• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Will I be ok if I start playing on my friends 3we then play on my xl on the 19th? I know theatryhth had some weird thing when you used the cart on another system. something about unlockables

Stupid question but, the ending credits are like the ones in BBS, KH I and KH II? Or they are like CoM, Re:Coded and 358/2 days?

No spoilers, please =p

Gradivus

Is there any more difficulty modes after Proud mode? While I'm enjoying the game it seems to be a bit easy even on that mode.

hamchan

Went out and bought the game even though I didn't like the demo much. The wacky, insanely convoluted story has managed to hook me enough to buy it day one apparently.

Mendrox

Finished the game. I needed 16:52 hours, but I also rushed trough the game.
Was underleveled at the end and had to grind for 30 minutes, I didn't care for the stupid DreamEaters (I often didn't find the mats for them...)

The graphics are good (like the PS2 Versions I think), many enemies will cause a little bit slowdown if you use freeflow too much.

Freeflow is awesome! Love that.

The Story is okay, and the last two worlds are really really awesome. I liked them.

The 3D effect is one of the best on the system (the opening is stunning in 3D!!)

I didn't complete nearly everything, I just wanted to play through the game for the story and the new system, so that I can sell it very fast.

Hopefully Kingdom Hearts 3 will come out in the next 5 years, lol.

Mendrox

They can't keep delaying Kingdom Hearts 3 I reckon. Has to be the next one out right? Please?

Well for that (not heavy spoilers but still)

everything is planned and all the games connected, also all the Guardians of light and darkness are assembled. At most there could be one more spin off with Kairi or Sora, but I don't really think that this is necessary at all. Kingdom Hearts 3 has to be the next game imo

:)

Famassu

They can't keep delaying Kingdom Hearts 3 I reckon. Has to be the next one out right? Please?
Well, KH3D is a straight build-up to KHIII and Nomura has said how they "know" that the series needs to go back to home consoles, so it's almost 100% certain that the next game will be Kingdom Hearts III. There might be something like Kingdom Hearts HD Collection before it to build hype, but I don't think other than that there will be any more KH releases before Kingdom Hearts III. After all, they DID already cancel one KH project (Birth By Sleep Vol. 2), so I doubt they'll do anything else before KHIII.

hank_tree

Well, KH3D is a straight build-up to KHIII and Nomura has said how they "know" that the series needs to go back to home consoles, so it's almost 100% certain that the next game will be Kingdom Hearts III. There might be something like Kingdom Hearts HD Collection before it to build hype, but I don't think other than that there will be any more KH releases before Kingdom Hearts III. After all, they DID already cancel one KH project (Birth By Sleep Vol. 2), so I doubt they'll do anything else before KHIII.

Did they officially cancel BBS2? I never heard that.

Mario007

...Wat. When did they talk about BbS Vol. 2 canceled? O_O

EDIT: Oh, I've just found out.

Ultimania interview. Nomura said there's a story there but it won't be told due to the development of 3D. Also another 'mystery game' which Nomura teased after BBS was cancelled in lieu of 3D and will not be completed. Honestly, I'm fairly annoyed that a game like 3D effectively cancelled BBS volume 2 and any other 'mystery game' Nomura was working on and planning. My annoyance is directed both at Nintendo and Square for this.

Finished the game. I needed 16:52 hours, but I also rushed trough the game.
Was underleveled at the end and had to grind for 30 minutes, I didn't care for the stupid DreamEaters (I often didn't find the mats for them...)

The graphics are good (like the PS2 Versions I think), many enemies will cause a little bit slowdown if you use freeflow too much.

Freeflow is awesome! Love that.

The Story is okay, and the last two worlds are really really awesome. I liked them.

The 3D effect is one of the best on the system (the opening is stunning in 3D!!)

I didn't complete nearly everything, I just wanted to play through the game for the story and the new system, so that I can sell it very fast.

Hopefully Kingdom Hearts 3 will come out in the next 5 years, lol.

WOW, 16:52 hours! You're really fast =p

Ultimania interview. Nomura said there's a story there but it won't be told due to the development of 3D. Also another 'mystery game' which Nomura teased after BBS was cancelled in lieu of 3D and will not be completed. Honestly, I'm fairly annoyed that a game like 3D effectively cancelled BBS volume 2 and any other 'mystery game' Nomura was working on and planning. My annoyance is directed both at Nintendo and Square for this.

I for one am happy that we might finally get KH3 lol.

And the ''mystery game'' is such Nomura bullshit. I think he has been talking about it a long time too.

RPGCrazied

I'm sure we will get a Kingdom Hearts III. The real question is if it will be on PS3 or the PS4. We are pretty late in this generation, so probably not.

Mario007

I for one am happy that we might finally get KH3 lol.

And the ''mystery game'' is such Nomura bullshit. I think he has been talking about it a long time too.

The mystery game could very well be BBS Volume 2 as it was supposed to star a different protagonist from Sora but I'm not too hung up on that. What bothers me is that when they were essentially choosing whether to do 3D or a follow-up to BBS in both gameplay terms and storywise 3D won out most likely due to financial considerations (i.e. Nintendo support).

hamchan

Well 1 and a half hours in and storywise this game just dumps you into it with not much explanation of what the heck is going on.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About the Italian strange distribution situation, Nintendo of Italy explained here.

Gentile cliente,
Nintendo è da anni molto attenta alla traduzione in lingua italiana dei propri titoli, che vengono sempre localizzati prima della distribuzione in Italia, salvo eccezioni a dir poco rare.

In alcune occasioni tuttavia Nintendo è solamente distributore di un titolo, che è invece prodotto e realizzato da un’altra software house. È questo il caso di Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance], distribuito da Nintendo Italia a partire dallo scorso 20 luglio, ma prodotto e sviluppato da Square Enix, che non ha ritenuto di tradurre il proprio gioco anche in lingua italiana.

Una volta che Nintendo Italia è venuta a conoscenza della mancata localizzazione, si è reso necessario decidere se procedere con la distribuzione del prodotto, in quanto siamo consapevoli della grande importanza che riveste la presenza della lingua italiana all’interno di un software. Dopo aver ascoltato attentamente le ragioni dei favorevoli e quelle dei contrari e aver riscontrato che, diversamente da altre nazioni, non c’erano alternative alla distribuzione del gioco da parte di Nintendo Italia, abbiamo deciso che sarebbe stato ingiusto non dare l’opportunità ai numerosi fan di questa saga di acquistare questo nuovo capitolo e abbiamo acconsentito a curarne la distribuzione.

Le vendite sono state di gran lunga superiori alle aspettative e in questi giorni la reperibilità del gioco nei negozi è più difficile del previsto. Desideriamo comunque informarti che nuove copie del titolo verranno inviate ai rivenditori nel minor tempo possibile – considerato anche il periodo estivo, che dilata i tempi di approvvigionamento. Ti suggeriamo di rivolgerti ai rivenditori della tua zona per avere più informazioni in merito alla nuova disponibilità del prodotto.

Ci scusiamo per il possibile disagio causato dalla mancanza della lingua italiana e per la difficile reperibilità del gioco stesso in questo periodo, ma speriamo di aver fatto cosa gradita nel fare arrivare comunque in Italia un titolo di questa importanza.

Per ulteriori delucidazioni sulla mancata localizzazione del software, vi suggeriamo di contattare il servizio clienti di Square Enix (http://support.eu.sq...hp?id=5121&la=2).

Cordiali saluti

Summay: Unlike Nintendo fo Spain, they decided to distribute the game even if not localized in Italian, but the demand has been far bigger than anticipated, thus the availability problems. However, new copies are coming soon ( but not as soon as in other periods of the year, since it's summer now).

SykoTech

I'm sure we will get a Kingdom Hearts III. The real question is if it will be on PS3 or the PS4. We are pretty late in this generation, so probably not.

PS3, I hope. The wait would probably be significantly longer with all the new, fancy tech of the PS4 to distract them.

I think KH3 will be early next gen multiplat game. Nomura and other KH team is still busy with Versus till who knows how long. Maybe Osaka team will start working on it with main team joining later. I don't think we will see it before 2015 and that would be a lil too late for PS3 game I think :(.

Zomba13

End Credits and secret message Spoiler
When you get to the third part of the credits (after the bit with the important people and after the bit where you play through to get the letters) the letters that show up on the top screen spell out 'This leads to Kingdom Hearts' and when Sora and Riku walk to the light it apparently (according to some) looks like a III.
Also the secret message makes it blatantly obvious the next KH game will be KH3 on a HD system.

Also weren't we supposedly getting a game where we played as Mickey? Or did I imagine that?

SoulUnison

Banned
End Credits and secret message Spoiler
When you get to the third part of the credits (after the bit with the important people and after the bit where you play through to get the letters) the letters that show up on the top screen spell out 'This leads to Kingdom Hearts' and when Sora and Riku walk to the light it apparently (according to some) looks like a III.
Also the secret message makes it blatantly obvious the next KH game will be KH3 on a HD system.

Also weren't we supposedly getting a game where we played as Mickey? Or did I imagine that?

That might have been "Birth by Sleep -Volume Two-", which, if I remember correctly, ended up being abandoned as a project so that Dream Drop Distance could be completed.

hamchan

Bleh, I'm not into raising pets to get abilities at all. I like the freeflow system but it's making the camera more messed up than it's ever been in the series imo.

Thoraxes

5/10 review from Polygon lol

I mean, I haven't played the game yet so I can't say for sure, but it sounds like from the review that the reviewer is bad at Team Osaka KH games, and subsequently is not good at playing the game.

At least the review wasn't a HD System blahblah review.

Kazerei

Banned
5/10 review from Polygon lol

Polygon review said:
While Disney's influence remains strong, Final Fantasy has fallen by the wayside. There's not a Tetsuya Nomura creation to be found, aside from characters from The World Ends With You. Classic Final Fantasy characters are referenced as names of high-level Dream Eaters, a teasing reminder of the reason I originally fell for this franchise.

Wait, really? She plays Kingdom Hearts for the Final Fantasy cameos?

The lack of Nomura's creations is a good thing IMO.

Edit: apparently there's not much Nomura, Final Fantasy, or Disney spirit in the game ... I can kind of understand that.

Enfinit

I'd say PS4. From my understanding, KHIII is in the very beginning (if not at all) phases of development. It's probably a good 2-3 years off.

I also wouldn't rule out the chance of it coming to the 360 and becoming multiplatform with FF on the Xbox. One can only hope.

hamchan

Ok, after playing 4 hours of this game I'm liking it quite a lot now. Just had to get used to this series messed up camera again.

Famassu

The mystery game could very well be BBS Volume 2 as it was supposed to star a different protagonist from Sora but I'm not too hung up on that. What bothers me is that when they were essentially choosing whether to do 3D or a follow-up to BBS in both gameplay terms and storywise 3D won out most likely due to financial considerations (i.e. Nintendo support).
Nintendo didn't give any financial support. It's just a case of 3DS pretty much being the only viable option for the next Kingdom Hearts game when they had to make the decision about which console to develop it for (1) the part of Osaka team working on these Kingdom Hearts games is not big enough to do console level stuff without the help of other teams, which aren't available due to all having their own things going on, 2) PSP simply isn't a good platform anymore outside Japan and 3) Vita arrived too late to the scene + it would've required a bigger team as well).

The lack of Nomura's creations is a good thing IMO.

Edit: apparently there's not much Nomura, Final Fantasy, or Disney spirit in the game ... I can kind of understand that.
I think the characters from the TWEWY universe fit much better than the FF characters did, although that's not to say I want the FF cameos gone either.

MAtgS

If the jump to PS4 would delay the game too long, then Wii U seems the logical Plan B. But if I were a betting man, multi-platform (at least PS4/Wii U, maybe 360 depending on the timing) is what I think is the most probable outcome. all they need is a well-timed HD collection on the same consoles to get everyone up to speed.

However I wouldn't say that KH3 will be the next game. In the time it'll take to develop it, they could probably get another side-story game out.
which judging by the secret ending & recent interviews, I suspect is an iOS game about Kairi's & Lea's training

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, how does this game compare to BbS and KH1. Those 2 games are my favorites.

Whenever I get a 3DS, this will be the first game I buy.

The FF cameos haven't really been interesting to me since KH1, to be honest. (Zack was okay in BBS, I guess.)

Part of the reason I like the idea of TWEWY characters crossing over with KH is because it's a nice change of pace from the norm. And the characters fit in pretty well. too.

Chunky

The FF cameos haven't really been interesting to me since KH1, to be honest. (Zack was okay in BBS, I guess.)

Part of the reason I like the idea of TWEWY characters crossing over with KH is because it's a nice change of pace from the norm. And the characters fit in pretty well. too.
Design-wise, KH and TWEWY do feel quite similar, especially the characters and enemies.
Couple hours to go, it seems like I've been waiting forever for this game. But soon. Soon she will be mine.

Whats the deal with the white frog dream eater @ Pinocchio world. I accepted the fight but he ran away. Is that some kinda damage check that you need to be high enough level to finish it fast enough?

I don't even feel like changin my party members anymore for new dream eaters since I lose all the ability board stuff. New ones I have made seem to have pretty bad/avarage boards anyway.

Nemesis_

I also think, being on the 3DS, it makes more sense for them to use TWEWY characters instead of FF ones. But that's just me.

Esura

Banned

I actually gave KH1 a shot back then because of it's FF cameos otherwise I would of passed on it (I slightly dislike Disney beyond Lion King). I was never into the series for Disney so I'm actually disappointed knowing they laxed on the FF cameos. My main interest in the series stems from its story relating to the original KH characters now.

Ammish

Banned
To be honest, I do not care for Final Fantasy cameo. I liked them in Kingdom Hearts and I do love me some Final Fantasy, but Kingdom Hearts II implemented the FF characters in the worse way possible. I like Auron, but he was definitely shoe-horned in Olympus Coliseum and the less we talk about the FFVII characters wearing Advent Children clothes, the better.

Mario007

That might have been "Birth by Sleep -Volume Two-", which, if I remember correctly, ended up being abandoned as a project so that Dream Drop Distance could be completed.

Which makes me really sad, considering how DDD is much very much a watered down BBS in terms of mechanics and enhanced Coded in terms of story.

Nintendo didn't give any financial support. It's just a case of 3DS pretty much being the only viable option for the next Kingdom Hearts game when they had to make the decision about which console to develop it for (1) the part of Osaka team working on these Kingdom Hearts games is not big enough to do console level stuff without the help of other teams, which aren't available due to all having their own things going on, 2) PSP simply isn't a good platform anymore outside Japan and 3) Vita arrived too late to the scene + it would've required a bigger team as well).

You do make some great points but the mystery game and BBS2 were planned and the mystery game actually began development prior to Nintendo coming to Square with 3DS. So both of the games were cancelled in lieu of DDD. While certainly Nintendo didn't give Square money to develop the game or anything like that (Sony and Nintendo stated many times that they do not do this) they certainly offered a deal for promotion, which is evident from NoE actually publishing the game for example. That's all I was getting at.

If the jump to PS4 would delay the game too long, then Wii U seems the logical Plan B. But if I were a betting man, multi-platform (at least PS4/Wii U, maybe 360 depending on the timing) is what I think is the most probable outcome. all they need is a well-timed HD collection on the same consoles to get everyone up to speed.

However I wouldn't say that KH3 will be the next game. In the time it'll take to develop it, they could probably get another side-story game out.
which judging by the secret ending & recent interviews, I suspect is an iOS game about Kairi's & Lea's training

Actually the secret message would seem to imply either a HD collection or KH3. Nomura defined what he meant by a 'lighter KH project' as being a HD collection too and he did state many times that he is aware the platform jumping has hurt the series when it comes to understanding the story.

Just wondering, how does this game compare to BbS and KH1. Those 2 games are my favorites.

Whenever I get a 3DS, this will be the first game I buy.

Worse than BBS, about the same as KH1 but only because they're using watered down command deck flowmotion, if those were not there then it would have been the worst mainline KH game (certainly from a story and writing persepctive this is on the level of Coded).

I actually gave KH1 a shot back then because of it's FF cameos otherwise I would of passed on it (I slightly dislike Disney beyond Lion King). I was never into the series for Disney so I'm actually disappointed knowing they laxed on the FF cameos. My main interest in the series stems from its story relating to the original KH characters now.

Same here! FF cameos were the only reason I bought the game. It when KHII came around and had a loads of new original characters that I started being interested in KH itself. With BBS this interest increased because the original characters there were awesome. Kinda disappointed with DDD in this regard because it started to rely on Disney too much again.

Top Bottom