• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
But which studio is? Surely DKC is not going back to the moth balls now.

They don't have to make these titles with tommy gun frequency, you know. It's not like there were three Smash Bros games for the Wii. Let Retro make something else, then they can make the game everybody wants them to make
"The Legend of Donkey Prime", apparently

guek

Banned
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only person coming across as mad here is you, paco.

naw dawg, I'm flyin free as a bird

nEkii.gif

You probably wouldn't be talking like this if he wasn't a junior...

lol. you don't know my posting history :p

I absolutely do not have a problem with Nintendo launching with a 2D Mario. It's an exceedingly good business move, no matter how much I'd prefer a HD 3D title.

I would have a problem with them maintaining the same artstyle and soundtrack as the other two NSMBs, though. They are launching a HD console, and frankly I don't give a shit if they're aiming for a wider audience; if the game is showcased at E3 this year looking like it did last year, then they are treating their audience with utter contempt. I don't often agree with the whole Nintendo are lazily rehashing their IP argument, but shitting out a NSMB with Miis crowbarred in and token running on the pad is the dictionary definition of the practice.

Somebody in Nintendo's PR had their head screwed on right when they dropped Pikmin 3 at E3 into the discussion, because I'd be feeling really sour about Nintendo at the moment otherwise.

BurntPork

Banned
So, according to Gaf:

1. NSMB Wii was not a fantastic title
2. A NSMB Wii-U title at lauch is disappointing news
3. Pikmin should be more realistic (lol?)
4. Though the final lauch line-up hasn't been announced yet, people have already decided that it isn't good enough

Ya'll be crazy.

thisisneogaf.gif

Kacho

I absolutely do not have a problem with Nintendo launching with a 2D Mario. It's an exceedingly good business move, no matter how much I'd prefer a HD 3D title.

I would have a problem with them maintaining the same artstyle and soundtrack as the other two NSMBs, though. They are launching a HD console, and frankly I don't give a shit if they're aiming for a wider audience; if the game is showcased at E3 this year looking like it did last year, then they are treating their audience with utter contempt. I don't often agree with the whole Nintendo are lazily rehashing their IP argument, but shitting out a NSMB with Miis crowbarred in and token running on the pad is the dictionary definition of the practice.

Somebody in Nintendo's PR had their head screwed on right when they dropped Pikmin 3 at E3 into the discussion, because I'd be feeling really sour about Nintendo at the moment otherwise.

What if it came as a pack-in?

Redford

aka Cabbie

Very good post.

lol. you don't know my posting history :p

I'll assume that's what the gun represents :lol

I would be highly amused if the 3D Mario game ended up being absolutely stellar, completely beautiful, with a billion polygons per microsecond, full screen 32x anti-aliasing, impossible water effects, super tesselation, incredible lighting… but in 480p, just to piss of a few people. :D

Too bad 2D Mario will be on 3DS and not Wiiu :p

guek

Banned
I'll assume that's what the gun represents :lol

For a short time, I gave Amir0x so much shit back when he was a crazed, rampaging mod that terrorized these boards. To this day I have no clue whatsoever why he never perma'd me when he dropped that ban hammer on many others for a lot less. He was kind enough to give me a warning though before I started to back off a bit :p

Anywho, concerning the GI article, it just further cements my theory that analysts are never, ever privy to pertinent information apart from sales and statistics that isn't widely available to the public. They get paid to think, and their collective thoughts predictably tend to be a mixed bag, some being thoughtful or interesting and others not so much. But nothing I've ever read by an industry analyst has ever convinced me I should pay more attention to their musings than say any given insightful post by a stranger on a message board.

Antioch

You know, 2D Mario being shown wouldn't mean we can't get to see the next 3D Mario, I think it'll be like E3 2009 where they showed both NSMB Wii and SMG 2.

So should we start speculating as to what their list of Wii U games at E3 will look like? I think they'll try to show as many big games as they possibly can, so:

New Super Mario Bros. Mii
Pikmin 3
Retro's Game
Monster's Game
another Project M Metroid
Eternal Darkness 2 (considering SK talk of making the most asked for sequel)
Wii U Sports
Wii U Fit
Good Feel's next game
Super Mario Wii U (EAD Tokyo)

And if we're really lucky, Nintendo might decide to show a CG trailer of SSB4, I think they could get someone to put together a trailer similar to the Brawl trailer at E3 2006, not showing any gameplay, just new characters to build up hype. It's unlikely, but I wouldn't say impossible.

Also, what if the Super Mario 4 trademark is for the next 3D Mario?

Either way I think their line-up is going to be very impressive at E3.

Redford

aka Cabbie
For a short time, I gave Amir0x so much shit back when he was a crazed, rampaging mod that terrorized these boards. To this day I have no clue whatsoever why he never perma'd me when he dropped that ban hammer on many others for a lot less. He was kind enough to give me a warning though before I started to back off a bit :p

You are one lucky bastard man, from what I've heard about him. :p

That link does not say anything about the Wii U. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Although it would be highly irregular for Nintendo, who has never (to my recollection) made a multiplat game, there have been some pretty decent cases made on these threads suggesting how Nintendo could conceivably do it in the "Nintendo Way".

I simply think it (the 3DS version) will be a new spin. I can't see Nintendo pulling off these strange co-dependent pairs for more than Smash Bros.

Zavvi (UK online Retailer) may have possibly leaked the European Wii U launch date:
Friday 16 November 2012.

C'mon son, retailers do this all the time. Didn't a Spanish site post one a few days ago too?

Linkhero1

So, according to Gaf:

1. NSMB Wii was not a fantastic title
2. A NSMB Wii-U title at lauch is disappointing news
3. Pikmin should be more realistic (lol?)
4. Though the final lauch line-up hasn't been announced yet, people have already decided that it isn't good enough

Ya'll be crazy.

1. It was alright, but it looked like shit and the music wasn't all good.
2. Not really, but I can think of several titles I would rather have at launch.
3. Never played Pikmin, so I don't know.
4. True. People shouldn't be overreacting until after E3.

Luigison

C'mon son, retailers do this all the time. Didn't a Spanish site post one a few days ago too?

If I was a video game retailer I'd post pre-orders like this to get more people to pre-order. The more that pre-order the more potential sells. If I was an obscure online retailer this might be a huge sales increase.

BTW, I like the new avatar.

Redford

aka Cabbie
1. It was alright, but it looked like shit and the music wasn't all good.
2. Not really, but I can think of several titles I would rather have at launch.
3. Never played Pikmin, so I don't know.
4. True. People shouldn't be overreacting until after E3.

Even a staunch detractor of the game like myself wouldn't say it actually looked "shit" in terms of graphics. Moreso the style, which I'm sure is what you meant.

DrWong

Positive article from gamesindustry.biz
"Wii U: Nintendo will do just fine"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-16-wii-u-what-analysts-think-now

What factors will be crucial in Nintendo's ability to make the Wii U a solid seller, and the Wii U ecosystem as a whole profitable for Nintendo? Macchiarella sees two key things for Nintendo. "Proving that the new controller means truly innovative gameplay, and a good game lineup at launch."
Thanks. Fine. You're on par with us. We're all NDAed. Bye.

guek

Banned
Even a staunch detractor of the game like myself wouldn't say it actually looked "shit" in terms of graphics. Moreso the style, which I'm sure is what you meant.

It looked sterile...which was fine for the masses it seems but disappointing for a lot of people who have been regularly playing mario games for years.

The problem was that the art style seemed more than serviceable on a small handheld screen but just felt underwhelming on a TV. I think there's a 50/50 chance it'll be visually distinct from what we saw at E3 if it's a retail game. If it turns out to be a pack in, it'll probably remain unchanged and few people will really care at all because hey! It's free!

I think a lot of people get their panties in a bunch because they know they'll want to play a new mario game but they just don't want to pay for it if it looks as visually un-stimulating as previous NSMB titles. Personally, I'm hoping it's a pack in and we see a trailer for a 3D mario slated for next year.

CaLe

Price?

199$ - 250$

Release date?

Late October.

1st party launch titles?

Pikmin, Wave Race and a Retro Studios game.

Bullshit xbox360 multiplayer equivalent?

Yes.

E3 Surprise?

GTA V Launch Title, optimised for the Wii U.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I think a lot of people get their panties in a bunch because they know they'll want to play a new mario game but they just don't want to pay for it if it looks as visually un-stimulating as previous NSMB titles. Personally, I'm hoping it's a pack in and we see a trailer for a 3D mario slated for next year.

Yeah. It's just sort of weird that we got a (lovely) kick in the keisters with SMG 1&2, and then suddenly the company that is made out to be the Willy Wonka factory of games is... sort of pulling an Activision.

If NSMB is Nintendo's causal franchise and Nintendo has no intention of that changing, I can accept that. Like you said, I'll be happy if we see 3D Mario concepts or screens, because we know that is intended for us.

If I was a video game retailer I'd post pre-orders like this to get more people to pre-order. The more that pre-order the more potential sells. If I was an obscure online retailer this might be a huge sales increase.

BTW, I like the new avatar.

Mhm, I was just kind of trying to combo break Weevil's news links, hehe. :p And thank you!

Who makes the NSMB games? EAD1, right? Those guys need a kick up the arse, because I swear all the serious talent is in Tokyo. God I hope Tokyo are working on something great for Wii U.

BlackJace

Price?

199$ - 250$

Release date?

Late October.

1st party launch titles?

Yes.

E3 Surprise?

Naaaaah. The only way I can see the Wii U being that price range is if "TEH HARDWARE IZN'T POWURFUL." Nintendo's not going to sell the thing at a loss, nor is it going to pull a "five-hundred and ninety-nine dollars".

Price?

199$ - 250$

Release date?

Late October.

1st party launch titles?

Yes.

E3 Surprise?

Hahaha...oh god.
If anything it'll be released a couple months after launch. I really don't see it being a launch title.

WUST_120416b.png

Yay, my killer app has been optimized for the NeoGAF architecture. Turns out when you customize your software specifically for a platform, performance dramatically increases!

It's the 17th now (UTC), so I figured that I should pop up the new and improved version showing the results for the last day, which was the highest performing day for a non-launch Wii U Speculation Thread ever! Thankfully, it bested the previous high, which I believe was the terrible one filled almost entirely with not actually funny animated pictures and fake news stories that got people
well, person
banned. So we can feel a bit more confident in ourselves as we push onward!

So, anyway, this is following a fairly Nintendo path. Thread 1 is like the Gameboy, which sold well but at a generally sub-gangbuster level for an eternity. Thread 3 is the GBA, which started out massively but had a short life. Thread 4 is the DS, which started out weaker than its predecessor but rapidly attained Beast Mode and never looked back! :D

NB: Thread 1 actually lasted 210 days, but the chart would look really scrunched if I included that whole time.

Also, don't read this if you have power over man and beast:
Guess which thread isn't locked yet?

WUST_120416b.png

Yay, my killer app has been optimized for the NeoGAF architecture. Turns out when you customize your software specifically for a platform, performance dramatically increases!

It's the 17th now (UTC), so I figured that I should pop up the new and improved version showing the results for the last day, which was the highest performing day for a non-launch Wii U Speculation Thread ever! Thankfully, it bested the previous high, which I believe was the terrible one filled almost entirely with not actually funny animated pictures and fake news stories that got people
well, person

So, anyway, this is following a fairly Nintendo path. Thread 1 is like the Gameboy, which sold well but at a generally sub-gangbuster level for an eternity. Thread 3 is the GBA, which started out massively but had a short life. Thread 4 is the DS, which started out weaker than its predecessor but rapidly attained Beast Mode and never looked back! :D

NB: Thread 1 actually lasted 210 days, but the chart would look really scrunched if I included that whole time.

I have no idea why you're doing these, but I love them.

BD1

Banned
Who makes the NSMB games? EAD1, right? Those guys need a kick up the arse, because I swear all the serious talent is in Tokyo. God I hope Tokyo are working on something great for Wii U.

EAD 4, who also makes Pikmin. So one of the franchises had to be moved to a different group.

Can Neogaf ban gameindustry.biz if the WiiU CPU and GPU are more powerful than Xbox360 and PS3?

The shit storm their rumors have caused can't go unpunished...

New Mario Bros Mii + Pikmin 3 + Wii Sports + third party games we know about right now.

Lets pretend that was the launch.

Good, average, or bad launch?

Bad imo.

I expected NSMB Mii to be either a launch game or to be bundled free with the system so it's no suprise to me and im sure most of you.

Pikman isn't a big enough first party game to launch a new console to the 'hardcore' imho, sure they are great games and Pikman 3 is a welcome addition esp as part of a strong launch line up.

If they don't have a 3D Mario or a new Zelda game then only Smash Bros, Starfox, Metroid, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong or F-Zero are big enough exclusive IP's to launch the Wii U imo.

Nintendo said Wii U is for the casual AND the hardcore tho so they will see NSMB Mii as the casual game and Pikman for the hardcore.

If there is not one of the above big exclusive IP's available at least in the launch window (before 2013) then i won't be buying the console at launch only to complete Pikman 3 and then play third party games which i can already play on my 360.

CaLe

Naaaaah. The only way I can see the Wii U being that price range is if "TEH HARDWARE IZN'T POWURFUL." Nintendo's not going to sell the thing at a loss, nor is it going to pull a "five-hundred and ninety-nine dollars".

We shall see :)

My bet is on very affordable hardware, with expensive accessories.

Redford

aka Cabbie

I like this part; underdog, we're bringing it back etc. I've grown to like this thread after all. :D

Also, hi lurkers. We see you lurkin' there.

WUST_120416b.png

well, person

You're not helping my headache man, wait..didn't thread 4 go off like a bomb, or am I incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom