• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Monkey Game

GameE

Lock if old
bg.jpg

http://hitmonkeygame.com/
Activision + High Moon + Marvel

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm for anything that isn't lead by generic protagonist types.

Now Rocksteady needs to make a Gorilla Grodd game to compete

Can't say I'm not terribly disappointed. High Moon is a great dev and hearing they were working on a Marvel property was a dream come true. So of course it turns out it's none of the super popular heroes that desperately need their own "Arkham Asylum" but rather a joke character. I mean why didn't they just make it a Deadpool game?

samman6

High Noon did the most recent transformers game right, War For Cybertron? I really liked that one, it had some great multiplayer, and a fun horde mode. After googling Hit Monkey, this has me really pumped sounds like it could be an awesome game translation if executed right.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can't say I'm not terribly disappointed. High Moon is a great dev and hearing they were working on a Marvel property was a dream come true. So of course it turns out it's none of the super popular heroes that desperately need their own "Arkham Asylum" but rather a joke character. I mean why didn't they just make it a Deadpool game?

Deadpool is a joke character

Bog

Junior Ace
So according to various sites, he's been in like 10 comics ever and only appeared 2 years ago... how the hell do so many of you know who he is?

Deadpool is a joke character

Deadpool is a character who tells jokes, he's not literally the punchline. He's still a character with decades of history and tons of name recognition.

I don't even really WANT a Deadpool game, it just doesn't make much sense to me why this game is even being made. Deadpool: The Game would sell tons just from being Deadpool.

Sojgat

So according to various sites, he's been in like 10 comics ever and only appeared 2 years ago... how the hell do so many of you know who he is?

He was featured in one of Deadpool's books (who is an insanely popular character) and had his own mini series. I still don't understand how Hit-Monkey warrants his own game though.

Sadist

This board having a few comic readers isn't that weird right?

The Hit monkey story in Deadpool was quite enjoyable as well and featured Spider-Man. Deadpool convincing Spider-Man he's being chased by a monkey who's an assassin is quite funny.

I was expecting something completely different when it was first teased High Moon would be doing a Marvel game. I'm pleasantly surprised by this.

Anyone that's been complaining how there aren't enough new ideas floating around got anything to say about this? Haha. :p

Jamie OD

I never ever thought a Hit Monkey game would get made but I'm happy it is.

Sorry to reopen fresh wounds but this is now probably going to be the closest to a new Timesplitters game we are going to get.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyways, I'm sure it's a red herring which will be a bummer.

What are you going to do with a Deadpool game? It would just be another third person shooter with some melee combat. Whoopy

Anyways, I'm sure it's a red herring which will be a bummer.

What are you going to do with a Deadpool game? It would just be another third person shooter with some melee combat. Whoopy

Done right, it would be more like Devil May Cry, or so I'd hope. I don't really want/need a Deadpool game, though. High Moon's work with Transformers made me hope for an X-Men game with awesome multiplayer.

SmithnCo

deadpoolgame.com... Created 2012-06-18, very close to the date hitmonkeygame.com was made. Both registered to Marvel.

Got this from whois. Dunno if it really means anything but...

Squire

Banned
Deadpool is a character who tells jokes, he's not literally the punchline. He's still a character with decades of history and tons of name recognition.

I don't even really WANT a Deadpool game, it just doesn't make much sense to me why this game is even being made. Deadpool: The Game would sell tons just from being Deadpool.

I think you misunderstand him. He's referring to Deadpool's origins. He is, quite literally, s joke. He's a character concieved as a parody of characters created or often written by Rob Liefield. Liefield designed Deadpool, sure, but the writer he worked with was basically instructed by Marvel to write the character in mockery of his creator.

Yeah.

They could totally recycle the old Spiderman game assets like Rob Liefield did when he designed gun Spiderman.

But then consumers would be thinking, "Didn't they just make a new Spiderman game? And why does Spiderman have guns?"

Squire

Banned
Yeah.

They could totally recycle the old Spiderman game assets like Rob Liefield did when he designed gun Spiderman.

But then consumers would be thinking, "Didn't they just make a new Spiderman game? And why does Spiderman have guns?"

It is a Deadpool game.

Guys, it's Activision. They wouldn't touch Hit Monkey with a ten-foot pole. Think about it. Really.

Sojgat

It is a Deadpool game.

Guys, it's Activision. They wouldn't touch Hit Monkey with a ten-foot pole. Think about it. Really.

You're probably right, and "the Hit begins 2013" tagline would still apply (Deadpool is also a hitman for those who don't know).

Edit: by the way Deadpool wasn't exactly created as a parody of Liefeld's work in the way you describe, he was a character designed for a big fight with Cable in New Mutants. Rob has always wanted to work on a Deathstroke title (which he now does, sigh), so he designed a character which basically looked like a cross between Deathstroke and Spider-Man, Fabian Nicieza wrote him as such after pointing this out.

Wade Wilson/Slade Wilson

1372468-deadpool_vs_deathstroke_by_kravendu_super.jpg

Sojgat

Now that I've been thinking about it, I will be massively dissapointed if this doesn't turn out to be a Deadpool game. I liked Darkwatch, the Bourne Conspiracy had some good stuff in it, and I hear one of their Transformers games is actually not bad, I've always thought High Moon studios are capable of making a really great game but they've just never quite managed to pull it off. I would be very interested to see what they would do with a Deadpool game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It is a Deadpool game.

I don't know about that. Did any of you think Marvel was going to make a Guardians of the Galaxy movie?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
DC should counter with this:

Hitman_21_-_Cover.jpg

Wonder what they'd have to call it, though.
I would do anything for a Hitman game. Hunting dinosaurs, the ability to see through walls, and ridiculous shootouts? It's literally begging to be a video game.

Squire

Banned
Is that confirmed?

It's not confirmed and it's an awful apples/oranges comparison to begin with. Since he's asking though: Yeah, a lot of people have expected a GOTG movie for a while now since Marvel keeps bringing it up. It's super heroes in space. You let a VFX team go nuts, put in 3D, and advertise it and make Insta-$$$.

As I said earlier: Hit Monkey is a dumb, joke concept that ATVI wouldn't go near. They're a company interested in sure-fire bets and guarantees. Hit Monkey ain't that. Deadpool is though. It's a Desdpool game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's not confirmed and it's an awful apples/oranges comparison to begin with. Since he's asking though: Yeah, a lot of people have expected a GOTG movie for a while now since Marvel keeps bringing it up. It's super heroes in space. You let a VFX team go nuts, put in 3D, and advertise it and make Insta-$$$.

As I said earlier: Hit Monkey is a dumb, joke concept that ATVI wouldn't go near. They're a company interested in sure-fire bets and guarantees. Hit Monkey ain't that. Deadpool is though. It's a Desdpool game.

Skylanders wasn't a sure-fire thing.

Is that confirmed?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's Deadpool now because of the website thing. Hit Monkey would still be cool though.

Seems that way...that would be a shame. Deadpool is cool, obviously, but what new gameplay elements could a game starring him bring? A Hit-Monkey game with Deadpool cameos (so you get his humour) would be so much more interesting.

SmithnCo

Seems that way...that would be a shame. Deadpool is cool, obviously, but what new gameplay elements could a game starring him bring? A Hit-Monkey game with Deadpool cameos (so you get his humour) would be so much more interesting.

I could see it being a little like DmC, but possibly more bombastic and you can take a lot more damage. Maybe a mechanic where your arms/legs fall off and you must retrieve them, for the hilarity of it.

I just hope if it is indeed Deadpool, it isn't a super generic TPS with some quips thrown in.

ArjanN

I could see it being a little like DmC, but possibly more bombastic and you can take a lot more damage. Maybe a mechanic where your arms/legs fall off and you must retrieve them, for the hilarity of it.

I just hope if it is indeed Deadpool, it isn't a super generic TPS with some quips thrown in.

I don't really see how Hitmonkey is less generic than Deadpool gameplay-wise. He'd still just be a humanoid character with guns, it's all in the execution really.

deadpoolgame.com... Created 2012-06-18, very close to the date hitmonkeygame.com was made. Both registered to Marvel.

Got this from whois. Dunno if it really means anything but...

Interesting...I can confirm that at the time of your post this was true (because I checked), but now it seems like deadpoolgame.com isn't registered to Marvel anymore. hitmonkeygame.com still is though.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Interesting...I can confirm that at the time of your post this was true (because I checked), but now it seems like deadpoolgame.com isn't registered to Marvel anymore. hitmonkeygame.com still is though.
No, the WHOIS on the Deadpool domain is an anonymous registration through Marvel's domain registrar. Still almost certainly them.

Top Bottom