• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I like the minutiae of the game

3DA96D789FCBC267CF19823BE038FB80D144E957

40A6F8DC0EC9B99261EC501D212ABF21D17FEF9E

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looking at your benches, and other people's benches with GTX 500 series and below...I'm a bit confused. I'm getting over 2.5x the performance with my GTX 680...don't think it should be such a drastic difference compared to your GTX 570. Are your drivers up to date?

Maybe the BETA drivers make a big difference...or maybe the GTX 600 series has some unknown advantage in this game.

I'm downloading the latest beta drivers at this very moment, so I'll give them a whirl and post the results. I'll also disable vsync.

JordanKZ

My poor old Radeon HD 5850 needs an upgrade... I don't think it's going to do so well with this one.

Why isn't the 660 Ti out yet? T_T

remnant

Banned
before the second round of "everyone show off their PC penis" can we get some impressions of the game, maybe how good is the hand to hand combat with a KB&M?

Karak

is it fun?

I have already beat it and am returning to play again.

Ya its pretty damn fun.

I wrote up some impression a couple days ago. All in all a very good game.
Quick summary after beating it.

Cool world
Great voice acting
Some fun missions
LOTS of total missions if you did them all. Far more than I could count.
Interesting story
Driving was ok to good
Fighting was just ok. Wasn't bad wasn't amazing, it was fun but ok. Lots of moves, some issues with how the character controls, collision detection, but nothing that breaks the banks.
Its not like batman really except for the counter. Its more its own game with some falls here and there.

Only 3-6 total bugs experienced.

360 version for maybe 2-5 hours than the PS3 version to completion.

So, besides these benchmarks and such, how is the actual game?
Above

As for the combat,

aside for the counter system which is straight out of Batman (and hence really easy) it's basically a simpler version of Yakuza; even has HEAT attacks. I do like how Wei can die after like 3 hits.

VashTS

Stayed in that stream for 3 hours and managed to piss off/keep awake my gf trying to get a code....leh sigh. I guess GW2 will have to do until steam summer sale next year.

KePoW

Banned
before the second round of "everyone show off their PC penis" can we get some impressions of the game, maybe how good is the hand to hand combat with a KB&M?

I've played about 30 minutes of the game so far, and it's very fun. As most people know by now, the melee combat is like Batman (which is how all melee combat should be). It's not quite as smooth as Arkham City's combat, but it's as close as any other game has done it.

As others have implied though, the KB/M controls feel a little wonky. It's definitely better with a 360 controller for your PC.

remnant

Banned
I've played about 30 minutes of the game so far, and it's very fun. As most people know by now, the melee combat is like Batman (which is how all melee combat should be). It's not quite as smooth as Arkham City's combat, but it's as close as any other game has done it.

As others have implied though, the KB/M controls feel a little wonky. It's definitely better with a 360 controller for your PC.

uhh I was hoping they would optimize it for PC considering how much work they put into it.

hittman

Banned
I have already beat it and am returning to play again.

Ya its pretty damn fun.

I wrote up some impression a couple days ago. All in all a very good game.
Quick summary after beating it.

Cool world
Great voice acting
Some fun missions
LOTS of total missions if you did them all. Far more than I could count.
Interesting story
Driving was ok to good
Fighting was just ok. Wasn't bad wasn't amazing, it was fun but ok. Lots of moves, some issues with how the character controls, collision detection, but nothing that breaks the banks.
Its not like batman really except for the counter. Its more its own game with some falls here and there.

Only 3-6 total bugs experienced.

360 version for maybe 2-5 hours than the PS3 version to completion.

Above
the guy above says its like batman, then you say its not... can somebody clarify?
i lvoed the batman combat, because it seems like you never did the same counter twice, there was such a vast array of animations. from what ive seen in this game its punch punch roundhouse, which looks a bit shitty but not enough for me to not buy it

Smash88

Banned
Everyone has their own tastes.

I'm going to try both Keyboard + Mouse and 360 Controller. Since there isn't a lot of shooting in this game, from what I've seen in previews, I might go 360 controller all the way.

Also just use Normal AA unless you've got some ridiculous setup, I was chugging after the game let me loose in the world but after I set it to normal I get a pretty stable average of 60 fps on a GTX 570 @ 1080p.

Karak

the guy above says its like batman, then you say its not... can somebody clarify?
i lvoed the batman combat, because it seems like you never did the same counter twice, there was such a vast array of animations. from what ive seen in this game its punch punch roundhouse, which looks a bit shitty but not enough for me to not buy it

Sure.
Its got a counter button like batman so everyone says its just like batman. But its more "The Warriors" than Batman in the camera, the movement and execution. Or Yakuza. But its not bad either way.
It IS punch punch punch kick for awhile but you buy a shitton of upgrades that make it far more than that. But at first it can feel VERY closed off in combat I would say the first 2-3 hours before you start getting shit. Then its fine and during that time you are also getting into the story so its not that noticeable.
Basically by the time I beat it I felt pretty good with the fighting system it just takes a bit to make you feel like you are originally set up as in the starting. A badass. You don't really start that...bad assy.
Speaking specifically to counters. You will know what counter you are doing as specific attacks from specific directions elicit 1 of 2 counters for that particular move. No surprises. I would say a handful of counters total.
IMHO.

golem

I think he means the controls. Its a little clunky with KB/M but manageable since my sis has run off with my Xbox usb controller..

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like how you change target objectives in the open world by left clicking analog stick. No need to go in the map menu and set up a waypoint to other objectives

hittman

Banned
Sure.
Its got a counter button like batman so everyone says its just like batman. But its more "The Warriors" than Batman in the camera, the movement and execution. Or Yakuza. But its not bad either way.
It IS punch punch punch kick for awhile but you buy a shitton of upgrades that make it far more than that. But at first it can feel VERY closed off in combat I would say the first 2-3 hours before you start getting shit. Then its fine and during that time you are also getting into the story so its not that noticeable.

IMHO.

cool, how's the parkour?

Is anyone else having issues with stuttering?

I've got 2 7970s and my FPS is fine, even with everything maxed, but the game is jerky regardless of settings or Vsync. I'm guessing it's a driver issue, but I want to make sure it isn't an issue with the engine before I start messing with things.

Karak

cool, how's the parkour?

Honestly.
Its not what you expect. I don't want to ding the game, I liked it enough to buy it twice and return to it. But the parkour has a specific millisecond delay at times so its not as fluid as I think you might assume.

BUT I do admit I laughed for a couple hours just sliding across store owners desks haahahaha.
Its NOT a big part of the game at all. Its just a way to clear and the way the button set is mapped and when you hit it compared to where you are(object collision detection) it could have been a bit cleaner in its timing. That and the characters lack of detail in faces are the only 2 things that I really felt a bit let down on but not enough to impact enjoyment. Just noticeable.

The game is more than the sum of its parts. Though there are some things that will probably bother everyone, it comes together as a really enjoyable title despite that. Moreso than many other games that APPEAR to have better devs/cost of creation.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
My poor old Radeon HD 5850 needs an upgrade... I don't think it's going to do so well with this one.

Why isn't the 660 Ti out yet? T_T

You dont want a 660Ti you want a 670.
The 660Ti isnt the bang for buck card everyone thought it was going to be.
Probably a 660 or 650 will fill the void that was the 560ti.

Do they make 50" screens that run higher than 1080p without breaking the bank?
50" at 1080 thats 44.06 PPI jesus, i cant imagine playing PC games on that.
Unless i was sitting a 100 miles away.

Anyway, i havent seen any 1440p+ screens at anywhere near 50".
Game looks pretty damn good on PC with the texture pack. It's no GTA IV ICE mod or whatever, but it's pretty good.

We just have to wait for ENB for Sleeping Dogs, thats going to be hectic.
I havent had a chance to actually play this game as im going retail, but are there any real time reflections?

Karak

As quick as ENB start coming out for some games, I bet one comes out soon.
Also SMAA should work with this for those that like that.

ekim

Someone in europe able to play? I think about getting a key and activate via VPN though I know it's not allowed. :eek: Or what if someone gifts me the US version? Could I play then?

Top Bottom