• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park new single "Burn it Down"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Niiiiiiiice. Hype at sufficient levels.

I can jam to this.

edit: That is a really fucking sweet cover. LP has always done super cool art stuff.

Most probably.

ALBUM COVER IS AWESOME

041512-130026_LIVINGTHINGS.jpg

So much better looking than ATS :lol

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Hybrid Theory and Meteora were fun!

Nailed it. Oh, and Reanimation was pretty entertaining as well, I guess.

They dropped the ball so immensely hard afterwards, it's insane. As a nu-metal act, they were undefeatable: they were catchy, hard-hitting, and actually pretty damn original (especially compared to their peers). This poppy crap they've been spouting for three albums isn't even worth to stand in the shadow of their first two efforts.

RIP Linkin Park.

dvdjamm

They dropped the ball so immensely hard afterwards, it's insane. As a nu-metal act, they were undefeatable: they were catchy, hard-hitting, and actually pretty damn original (especially compared to their peers). This poppy crap they've been spouting for three albums isn't even worth to stand in the shadow of their first two efforts.

RIP Linkin Park.

Or at least put out another Fort Minor album.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Listened to it, was very predictable. Guessed most of the tones before I even heard them. Bring back meteora plz.

Listened to it, was very predictable. Guessed most of the tones before I even heard them. Bring back meteora plz.

I agree that the song is predictable, but I dont think its bad. Also, I think the album cover is metaphor for breaking out of a shell, which is what they seem to be attempting with this album. They keep trying new things rather than making an easy buck, and I respect that.

Plus ATS is a fun album, so if this is similar Im happy.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Don't really like it.

Although I don't think I've liked most of the first singles.

Sai-kun

Banned
Don't really like it.

Although I don't think I've liked most of the first singles.

I agree. I don't think their lead singles have always been the best track. Far from it, actually. Somewhere I Belong, What I've Done, and The Catalyst have all been good tracks, but not even close to being the best tracks on their respective albums.

Edit: Er, to clarify, I actually do like the song, but was more just expanding on the second thought, that their lead singles haven't been the strongest songs on the album.

The single sounds like this album's version of "Burning In The Skies". I'm ok with this single. It's better than what I thought it would be. I like those bars before the chorus. They really change up the flow of the tune. The intro is really nice, too. Still digging the electronic work Joe Hahn does.

Still wondering what the rest of the album will sound like. I'm glad they didn't go back to "HEAVY GUITARS!!!" like the majority of fans wanted them to.

exarkun

sounds more like the first two albums than the last few. Which is a good thing.

dunno if I like it, but at least its palatable. If they make a CD full of this, they could really get radio play since all thats on pop radio now is synth and electronica.

real vacuum on the radio of...whatever they classify this now

What is with everyone's love of Meteroa? It's almost a complete rehash of Hybrid Theory.

Love Hybrid Theory and A Thousand Suns even though they're very different.

This song sounds a little generic and radio friendly. However I've usually found that their first single off their new albums are usually my least favourite singles on almost every album release.

They are amazing live too.

What is with everyone's love of Meteroa? It's almost a complete rehash of Hybrid Theory.

I like to call it the AC/DC effect. People remember AC/DC for a few songs with decent riffs, choruses, and verses. All of these memorable parts of the music are very similar to each other. It's the same power chords, riff structure, and vocal patterns over and over again. Hybrid Theory sort of suffered from this as well but no one cared since it was their first album. People got something very similar with Meteora and the fans were happy.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i quite like this song, its not bad.

i like all the transformers songs, though too. i think those are their better songs. there was also that one song they made an animated music video to that was pretty awesome.

big_z

sounds more like the first two albums than the last few. Which is a good thing.

Nope it's In line with the grandma friendly stuff they've been doing lately. Its not aggressive or high energy like the old stuff and Sure mike raps a bit which is nice but there's no instruments to be found, it's all drum machine and samples. I don't understand why they use samples when the drum and guitars could be played by real instruments running through various equipment to get the same sound plus the added dynamic of real equipment.

Sai-kun

Banned
Nice new avvy, Hydro :)

Here's the tracklist:

LIVING THINGS:

1. LOST IN THE ECHO
2. IN MY REMAINS
3. BURN IT DOWN
4. LIES GREED MISERY
5. I'LL BE GONE
6. CASTLE OF GLASS
7. VICTIMIZED
8. ROADS UNTRAVELED
9. SKIN TO BONE
10. UNTIL IT BREAKS
11. TINFOIL
12. POWERLESS

Goron2000

best junior ever

RIP Linkin Park.

I like it and i love their old stuff but as a fan i know that Nu-metal doesn't sell like it used to, all bands have to evolve to stay relevant.

Edit: Wretches and kings is so fucking great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-qb98G5tvk&feature=related

Coins

Banned
LP is a guilty pleasure band, usually. However, I found no pleasure at all in this new single. It sounds like a bad 80s song to me.

Well, thanks for making me dig up Reanimation again. Had kind of forgotten how awesomely noisy it was.

Such a fun CD, I still like it, I used to love the thing. I need to throw it on my phone to listen to some time.

Anyways, I still enjoy this song, but I also think the chorus is fairly predictable and plain, and musically could have used a little more kick.

Sh1ner

Hybrid Theory was my first albums into music when I was younger along with Incubus. Before I didn't really have an interest, I was a sheltered kid. Can't really listen to it any more though as I have repetition fatigue.

Reanimation is excellent. Especially in high quality + decent headphones once you remove the stupid voice message tracks. Listening to it starting yesterday. Amazing stuff.

Meteora is a great album, not as good as the others but I hold it very high in regard.

A Thousand Suns, I couldn't get into it. I understand they wanted to try something different, I appreciate the attempt as another album in the same vein as Meteora and Hybrid Theory wouldn't have done anything for me I think as it would have been too much of the same stuff.

Burn it Down is a good single in my opinion. I don't think I can listen to it as much as any of LPs previous albums, we shall see though once the new album is out.

Also its worth listening to Mike Shinoda's other track for the raid redemption movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNTpEkWuyx8

I like it = O

oh and screw the hipsters who loved Hybrid Theory when it came out and now are turning around saying its shit cause "they listened to it too many times OR it went mainstream" May not be occurring in this thread as I haven't checked but I have heard a lot of LP bashing in real life from peeps that use to love it.

oh and screw the hipsters who loved Hybrid Theory when it came out and now are turning around saying its shit cause "they listened to it too many times OR it went mainstream" May not be occurring in this thread as I haven't checked but I have heard a lot of LP bashing in real life from peeps that use to love it.

People can't accept that their tastes have changed.

I proudly admit that I jammed to Linkin Park's first three albums. My tastes have changed over time and I just can't listen to much of the old stuff.

Darkatomz

So anyone going any of the shows? I'll either be at the Boston or Dallas one, depending on when I start work. Oh, and since I'm LPU and I renewed my membership early, I'll be attending a Meet/Greet, my second one!

08/11 Bristow, VA, Jiffy Lube Live (2011 make-up) (no Incubus)
08/12 Uncasville, CT, Mohegan Sun Arena (2011 make-up) (no Incubus)
08/14 Mansfield, MA, Comcast Center
08/17 Camden, NJ, Susquehanna Bank Center
08/19 Alpharetta, GA, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
08/21 Auburn Hills, MI, The Palace at Auburn Hills
08/22 Cincinnati, OH, Riverbend Music Center (2011 make-up)
08/24 Tinley Park, IL, First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
08/25 Noblesville, IN, Klipsch Music Center
08/27 Dallas, TX, Gexa Energy Pavilion
08/28 Woodlands, TX, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
08/30 Englewood, CO, Comfort Dental Amphitheatre
09/01 Calgary, AB, Fort Calgary - X-FEST
09/02 Edmonton, AB, Edmonton EXPO Center - SONiC BOOM
09/04 Vancouver, BC, Rogers Arena (not a Honda Civic Tour show, but Incubus and MUTEMATH will be playing)
09/05 Tacoma, WA, Tacoma Dome
09/07 Mountain View, CA, Shoreline Amphitheatre
09/10 Chula Vista, CA, Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre

Every time they release a new song, they somehow get worse.

Shinoda's verse is the lamest excuse for rap I've ever heard, and that chorus sounds like every single chorus that they've written starting with Minutes to Midnight.

I can't believe this used to be my favorite band.

EDIT: lol at those lyrics. If you're going to try to write angsty lyrics, at least TRY to make them sound genuine.

While I really like linkin park's music, it has become fairly repetitive. I could guess the progression of the song before the lyrics even started. Its feeling less and less inspired with each song I hear. Still, at least its repetition of alright music :p

Jeez, this group dropped the guitars almost completely from their songs. Fucking ridiculous. Their guitar player has no fucking shame to put his name to crap like this after showing he can write semi-decent riffs earlier in their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom