• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the cooldown time would be the simplest way to balance it without reworking the entire mechanism through which it's in the game. I imagine recoding or reworking something like that in the game could be a major time issue.

I think we've seen Pro Vision, Thruster Pack, and Hologram.

We know of Active Camo, Auto Sentry, and Jet Pack.

I'm praying for a "Force Push" that pushes players and grenades back, as well as softening fall damage and allowing for extra jump height a la grenade jumping when aimed at the ground.
Oh I forget the last three. Only real fear is Jet Pack.

I look forward to being the only person that doesn't use PV at the start. I'm gonna be thrusting the hell out of ya, and you won't know what to do, will ya?!

Didn't 343 say that PV was kind of a beginner armor ability, anyway? I mean yes the "pros" used it a lot, but from what I saw they all chose it and didn't really stray due to its apparent awesomeness. I choose more maneuverability over a little extra foresight any day.
PV has its advantages and not. You can see in life-time where the others are, guess what they are trying to do. But on the other hand, you can spot the position already with the radar.

Under a million dollars to develop a brand-new hardware unit? I'm skeptical.
I think the Hardware unit is already developed. They only need the money for manufacturing the stuff.

Ok slow down lol. Ill give you the DMR but not the rest.

I mean they aren't exactly the same, but the kind of have the same purpose. Reach's versions just are way more overpowered relative to the other aspects of the gameplay. Although like I said earlier, my experience is mostly from playing a lot of the demo the summer it released so I don't have the same kind of knowledge of the game that I do with any of the Halo games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Op_ivy's also been here forever, and DopeyFish still posts in gaming side Halo threads, then the list of people who are still around starts to dwindle down with people like urk, Voc, and kittens joining in '05-'06, then there was a big 2007 burst within 6 months or so with Dani, Cocopjojo, Striker, and you and I.

You and I were approved a lot closer together than I had figured, I would have pegged you as being way ahead of me--I was more than happy to just lurk the billion Halo 3 threads leading up to launch (sans the best Halo thread ever created). Crazy how few of the old guard guys are still regulars.

forever. i am old. what ever happened to nutters, i only see him post once in a blue moon?

u4iX

Here's kind of an interesting thought. Do you think they brought Sage in because they knew they wanted to add these things and wanted someone that could execute them well, or do you think Sage was solely responsible for bringing these ideas to the table.

I think Sage wanted to balance the game much further than Bungie allowed.

I remember him talking about how to changed the balance of the Warthog, given his work on Shadowrun, I would have trusted every one of his balance decisions. However, the rest of the team made him change the Warthog back simply because it didn't "feel" like the old vehicle.

Look at the Beta for H:R.

The DMR and Pistol had vertical recoil in addition to bloom, and in addition to that, the vertical recoil was reduced when in scope.

The recoil actually evened out the bloom of the DMR and Pistol because you had to take the time to readjust your aim, allowing the bloom to quasi-reset while you did so.

However, this feature, which I personally really enjoyed, was taken out. Also, the Pistol was the closest thing to a utility weapon we had since Halo 1. If you were good with it, which I considered myself to be, I could play smart and engage a player wielding any weapon in the sandbox.

Some Beta Pistol evidence to back it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nYE6llWfcA

Crucio

Promethean Vision is the anti armor lock!

Promethean Vision is going to promote more frequent battles and less camping. Why? Because the players should eventually become aware of the possibility PV is being used by their enemy and instead of hiding behind corners waiting for an ambush they will choose a more proactive course of action. Not to mention that PV let's out a audio signal when used corret?

Unlike armor lock where one could simply wait for their enemy to arrive around the corner and use it in surprise giving almost no chance for recovery from the other player.

I remember him talking about how to changed the balance of the Warthog, given his work on Shadowrun, I would have trusted every one of his balance decisions. However, the rest of the team made him change the Warthog back simply because it didn't "feel" like the old vehicle.

The DMR and Pistol had vertical recoil in addition to bloom, and in addition to that, the vertical recoil was reduced when in scope.

The recoil actually evened out the bloom of the DMR and Pistol because you had to take the time to readjust your aim, allowing the bloom to quasi-reset while you did so.

However, this feature, which I personally really enjoyed, was taken out. Also, the Pistol was the closest thing to a utility weapon we had since Halo 1. If you were good with it, which I considered myself to be, I could play smart and engage a player wielding any weapon in the sandbox.

Some Beta Pistol evidence to back it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nYE6llWfcA

Didn't Jamie Griesemer say he had to come in near the end of Reach's development and fix the Hog because it controlled terribly? I think Reach would have turned out much better if he had been sandbox lead like he was with Halo 3.

I think vertical recoil was taken out as a response to user backlash, not Bungie saying "yeah nah"

u4iX

I think vertical recoil was taken out as a response to user backlash, not Bungie saying "yeah nah"

Which is another reason I like Halo 4 not having a Beta. However, I think it was a mix of the two.

The community, while with good intentions, doesn't always know what makes a game work.

Same with the grenades, changed because of community feedback, but I LOVED those things in the Beta. You had to be aware of your positioning at all times. You could also play a metagame where you bait out opponents grenades and even keep track of how many they had left to know when to push.

TheOddOne

Here's kind of an interesting thought. Do you think they brought Sage in because they knew they wanted to add these things and wanted someone that could execute them well, or do you think Sage was solely responsible for bringing these ideas to the table.
I read on twitter that some devs looked at Shadowrun for how to balance multiplayer, this including perks, map flow and weapons. It is often to be said brought up when discussing game design.

Which is another reason I like Halo 4 not having a Beta. However, I think it was a mix of the two.

The community, while with good intentions, doesn't always know what makes a game work.

Same with the grenades, changed because of community feedback, but I LOVED those things in the Beta. You had to be aware of your positioning at all times. You could also play a metagame where you bait out opponents grenades and even keep track of how many they had left to know when to push.

Yeah I remember enjoying the beta more than I did with the actual game. I mean I still enjoy Reach, but it's just not as good as the other games.

Are you kidding me? Hand over Halo 5 development to HaloGAF and the best Halo game ever would emerge.
It would be a disaster

I think...I think I need to play Shadowrun.

HaloGAF led RTTP? I'd definitely be down, especially if it's as cheap as u4ix says it is.

Edit: It's 5 bucks used at Gamestop. Also, anyone interested could try the demo, I do believe it still has an online component.

Yeah I remember enjoying the beta more than I did with the actual game. I mean I still enjoy Reach, but it's just not as good as the other games.

I think we all did, but how much of that is honeymoon period?

Aye, I think it's all a scam to fish for investment.

Remember Infinium Labs and their Phantom PC/Console hybrid, they duped investors out of tens of millions of dollars in investment for about 5 years and never released the thing - or even came close to it.

It's actually a pretty good idea if you have no moral compass.

EDIT: Actually, I've done a bit of research on them and I think it's legit. They made the Slingbox, the Jambox, Sodastream and loads of other stuff. I guess it is legit..

Infinium Labs was a notoriously managed company with alot of vision but the inability to execute they couldn't get developer support they had very little to show in terms of actual working prototypes and ultimately just could not deliver.

They pushed a few million into getting the "Phantom Lapboard" off the ground and are now running with it, its a couple of years old and they are still tweeting about it.

http://phantom.net/index.html

Another company or kickstarter could come along and produce something similar to the phantom but the key issue is getting support. Unless you have million and millions of dollars and/or a proven track record publishers and developers are not going to want to work with you because it could be disastrous on their side.

Indie Gaming, Handheld Gaming, Xbox Live Arcade Kickstarters and "visionary developers" moving to smaller budget titles gives the gaming genre room to evolve most defiantly. I could really see a middle ground between handheld gaming and console gaming like the OUYA seems to be aiming for. Its great something like this has came along because gaming was getting stagnant before it.

I never even heard of the game until someone on HaloGAF mentioned it before Reach came out. Missed that party, I guess.

I think...I think I need to play Shadowrun.

There used to be a demo on XBL and my friends and I played that for hours. It was just one map but it was a ton of fun.

We couldn't justify paying 60 bucks for a MP only game that had less than 10 maps.

We have since bought it for 5 bucks. It is still as fun as ever when you find a match.

Overdoziz

Banned
By the way, I updated Refuge (both static and dynamic versions) to have non-retarded jump-ups to ring 2. It's still no ideal (Shouldn't be any problems for people who crouch-jump though) but it's better than what I had before. The problem with the old rocks was that if you timed the jump wrong even by just a little you wouldn't jump properly (caused by Reach's physics) and you would fall in the gap between the rock-jump and ring 2. The chance of it happening now is very small to non-existent. It can make it a bit harder to got on top of rock every now and then mainly for people who don't crouch-jump (shame on you) but it's definitely not as big of a deal as the failed jumps were on the old rocks.

You can download the static version here and the dynamic one here.
Monsterfracas, I would appreciate it if you updated the Refuge version in your fileshare with the new one.

TheOddOne

Weren't the maps done by some people who worked on CE?
The lead designer of Shadowrun was John Howard (who also worked on CE). The level designers were Paul Ehreth (Who works for 343i now), Jason Hill (Went on to work on the Dragon Age franchise) and Chris Voss (Went on to work on the F.E.A.R. franchise).

u4iX

The lead designer of Shadowrun was John Howard (who also worked on CE). The level designers were Paul Ehreth (Who works for 343i now), Jason Hill (Went on to work on the Dragon Age franchise) and Chris Voss (Went on to work on the F.E.A.R. franchise).

SR was also made using the Halo 1 engine.

shadow31.jpg

More images and info here: http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/05/shadowrun-prototype-on-halo-engine/

heckfu

Banned
There used to be a demo on XBL and my friends and I played that for hours. It was just one map but it was a ton of fun.

We couldn't justify paying 60 bucks for a MP only game that had less than 10 maps.

We have since bought it for 5 bucks. It is still as fun as ever when you find a match.

You somehow did it for Halo. (cough).

Ok, I just bought Shadowrun. My games for the tourney is tonight but after it's over I'll download it and get online.

How much you get it for? I had it but somehow no longer have it. Its a good game, although the weapon selection is less than stellar. Teleporting through walls and gliding is awesome though, and the rifle feels sorta like the dmr.

TheOddOne

The Shadowrun wiki is facinating:
Enhanced Vision: Activated Enhanced Vision reveals all combatants within 60 meters. Lines will move across a player's screen letting them know when they have been spotted by Enhanced Vision.

Smartlink: When mapped, every weapon gains an additional level of zoom. When activated, magnetic auto-aim is increased and friendly fire from guns is not possible. A red laser sight indicates that a player has activated Smartlink.

Smoke: When mapped, Smoke will hide the user from Enhanced Vision and the lock-on effect of Smartlink. When activated, the player turns into a cloud of smoke and takes no weapon or fall damage, but all other skills are disabled and the player cannot attack. While active, essence will continuously drain until deactivated or essence is depleted. If hit with Gust, a smoked player will lose a huge chunk of essence. If this loss is more than the player had, the remaining loss is taken as health damage instead.
Halo 4 got inspiration from a sauce.

Regen Field => Tree of Life
Jet Pack => Glider
Auto Sentry => Summon

The game is boss.

How do you feel that you singlehandedly just gave a small adrenaline shot to the shadowrun online community?

I'll probably get a RTTP thread up in the gaming side in the next couple of days after I get the game, unless one of you wants to do it.

The video doesn't do the map justice. Lighting is good, even people running around with dark grey armor can be seen pretty clearly. I had issues with the physical design of the map, but I'm going to hold off on judging it any further until I get to play on it again.

That's great to hear Squid!

Can you elaborate on the physical design part, do you mean the verticality of the map or corridors etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom