• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Helm - The number of Gift Of Coin is increased.
Bracelet - Increases duration of Power Of Lightning.
Armour - Increases duration of Power Of Earth.
Shield - The effect of XP bonuses and coin bonuses sunk into the prize bin increases.
Sword - Prizes are acquired even when sunk over the sides. At lvl 3, Bonus Coins too.
Hammer - The amount of coins necessary to sink the Bonus Coins is decreased.

Boots - Faster automatic time recovery.

I've bolded the two that I feel are most effective.

....help me.

If I listed all the games I've bought (and ignored) since starting PoC, you wouldn't believe me.

Edit: I just sold my excess prizes and now I have more than 45,000 coins.

What do you do when you run out of coins? Done for the day? Also, since I haven't done it yet, do you need to collect one of each color prizes to get the bonus for it?

SmokyDave

What do you do when you run out of coins? Done for the day?

Yup. Put it down for a bit, pick it up later, use regenerated coins. I haven't bought anything in-app at all. After your first jackpot, you'll never need to worry about regenerating coins again.

There is no challenge. No point. No purpose. I don't know why I'm still playing this. I've felt this way for about two weeks.

As for the bonuses, there are 3 'ranks'. To collect one 'rank' you need one prize of each colour. If you ever see 4 or more, sell the excess.

Shaneus

Yup. Put it down for a bit, pick it up later, use regenerated coins. I haven't bought anything in-app at all. After your first jackpot, you'll never need to worry about regenerating coins again.

There is no challenge. No point. No purpose. I don't know why I'm still playing this. I've felt this way for about two weeks.

As for the bonuses, there are 3 'ranks'. To collect one 'rank' you need one prize of each colour. If you ever see 4 or more, sell the excess.
Or, change timezones. I did it like this:
Start off in Australia.
Moved backwards to the US.
Start game. Says 0 coins. Whatever.
Move forward again to Australia. Coin rampage.
Repeat.

Also, there's no real point in working on watching what prize you collect. If it's one you don't need and are desperate for coins, just sell a spare.

PS. Totally same, Dave. Which is why as soon as I hit 500, I'm deleting it. Then erasing it from my memory, Eternal Sunshine-style. I won't know what coins are for WEEKS.

RedAssedApe

Banned
To me, the earlier bloodlines are easy but later bloodlines hard. Maybe I need to increase my hp stat?

HP stat isn't that important if you have the heal spell. They just make the bosses purposely high leveled to force you to have to grind. If you're really good (I'm not in this category) you can still beat all of the enemies because you can technically parry or dodge al of their attacks.

When I beat the game I was level 40 something and on around bloodline 20 lol...better equipment definitely helped. Once I had the Infinity Blade and all of the locked equipment the bosses were a breeze.

When I beat the game I was level 40 something and on around bloodline 20 lol...better equipment definitely helped. Once I had the Infinity Blade and all of the locked equipment the bosses were a breeze.

they should have a leaderboard for lowest level and bloodline someone beat the game in. no purchased money allowed.

GeekyDad

Well, Waking Mars is easily the best thing I've played on iOS this year. What a fantastic adventure. Controls can be a handful, but overall, I'm pretty blown away by this game. Sits nicely alongside Swords & Sworcery.

I didn't even know there was a 7th Guest app! Does it have the original voice work too?
Yes, the game is the complete original game crudely ported to iOS (there are some weird interface issues due to the game being designed around the player having things like an escape button and a mouse). The game is also pretty bad. The constant animations which were so impressive back when a game was actually on a CD-ROM and not just a lot of FMV bolted onto a game designed to fit on floppies now just grind the gameplay to a halt. I've been betrayed by nostalgia plenty over the last few years thanks to GOG but iPad 7th Guest really took the cake in how severely my positive feelings went sour once the nostalgia wore off.

ToxicAdam

That's why I never go back. With movies, television or games. I'd rather have it stay in my memory as when I first saw it, then what they really are today. I don't have that thing in my brain that allows me to enjoy these things without being critical.

Ironically, I learned that lesson re-watching Dukes of Hazzard and A-team episodes about a decade ago.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yes, the game is the complete original game crudely ported to iOS (there are some weird interface issues due to the game being designed around the player having things like an escape button and a mouse). The game is also pretty bad. The constant animations which were so impressive back when a game was actually on a CD-ROM and not just a lot of FMV bolted onto a game designed to fit on floppies now just grind the gameplay to a halt. I've been betrayed by nostalgia plenty over the last few years thanks to GOG but iPad 7th Guest really took the cake in how severely my positive feelings went sour once the nostalgia wore off.

I've only played a little bit but the touch controls seem to work pretty well with the style of game. But you are right that waiting for animations to play can be a little annoying. True its not the same ground breaking game it was 20 years ago but its still a decent puzzle game. Oh and there is that FREE thing. :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
More than you would think actually. Loads of games don't render at 1080.

Of course, 1080p is a rare thing on consoles (hance why I play every multiplat on PC), I was replying to the fact the people on this board supposedely can't see the difference between COD's&co. subHD and games rendered in full HD. I find that hard to believe.

3 Doodle God codes up for grabs..(US Only)

timthumb.php

All gone.

I've only played a little bit but the touch controls seem to work pretty well with the style of game. But you are right that waiting for animations to play can be a little annoying. True its not the same ground breaking game it was 20 years ago but its still a decent puzzle game. Oh and there is that FREE thing. :)

A game being free shouldn't be an excuse for it being sub-par. As for the controls, as memory serves (unless it's been patched to have a trackpad control method) the cursor is context-sensitive, which is a problem when porting games to a system without a cursor.

Nabbed The 7th Guest. Never played it back when, so maybe I'll give it a shot now. Also been giving Trolls 'N Towers a shot and am not impressed. Kingdom Rush it is not.

Code for Doodle God up for grabs.

Nabbed The 7th Guest. Never played it back when, so maybe I'll give it a shot now.

holy shit, 7th Guest is up?

I remember that game being so hard, I had to buy a 300 page guide to deal with the puzzles. Granted, I was like 12 or 13, so maybe I could handle the puzzles now...but that shit was h.a.r.d. back then.

Is it realistic now?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nabbed The 7th Guest. Never played it back when, so maybe I'll give it a shot now.
I have a feeling you will struggle to enjoy it. I have some nostalgia as a result of playing it as a child and I can hardly enjoy it these days. It's terribly dated and not much fun to play.

Interesting atmosphere and creepy story, I suppose, but the game is just a series of choppy puzzles strung together by FMV sequences (which were once impressive but are now incredibly tedious and ugly).

Heel

hS5sZ.jpg

Wario is clogging my Twitter. I suggest he makes a new Twitter account dedicated to codes. I only want to see sales and sporadic praise.

I remember that game being so hard, I had to buy a 300 page guide to deal with the puzzles. Granted, I was like 12 or 13, so maybe I could handle the puzzles now...but that shit was h.a.r.d. back then.
It's not a hard game with the exception of the one non-puzzle which is borderline unbeatable (and was skippable). That 300 page guide included images of literally every step needed to solve a puzzle.

I think one of the puzzles is a Towers of Hanoi clone, to give you an idea of how deep the game gets. I think the word puzzles were the hardest, if only because I'm not good at anagrams.

Is it realistic now?
Er, no, ghosts wandering around in low-resolution FMV still don't exist.

RedAssedApe

Banned
holy shit, 7th Guest is up?

Is it realistic now?

I felt the same and I haven't had too much trouble with the first few puzzles so far. Puzzles will probably seem easier now...assuming we haven't gotten dumber with age. I can only speak for myself though. :D

I felt the same and I haven't had too much trouble with the first few puzzles so far. Puzzles will probably seem easier now...assuming we haven't gotten dumber with age. I can only speak for myself though. :D

might give it another go, then. I suspect I will wish my good memories had stayed just that: memories. From what I recall, most of the early puzzles were easy. I feel like the shit got tougher when it went upstairs into the bathroom. I remember some kind of heart puzzle? And there was a puzzle downstairs in the back room that I remember being difficult.

Can't remember...but I'm surprised I remember that much consider I haven't played the game in almost 20 years.

It's not a hard game with the exception of the one non-puzzle which is borderline unbeatable (and was skippable). That 300 page guide included images of literally every step needed to solve a puzzle.

I think one of the puzzles is a Towers of Hanoi clone, to give you an idea of how deep the game gets. I think the word puzzles were the hardest, if only because I'm not good at anagrams.
Hey man...when you're 13, the shit is hard.

Er, no, ghosts wandering around in low-resolution FMV still don't exist.
No, I meant, is getting through the game without a guide realistic.

Sounds like it may be...but he's still very early in the game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Interesting. I just visited the Trilobyte website and they list this as being in the pipeline:

7th Guest III
Tender Loving Care for iPad (lulz)

Free is good,

but 7th Guest has always been shit, even back when it was a new game.

Shit or not it single handedly spurred the sales of CD-ROM drives. Disregard all of the terrible FMV games it spawned. :)

Man I really hate achievements that are basically "Random events" out of your control. The new Plants vs Zombies update has one that requires you to reach wave 15 of the vasebreaker mini game-which DOES have a bit of strategy involved, however it's still random what comes out of the vases.....very frustrating.

MasLegio

Banned
Man I really hate achievements that are basically "Random events" out of your control. The new Plants vs Zombies update has one that requires you to reach wave 15 of the vasebreaker mini game-which DOES have a bit of strategy involved, however it's still random what comes out of the vases.....very frustrating.

how is reaching wave 15 a random event out of control?

I disagree.

There is a lot of strategy involved. Playing properly (work from the back, forward and always stack guys on top of one another so you can take out several with one squash) will let you reach the higher levels.

I used to get to round 3. Then I got stuck on round 11. Now I consistently make it to round 18-19...it's all about strategy.

Obviously you'll run into tough matches based on the luck of the draw but it's very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom