• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
By the way, was their any Wii U hardware news in the last 24 hours?

HylianTom

Banned
Sure they can agree to it. Doesn't mean they have to like it or ever let Nintendo live it down.

True, I guess.
If this is what happened, it sounds like they should have planned their title more carefully size-wise. They didn't do so, so it's a chance to complain about Nintendo.

But I wish they'd be more specific, hehe..

Bagu

True, I guess.
If this is what happened, it sounds like they should have planned their title more carefully size-wise. They didn't do so, so it's a chance to complain about Nintendo.

But I wish they'd be more specific, hehe..

Reggie farted in the elevator that one time.

HylianTom

Banned
I only played F-Zero on GC years ago in walmart for a few minutes. I've wanted to give it a go again, but I'm just expecting your average racing game or Mario Kart in space. Am I wrong?

If I could erase my brain's memories of GX and pretend that it's a new game release, I'd devote a week's worth of vacation time to the title. I love it that much.

One warning though: Hard and Very Hard on Story Mode are evil. They took me weeks, if not months, to clear.

Reggie farted in the elevator that one time.
We need a gif of Reggie farting around some developers..

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced creator. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

Too soon?

Bagu

"Wii U is kind of a special case," said the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced creator. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

Too soon?

Doesn't really apply here

HylianTom

Banned

Too soon?

Naw. If anything, I'm surprised that it took so long, hehe..

Redford

aka Cabbie

Too soon?

Is that shit going to be written on your gravestone? Mang... :p

Roo

Naaaaah. The only way I can see the Wii U being that price range is if "TEH HARDWARE IZN'T POWURFUL." Nintendo's not going to sell the thing at a loss, nor is it going to pull a "five-hundred and ninety-nine dollars".

Nintendo said they have considered that option if it benefits their interests in the long run...

Instro

I only played F-Zero on GC years ago in walmart for a few minutes. I've wanted to give it a go again, but I'm just expecting your average racing game or Mario Kart in space. Am I wrong?

Many consider GX to be one of the best racing games ever made, maybe even the best. Its an incredibly punishing game difficulty wise as well, certainly one of the toughest I have ever played particularly when you get to the higher levels of grand prix and story mode.

HylianTom

Banned
Many consider GX to be one of the best racing games ever made, maybe even the best. Its an incredibly punishing game difficulty wise as well, certainly one of the toughest I have ever played particularly when you get to the higher levels of grand prix and story mode.

But when I got good enough to win consistently on those high difficulty levels, I felt like I was on top of my game. Peak form.. a high point for my skills. This game can make you want to push yourself, and I loved it for that.

If I could erase my brain's memories of GX and pretend that it's a new game release, I'd devote a week's worth of vacation time to the title. I love it that much.

One warning though: Hard and Very Hard on Story Mode are evil. They took me weeks, if not months, to clear.

Thanks, guys. I'll definitely try to pick it up.

HylianTom

Banned
It's kinda annoying reading stuff like that tbh...
Nintendo obviously does not love lossing money like.. AT ALL
but they're not afraid of doing so if they're being pushed over the edge
3DS won't let me lie

I know.. I'm way too risk-adverse. I'd make a horrible investment advisor.:/

wsippel

Banned
So they sucked at developing for the Wii and blame it on Nintendo?
Well, WiiWare was shit. The filesize was the least of it´s problems. The utter lack of marketing, idiotic minimum payout rules and horrible update policy pissed off a lot of devs. eShop is a much better platform for developers, but some disgruntled developers won´t come back.

BurntPork

Banned
Well, WiiWare was shit. The filesize was the least of it´s problems. The utter lack of marketing, idiotic minimum payout rules and horrible update policy pissed off a lot of devs. eShop is a much better platform for developers, but some disgruntled developers won´t come back.

Yeah, but from the way he acted, it seems like the conversation went like this:

Dev: "Hey, 40MB isn't enough. Could you make us an exception?"

Nintendo: "No. Sorry."

Dev: "Please."

Nintendo: "We really can't. I's impossible."

Dev: "FUCK YOUR BULLSHIT! WE'LL NEVER WORK WITH YOU AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT!"

Or he put a game on WiiWare and it didn't sell enough for Nintendo to pay them.

AzaK

Yeah, but from the way he acted, it seems like the conversation went like this:

Dev: "Hey, 40MB isn't enough. Could you make us an exception?"

Nintendo: "No. Sorry."

Dev: "Please."

Nintendo: "We really can't. I's impossible."

Dev: "FUCK YOUR BULLSHIT! WE'LL NEVER WORK WITH YOU AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT!"

See, that's something worth being fucked off at if the threshold is high. It's like that on the App store too but the limit is US$150. I imagine Nintendo's limit is a lot higher :)

BurntPork

Banned
See, that's something worth being fucked off at if the threshold is high. It's like that on the App store too but the limit is US$150. I imagine Nintendo's limit is a lot higher :)

Yes, it was higher. However, it's completely gone now on all of their systems. This is supposed to be about making money, and losing money over something that isn't in place anymore is stupid and childish. They and others spoke against Nintendo for it, and Nintendo eventually gave in. That should be the end of it if we're all mature adults here.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yes, it was higher. However, it's completely gone now on all of their systems. This is supposed to be about making money, and losing money over something that isn't in place anymore is stupid and childish. They and others spoke against Nintendo for it, and Nintendo eventually gave in. That should be the end of it if we're all mature adults here.

I don't see anyone in here relinquishing their grudges against third-parties yet, either. Nintendo's checking boxes, but if it's not 110% better than the services of the competition come launch, all of this animosity will be justified.

As to whether Nintendo's learned, I think it's too early to say.

wsippel

Banned
Was. Nintendo removed the limit if I remember correctly.

PogiJones

Banned
I'll never go to H&R Block for taxes again because of the terrible experience we had there, even though it's possible that I could have a good experience in the future.

All we know is what we experience, and having a horrible experience with a company is a legit reason to swear off working with them again.

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but these guys have every right to swear Nintendo off for feeling screwed over, and that doesn't make them bad devs.

donny2112

Probably both. Maybe worked extra to get the filesize limit down, didn't sell 5000 copies, so got nothing back for the extra work put in. If you really want Baldur's Gate: Enhanced on Wii U, I guess go and buy MDK2 on WiiWare and gift it to your friends to try to push them over the limit?

To put it in perspective, the original MDK2 on DC sold ~50K in the U.S. Therefore, they'd need a full 10% of the original sales in digital form to get a payout from Nintendo.

BurntPork

Banned
I don't see anyone in here relinquishing their grudges against third-parties, either. Nintendo's checking boxes, but if it's not 110% better than the services of the competition come launch, all of this animosity will be justified.

As to whether Nintendo's learned, I think it's too early to say.

First of all, why does it have to be better than the competition?

Second, eShop has gotten more than enough attention and praise by this point to safely say that it's a great service from a developer's point of view.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Look guys, I got a sneak peak at the updated Mario game!
UjDyJ.jpg

Mods this is fake. Please don't ban me D:

Redford

aka Cabbie
First of all, why does it have to be better than the competition?

Second, eShop has gotten more than enough attention and praise by this point to safely say that it's a great service from a developer's point of view.

I love how this notion that Nintendo is apparently the leader for the industry exists, but as soon as actual demands are placed upon it that require financial investment, we cop out with "why does it have to be better?" Pardon my language, but what kind of fucking question is that to ask in a free market? At least if we're talking about why devs shouldn't be pissed off, which they have a right to.

And your second point is a weak argument at best, totally irrelevant at worst: the services cater to completely different tiers of developers. 3DS eShop is peanuts compared to what the Wii U needs. The best part is, all you have to do is throw money at these problems, and poof - they will go away.

Look guys, I got a sneak peak at the updated Mario game!

Mods this is fake. Please don't ban me D:

It was horrifying enough without strangeReggie.

Probably both. Maybe worked extra to get the filesize limit down, didn't sell 5000 copies, so got nothing back for the extra work put in. If you really want Baldur's Gate: Enhanced on Wii U, I guess go and buy MDK2 on WiiWare and gift it to your friends to try to push them over the limit?

To put it in perspective, the original MDK2 on DC sold ~50K in the U.S. Therefore, they'd need a full 10% of the original sales in digital form to get a payout from Nintendo.

IMO they made a poor business decision and now its Nintendo's fault.

I get the impression most third parties want development and marketing dollars from Nintendo and Nintendo's stance is (justifiably) nu-uh, Your an independant studio man the fuck up and handle yo shit. If not what the fuck are you doing making games in the first place.

I could go on bit you get the gist of what im saying....

HylianTom

Banned
IMO they made a poor business decision and now its Nintendo's fault.

I get the impression most third parties want development and marketing dollars from Nintendo and Nintendo's stance is (justifiably) nu-uh, Your an independant studio man the fuck up and handle yo shit. If not what the fuck are you doing making games in the first place.

I could go on bit you get the gist of what im saying....

Nintendo sinned towards third parties a long, long time ago.. and they have to pay for those sins for a long, long time.

How long? I dunno.

Nintendo sinned towards third parties a long, long time ago.. and they have to pay for those sins for a long, long time.

How long? I dunno.

In this particular case, they were probably a little more difficult with the third party in question than they should have been. Their policies with WiiWare were very likely draconian. They just didn't do it right, and it resulted in anger. This is kind of understandable.

Nintendo was in total asshole mode 20 years ago*. Now they are genuinely trying to help third parties, but there's a learning curve and some blood gets spilled. If only they had some sort of person of presidential stature who could shrug it off in some sort of legendary way.

*NB: I loved every minute of it, and I probably still would have loved them if I knew about their pretty hideous lock-in policies with third party publishers

HylianTom

Banned
To be fair, they sinned towards third parties for a long time, as well.

True. And, admittedly, they continue to sin in some ways.

In this particular case, they were probably a little more difficult with the third party in question than they should have been. Their policies with WiiWare were very likely draconian. They just didn't do it right, and it resulted in anger. This is kind of understandable.

Nintendo was in total asshole mode 20 years ago*. Now they are genuinely trying to help third parties, but there's a learning curve and some blood gets spilled. If only they had some sort of person of presidential stature who could shrug it off in some sort of legendary way.

Yup. I suspect that there are some who will never forgive them. The well is poisoned.

BurntPork

Banned
I love how this notion that Nintendo is apparently the leader for the industry but as soon as actual demands are placed upon it that require financial investment, we cop out with "why does it have to be better?" Pardon my language, but what kind of fucking question is that to ask in a free market? At least if we're talking about why devs shouldn't be pissed off, which they have a right to.

And your second point is a weak argument at best, totally irrelevant at worst: the services cater to completely different tiers of developers. 3DS eShop is peanuts compared to what the Wii U needs. The best part is, all you have to do is throw money at these problems, and poof - they will go away.

No, you misunderstood me. If you had said that it has to be as good, then yeah, that's fine. However, saying that it has to be better than services these devs already support for it to be acceptable should mean that you're saying that the competitions' services aren't good enough, what obviously isn't the case because they're supported. Why should Nintendo be held to a much higher standard while everyone else is fine, especially when Nintendo has compete with fucking Microsoft? it's like saying that all of Microsoft's games are failures if they don't sell as much as NSMBWii.

My argument is weak, and you proved it with extremely vague counterpoints based on info you don't have any access to. Okay, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom