• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who gives a fuck if the res and frame rate are locked and you need a controller to play it? As long as there is little to no slow down and its easy to run the game I'm ok with things being locked.
Are you serious? Some people don't want their games to look and run like crap if they don't have to. If you're blind I guess you won't notice the difference.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who gives a fuck if the res and frame rate are locked and you need a controller to play it? As long as there is little to no slow down and its easy to run the game I'm ok with things being locked.
Who gives a shit about a resolution of a game being locked, really? Not everyone shares the same monitor and resolution, buddy.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I was almost certain this post was starting out as sarcasm. But then you did the second sentence =(

Who gives a shit about a resolution of a game being locked, really? Not everyone shares the same monitor and resolution, buddy.

It's not about sharing the same resolution. My old netbook from 3 years ago has a higher resolution than 720p.

Sentenza

No I'm simply pointing out that the imminent release-date pretty much guaranteed that this would be a quick and dirty port.
Locked framerate isn't even what I would call quick and dirty port, it's deliberate sabotage.

And locked resolution is too surreal to even consider it could actually happen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's not about sharing the same resolution. My old netbook from 3 years ago has a higher resolution than 720p.
This is pretty much what I was trying to say.

charsace

Are you serious? Some people don't want their games to look and run like crap if they don't have to. If you're blind I guess you won't notice the difference.

Would you prefer the PC not having Dark Souls at all? And the PC version will have new content too. Cry me a river. The game with its great gameplay is coming to PC. This is the first time these guys are working with PC. Its a learning experience for From. At least we're getting a game out of it and maybe now they will make their games with PC in mind. I would rather they bring over the game in good working condition than them trying to do more than they are currently capable of on PC and giving us a broken, buggy ass version of the game.

Its not always easy to add different rendering resolutions to a game. If things were hardcoded around the the original resolution and 720p in the code, then adding support for 1080p would require changing a lot of code. They would probably have to go through every class in their code and change everything to get the game working with different resolutions. You wouldn't be seeing Dark Souls PC for a while or maybe even wouldn't be getting it on PC.

morningbus

Basically, if you bought your monitor within the last 10 years, Dark Souls forcing a resolution of 720p affects you. It's insane to suggest it isn't a problem.

Would you prefer the PC not having Dark Souls at all? And the PC version will have new content too. Cry me a river. The game with its great gameplay is coming to PC. This is the first time these guys are working with PC. Its a learning experience for From. At least we're getting a game out of it and maybe now they will make their games with PC in mind. I would rather they bring over the game in good working condition than them trying to do more than they are currently capable of on PC and giving us a broken, buggy ass version of the game.
You make it sound as if an unlocked framerate and support for multiple resolutions is something rare and difficult to do.

Yoshichan

Are you implying that unlocked framerate and the option to choose resolution is a hard thing to do?
Would you prefer the PC not having Dark Souls at all?
I've already gone through this several times... my answer is yes. I would not prefer a DkS for PC at all. Also, I wouldn't have wanted this announcement to be as hyped as it was. People wanted this PC-port because they wanted a better experience than what they got on console. At this point, you barely get the better out of playing the PC-version.

Kinda, yeah. I get that there are folks who only game on PC and I'm happy they get the chance to play it. But I have a Playstation 3 and the only reason I want this on my PC is to max the shit out of it. A lot of what I heard about the ps3 version is how bad the framerate gets... my pc will kill it and that's what i want.

I loved Demon's Souls and the only reason I haven't already played Dark Souls was just due to timing. I sort of missed the window, and now I'm looking forward to the PC version. But if it's a crippled port, I will not mind skipping the game entirely.

Minsc

Gold Member

Calm down a bit please, and realize what you're saying. Of course there are certain expectations that go along with releasing a game on a platform, even if you are just porting an existing game to that platform. Do you have to follow them? No, but not doing so will result in some (or many) people disappointed and possibly turn them away from buying the game.

Just because they don't do a lot of PC ports doesn't mean they don't have to adhere to expectations or standards if you will.

charsace

You make it sound as if an unlocked framerate and support for multiple resolutions is something rare and difficult to do.

Depending on how the game is made it could be really hard to do. If AI steps and physics steps are locked into the 30fps then all of that would have to be rewritten. Which is a bitch to do. Or maybe the AI and physics don't update with the drawing of the game, but is still coded around 30fps and not how fast the computer that's running the game can make the Update calls. Still would be a bitch to change.

The bottom line is that they probably didn't program Dark Souls to be flexible. So trying to make the game flexible on PC would cause a lot of problems for From and would probably end up breaking the game in unknown ways.

Durante

Have people considered that the quality of the port is going to be largely down to the amount of time and money FROM have been given by Namco-Bandai to deliver it with?

You can wail and gnash your teeth all you want, but it isn't giving FROM more time and money to do more than they are planning on doing, and the simple truth is Dark Souls is a pretty big game, so just porting it straight and pushing it through QA represents a fair chunk of effort.
This is an acceptable argument for why they choose to use GFWL, since reworking the entire net code is presumably a large undertaking. However, it's no an excuse for locking the framerate or resolution. Making these things configurable takes maybe 2 days of work on a modern engine (such as the one they are using). There really wouldn't be an excuse.

But I'm still very hopeful that both of these will not be the case.

I loved Demon's Souls and the only reason I haven't already played Dark Souls was just due to timing. I sort of missed the window, and now I'm looking forward to the PC version. But if it's a crippled port, I will not mind skipping the game entirely.
This is exactly the situation I am in. If I buy this game at all, it will be on PC.

Massa

It's crazy people are assuming the resolution will be locked. I think what's most likely from that answer is that the game will use the same assets as the console version.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TucoBenedictoPacifico said:
Locked framerate isn't even what I would call quick and dirty port, it's deliberate sabotage.

And locked resolution is too surreal to even consider it could actually happen.

They might be concerned about how the massive variance in performance possible on PC is going to impact multi-player balance. Lets be honest, variable performance across clients is not something they'll have had to contend with up to now.

Resolution shouldn't be an issue though; switching from 16:9 to 16:10 either. Worst case you're just looking at layout issues on the GUI -which thinking about it, may be slightly problematic due to the way it overlays the running game.

Their biggest worry I can see is the multiplayer/online stuff, which is a system built from the ground up for consoles.

Durante

Their biggest worry I can see is the multiplayer/online stuff, which is a system built from the ground up for consoles.
Which is why it's understandable that they're using GFWL for that, which seems like a relabeled Xbox API. But there's no such excuse for resolution and framerate.

RedSwirl

Depending on how the game is made it could be really hard to do. If AI steps and physics steps are locked into the 30fps then all of that would have to be rewritten. Which is a bitch to do. Or maybe the AI and physics don't update with the drawing of the game, but is still coded around 30fps and not how fast the computer that's running the game can make the Update calls. Still would be a bitch to change.

The bottom line is that they probably didn't program Dark Souls to be flexible. So trying to make the game flexible on PC would cause a lot of problems for From and would probably end up breaking the game in unknown ways.

If this locked resolution shit is true (and I still don't see how it could be), imagine if The Last Story or some other popular Wii game got ported to the Xbox 360, but you could only play it in 480p? That's basically the equivalent to what a locked 720p resolution would mean for PC gamers.

Well, isn't it just great that From will be getting paid via more sales for doing these "bitch to change" things? I know, it's fantastic how the world tends to work out!

Calm down a bit please, and realize what you're saying. Of course there are certain expectations that go along with releasing a game on a platform, even if you are just porting an existing game to that platform. Do you have to follow them? No, but not doing so will result in some (or many) people disappointed and possibly turn them away from buying the game.

Just because they don't do a lot of PC ports doesn't mean they don't have to adhere to expectations or standards if you will.

I'm absolutely perplexed by comments like his though... All the games with poor performance on consoles still get bashed, how many people say "You should be thanking god you can even play the game!", why is it different for PC? Should all ports be terrible messes because you should be thankful you get anything? Does this apply to games that aren't ports? I mean you still wouldn't be able to play it if they didn't release it at all right so terrible framerate or low res textures or other problems should be ignored in every game because it's your only chance to play it right? No one would ever argue that and if you did you'd be laughed out of the place so why the disconnect here?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Well, isn't it just great that From will be getting paid via more sales for doing these "bitch to change" things? I know, it's fantastic how the world tends to work out!

That's why you project sales and see how much you'll profit from porting the game.

And as a standard, console to PC ports are ranked quite low on the profit margin. That's why they want to do this on the cheap.

Now I'll wait for somebody to quote that LA Noire port costs were recouped in 48 hours. While that's true, it was still a "shot in the dark", from the perspective of the publishers. A small amount of profit is not something that investors are looking for.

That's why you project sales and see how much you'll profit from porting the game.

And as a standard, console to PC ports are ranked quite low on the profit margin. That's why they want to do this on the cheap.

Now I'll wait for somebody to quote that LA Noire port costs were recouped in 48 hours. While that's true, it was still a "shot in the dark", from the perspective of the publishers. A small amount of profit is not something that investors are looking for.

Do you have any sources for what you're claiming? Because you make it sound like ever game that isn't a PC exclusive bombs on PC...

charsace

Yeah. You have no idea of what are you talking about, right?
I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything, but when the logic in the game is going to be updated you need some sort of system to control the update call for the logic.
If this locked resolution shit is true (and I still don't see how it could be), imagine if The Last Story or some other popular Wii game got ported to the Xbox 360, but you could only play it in 480p? That's basically the equivalent to what a locked 720p resolution would mean for PC gamers.

Its not really that hard to understand guys. This port is coming quickly and they are adding new content to it. If they can't make the game be more flexible for the PC in regards to having different internal rendering resolutions its because the port has a small window of time to be worked on and a lot of the code behind the game probably isn't flexible.

Yuterald

Man, I don't get why the PC crowd is entitled to such a "superior" version. From Software has always been console centric. I've been playing their games since the early King's Field days so this seems like a small slap in the face, even if it's not really FROMs decision. I mean, it's great that more people will get the chance to play the game, but the fact that there has been no mention of DLC for the consoles is a bit disappointing. Fucking Namco Bandai!

I wonder if things would have been different if Atlus were able to publish Dark Souls. Oh well. =/

Durante

Its not really that hard to understand guys. This port is coming quickly and they are adding new content to it. If they can't make the game be more flexible for the PC in regards to having different internal rendering resolutions its because the port has a small window of time to be worked on and a lot of the code behind the game probably isn't flexible.
Well, I am quite familiar with rendering technology, and I cannot for the life of me imagine how an engine can be so fucked up beyond recognition that it would take more than a day or so to make the rendering resolution configurable on PC. Maybe 3 days to make the UI look good and add an in-game option. (Which is why it will happen)

When will you ever learn and stop this 50 posts per page nonsense.
Then the PC screenshot thread kills my laptop :(

Reallink

Man oh man, if this winds up being hard locked at 1024x720 native and 30fps it deserves to go down in history as the most catastrophic and embarrassing failure of the past 15-20 years. Every party involved should be ashamed for the rest of their lives.

Man, I don't get why the PC crowd is entitled to such a "superior" version. From Software has always been console centric. I've been playing their games since the early King's Field days so this seems like a small slap in the face, even if it's not really FROMs decision. I mean, it's great that more people will get the chance to play the game, but the fact that there has been no mention of DLC for the consoles is a bit disappointing. Fucking Namco Bandai!

I wonder if things would have been different if Atlus were able to publish Dark Souls. Oh well. =/

It's not a question of entitlement at this point, it's a question of effort and respect for the series. I'm trying to stay positive about it, but I'd like to see them put some care into this port like they do for the console versions. Especially when adding new content, that should be showcased in the best way.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do you have any sources for what you're claiming? Because you make it sound like ever game that isn't a PC exclusive bombs on PC...

I'm not saying that's true, I'm saying that's what publishers think it happens, because they're idiots and think a game pirated is a sale lost.

They don't care that we want a game on PC. Even if they break even porting the game and all of us getting it, that's not a good investment.

I'll use a very dumbed down argument: Let's say they spend 100000 dollars to port the game to PC. They would have to sell 1666 copies of it, at 60, to recoup that costs. Let's say they sell 2000 copies of it. Let's say a Torrent of it gets 5000 downloads.

They'll see those 5000 downloads as "lost sales", because the PC market doesn't have reliable piracy countermeasures, blablabla.

I'm pretty sure any investor would rather use those 100000 dollars to create/fund a new console game, that has a installed base of 10 million possible consumers and anti-piracy measures in place.

The thing is, they have a solid number of people that would theoretically buy the game, from the petition. If I were a investor, I would use that number as a base for copies sold, and plan the porting costs accordingly. (obviously I would project some sales ahead, but that petition is, for better or for worse, a possible stream revenue)

But, again, as you said, I have no source or investor background. I'm just weighing in my opinion.

I also think it's impossible the game will have a locked resolution. I actually think it would be harder to code that in than to just create a half-assed screen resolution selection screen.

LA Noire didn't deserve to make back its money that fast it was a horrible port. I'm going throw out Alan Wake as probably the best console to PC port in recent memory. It got a ton of bells and whistles added to it that it didn't have before and it still managed to recoup its cost in 48hours at a $30 price tag. Just because your margins aren't big doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into it. Regardless they should be treating this game like a new IP on the PC and any cost you don't make back are considered brand building. That's how almost every new AAA IP is treated.

Contradicting yourself much?

I accept GFWL, Steam and Origin as a 3-way street. Competition is good. GFWL can be a lot more tolerable, but I wish it would just be less intrusive, and annoying.

How good will this game be? Devil May Cry 4 ran insanely well on PC.

What about Red Dead Redemption???

Sentenza

I'm not saying that's true, I'm saying that's what publishers think it happens, because they're idiots and think a game pirated is a sale lost.

They don't care that we want a game on PC. Even if they break even porting the game and all of us getting it, that's not a good investment.

I'll use a very dumbed down argument: Let's say they spend 100000 dollars to port the game to PC. They would have to sell 1666 copies of it, at 60, to recoup that costs. Let's say they sell 2000 copies of it. Let's say a Torrent of it gets 5000 downloads.

They'll see those 5000 downloads as "lost sales", because the PC market doesn't have reliable piracy countermeasures, blablabla.

I'm pretty sure any investor would rather use those 100000 dollars to create/fund a new console game, that has a installed base of 10 million possible consumers and anti-piracy measures in place.

The thing is, they have a solid number of people that would theoretically buy the game, from the petition. If I were a investor, I would use that number as a base for copies sold, and plan the porting costs accordingly.

But, again, as you said, I have no source or investor background. I'm just weighing in my opinion.

I also think it's impossible the game will have a locked resolution. I actually think it would be harder to code that in than to just create a half-assed screen resolution selection screen.
Well, let me point the issue I have with this way of reasoning: I think this game could have the potential to be a huge success on PC.
It has everything a game needs to appeal to the PC fanbase. I will not dare to say it could be the new Skyrim, but it could be the new The Witcher.
With a proper port, a reasonable price (let's say 39 dollars at launch) and Steamworks support I think it could easily aim for the half million in the first month, and with some luck then go into the million range.

But we will never test this theory, cause an atrocious bad port with GFWL will struggle to reach 200,000 copies, if its bad reputation won't kill sales even under that line.
And I'm annoyed by it not just cause it will not be the amazing thing I was craving to play, but also cause it will undermine any chance to see its sequels on PC.

morningbus

Man, I don't get why the PC crowd is entitled to such a "superior" version.

At this point it isn't even superiority "entitlement." It's giving users the basic features of the platform they play on.

It's like if you bought a PS3 game that was 240p. "Oh, but the NES had that resolution, don't act so entitled!"

Yoshichan

The worst part about this is that I've told my friend, who just didn't have access to DkS since the launch of the game, that it'll be better if he waited for PC...

I don't know when I'm supposed to tell him that the PC-version is a turd :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The worst part about this is that I've told my friend, who just didn't have access to DkS since the launch of the game, that it'll be better if he waited for PC...

You tell him to wait until the game is out and then make a decision later.

Raide

You tell him to wait until the game is out and then make a decision later.

This. Not footage is out, now PC shots, no nothing! If the port does suck, then fair enough but most here are just hating on GFWL without actually playing the game yet.

ArjanN

Probably when/if you find actually find out if the PC is bad, and not now when you don't actually know yet.

And even a bad PC port generally isn't actually worse than the console version of a game.

Derrick01

Banned

Why are you entitled to getting the extra content just because they're a console centric dev?

You make a game for PC then you do it the right way and give us the same basic features we've gotten for decades or don't waste your time.

PC gamers have been getting superior versions since the dawn of time, I don't see how this is something new.

Sullichin

Eh I play the PS3 version on a 1080p computer monitor and it looks fine, honestly I would be fine with 720p as long as the frame rate was consistent. But i still think the resolution being locked is highly unlikely.

some of you sound like children that need to be struck...

"wahhhh I want Dark Souls on PC wahhh *slams fists* wahhh"

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die announced!

"Victory!"

few days later

"wahhhh they're not making the game exactly as I would have hoped wahhh how can they do this to me?!"

I'm just happy I'll finally be able to play / have the game on my PC :D

btw: As someone previously said, if you want Namco to take notice, or possibly change something... better start spamming their forums.

some of you sound like children that need to be struck...

"wahhhh I want Dark Souls on PC wahhh *slams fists* wahhh"

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die announced!

"Victory!"

few days later

"wahhhh they're not making the game exactly as I would have hoped wahhh how can they do this to me?!"

I'm just happy I'll finally be able to play / have the game on my PC :D

btw: As someone previously said, if you want Namco to take notice, or possibly change something... better start spamming their forums.

I don't recall much port begging/whining for the game at all actually; once the petition came around people signed it, but didn't think much of it. Put the time and energy it making a great product or you don't get my money, I don't see the issue with that. Respect your fucking product.

To be fair, we don't know the facts yet, so it's all speculation. If it all comes to fruition, then the question is why did they even bother? I've no problem accepting that the game is console only. If it allows them to stay focused fine; but again, if you're going to put the money and intent into porting the game, do your best for the sake of the fans, the ones that want to support you.

morningbus

The hottest girl in school agreed to give me a handjob!

I have to use my own hand, but she said she'd consider letting me think about her as it happens.

I don't recall much port begging/whining for the game at all actually; once the petition came around people signed it, but didn't think much of it. Put the time and energy it making a great product or you don't get my money, I don't see the issue with that. Respect your fucking product.

true, I was talking about after the petition was created. Honestly, I would love to play this baby at 1080p running@60fps.. after watching my friend play his copy on my TV... and always hear GAF going on about 'blighttown'..

the first time I saw it was in an experience in itself ... good lord, > 10 sub10fps! :O

So yeah, I would love to see 1080p@60fps... however, I'll just be happy to play the game.

and where da moddaz at who can fix these thangz for us

newpage: hello gents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom