• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
booooo. epic releases another 1.3Gb update to fix Clashmobs and the missing rewards, but the updates doesnt go back and give you the rewards that fucked up on you. that sucks. ive had at least 8 prizes i qualified for that were taken from me.

Those were the first two games I bought for my old CD ROM drive.

The third game was Iron Helix.

It was a huge mistake.

Oh shit Iron Helix.

Fuck that game. All I remember is it was bad and it used to scare the shit out of me. I liked absolutely nothing about feeling like I was being stalked. I don't remember the objectives, but I remember that fucking sentry stalking me without end. It actually made me stop playing it. I didn't enjoy that stress aspect at all.

booooo. epic releases another 1.3Gb update to fix Clashmobs and the missing rewards, but the updates doesnt go back and give you the rewards that fucked up on you. that sucks. ive had at least 8 prizes i qualified for that were taken from me.

I'm still amazed that iOS continues to not support any sort of incremental patching. Having to redownload these massive games over again every update is beyond ridiculous.

I disagree.

There is a lot of strategy involved. Playing properly (work from the back, forward and always stack guys on top of one another so you can take out several with one squash) will let you reach the higher levels.

I used to get to round 3. Then I got stuck on round 11. Now I consistently make it to round 18-19...it's all about strategy.

Obviously you'll run into tough matches based on the luck of the draw but it's very rare.

Yes I do work from back to front-I'll have to try to stack them-I try to not have too many all at once on screen in case it's a pail-headed zombie and I need to focus firepower on him without it being blocked by another one.

I'll try stacking them-thanks for the tips!

how is reaching wave 15 a random event out of control?

What I mean by random is, I could randomly tap on a vase and it would be the big zombie-and then I would have to find a Squash randomly by tapping on the other vases-and in my case and luck, unleash some pail-headed zombies. I inevitably end up with like 3 squashes all at once with no Gargauntaurs around, or a Gargantaur with no squashes....

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
hS5sZ.jpg

Wario is clogging my Twitter. I suggest he makes a new Twitter account dedicated to codes. I only want to see sales and sporadic praise.
Clogging the thread with thread-clogging jokes. You guys are too meta for me.

I'm still amazed that iOS continues to not support any sort of incremental patching. Having to redownload these massive games over again every update is beyond ridiculous.

having to delete shit to make space for the download is whats messing me up. i needed over 2.5gigs free for the update.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Heel

Clogging the thread with thread-clogging jokes. You guys are too meta for me.

lol I think it was even too meta for our friend Wario. Unless I was outmeta'd.

Clearly it's time for me to stop posting, codes and all. I don't feel like getting banned over something so petty. You win this time, Grinch-GAF.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah stop posting and join that Ascension game I invited you to two days ago. Unless you're afraid of getting p'zoned and ruining your winstreak.

img_0798.jpg

Heel

Yeah stop posting and join that Ascension game I invited you to two days ago. Unless you're afraid of getting p'zoned and ruining your winstreak.

img_0798.jpg

lol I was going to see if that expansion went on sale when the new one came out, but if you're going to throw down the gauntlet I'll gladly bite the bullet. Gum is no object to me. Come at me bro.

Sale in 24 hours confirmed.

GeekyDad

Sword and Sorcery highly recommended?

Highly. As a matter of fact, it's the real definition of "high fantasy," and you can interpret that in a number of ways. I have my suspicions about what substances the developers were partaking of during the making of that game.

Caveat: I think it's safe to say the game is fine entertainment, rather than merely a game. Those folks who were expecting a traditional RPG were obviously disappointed by the game. To be sure, it does have RPG elements, but its focus is obviously much deeper than that.

iceatcs

What kind of game is Waking Mars? and how long is it?

It is quite similar to Aquaria but more puzzle. The protagonist has spore-like seeds instead of shooting. Gardening each room to bring air on level. Some seeds can kill spore/aliens.

It has great exploration (10 hours+ I assume if you want prefect 100% each room) but not bigger than Aquaria.

Mithel

Neo Member
Finished a multiplayer game of Ascension. Bought the expansion, and now I can no longer connect to the server. Tried resetting the device, no dice. Any idea what's going on?

Heel

Finished a multiplayer game of Ascension. Bought the expansion, and now I can no longer connect to the server. Tried resetting the device, no dice. Any idea what's going on?

The exact same thing just happened to me. Hoping the server is just down or something.

EDIT: Working now.

bonesquad

Yes, the game is the complete original game crudely ported to iOS (there are some weird interface issues due to the game being designed around the player having things like an escape button and a mouse). The game is also pretty bad. The constant animations which were so impressive back when a game was actually on a CD-ROM and not just a lot of FMV bolted onto a game designed to fit on floppies now just grind the gameplay to a halt. I've been betrayed by nostalgia plenty over the last few years thanks to GOG but iPad 7th Guest really took the cake in how severely my positive feelings went sour once the nostalgia wore off.

It took me a bit to figure out you need to drag your finger across the screen to simulate.a mouse in 7th Guest. It still only works ok, especially on the tiny iPhone screen. Trying to save is a pain in the ass.

I did figure out if you hold two fingers on the screen you can fast forward through the animations. Thank god for that. Still enjoying 7th Guest's nastalgia though.

RedSwirl

So, does FFTactics control better on an iPad than an iPhone? Does it run well on an iPad1? And has any way been found to transfer save files between the two versions?

Dingotech

So I only just got around to trying Smash Cops that I downloaded the other day for free.
It was on my wishlist for a while but I never got around to buying it.

Boy am I glad I got the game for free! The controls are some of the worst I've ever experienced in a touch screen game.

The way you have to 'push' your car around either via the rear of the car, or via the optional joystick just isn't intuitive IMO. I'd much rather have an accelerate button and left/right steering controls similar to Death Rally, etc.

I'll be deleting this one.

buhdeh

So I only just got around to trying Smash Cops that I downloaded the other day for free.

Boy am I glad I got the game for free! The controls are some of the worst I've ever experienced in a touch screen game.

The way you have to 'push' your car around either via the rear of the car, or via the optional joystick just isn't intuitive IMO. I'd much rather have an accelerate button and left/right steering controls similar to Death Rally, etc.

Lol I played on my iPhone and its like your finger covers half the screen. Tapping a second spot to ram doesnt work too well either when you have to go across the finger doing the driving which ends up with you not being able to see a thing.

Fox Mulder

I agree.

it's a great way for me to justify deleting some of the giant ass apps when they want an update though.

bubnbob

Banned
So, does FFTactics control better on an iPad than an iPhone? Does it run well on an iPad1? And has any way been found to transfer save files between the two versions?

I'd assume the bigger screen space makes it easier on the fingers and to play... it's a SRPG, what could control play into it? Push the button.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

:(
I've bought it but never took the time to downloaded, it's still stuck on my home screen, greyed out.
Going to cloud-limbo forever confirmed, lol

I had the opposite experience, thought the game controlled very intuitively! Not a great game, but controls are pretty good in the iPad.

Azriell

I can't speak for the iPhone version, but I picked the iPad version up just the other day. To tap a square to select it when moving/attacking, and the iPad size is just right so I'd imagine I'd find the iPhone size to be somewhat cumbersome.

I've got to say that some of the control decisions are really strange, but with some time you can get used to it. I just wish the game supported a control option for something more similar to a track pad option.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, anyone else kinda pissed that DJ Max Technicka is coming out for the vita and not the iPad?

I've played that awesome game in the arcade, and a vita port will not do it justice on that tiny (in comparison) screen.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, anyone else kinda pissed that DJ Max Technicka is coming out for the vita and not the iPad?

I've played that awesome game in the arcade, and a vita port will not do it justice on that tiny (in comparison) screen.

I'm more pissed I have to buy songs packs for Jukebeat instead of just indivual songs. There's not ONE pack where I kinda like more than 2 songs, I usually feel like 1 great one, 1 decent and 2 shitty. It puts me off, while
I'd have bought at the very least 12 songs by now instead of zero.
DJ MAX Portable has also always been stuck as PSP only, right?

It is quite similar to Aquaria but more puzzle. The protagonist has spore-like seeds instead of shooting. Gardening each room to bring air on level. Some seeds can kill spore/aliens.

It has great exploration (10 hours+ I assume if you want prefect 100% each room) but not bigger than Aquaria.

Purchased, I'll give this a shot

Flunkie

Banned
Some Kairosoft games are dropping
Grand Prix Story and Venture Towns down to $2 so far

If Mega Mall doesn't pop up I'm going to go mad. All these fucking Towns games have been on sale before but Mega Mall hasn't. And Mega Mall is the only one that I'm interested in because Epic Astro bores me.

zoukka

So do upgrades matter in Kingdom Rush? I guess they don't work in the special missions or something. Having a hard time beating 3 levels first extra star challenge. Damn ogres.
EDIT: level 2 first extra challenge that is.

ToxicAdam

So do upgrades matter in Kingdom Rush? I guess they don't work in the special missions or something. Having a hard time beating 3 levels first extra star challenge. Damn ogres.

Yes, upgrades are very important.

Sometimes on the extra challenges, it's more about what order you build and where you build. I sometimes peeked at YouTube walk-throughs to get a hint at what you build early on.

SyNapSe

The level 3 heroic and iron challenges are crazy hard from what I can remember. I think level 4 was pretty tough too. You'd think for being so early in the game they'd be pretty easy but it's not so..

edit: it might just be level 3 iron normal. It's been a while but I remember dieing over and over and over on one of those even though I left it until I'd beat all of the regular campaign and most of the heroic and iron challenges. It took me forever to beat that one because you only simple level 2 type upgrades so I couldn't figure out what I could change.

ZoddGutts

Seeing how bad the Vita is doing worldwide unlike the PSP did early on in it's life, wouldn't be surprise if they port DJ Max Technicka later to the ipad.

Fewr

If Mega Mall doesn't pop up I'm going to go mad. All these fucking Towns games have been on sale before but Mega Mall hasn't. And Mega Mall is the only one that I'm interested in because Epic Astro bores me.
???
I remember I bought Mega Mall Story for $0.99 towards the end of 2011.

Seeing how bad the Vita is doing worldwide unlike the PSP did early on in it's life, wouldn't be surprise if they port DJ Max Technicka later to the ipad.

The problem with putting Technika on the iPad would probably be how large the download would have to be if they maintained the number of songs and the unique videos that come with each. The flagship DJ MAX games have always been big on presentation and with the download-only and limited capacity reality of iOS something would have to give.

Dacvak

The problem with putting Technika on the iPad would probably be how large the download would have to be if they maintained the number of songs and the unique videos that come with each. The flagship DJ MAX games have always been big on presentation and with the download-only and limited capacity reality of iOS something would have to give.
Size isn't really an issue on ios. Just ask gameloft. Plus, I'm sure it'll be downloadable on vita as well. And really, I wouldn't mind if DJ max was a cheap download with IAP, either.

SmokyDave

Power of Coin players:

Dungeons & Coin is better.

Can't find it on the app store and I can't load my previously purchased list because it crashes iTunes. I'm starting to wonder how many apps I've 'lost' along the way, I noticed that Vector TD had disappeared the other day so I tried to re-download and, same thing, not on store, can't load purchase list.

Good job we're talking about 69p games.

It's also a good job I don't have to fork out 69p every time I use a comma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom