• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising may give 360 more Capcom-games?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
The success of Dead Rising is making Capcom consider of putting former exclusive PS3 games on the 360 as well..

First, a bit of Dead Risings performance:

According to the investment firm, Capcom shipped 320,000 copies of Dead Rising in its first week (the game launched August 8 in the US), and Capcom has forecasted shipments to reach 450,000 units by today. Based on the game's better-than-expected performance, NikkoCitiGroup upped its fiscal year (ending March 2007) shipment expectations for Dead Rising to 800,000 units from 660,000.

This initial success of Dead Rising outlines the increasingly important role of digitally downloaded demos. NikkoCitiGroup analyst Soichiro Fukuda wrote, "Robust Dead Rising sales suggest the establishment of a successful pattern for US marketing whereby trial version downloads stimulate interest and lead to stronger actual sales." Users downloaded around 300,000 Dead Rising demos over Xbox Live worldwide.

and the bit about other games on 360..

Fukuda speculated that the "healthy sales" of Xbox 360 titles may prompt Capcom to take currently PS3-exclusive titles multi-platform. He wrote, "If that happens, it will give the company a chance to make the most of its PC-based development program, which aims to enhance efficiency by utilizing PCs through the primary stages of development."

snip..

Fukuda commented further on Xbox 360/PS3 ports, saying, "Capcom will conduct the first 50–60 percent of the PS3 and Xbox 360 development process on PCs, only in the final stages using a development approach that is optimized for either the Xbox 360 or the PS3."

the rest is here..
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3658&Itemid=2
--------

If Dead Rising delivers around 800.000 units and if Lost Planet is in the neighbourhood of that, those are numbers that Capcom cannot neglect. Business-wise, it would make far far more sense to put at least DMC4 on both plattforms if the game is gonna be released next year, because during 2007, 360 will still have the biggest userbase of the two..

ethelred

Maximilian E. said:
The success of Dead Rising is making Capcom consider of putting former exclusive PS3 games on the 360 as well..

Misleading phrasing. Capcom hasn't stated anything; it's just an analyst speculating about what Capcom might/should do.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
ethelred said:
Misleading phrasing. Capcom hasn't stated anything; it's just an analyst speculating about what Capcom might/should do.

Granted that it is a speculation, but healthy sales are healthy sales.. if both DR and LP achieve near million numbers, then Capcom must seriously consider going more multiplatform. (it actually works both ways, DR and LP on PS3.. but there might be some exclusive contracts there with MS regarding those two games and the same might be with DMC4 for PS3)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MS should ask Capcom for an exclusive BoF, that'll help them in Japan.

Nothing is exclusive (forever) anymore when it comes to Capcom. I'm sure we'll also see Dead Rising and Lost Planet on the ps3 someday. As much as a DMC for 360.
Capcom is the new Ubisoft.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Funky Papa said:
Better wait till we see those sales, mmkay? I hope it sells well, but let's not go overboard.

There are lots of if, of course...

The main thing was that the ability to download demos was a good thing for the sales of DR..

I know exclusive games give people bragging rights, but it cheats gamers who only can afford 1 console:lol :( I would have Halo 3 coming for PS3 and Wii if i were in charge:D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
As gamers, Capcom making games for X360 is good news. It does not hurt anyone if they do this and I am glad to hear it. Way to go Dead Rising! And come on Lost Planet!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DenogginizerOS said:
As gamers, Capcom making games for X360 is good news. It does not hurt anyone if they do this and I am glad to hear it. Way to go Dead Rising! And come on Lost Planet!!
That's not exactly true...

As gamers, we are most likely to own both machines...right? Multiplatform releases almost always suffer for the sake of compatibility. Have to get it running on two different pieces of hardware? Better avoid using any sort of special techniques on either machine that could cause a problem on the other...

I hate multiplatform ports for this reason as it almost always has a negative impact on the final game. Exceptions? Usually those games with staggered release dates. Resident Evil 4 was designed for Gamecube, then ported. Splinter Cell was design for XBOX first and foremost and ported. MGS2 was designed for PS2, then ported.

Simultaneous release dates almost always results in technical issues. In particular, the framerate almost always takes a hit or becomes less stable.

Personally, I'd prefer if the exclusives for each machine were to stay exclusive...unless they go the RE4 route.

Solo

dark10x said:
I hate multiplatform ports for this reason as it almost always has a negative impact on the final game. Exceptions? MGS2 was designed for PS2, then ported.

I would think a 60FPS hound like yourself would not lump MGS2 into the "ports done right" category. The X-Box port left much to be desired.

pswii60

dark10x said:

As gamers, we are most likely to own both machines...right? Multiplatform releases almost always suffer for the sake of compatibility. Have to get it running on two different pieces of hardware? Better avoid using any sort of special techniques on either machine that could cause a problem on the other...

I hate multiplatform ports for this reason as it almost always has a negative impact on the final game. Exceptions? Usually those games with staggered release dates. Resident Evil 4 was designed for Gamecube, then ported. Splinter Cell was design for XBOX first and foremost and ported. MGS2 was designed for PS2, then ported.

Simultaneous release dates almost always results in technical issues. In particular, the framerate almost always takes a hit or becomes less stable.

Personally, I'd prefer if the exclusives for each machine were to stay exclusive...unless they go the RE4 route.

Both? Or all 3?

I will, yes, but I know a lot who won't mainly due to financial reasons. I think I'd one day rather have a standard console where publishers would be competing against each other rather than console manufacturers. It would save money and mean I wouldn't need a load of space wasted.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
dark10x said:

When consoles cost as much as they do for this next-generation, the numbers of multi-console owners will decrease and will not return to what they have been for at least a few years. Developers like Capcom, EA, and Ubisoft stand to make a lot more money making their products multi-console and this is a better business model for these firts few years. In a perfect world, the development for all systems would be equal and there would be no differences between the consoles. But you know this will not happen this gen. So, we have games like Metal Gear and Halo and Zelda exclusive to their consoles hopefully taking full advantage of the hardare and this is a good thing. But in Capcom's case, the time is now to make money and if Dead Rising and Lost Planet are any indication, I think they are doing great.

nightez

Banned
Nothing is exclusive with Capcom. I bet you even Resident Evil Wii will get ported to Xbox360 and PS3. And vice versa for Resi Evil 5.

slade

Striek said:
I wonder whether the success of Dead Rising on 360 will prompt Capcom to put it on the PS3?

I think Capcom would only release the games in Japan for PS3. Hopefully, they are import friendly.

It has been rather stupid of Capcom to not be the EA of Japan. They and Konami making games exclusive to one platform has been stupid. I think Dead Rising and Lost Planet should be on the PS3, and the same for the PS3 exclusive games on the Xbox 360. :)

Reilly

so, why wouldn't they also port these games (Dead Rising, Lost Planet etc...) to PS3 to maximize profits? They'd be selling even more Dead Rising if people cared about the 360 in Japan.

HocusPocus said:
It has been rather stupid of Capcom to not be the EA of Japan. They and Konami making games exclusive to one platform has been stupid. I think Dead Rising and Lost Planet should be on the PS3, and the same for the PS3 exclusive games on the Xbox 360. :)
I see it happening. The times of exclusive third party games are almost gone, developers can't afford to ignore one portion of the market.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
In Capcom and Konami's defense, for the past decade, the Playstation brand has dominated japan in such a way that it actually made financial sense to put all their eggs in that huge basket. If Wii does well over there and 360 does well over here, then those companies will likely be forced to make more multiplatform games than ever before.

gconsole

dark10x said:

Fukuda commented further on Xbox 360/PS3 ports, saying, "Capcom will conduct the first 50–60 percent of the PS3 and Xbox 360 development process on PCs, only in the final stages using a development approach that is optimized for either the Xbox 360 or the PS3."

open_mouth_ said:
In Capcom and Konami's defense, for the past decade, the Playstation brand has dominated japan in such a way that it actually made financial sense to put all their eggs in that huge basket. If Wii does well over there and 360 does well over here, then those companies will likely be forced to make more multiplatform games than ever before.
I think it will happen even if Sony stays dominant in japan. USA and European markets are now much bigger than japan, so they can't afford to stay exclusive to a platform only because it dominates their home.

GhaleonEB

dark10x said:

I've been gaming since the Atari days, and I've NEVER had more than one active system in my house at a time. My family was pretty low income, and I'm not exactly raking it in for my family now. As a one-console gamer, I want that system to have good support. If killer exclusives help drive the installed base of that system, then I will ultimately get even more games. I'm happy. That's the side that gets me labled a fanboi.

The flip side is I want great games to be played by as many people as possible. I'd love for Oblivion to stay 360 exclusive so people will buy the system to play it (non-PC gamers that is), but it's so ****ing awesome I kinda hope it makes it to the PS3 so even more people will play it.

Cognitive dissonance. It's a bitch.

Drek

slade said:
I think Capcom would only release the games in Japan for PS3. Hopefully, they are import friendly.
Now what sense does that possibly make? The game has shown strong sales in the U.S. and nothing in Japan. While the former could well be due to poor X360 sales it would still be completely idiotic of Capcom to release an already translated game in just the one region it hasn't proven strong sales potential.

open_mouth_ said:
Wii/360 multiplatform strategy? Then devs can't really port back and forth can they? You just hit on why Capcom and Konami will still direct most of their major support to the PS3, as will Square Enix, Namco, Sega, and every other company with a vested interest in both U.S. and Japanese sales potential. If the PS3 fails then the Wii will take Japan and the 360 will take the U.S., potentially dividing Europe. You can't exactly straight port a game from one to the other, and they'll both require full dev equipment for each as opposed to what this article mentions Capcom is currently doing, PC deving the first 50/60 percent of a game before then making it platform specific.

Am I the only one who gets this? Sony will always have the Japanese 3rd parties' loyalty because they give all three major markets. Microsoft can't give them Japan and Nintendo hasn't had a major foothold in the U.S. for almost a decade now. Sony butters their [the 3rd parties] bread, until someone steps up and shows cross region dominance to match that isn't going to change.

shuri

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I've been gaming since the Atari days, and I've NEVER had more than one active system in my house at a time. My family was pretty low income, and I'm not exactly raking it in for my family now.
Didnt you just say in the OT that you were in Malaysia for Intel for a few weeks...??

gconsole said:

With this being the case, especially with XNA, taking the games to the 360 as well makes perfect sense with the reduced cost.

Azih

make the most of its PC-based development program, which aims to enhance efficiency by utilizing PCs through the primary stages of development.
Wait a minute, most Japanes companies DON'T use PCs through the primary stages of development?

Chi-Town

Anecdotal evidence(regarding sales)...

Major Nelson released the weekly top games on Xbox Live(which includes Live Aware games)for the week of August 7th.

1. Halo 2(Xbox)
2. Call of Duty 2(Xbox 360)
3. Dead Rising(Xbox 360)

The demo is number 10.

shpankey

not an idiot
Zenith said:
They're already making Lost Planet and RE5 for it. What more do you want?
everything. they have the Midas touch right now. seriously. i wan't what the **** ever Capcom is making.

jimbo

Banned
Devil May Cry 360 would be nice, but as long as it gets Resident Evil, that's what I care most about from Capcom. More new IP's like Dead Rising would be nice.

Top Bottom