• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Wii U could become "preferred" Call of Duty platform

Nintendo hopes that the Wii U GamePad could become the "preferred" way of playing Call of Duty games.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 remains unannounced for the platform, although a Wii U version has been heavily rumoured.

"Do we want to reach out to the core audience? Absolutely," Nintendo of America marketing exec Scott Moffitt explained to GameSpot. "They're very much part of our audience and the group of consumers we hope will find the way you can re-imagine games on the Wii U.

"The Wii U could become the preferred way to play those games for some of the core gamers."

The GamePad's touch screen could display maps and other HUD elements, Moffitt continued.

"You can imagine how a game like Call of Duty would work on the Wii U - the GamePad will allow you to declutter the TV and pull gaming items like maps down and not interrupt your interaction and enjoy the cinematic quality of the game on the TV.

"That's one application that could be exciting and could enhance gameplay for a core gamer."

But Moffitt admitted the Wii U's controls were "confusing relative to the Wii".

"With a second screen controller, you need to see what's on the second screen, so by nature it's a more complex system," Moffitt concluded. "It's less visually easy to understand."

###

Seeing as WiiU is more powerful than the 360/PS3 I don't see this as a mad possibility.
People are just too quick to cliched digs at Ninty.

Seeing as WiiU is more powerful than the 360/PS3 I don't see this as a mad possibility.

It doesn't have anything to do with graphics. Xbox gamers aren't leaving because all of their friends are on XBL. Same with the PSN and Steam crowd.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think they have an online strategy. That might hurt their chances of becoming the preferred platform for the most popular online multiplayer game on the consoles.

Azure J

Mofitt really instills no confidence in the product his company's putting out. That last sentence in the quote is just mindbogglingly bad. Like assassination of product perception bad. :lol

I'm no Call of Duty diehard, but I'd guess that the issue here involves community, really, not processing power. Nintendo hasn't yet given any reason to believe that their online services for Wii U will rival what Live is currently capable of.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This guy is definitely too good to be at the position he is. I think he needs to handle more "complex" and "confusing" things.

MormaPope

Banned
At this point, CoD is a system seller mainly for Xbox 360's, with there being a shit ton of PS3 console sales as well.

Why would a userbase that already bought their CoD console buy a Wii-U to play CoD on that?

Cornbread78

I can hear the millions of 10 year olds and soccer moms screaming obsenities and racial slurs into the mics through whatever MP service Nintendo developes for CoD.... #dream

Zebra

If they integrate Call of Duty elite into the gamepad controller while you're playing, I could see the Wii U getting a pretty large COD user base.

But most people have their friends on xbox live, so they will likely continue to get it for 360.

Fox318

Nintendo is gonna have a mix up at management soon if they truly believe that with the system spec of their machine as it is.

Then again maybe their plan is to sell Black Ops 1 in 2017 as a classic re release.

Top Bottom