• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seik

Banned
Does anyone here not use screen protectors? I just cant use them, even on phones, ipad, handhelds in general. I'm sure some may think it's foolish but anyone else feel this way?

I don't use them, I had an experience with my DSlite where I failed applying the screen on BOTH screens because there always had fucking air bubbles, so I removed it and then I wasn't able to apply correctly because it was kind of...1 time use.

Twice...

Waste of mah moneys. D:

Jarsonot

Does anyone here not use screen protectors? I just cant use them, even on phones, ipad, handhelds in general. I'm sure some may think it's foolish but anyone else feel this way?

I don't use them, but after this gen of electronics I'm definitely putting them on my next gen. Both phone and 3DS are scratched pretty well. Feel stupid for not using them but they're scratched now, be like closing the barn door after the cows got out. =)

(And I'm upgrading both fairly soon)

I never use them on anything except my phone, and even then I really don't need it.

I never use them on anything, I hate the way they they feel.

I don't use them, I had an experience with my DSlite where I failed applying the screen on BOTH screens because there always had fucking air bubbles, so I removed it and then I wasn't able to apply correctly because it was kind of...1 time use.

Twice...

Waste of mah moneys. D:

My brothas! Ok good to know im not insane, or maybe I am but just in good company :)

I use them on all of those things. A long time ago, I scratched my DS Lite screen while using the stylus (a grain of sand or something was on the screen). After that I use them. I've gotten pretty good at applying them and don't have any bubbling issues. The Hori screen protectors were pretty easy to put on the 3DS and I'm glad I did.

not sure if I believe any of that

even my 3ds didnt scratch

just be normal

Is scratch the right word? My 3DS only gets the circle pad and the border imprints when I apply force on it.

I hoped this too and didn't get the scratches for months, but one day those imprints stopped rubbing off...if you check amazon marketplace and ebay, it's a common issue with preowned systems really. Shame all things considered.

I've never had any luck with applying screen protectors before but after having a perfect install of the "anti-dust" Vita one I'm gonna give it a go on the XL as well seeing as they are applied pretty much the same way.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
After plenty of DS/DSi scratched screens, I did the smart thing and started using protectors on my 3DS. It took a while to get use to the new feeling on the touch screen, but I'm glad I started using them with games like Kid Icarus and Theatrhythm.

fernoca

I don't mind screen protectors, usually like them too.
Now the process of putting them is another thing. :p
One freaking dust particle and the entire sheet is lost!
Usually buy multiple protectors, just in case I fucked the first one...or two. :p

Sushigod7

I've put screen protectors on everything from cell phones, ipods, 3ds, dsi xl, ipad, vita. The trick is to have pieces of tape ready so if you get dust on the protector "smudge" it off and immediately reapply. I know some people steam up a small bathroom before they do it, that helps. It's a pain for sure but do it slowly from one side to the other and you won't get bubbles.

I'm putting one on my XL I can't stand the thought of scratches.

No thanks. I ride my handhelds raw. If they scratch due to some stupid design decision by the creator of the handheld, I'll just keep returning them until they give me something that meets my level of satisfaction. I recommend everyone that got an XL mail it to me. I'll test them out for ya and send them back. No charge. At all. Free.

Eusis

If it's plastic, I tend to prefer them on. If it's glass, I care less: I did put one on my iPod Touch but recently removed it after it got heavily scratched, and am not bothering on tablets like the Nexus 7. Probably won't on a smartphone that uses scratch resistant glass either.

And I THINK the scratching mainly comes from when you've had it in your pocket or in a bag with other things in it, even when it's in a protective case. That's the only time I got anything more than smears.

I just received my 3DS XL from TheHut today :)

...Now I dont want to hype this issue up since it could just be my 3DS XL, but as soon as I opened it up I noticed a problem - there are small 'dot' marks scattered about my top screen which form two 'lines' :(

The 'dots' seem to match up with the plastic edges of the bottom screen. There was no foam protective sheet between the screens like the original 3DS had when new, so i'm guessing there was some friction/particles between the screens during transit, or just after manufacture and this has caused these dots.

Below is the best pic I could come up with using super macro mode on my camera - I had to aim a light bulb at the area so the dots would show up in the light, otherwise they are really hard to photograph. There are more dots than you can see in the photo, but they are only visible where they have reflected the light:-

The dots are mostly present on the right side, although there are also a few on the left as well. I have tried to wipe them off with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth hoping that they were just smudges, but it didnt help.

I'm sure the new rubber bumpers would have helped, but at least on mine they dont appear to be tall enough to provide adequate clearance between the screens <EDIT - There is a tiny clearance/gap, but apply a small amount of pressure and the top half bends and the screens touch - at least on my unit> I just cant understand why Nintendo hasn't made the bumpers a bit bigger than they actually needed to be in order to prevent a similar issue happening again.

To me this is even more annoying than the 3DS screen scratching problem, since the marks are there from new so there is no way to prevent them (I had intended to keep the foam sheet between the screens until I could order some Hori screen protectors)

On the brightside the dots are not really visible when its turned on, so i'm not sure if I should return it or not. Am I just too much of a perfectionist, or does Gaf think its an issue worth returning it for? I'm concerned that a replacement would end up with the yellow screen problem or dead pixels etc.

It may have been stacked user the weight of an entire shipment, stored improperly by the store, too.

Just return/exchange the unit and call it a day. It's a bummer when these things happen, but sometimes things are beaten under manufacture or shipping. Now that you've seen it, you won't unsee it. You'll feel better to exchange and be rid of it. I'm sure it's a fluke system, as I one anywhere has had any issues like this.

Next thing, some other Internet forum will see this post, or a news gaming/media site - and totally claim the issue has tpreturned, when no evidence says it has. Not yet, at least.

Is scratch the right word? My 3DS only gets the circle pad and the border imprints when I apply force on it.

Scratch is indeed the right word!

ib07DoFU47ovZg.jpg

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I will not buy one until they end my curiosity as to how the second slide pad zl zr add-on looks. I would think that they designed the XL in a way where the CP add-on is a lot less ridiculous looking and more convenient to use. I can not play Revelations without the second stick and extra triggers and I refuse to go back now.

Robso

I didn't on my DS Lite but shall be doing on my 3DS XL. This is what's stopping me buying one for now as there aren't many released yet.

It's possible that i'll buy the 3DS tomorrow and just sit looking at it until screen protectors release.

I want more blue and red pics! ^_^ C'mon EU owners, who'll be picking their systems upon Friday, show us your goods. I need hype to re-rise for the NA launch...especially after the past page or so....

:(

Bumhead

Banned
If anyone picks up a 3DS XL from a high street retailer or supermarket in the UK today, let us know.

My stops today are potentially Tesco, HMV and Blockbuster. Will obviously post if any of them are selling it today.

mandiller

I had the same and send it back at Nintendo. Got a brand new 3DS.
( Nintendo Netherlands that is ). I bought a protector for both screens and guess what...same scrathes .Now that I used the screenprotector, the scratches are on the protectors.

This is what I ended up doing for my 3DS that liked to smudge/scratch screens.

Q1fYh.jpg

I got a little rubber foot from the bottom of an old keyboard and stuck it on either side of the top screen. Works a treat. But hopefully I won't need to do anything like that with the XL.

Drago

I put Xbox 360 rubber feet near the camera so they land on the Start and Select buttons, like what the XL is doing. Works like a charm, zero scratches. A few dots on the bottom right but nothing noticeable.

I put Xbox 360 rubber feet near the camera so they land on the Start and Select buttons, like what the XL is doing. Works like a charm, zero scratches. A few dots on the bottom right but nothing noticeable.

Same, but I stuck mine on the top corners, about a quarter inch from the sides. No scratches. Maybe they'll remain sticky when the XL is released, assuming worse case scenario with the scratching. Is there a good place to stick 'em on the XL?

And I STILL haven't decided on a color. I like all of them.

I'm going black and blue. Bruises err day

Nosgoroth

As soon as I finish work I'm going to my Game to trade in my 3DS, DS Lite and OG DS for a XL, and then suffer the system transfer dance.

And I STILL haven't decided on a color. I like all of them.

Robin64

As soon as I finish work I'm going to my Game to trade in my 3DS, DS Lite and OG DS for a XL, and then suffer the system transfer dance.

Good idea, I forgot I have a DSi I don't use. Does anyone know how much GAME would give me off the XL for that?

Eusis

I'd kinda like to keep the DSes around, but then the original probably goes for next to nothing, the lite plays GBA games (and in some cases the original is better there anyway), and the DSi is the best looking option for DS games. Though the 1:1 mode of the 3DS XL WOULD match the DSi at least.

urfe

Nah, white electronics just exist to grime and look dirty all the time. Specially if you live in Brazil, haha.

My white DS Lite never stopped looking beautiful and white, and I didn't exactly treat it well. The 3DS has made me not expect the same quality out of the LL, but I would hope with some care it could be as reliable as my DS Lite was.

Nosgoroth

I'd kinda like to keep the DSes around, but then the original probably goes for next to nothing, the lite plays GBA games (and in some cases the original is better there anyway), and the DSi is the best looking option for DS games. Though the 1:1 mode of the 3DS XL WOULD match the DSi at least.

It would be nice to keep them, but I just know I'm not going to bother turning them on ever again. The 3DS XL should take care of my DS collection, and for GBA games I have a SP and a Micro.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I've got a phat that can do duty as gba machine (even with its ugly screen), and two lites that can happily get traded in. My kids mostly play my 3DS anyway

-GJ-

Just got a text from the Game Mania (Holland) to come pick up my Blue 3DS XL. So I guess it's being sold in Holland :).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
just picked mine up, arnhem.

got a free big pouch cause i bought like a shitload of stuff at gamemania. but i dont think the 3dsxl fits hahaha

the pikmins are moving over my stuff now <3

Robin64

So yeah, after weighing up all the pros and cons of the machine, I've decided to go for it.

After work I will be taking my white DSi (lovely machine!) along with a bunch of Xbox 360 games and seeing what GAME will give me off the price of an XL. I'll also be picking up New Art Academy as I loved the previous one and I think this one will look superb on that big screen.

But I decided to keep my Zelda Edition 3DS. I just can't bring myself to part with that. So I guess I'll transfer all the stuff to the XL then set up the 3DS fresh and do the reset trick to get new puzzle pieces to StreetPass over.

dc89

I'm going to be looking at the pick up thread over the next few days! Love seeing peoples pictures of new hardware.

Synless

So yeah, after weighing up all the pros and cons of the machine, I've decided to go for it.

After work I will be taking my white DSi (lovely machine!) along with a bunch of Xbox 360 games and seeing what GAME will give me off the price of an XL. I'll also be picking up New Art Academy as I loved the previous one and I think this one will look superb on that big screen.

But I decided to keep my Zelda Edition 3DS. I just can't bring myself to part with that. So I guess I'll transfer all the stuff to the XL then set up the 3DS fresh and do the reset trick to get new puzzle pieces to StreetPass over.
Reset trick?

Ouch - do you know what they give for ds lites?

£25

Ouch

edit
Wait...it says they give £50 trade in for an HDMI 20gb 360? Oh snap. Mine's been sitting in the cupboard since I got my slim at Xmas. I'm gonna trade that in for sure.
Anyone know what they'll want? Will they want an HDMI cable or will the standard leads do? also do I need a controller?

If I can trade that in for £50 then I'll get a XL today for sure. wow.

Just got a red one and blue one...( red for myself, other one for my son ).
Now for the transfer :D

Edit: does anyone know if the pouch/ case of a DSi XL fits for the 3DS XL?

CIMG5015.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom