• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not helping my headache man, wait..didn't thread 4 go off like a bomb, or am I incorrect?

Thread 4 started really late in the day and only had time for a couple hundred posts before it hit midnight UTC. This is the equivalent to Media Create threads' "It was only out for two days that week!"

...hey, you stopped being a little girl! :O

Thread 4 started really late in the day and only had time for a couple hundred posts before it hit midnight UTC. This is the equivalent to Media Create threads' "It was only out for two days that week!"

...hey, you stopped being a little girl! :O

I won't argue with that.
Maybe in appearance, but not at heart.

AzaK

Price?

199$ - 250$

Release date?

Late October.

1st party launch titles?

Pikmin, Wave Race and a Retro Studios game.

Bullshit xbox360 multiplayer equivalent?

Yes.

E3 Surprise?

GTA V Launch Title, optimised for the Wii U.

$199?? You're smokin some real good weed there son.

AzaK

Yay, my killer app has been optimized for the NeoGAF architecture. Turns out when you customize your software specifically for a platform, performance dramatically increases!

It's the 17th now (UTC), so I figured that I should pop up the new and improved version showing the results for the last day, which was the highest performing day for a non-launch Wii U Speculation Thread ever! Thankfully, it bested the previous high, which I believe was the terrible one filled almost entirely with not actually funny animated pictures and fake news stories that got people
well, person
banned. So we can feel a bit more confident in ourselves as we push onward!

So, anyway, this is following a fairly Nintendo path. Thread 1 is like the Gameboy, which sold well but at a generally sub-gangbuster level for an eternity. Thread 3 is the GBA, which started out massively but had a short life. Thread 4 is the DS, which started out weaker than its predecessor but rapidly attained Beast Mode and never looked back! :D

NB: Thread 1 actually lasted 210 days, but the chart would look really scrunched if I included that whole time.

Also, don't read this if you have power over man and beast:
Guess which thread isn't locked yet?

Cool stuff. Now can you perform some analysis on the posts in the threads and heuristically calculate whether the thread as a whole considers Nintendo doomed, or Glorious.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
That's how I always felt about Pikmin. It has potential to be just as iconic as many of Nintendo's other franchises.

I agree, but they need to market it outside of video games with cartoons and such. I can't think of an "E" franchise in the last 10 years that has become a major player without the spinoff material. Can you?

CaLe

$199?? You're smokin some real good weed there son.

I personally think they can't afford to sell it at a profit, not anymore. People don't just want another console that outputs prettier graphics.

The market has changed, and whether we like it or not, the days of 350$+ consoles are gone.

Sell your hardware at a reasonable loss, and make up for it in accessories, games and micro-transactions.

You may not agree, and I respect that. It's my opinion, just sharing it :)

I dont see how it can be less than 399 given the screen and motions controllers.

That's the thing, it would only come with one controller. Make up for the loss by selling all additional accessories at a reasonable profit.

They can sell it at 399$ for hardcore gamers, hell I would buy it. But I don't think "casual" gamers would be willing to shell that amount of money anymore.

Again, just my opinion, and I respect your's guys.

I personally think they can't afford to sell it at a profit, not anymore. People don't just want another console that outputs prettier graphics.

The market has changed, and whether we like it or not, the days of 350$+ consoles are gone.

Sell your hardware at a reasonable loss, and make up for it in accessories, games and micro-transactions.

You may not agree, and I respect that. It's my opinion, just sharing it :)

This practice is not totally alien to Nintendo. The Gamecube sold at an initial loss, for instance.

Thing is, the current industry practice isn't just to sell at a loss and make it up with other items. It's to sell at a crippling loss after including accessories and games and whatnot. This is a road into which Nintendo cannot follow.

StevieP

Banned
Microsoft's next console is probably going to hit that $399, at least. Especially with Kinect and a tablet controller type thing in the box. Not to mention I'm pretty sure their hardware BoM has recently shot up.

CaLe

Perhaps CaLe meant per controller. ;)

Why not ? It could be marketed as a handheld, and sold for 99$ - 150$ a piece.

I know I would pay that amount to be able to play Mario or Zelda anywhere in the house, without having to play on my TV.

Anyways, I don't think my opinion is very popular, so I won't derail the thread.

I know I would pay that amount to be able to play Mario or Zelda anywhere in the house, without having to play on my TV.

Anyways, I don't think my opinion is very popular, so I won't derail the thread.

From what we know the wireless capability of the controller limits it well under "anywhere in the house."

No, no, unpopular opinions are totally okay to post!* Teasing is pretty universal here, it's our way of shaking hands.

I wish the reach of the protocol would enable playing anywhere in the house. The impression I'm getting so far is that it'll work anywhere in the living room but might start losing quality any farther than that. It's not like WiFi -- it's some sort of proprietary protocol specifically made to have super low latency. My bathroom is luckily right next to the living room, though, so I'll survive. :D

* If the opinion is something like "you guys should stop drinking kool-aid"**, then there's a fine line between expressing a different opinion and trolling, but you weren't doing anything like that.

** because I have a container of powdered kool-aid ready for launch day. Just sayin'…

No, no, unpopular opinions are totally okay to post! Teasing is pretty universal here, it's our way of shaking hands.

I wish the reach of the protocol would enable playing anywhere in the house. The impression I'm getting so far is that it'll work anywhere in the living room but might start losing quality any farther than that. It's not like WiFi -- it's some sort of proprietary protocol specifically made to have super low latency. My bathroom is luckily right next to the living room, though, so I'll survive. :D

Hope you're a fan of shitting with the door open.

^ beaten kinda :p
No, no, unpopular opinions are totally okay to post!* Teasing is pretty universal here, it's our way of shaking hands.

* If the opinion is something like "you guys should stop drinking kool-aid", then there's a fine line between expressing a different opinion and trolling, but you weren't doing anything like that.

But can you see the TV? If not can you say "renovations"!
Ha try to explain that on to the other half, "But honeyyy, cant see the Wi u-uuu"
:D

I think a lot of people are underestimating the appeal of a "clean" tv image (hud relegated to controller.)

All I know is that a lot of developers are going to be jerks and make it so the game doesn't pause when you go to your inventory screen. This will be particular irksome in survival horror games, especially if the front-facing camera on the DRC tries to detect if you're not looking at the TV!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I was reminded of the Capcom Five and how that initiative never resulted in much good (except for Resident Evil 4 of course) things, and came to wonder if something like that could be a good way (if carried out correctly that is) to start up the Wii U. Certainly will Nintendo have its own series such as Super Mario (as excessively reported today) and The Legend of Zelda, but third party titles are very important this time around as there really needs to be an incentive for people to jump shift and actually purchase not only first party titles but third party titles as well, and more frequently than on Wii. As mentioned before, not many people are going to buy Wii U for Assassin's Creed III or Batman: Arkham City. So some kind of project where one or more developers are given opportunities to create something truly special for the format, to induce hype, could be favorable. And Capcom seems kinda fond of Nintendo lately.

I also created an image of how something like this could look. Just for amusement.

capcomzbuhq.png

Bullza2o

Forty-nine pages... Jesus, I'm still at page one hundred and eighty-two of thread three. I just can't keep up with you people.

I applaud your dedication to read every post in the "Wii U Speculation" threads. I honestly don't know how you can keep your sanity searching through a bunch of meaningless posts for a few good info popping up here and there.

It's like searching for specific pebbles in the ocean.

BurntPork

Banned
Price?

199$ - 250$

Release date?

Late October.

1st party launch titles?

Pikmin, Wave Race and a Retro Studios game.

Bullshit xbox360 multiplayer equivalent?

Yes.

E3 Surprise?

GTA V Launch Title, optimised for the Wii U.

Not sure if serious.
Though I'm guessing you believe the weaker than 360 rumor if you think there's any chance of it being that cheap.

Rösti;37015795 said:
I was reminded of the Capcom Five and how that initiative never resulted in much good (except for Resident Evil 4 of course) things, and came to wonder if something like that could be a good way (if carried out correctly that is) to start up the Wii U. Certainly will Nintendo have its own series such as Super Mario (as excessively reported today) and The Legend of Zelda, but third party titles are very important this time around as there really needs to be an incentive for people to jump shift and actually purchase not only first party titles but third party titles as well, and more frequently than on Wii. As mentioned before, not many people are going to buy Wii U for Assassin's Creed III or Batman: Arkham City. So some kind of project where one or more developers are given opportunities to create something truly special for the format, to induce hype, could be favorable. And Capcom seems kinda fond of Nintendo lately.

I also created an image of how something like this could look. Just for amusement.

Don't do this, man.

The greatest coup ever would be if Nintendo somehow managed to convince take two and rockstar to get GTAV out this year on their console. I cant imagine how much money it would take if 50 mil just got Microsoft dlc early.

But man, the waves it would make would easily drive sales of that console well into next year.

Don't do this, man.

I dunno. I'm interested in the possibilities of Resident Evil: Compromise Chronicles.

edit: Capcom is trying. Their push on the 3DS shows that they'll make some effort if you go the other half of the way. Not many devs/pubs seem to be willing to do even that.

abasm

I remember the Capcom Five for Gamecube

One got cancelled, one sucked, and the other three got ported to PS2

The cancelled one (Dead Phoenix) might have actually been considered as a Kid Icarus title at some point in its development, making it a weird potential precursor to Uprising.

AzaK

The greatest coup ever would be if Nintendo somehow managed to convince take two and rockstar to get GTAV out this year on their console. I cant imagine how much money it would take if 50 mil just got Microsoft dlc early.

But man, the waves it would make would easily drive sales of that console well into next year.

WTF? It took 50 mill to get DLC early?

If that's the case, then no fucking way would Nintendo pay the who knows what for GTAV. They could make 5 fucking games for that amount.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I think a lot of people are underestimating the appeal of a "clean" tv image (hud relegated to controller.)

After the enormous and intrusive HUDs from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the Zelda games will definitely benefit from this feature, at least aesthetically.

The Metroid Prime games looked all kinds of gorgeous when you toned down the HUD. I can't even imagine how far my jaw will drop if Metroid Prime 4 (if there is one) starts out with us looking at a beautifully rendered alien environment through a clear HUDless vi..so...r...
faints.gif

HylianTom

Banned
Cool stuff. Now can you perform some analysis on the posts in the threads and heuristically calculate whether the thread as a whole considers Nintendo doomed, or Glorious.
Of those inside the thread: 90% glorious, 10% doomed
Of those outside the thread: 90% doomed, 10% glorious

I love when GAF is in E3 is near mode, and new generation is near mode (and especially when they intersect). So many stupid things said in so many threads it's truly fascinating and exciting on both a scientific level and a personal one.

HylianTom

Banned
After the enormous and intrusive HUDs from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the Zelda games will definitely benefit from this feature, at least aesthetically.

The Metroid Prime games looked all kinds of gorgeous when you toned down the HUD. I can't even imagine how far my jaw will drop if Metroid Prime 4 (if there is one) starts out with us looking at a beautifully rendered alien environment through a clear HUDless vi..so...r...

I replayed through Beyond Good & Evil about two weeks ago, and noticed just how cinematic and dramatic it looked when the HUD was absent. Any chance that Nintendo has to rid us of HUDs, they need to go for it.

Luigison

I love when GAF is in E3 is near mode, and new generation is near mode (and especially when they intersect). So many stupid things said in so many threads it's truly fascinating and exciting on both a scientific level and a personal one.
I'm trying to save my stupid for just before E3 and just after a couple glasses of wine. Last time it worked in giving me an uncanny prediction of the Wii.

BTW, I love the Quick Quote script. Thanks.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Microsoft's next console is probably going to hit that $399, at least. Especially with Kinect and a tablet controller type thing in the box. Not to mention I'm pretty sure their hardware BoM has recently shot up.
What makes you think they will have a tablet controller type thing in the box?

As long as it still has effects to make it look like you're actually behind a visor, then I would be fine with that. If it just looks like a camera is attached to an arm cannon, then no thanks.

What makes you think they will have a tablet controller type thing in the box?

Yeah, if Microsoft does that sort of device interaction, I have the feeling that it'd be with their line of phones, and that it would not be used as a primary gaming controller (except for, perhaps, games specific to that type of interaction, like how they handle Kinect).

AzaK

faints.gif

You know, I think the HUD in Metroid makes it what it is. It's so claustrophobic and makes me feel like I'm really in a suit. If it wasn't there I think it would cheapen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom