentially what you are weighing up. we know that rape victims very regularly are too afraid to come forwards. in a situation where someone *was* raped and it's their word against their attacker, who is going to come forwards if it means a decade or more in prison?

there are no easy answers in all of this. when you look at the bigger pictures and realise that an idealised view of things isn't an accurate one, you'll maybe start looking into the real questions and maybe you won't come to different conclusions, but at least your conclusions will be more informed.

again, i'd like to remind everyone that things were worse back when victims were afraid to come forwards, and when getting a rape conviction was overly difficult. is it too easy now? i'm really not sure... but i don't see any solution to the 'should the word of an 11 year old be gospel' problem that doesn't have a big downside.

saying no, leads to child rape. saying yes, leads to wrongful convictions. i think the latter is less harmful than the former. that's all.

CFMOORE!

Need I remind some people that an 11 year old doesn't have the greatest concept of crime and punishment.

each year that passed she didn't stay 11 years old. she let 11 years go by. at what age should she have a good understanding?

at 11 i knew not to accuse people of horrible crimes.

Lich_King

It's okay, he only got 11 years of prison rape for nothing, definitely worth all those other rape victims who came out of woods after seeing him convicted, right?

Violet_0

Banned
so many bans ...

So he can now legally rape her, right? Double Jeopardy or something...

He has done the time, so now he's entitled to do the crime.

He already did the time, might as well do the crime too now. Double jeopardy!

it would be quite the (sad) irony if she were to actually get raped after this confession and no one believed her

and whatever comment Centurion was banned for

some people here are weird

e:
So if he would rape her now he would only get 4 more years? Seems like the right thing to do.

It's okay, he only got 11 years of prison rape for nothing, definitely worth all those other rape victims who came out of woods after seeing him convicted, right?

i get it, you weren't raped as a child so you can't empathize with that, but you aren't a rapist and you can imagine what it would be like to be falsely accused of rape.

here on Earth, either you accept that wrongful convictions will happen if you want to ensure a good amount of dangerous people get put away, or you deny reality and demand an unworkable legal system.

it sucks for this guy. his life was ruined... but so many of the knee jerk reactions to this sad story would lead to more rapes happening... and as a standard for whether or not something is a good idea or a bad idea 'would lead to more rape' definately falls under 'bad idea'.

charsace

I don't fall for this anymore. Over time society has prolonged childhood.

Just a couple of years ago a 10 year old kid shot his dad's pregnant girlfriend in the face with a shotgun and took the spent shells and dumped them on his way to school.

ShadowOS

Banned

dont underestimate sexual experimentation at early ages.

an old friend of mine finger banged my other friend's sister's friend. he was grade 8 (age 13) she was grade 6 (age 11). keep in mind this was much over 10 years ago now.

everyone got in deep shit for that event (parents found out) but i digress. the two enjoyed the experience regardless. she also admitted to using hairbrush handles for you-know-what.

not every child is sweet and innocent. many are curious and in heat at that age.

Stet

Banned

lol my favourite part of this thread is all the people condemning the justice system for convicting an innocent man for rape despite real (though misleading) evidence in the same breath as they assume this guy was raped with zero evidence beyond assumption.

Socreges

Banned
For anyone actually seriously suggesting that she may be lying now, for some mysterious reason, maybe try reading the rest of the article. Also, get your head checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom