• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
There are plenty of other franchises Ninty can use visuals to impress. Mario is not going to be one of them...

Well Nintendo clearly made a distinction at their E3 2011 demonstration video. There are going to be games continuing the Wii experience like Wii U Sports, New Super Mario Bros., Wii U Play, and Wii U Fit. And then there will also be the big high budget games that resemble that Zelda Wii U demo.

StevieP

Banned
I think my disappointment comes solely from the fact that a new 3D Mario would have been a fantastic vehicle to show off the system's power and Nintendo's entrance into HD.

A 2D Mario just seems...meh.

Except to the market at large, who consider it a system seller and will buy the console in droves for it. Whereas orders of magnitude less of the market care about a 3D mario. In all the crazyness I've seen on GAF never did I think launching with a 2D Mario game would be considered "meh". I would expect the folks in this thread would *want* the console to be a successful, sold-out venture for months, building a userbase much faster than certainly niche stuff like Pikmin and F-Zero would.

I've read this entire page and have no clue what you people are talking about.

This thread's gone feral.

Edit: Well, the last page.

No, pretty much this entire thread. lol

You did. It's called reality.

Yes, the reality that NSMB's sold gangbusters (i.e. more than CoD) and was a fantastic experience whether it was with 1 or 4 players.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ibbFdcPHDPmbk5.gif

nickcv

guys do we know yet the exact day of nintendo E3 conference?

i need to know it as soon as possible to get the day off from work

Akai

Well Nintendo clearly made a distinction at their E3 2011 demonstration video. There are going to be games continuing the Wii experience like Wii U Sports, New Super Mario Bros., Wii U Play, and Wii U Fit. And then there will also be the big high budget games that resemble that Zelda Wii U demo.

What I meant was that Mario is already reaching a visual plateau. Art style could change, but not in the way I think a lot of people want it to. That is, we're not going to see Mario in photo-realistic environments. Ever. Period. If Mario is going to use the added power it'll be through environment size, and even then I can't imagine Ninty making worlds much bigger than those seen in Mario 64 and Sunshine...

BurntPork

Banned

How dumb. This likely means that it's the same as the 3DS game they're working on, which means that it might not be a great system seller for Wii U.

I said might not, meaning there're room for doubt, so please don't be an ass when you respond. I know that I might be wrong, but I'm entitled to my opinion that people aren't going to pay over $300 for a Wii U to play a 3DS game in HD.

Deguello

Yes, the reality that NSMB's sold gangbusters (i.e. more than CoD) and was a fantastic experience whether it was with 1 or 4 players.

Now, now. Don't feed him! Maybe he'll go away.

On a side note, why in the blue fuck do people think that not only will this Mario game be EXACTLY like the NSMB Mii demo from last year, but that it will also be EXACTLY the same game as a hypothetical 3DS Mario game at the same time? What means this madness?

I'm not worried so much about the graphics for NSMBMii. The Wii game looks pretty damn good in Dolphin and I'm sure Nintendo can exceed that on Wii U and even add some more little visual touches.

What I am worried about is that it won't offer anything more gameplay-wise than NSMBWii. That game introduced 4-player local co-op to Mario. What will this one introduce? Online co-op? I'll believe that when I see it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Donkey Kong Country Returns sold gangbusters. Should we expect more DKC?

New Super Mario Bros. is in another planet of sales. But to answer your question, DKC will absolutely return. But it does not have to be by Retro Studios. Could be another Nintendo developer.

Redford

aka Cabbie
What I meant was that Mario is already reaching a visual plateau. Art style could change, but not in the way I think a lot of people want it to. That is, we're not going to see Mario in photo-realistic environments. Ever. Period. If Mario is going to use the added power it'll be through environment size, and even then I can't imagine Ninty making worlds much bigger than those seen in Mario 64 and Sunshine...

Smash Bros level realism would be nicer than plasticworld.

Now, now. Don't feed him! Maybe he'll go away.

On a side note, why in the blue fuck do people think that not only will this Mario game be EXACTLY like the NSMB Mii demo from last year, but that it will also be EXACTLY the same game as a hypothetical 3DS Mario game at the same time? What means this madness?

Because NSMB Wii was EXACTLY* like NSMB DS.

(*in style only, which is what most are worried about)

How dumb. This likely means that it's the same as the 3DS game they're working on, which means that it might not be a great system seller for Wii U.

I said might not, meaning there're room for doubt, so please don't be an ass when you respond. I know that I might be wrong, but I'm entitled to my opinion that people aren't going to pay over $300 for a Wii U to play a 3DS game in HD.

I agree with this. NSMBWii lived and died by the casual install base. Besides rich families, the market for it won't be the same at all.

Javier

No way what you're saying is true.

Just no way.

So Sales = Quality? By that logic Justin Bieber is producing the best quality music right now, since his albums sells like gangbusters.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Pork, you're talking crazy talk, again.

StevieP

Banned
So Sales = Quality? By that logic Justin Bieber is producing the best quality music right now, since his albums sells like gangbusters.

There isn't a direct correlation between the two, but there is most certainly a direct correlation with the game continuing to sell way beyond the majority of titles this generation beyond the giant Mario on its boxart. People know what they're getting and want it. There is evidence to support this in the form of 2 Mario Galaxy titles.

With that said - to many people (young females especially) Justin Bieber *is* producing the best quality music right now.

guek

Banned

Walking around like your negative opinion is the only one that matters concerning a game widely praised by critics and gamers alike just makes you come across like a jackass.

No one cares if you didn't like NSMBWii, no one cares if you think all future games in the series will suck, and hey you can even talk about why you think those things if you'd like, but at least try to avoid acting like a petulant child.

Deguello

Pop Singers are always a popular comparison, but I'd wager the best-selling artist of all time would be Mozart, Beethoven, or Vivaldi. Their music is much more popular than most pop singers', as they'll even sample some of it to put a baseline on.

And as far as Beethoven is concerned, sales do equal quality. Unless you're about to shit on Beethoven as compared to your favorite Contemporary Rock/Rap Group that appeals directly to your Cohort Group Demographic?

Walking around like your negative opinion is the only one that matters concerning a game widely praised by critics and gamers alike just makes you come across like a jackass.

No one cares if you didn't like NSMBWii, no one cares if you think all future games in the serious will suck, and hey you can even talk about why you think those things if you'd like, but at least try to avoid acting like a petulant child.

I remember when someone criticized a game I liked I use to resort personal attacks, but then I hit puberty and realized getting angry over someone having an opinion over a video game is pretty immature.

That Justin Beiber analogy is so old, man.

lol, I was going to use mili vanilli, but I thought Beiber was more apt.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Mmmhmm-wait what?

Nintendo has never in their history made two identical games simultaneously debut on both their handheld and console platforms.

Hmmm. Well there is a dichotomy between the dual release of Twilight Princess and the "shovelware" releases of Animal Crossing ;)

But I think it is an interesting idea. Maybe they can differentiate the products like the dual Smash Bros. projects.

BurntPork

Banned
Mmmhmm-wait what?

Nintendo has never in their history made two identical games simultaneously debut on both their handheld and console platforms.

No way what you're saying is true.

Just no way.

Pork, you're talking crazy talk, again.

Maybe I went a bit too far by saying they'd be the same game, but it would be close enough that they'd steal sales from one-another, and most people will probably go for the cheaper route.

I agree with this. NSMBWii lived and died by the casual install base. Besides rich families, the market for it won't be the same at all.

That is not what I meant at all, and 3D Land proved this statement wrong.

guek

Banned
I remember when someone criticized a game I liked I use to resort personal attacks, but then I hit puberty and realized getting angry over someone having an opinion over a video game is pretty immature.

Ooh, your pwetty feeling get hurt so bad you have to force yourself to act all tough? Well wipe away those tears and grow the fuck up jr., yours isn't the only opinion that matters.

And for the record, I have almost zero interest in another NSMB title.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I don't get the fuss.
NSMBM will undoubtedly use the Wii U controller in some unique way and therefore offer a different experience. It's a launch title. Nintendo will want to show off what the controller can do.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Except to the market at large, who consider it a system seller and will buy the console in droves for it. Whereas orders of magnitude less of the market care about a 3D mario. In all the crazyness I've seen on GAF never did I think launching with a 2D Mario game would be considered "meh". I would expect the folks in this thread would *want* the console to be a successful, sold-out venture for months, building a userbase much faster than certainly niche stuff like Pikmin and F-Zero would.

Absolutely, and I've posted several posts in these threads saying the same thing. You're preaching to the choir.

I posted that as MY OWN opinion, not for the market at large. If I'm Nintendo, I'd release a 2D Mario game at launch. I've said it numerous times.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Retro is NOT working on DKCR2.

Disappointing, as the first game was fantastic.

I'm sure another team from Nintendo will do a great job with it, though.

Deguello

Ooh, your pwetty feeling get hurt so bad you have to force yourself to act all tough? Well wipe away those tears and grow the fuck up jr., yours isn't the only opinion that matters.

Hey be nice. He owned up to the fact that when he was younger, he was an insufferable boor on the internet.

Thankfully, he says he has grown up, and is thus no longer an insufferable boor on the internet.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Maybe I went a bit too far by saying they'd be the same game, but it would be close enough that they'd steal sales from one-another, and most people will probably go for the cheaper route.

That is not what I meant at all, and 3D Land proved this statement wrong.

Yeah, I realized that after rereading your post.

And no, 3D Land did not single-handedly inspire everyone to buy a 3DS; the game may have saved the $249 price point had it remained there until November, but I'd argue the price drop had more to do with it by far. It was a mutual success.

You probably wouldn't be talking like this if he wasn't a junior...

You know, reading so much messages like this, i'm starting to feel sad for TV's. More & More people neglect them for their smartphone & tablet screens, their laptop, and soon their gaming systems...

We'll be in a world where individual displays will kill our big black boxes in our living rooms, like it wasn't already enough that LCD technology forced them to make a drastic volume diet, and now this :'(

I have an old SD television (and a projector) for when people want to play videos and such to a group at my parties, but I haven't bothered with getting television service in the year and a month that I've had my house. It's just not that great a thing when you have other sources of media.

I do stream video from my computer to the TV when I exercise, though.

Beeeen out all day, what's new today? nothing? I am only aware of the other e3 dates being announced.

You heard the Square Enix character crossover with Nintendo thing, right? (Edit: that was last night, though)

Other than that, it's been slim pickins:

#4039, Nicalis - "Wii U is by far the most powerful console that Nintendo has ever made"
#4204, Miyamoto interview, "Nintendo will show a new Super Mario game for the Wii U in the E3"
#4275, Project Cars is planned to release on ... the Wii U
#4441, Trine 2 on Wii U a possibility
#4482, Nintendo confirms Wii U Mario game
#4659, Pikmin 3 confirmed by Nintendo Rep to be at E3

It seems to be a lot of derp and duh.

Oh, also, I made a NeoGAF Thread Analysis Script. :D
(it's already at v2.0, but I haven't published the charts from that -- charts are fun!)

Kacho

So, according to Gaf:

1. NSMB Wii was not a fantastic title
2. A NSMB Wii-U title at lauch is disappointing news
3. Pikmin should be more realistic (lol?)
4. Though the final lauch line-up hasn't been announced yet, people have already decided that it isn't good enough

Ya'll be crazy.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the only person coming across as mad here is you, paco.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, according to Gaf:

4. Though the final lauch line-up hasn't been announced yet, people have already decided that it isn't good enough

Ya'll be crazy.

Wut? Where?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Positive article from gamesindustry.biz
"Wii U: Nintendo will do just fine"

After reports that the Wii U might be less powerful than the current generation of consoles, and that its retail price might be $300 or more, GamesIndustry International decided to check in with analysts to see if this information has affected their outlook on the Wii U. One analyst, David Gibson of Macquarie Capital Securities, downgraded Nintendo's stock based on those reports and others. What do other analysts think?

Ted Pollak of Jon Peddie Research shrugs off the naysayers. "This is a recurring theme," Pollak said. "Technology changes and Nintendo looks like they are falling behind. Nintendo always claims their focus is on game play. However they actually have a smart technology strategy that most people don't detect."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-16-wii-u-what-analysts-think-now

So, according to Gaf:

Ya'll be crazy.

I've seen some rather agreeable people suggesting that it would be really fantastic if Pikmin had photorealistic backgrounds and Claymation-esque characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom