• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising may give 360 more Capcom-games?

rastex

Banned
If LP and DR are fair game for PS3 ports, then Monster Rancher and DMC4 should be as well for the 360 right? It only makes sense.

'Only on Xbox' or 'Only on 360' badging alone doesn't guarantee anything more than a timed exclusive and never has. The third-party games that say 'Only on 360' are likely tied up in agreements where the publisher/developer agree to not release a port for a year or so and to not talk about future ports for some other period. I wouldn't expect Capcom to confirm any Dead Rising port before January.

Majmun

The only way to keep a 3rd party game exclusive is by publishing it.

Otherwise it can go multiplatform. I expect A LOT last gen 3rd party exclusives to go multi platform in the end.

Speevy said:
It makes sense in a "I want to make as much money as possible." kind of way.
Well of course it makes sense there. But to say something is fair game for porting doesn't really factor in the agreements that go into these decisions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would be very surprised if at least Dead Rising doesn't get ported.

The difference is that I am enjoying DR NOW instead of in six months or whatever.

Odysseus

Banned
I would hope that every game not nailed down with a first party publishing contract goes multiplatform, and then even a few of those, too. Heck, port Halo 3 to PS3, for all I care. Multiplatformism should rise so multiconsolism can die. $400 for Xbox 360 and $600 for PS3 is about $700 (combined) too much to play games. If we can't have a one console future, then an "every game everywhere" strategy is a good enough alternative.

*mini-diatribe spurred by the multiconsole thread

Alright....

1) Sales vs. shipped means the same thing to a publisher. Sell in vs. sell through, no difference as LONG AS the numbers aren't drastically different.

2) I want exclusives. I have a 360, I plan on getting a PS3 when DMC4/MGS4 come out. You know, a 360 game made for it and only it is going to look better as opposed to it being developed for multiple consoles. Same applies with PS3. And being that many here will end up being multi-console owners, does it really all that matter -- all we have to do is pop one HD-DVD in one console, and move another few inches to pop a Blu-Ray into another console. Not a problem for us.

3) Exclusives games from Capcom: (CONSOLE)

1) Onimusha 2
2) Onimusha 3
3) Onimusha 4
4) Devil May Cry
5) Devil May Cry 2
6) Devil May Cry 3
7) Demento
8) Resident Evil File 1
9) Resident Evil FIle 2
10) Resident Evil Dead Aim
11) PN03
12) Okami
13) Resident Evil Remake
14) Resident Evil 0
15) Those Megaman games... >.> the x's n' shit I don't know
16) Monster Hunter
17) Monster Hunter dos
18) Monster Hunter 2
19) Megaman Powered up
20) Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble
21) Dino Crisis 3
22) Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
23) Chaos Legion
*and many others I just can't think of...right now...*

Mrbob

PC isn't factored when talking exclusives though. Only consoles are. Also those PC versions hit years after when not many people care anymore.

cvxfreak said:
DMC3 and Oni3 are on PC, so...

Which doesn't mean much. DMC has always been exclusive to Sony platforms. Even when Dante and other DMC characters appear in mutliplatform games they're exclusive to the Sony versions of those games.

rastex said:
Obviously.

But why not really?
I should have said not neccesarily. Oftentimes there is a contract in place to keep games completely exclusive to one console, so ports are often times not fair game at all.

X26

Banned
Odysseus said:
I would hope that every game not nailed down with a first party publishing contract goes multiplatform, and then even a few of those, too. Heck, port Halo 3 to PS3, for all I care. Multiplatformism should rise so multiconsolism can die. $400 for Xbox 360 and $600 for PS3 is about $700 (combined) too much to play games. If we can't have a one console future, then an "every game everywhere" strategy is a good enough alternative.

*mini-diatribe spurred by the multiconsole thread

I wish. A one cosnole future where Sony/MS/Nintendo team up would be godly

Majmun

X26 said:
I wish. A one cosnole future where Sony/MS/Nintendo team up would be godly

I'd expect that console to cost $1000.

I think all three consoles (X360,Wii and Ps3) would seperately cost much more if there was no competition around.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Last gen, good sales for Gamecube and Xbox games just meant a PS2 port was coming. Maybe they (many other japanese developers) figured, "If a game did that well on that small of a userbase, imagine what it'll on a much larger one." Unfortunately, that never seemed to happen going the other direction.

If Dead Rising really does well then expect a PS3 version. The 360 game's success won't mean more exclusive from Capcom, it'll just mean that the system won't be a shunned as the Xbox was by Capcom.

Speevy

Banned
JJConrad said:
Last gen, good sales for Gamecube and Xbox games just meant a PS2 port was coming. Maybe they (many other japanese developers) figured, "If a game did that well on that small of a userbase, imagine what it'll on a much larger one." Unfortunately, that never seemed to happen going the other direction.

If Dead Rising really does well then expect a PS3 version. The 360 game's success won't mean more exclusive from Capcom, it'll just mean that the system won't be a shunned as the Xbox was by Capcom.

Except, the PS3 won't have a "much larger" userbase than the 360 until at least <insert date when it won't matter if Lost Planet and Dead Rising are ported>

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Speevy said:
Except, the PS3 won't have a "much larger" userbase than the 360 until at least <insert date when it won't matter if Lost Planet and Dead Rising are ported>
True but they're going to bet on the PS3 first. If that doesn't work out, Capcom will go with Wii. If that doesn't work out, then PS2... then PSP... then DS...then GBA... and finally 360.

And in Japan the PS3 will have a larger userbase before the system launches jsut from broken street date sales.

Gigglepoo

Faizal said:
What are the Capcom PS3 exclusives that we know of at this point besides DMC4?

And, oh yeah...Believe!

The only next generation games they have announced are:

PS3 Action Project
DMC3
RE5
Monster Hunter 3
RE Wii
Dead Rising
Lost Planet

Six of those are exclusive.

Speevy

Banned
JJConrad said:
True but they're going to bet on the PS3 first. If that doesn't work out, Capcom will go with Wii. If that doesn't work out, then PS2... then PSP... then DS...then GBA... and finally 360.

Why would they do that? Japan? It certainly isn't 3rd party sales on Xbox platforms.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Speevy said:
Why would they do that? Japan? It certainly isn't 3rd party sales on Xbox platforms.
It would be Capcom sales on Xbox platforms. It would also be Capcom sales on Playstation and Nintendo platforms.

Speevy

Banned
JJConrad said:
It would be Capcom sales on Xbox platforms. It would also be Capcom sales on Playstation and Nintendo platforms.

Okay, well if Capcom wants to develop a next generation high budget game, there's only two options.

And Capcom sales on Nintendo platforms. I'd like to read about that. Capcom put Steel Battalion, Genma Onimusha, and a bunch of ports on the Xbox. Any M-rated game, especially Devil May Cry is far more suited to the Xbox 360 than any Nintendo platform.

Heck, I can't even believe you'd name the PSP.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Luckyman said:
Who says NG will be on 360.. :lol
itagaki.jpg

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Speevy said:
Okay, well if Capcom wants to develop a next generation budget game, there's only two options.

And Capcom sales on Nintendo platforms. I'd like to read about that. Capcom put Steel Battalion, Genma Onimusha, and a bunch of ports on the Xbox. Any M-rated game, especially Devil May Cry is far more suited to the Xbox 360 than any Nintendo platform.

Heck, I can't even believe you'd name the PSP.
As a japanese company, Capcom will look to the 360 last. They are placing their bets on the Playstation. As they did with the PSP over the DS, they will do with the PS3 over the 360 moreso. The 360 will never be their primary platform. If they think its benefitial to release Dead Rising on the PS3 then they will. However, when a PS3 title does exceptionally, don't count on a 360 version to follow. The best hope for the 360 is more multi-platform releases, not more exclusives or even ports .

I assume you meant "next generation big-budget game." You act as if companies aren't allowed to spend money making Wii games. Also remember that Capcom put Resident Evil exclusive to Gamecube and did fairly well with it. So an M-rating may not mean anything.

Speevy

Banned
I didn't say it would be their primary platform, but in terms of next generation games, it should be in consideration for these games. Xbox sales for nearly every third party publisher destroyed their Gamecube counterparts, and the demographic fits. Heck, this entire thread is about how Capcom is pleased with Dead Rising sales.

Given the choice between making a 360 version of <insert Capcom M-rated game> and a Wii version, well the results from this past generation speak for themselves.

C4Lukins

JJConrad said:
As a japanese company, Capcom will look to the 360 last. They are placing their bets on the Playstation. As they did with the PSP over the DS, they will do with the PS3 over the 360 moreso. The 360 will never be their primary platform. If they think its benefitial to release Dead Rising on the PS3 then they will. However, when a PS3 title does exceptionally, don't count on a 360 version to follow. The best hope for the 360 is more multi-platform releases, not more exclusives or even ports .

I assume you meant "next generation big-budget game." You act as if companies aren't allowed to spend money making Wii games. Also remember that Capcom put Resident Evil exclusive to Gamecube and did fairly well with it. So an M-rating may not mean anything.

So from the facts that Dead Rising is a 360 exclusive, Lost Planet (despite coming out after the release of the PS3) is a 360 exclusive, and Resident Evil is going to now be multiplatform, you were able to deduce that?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Speevy said:
I didn't say it would be their primary platform, but in terms of next generation games, it should be in consideration for these games. Xbox sales for nearly every third party publisher destroyed their Gamecube counterparts, and the demographic fits. Heck, this entire thread is about how Capcom is pleased with Dead Rising sales.

Given the choice between making a 360 version of <insert Capcom M-rated game> and a Wii version, well the results from this past generation speak for themselves.
Are you forgetting who this is? Not all 3rd party publishers did better on the Xbox than Gamecube. Most japanese publishers did better on Gamecube, including Capcom. Capcom has not been all that shy about putting M rated games on Nintendo systems. Don't throw out out blanket statements about demographics and 3rd party sales on Nintendo platforms when it does not apply to the company at hand.

Capcom is clearly testing the waters with these games. If they do well... GREAT!! However, this more likely means that Capcom won't completely scrapped the 360 version of RE5, than it does Capcom making a 360 version of DMC4. They still support the PSP over the DS and wouldn't port over their Mega Man X games to the GCN despite everything you said about 360 applying then. They tested the Xbox and brushed it off. They're testing the 360 now and may very well do the same. Even if they don't, you're setting yourself up for a let down be hoping for great support.

JJConrad said:
Capcom is clearly testing the waters with these games. If they do well... GREAT!! However, this more likely means that Capcom won't completely scrapped the 360 version of RE5, than it does Capcom making a 360 version of DMC4. They still support the PSP over the DS and wouldn't port over their Mega Man X games to the GCN despite everything you said about 360 applying then. They tested the Xbox and brushed it off. They're testing the 360 now and may very well do the same. Even if they don't, you're setting yourself up for a let down be hoping for great support.

Here's the big question. After spending huge nextgen dollars on creating assets from character models to textures and level designs and sound/music, along with other totally portable game elements like animation scripting, AI algorithms, and cutscenes, and you do the majority of your development on the PC, why on earth would you not port all of your 360 stuff to the PS3 and vice versa? In the absense of a moneyhat, of course.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
In the absense of a moneyhat, of course.

If there's no money hats involved then the games probably will be ported to other systems. But those will still be handed out and you'll still gets exclusives, including those from Capcom.

Oda

To me, it would make the most sense for Capcom to port Lost Planet to the PS3. I could see that game doing pretty good in Japan because of Byung Hun Lee's involvement, and the 360 unfortunately just doesn't have the installed base to allow that there. I'll be much more surprised if they don't port LP than if they don't port Dead Rising.

I think we might see a Lost Planet port first next year, around summer or so, and then, if they do decide to do a Dead Rising port as well, we'll see that in the fall, with some extras in the vein of Genma Onimusha or Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams on the Xbox.

jarrod

Banned
JJConrad said:

I don't think last gen sets up the best comparable dynamic for the coming one though. GameCube and Xbox didn't see most successful PS2 games ported mainly because their bases were a fifth the size... a better comparison for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 might be the relationship between MegaDrive/Genesis and Super Famicom/Super NES. Both dynamics showing compelling western competitors while one utterly fails in Japan.

Capcom, in particular among Japanese publishers, isn't going to ignore a strong western fanbase who's responded well to their wares. Their biggest games will again be multiplatform (SF2 meet RE5), but they'll still have targeted exclusives here and there. Dead Rising's performance though forecasts nothing but good for the platform in terms of Capcom's support, make no mistake. Sure it doesn't indicate PS3 will lose all it's exlcusives, but it hardly ensures 360 losing it's own either.

arne

beermonkey@tehbias said:
'Only on Xbox' or 'Only on 360' badging alone doesn't guarantee anything more than a timed exclusive and never has. The third-party games that say 'Only on 360' are likely tied up in agreements where the publisher/developer agree to not release a port for a year or so and to not talk about future ports for some other period. I wouldn't expect Capcom to confirm any Dead Rising port before January.

Actually you're wrong, I don't have the text of it handy (someone else posted it in a different thread) but the language of the "Only on Xbox 360" tag applies to total exclusives on the platform. Timed exclusives are not allowed to have the "Only on..." logo, it's actually in the branding language.

arne said:
Actually you're wrong, I don't have the text of it handy (someone else posted it in a different thread) but the language of the "Only on Xbox 360" tag applies to total exclusives on the platform. Timed exclusives are not allowed to have the "Only on..." logo, it's actually in the branding language.
That's what I thought as well.
Edit: Holy Shit that didn't help the discussion at all. I need some ****ing sleep.

Zonar

arne said:

[/endporttalk].

arne said:

I stand corrected. The 'Only on Xbox' tag was certainly different, there are at least two or three titles that went elsewhere after a period of time. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm assuming that the language would block something like 'Dead Rising: SE' with a larger mall.

Faizal

Banned
I would actually be disappointed if Dead Rising stays X360 exclusive. Nothing to do with fanboyism, it's just that I feel that this game is so good, it's a damn shame that more people won't be able to experience it.

Top Bottom