• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's software brilliance still isn't enough ( gamesindustry.biz )

meta4

This is the key for me.

Making a bunch of mediocre to ok games with small chunks of super fans doesn't mean the software is brilliant.

Basically every disc based franchise Sony makes has a much more polished third party game in the same genre.

Some of the PSN stuff I could see being called brilliant and original even if many of the more well liked games on Gaf aren't my cup of tea.

But thats true of any of the big three. 90% of Nintendo's output is borderline crap. Microsoft's got a few good ones but most are forgettable. I can count in one hand good Wii games.

Triple U

Banned
Sony has some of the most critically acclaimed games out this gen, yet they only range from "mediocre to ok". I know people are entitled to there opinions but man...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
article's main concern is correct, but maybe they should also ask if such brilliant (in theory) titles will appeal to the masses. That's Sony's big issue and will always be, along with pricing.

But at least they're trying

But thats true of any of the big three. 90% of Nintendo's output is borderline crap. Microsoft's got a few good ones but most are forgettable. I can count in one hand good Wii games.

wow, what?

Hindle

Banned
Then you could have just said Uncharted 2, LBP and God of War 3 are all average at best. Would sound ridiculous and you'd probably be mocked but as you say, you don't put much faith in Metacritic.

God of war 3 was average, there have been way better action games released this gen. imo of course.UC 2 was an ok game, just way overhyped. LBP yea Sony deserve praise for that, it took balls to make a game like it. Not my kind of thing personally but I respect them for doing it.

Edit The metacritic debate is best served for another time.

Audioboxer

All of those wasted paragraphs when they can just say "Sony needs to lower their hardware prices".

Pretty much.

Isn't everyone always going to want lower hardware prices?

We'll get some sort of cut when the new model arrives, I think everyone can hold out to TGS or later in the year, Gamescom was about software and it delivered.

Age of a product/device doesn't always correlate directly to price, something can be "old" but still retain enough inner value to warrant it's pricetag. I do not believe the PS3 is badly priced as it stands, there's just simply always going to be an audience of people who want it cheaper.

meta4

article's main concern is correct, but maybe they should also ask if such brilliant (in theory) titles will appeal to the masses. That's Sony's big issue and will always be, along with pricing.

But at least they're trying

wow, what?

wow, what? See that is what is called opinion just like the statement I made. Yes I think most of Nintendo's first party efforts have been mediocre save for a few gems here and there. Just like any other company.

What the..

They have been the most pro consumer out of the big three this gen.

LOL...Sony's in this business for the money just like Nintendo & Microsoft are. Plus go phone their customer service with a certain problem with your system. I'm sure that they're very nice people, too.

Threads like this just make me SMH. Some of you (meaning a lot of you) are way too attached to one particular company. It's now considered trolling to have a opinion on a product you own? Amazing. Also why do you care if someone has a negative opinion on the Almighty Sony? Do you work for them? Do have have shares in them? Or are you just a child? If a company does right by me, I don't care that's their job, that's what they are supposed to do. I don't become their white knights and viral marketing fanboys.

Every thread lately this happens. What's wrong with you people?

I agree with this. It's just stupid.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
wow, what? See that is what is called opinion just like the statement I made. Yes I think most of Nintendo's first party efforts have been mediocre save for a few gems here and there. Just like any other company.

I didn't give any opinion, I haven't played them because, you know, they aren't out yet

Shikoro

Jesus Christ people!

Why don't you all just bring back your Sony Defense Force avatars and get it over with.
This shit is getting beyond annoying.

"Oh, no something negative is posted about Sony! Let's all cling together and attack everyone and everything we don't like in the name of our lord and saviour!"

SMH

It's annoying because we've been through all of this in at least 5 threads already, in just this week alone. Everyone's starting to sound like a parrot, asking for hardware price drops and lower game prices, better games exposure (marketing) and whatnot. And all of this won't change a thing if Sony doesn't have the money or possibility to do so...

God of war 3 was average, there have been way better action games released this gen. imo of course.UC 2 was an ok game, just way overhyped. LBP yea Sony deserve praise for that, it took balls to make a game like it. Not my kind of thing personally but I respect them for doing it.

Edit The metacritic debate is best served for another time.

Right. You must wonder why they get such critical acclaim and have millions of fans then.

DocSeuss

I'm a bit baffled by the headline, as Sony's predominant weakness has always been software. Their first-party games have rarely been particularly exceptional, and then there's simple stuff like the UI (lol trophy syncing and psn store) that they do really poorly.

Great hardware, but software's definitely not their strength.

GT5 did not outsell Gears in America and Uncharted in America is NOWHERE near Gears. Don't know what crack you're smoking to even suggest such a thing.

I don't care about discussing Europe, as I know Sony does do better there. But there's something with their games that are just not appealing to America.

Limiting to only America, People really work hard in these Sony threads as of late.

meppi

I will admit that I've been feeding the trolls in a sense but its pretty fucking annoying to see the same group of posters trying to shit up and downplay anything that comes from a certain company.

I'll give you that. But how is that any different from the exact same group that goes into every single 3DS or WiiU thread to stir up shit and turn them into a power debate every single time.
Or for that matter the same ones that go into Xbox threads posting snark remarks about the system not having any exclusives. i.e. XBLA doesn't count and everything else is on the superior PC platform.

edit: Just noticed this same shit is going on in this very thread now as well. So predictable.

I don't see the Sony Smash Bros thread getting derailed by Microsoft/Nintendo fans, every 2 or 3 posts, yet go into the Zombie U thread, the Pikmin one or Rayman thread and you'll see nothing but downplaying either the game itself, the graphic, the exclusivity of the game or something else completely like straight up port begging or "informed" opinions about how certain games should not be bought on the system as they are bound to come to the PS3 eventually.

It's not so much the Sony defense force that annoys me, it's the same people who wave that banner and shit up threads they have no business in time and time again, that gets under my skin.

I'll give you that. But how is that any different from the exact same group that goes into every single 3DS or WiiU thread to stir up shit and turn them into a power debate every single time.
Or for that matter the same ones that go into Xbox threads posting snark remarks about the system not having any exclusives. i.e. XBLA doesn't count and everything else is on the superior PC platform.

edit: Just noticed this same shit is going on in this very thread now as well. So predictable.

I don't see the Sony Smash Bros thread getting derailed by Microsoft/Nintendo fans, every 2 or 3 posts, yet go into the Zombie U thread, the Pikmin one or Rayman thread and you'll see nothing but downplaying either the game itself, the graphic, the exclusivity of the game or something else completely like straight up port begging or "informed" opinions about how certain games should not be bought on the system as they are bound to come to the PS3 eventually.

It's not so much the Sony defense force that annoys me, it's the same people who wave that banner and shit up threads they have no business in time and time again, that gets under my skin.

Exactly. Sony fanboys don't like it when people talk shit about them & their products, but they always talk shit about competitors & their systems (such as Wii U, by constantly derailing the Wii U threads into graphics & power discussions. Microsoft fans are also guilty in this, too).

Maxrunner

It's annoying because we've been through all of this in at least 5 threads already, in just this week alone. Everyone's starting to sound like a parrot, asking for hardware price drops and lower game prices, better games exposure (marketing) and whatnot. And all of this won't change a thing if Sony doesn't have the money or possibility to do so...

That's small compared to the "Nintendo is doomed since 19xx" threads....

I know it's your opinion but i highly doubt UC2 will EVER be looked back on in the same light that OoT is. What exactly did the game innovate? Becoming more like a movie? Witty dialogue? Automated platforming?

Uncharted games are wonderful spectacles, but I don't think they'll be remembered as fondly as the aforementioned classics or titles like Deus Ex and Half-Life 2. Not to take anything away from what talented people at Naughty Dog have accomplished, but as far as this generation goes, Wii Sports will be remembered as a more significant and influential game, Gears of War will be remembered as a more influential and significant game, and of course, COD4 will be remembered as a far more significant and influential game. Maybe even LittleBigPlanet.

Spiegel

Uncharted games are wonderful spectacles, but I don't think they'll be remembered as fondly as the aforementioned classics or titles like Deus Ex and Half-Life 2. Not to take anything away from what talented people at Naughty Dog have accomplished, but as far as this generation goes, Wii Sports will be remembered as a more significant and influential game, Gears of War will be remembered as a more influential and significant game, and of course, COD4 will be remembered as a far more significant and influential game. Maybe even LittleBigPlanet.

Did you miss this past E3?

12VXF.png

Exactly. Sony fanboys don't like it when people talk shit about them & their products, but they always talk shit about competitors & their systems (such as Wii U, by constantly derailing the Wii U threads into graphics & power discussions. Microsoft fans are also guilty in this, too).

damn sony fans, always shitting up threads. i knew it was them!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Sony's biggest problems have always been related to their internal decision making and management. That mission statement is really important because it recognizes that the problems lies within the company. On top of that, I don't really think Sony has any idea where they stand, what their identity is in the games market.

You have Microsoft being the hardware company that provides excellent multimedia features with the most robust online experience on the console market. On top of that, they get all the third party games and most of the time, get exclusive content first.

Then you have Nintendo which has classic Nintendo franchises on a console that's affordable and provides a differentiating factor in terms of hardware, that alters the way you play games (post-2004).

What is Sony's specific strength? Sure, you could say the PS3 having a blu-ray player pushes their console even more a multimedia box than the 360, however with the way content is becoming more readily available via stream services, I'm not sure how much that matters in the long run. I love my blu-rays, but a lot of people just prefer to stream that stuff now. Sony does have a lot of content, but I feel like a lot of of those key titles don't meet sales potential and that's pretty disappointing. I think they've just yet to find a first party title that can be their Halo or their Mario. They need something that's a key Sony IP. I'm not sure how well Uncharted has done sales wise, but I don't think that has enough mass market appeal to be a Halo or a Mario. Maybe Killzone can fill that void? I honestly haven't been following Sony software sales so I don't know.

I think Sony's inability to identify their specific niche on the market coupled with their poor decision making has factored into their stumbling block over the years. That's not to say the content they provide is poor, because it isn't. It's the fact that they try to do too much. You can't do everything everyone else is doing. Focus on what you do better than the competition to give yourself a competitive advantage!

meta4

The funny thing is that he has probably not even played a single Wii title.

Yeah. It is entirely possible to think Sony's first party efforts are not good but oh no everyone has to love great Nintendo titles like the last story, Wii sports and other such mediocre titles. Lol.Funny thing is I doubt you have played them as well.

mujun

I will admit that I've been feeding the trolls in a sense but its pretty fucking annoying to see the same group of posters trying to shit up and downplay anything that comes from a certain company.

So the same thing isn't happening in threads with MS or Nintendo news? Perhaps you are overly sensitive/defensive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aren't they roughly price comparable to MS these days? So this isn't a Sony-exclusive problem. I'm just not sure we'll ever see these machines at the prices we had in previous generations, they are just too complex

DocSeuss

GT5 did not outsell Gears in America and Uncharted in America is NOWHERE near Gears. Don't know what crack you're smoking to even suggest such a thing.

I don't care about discussing Europe, as I know Sony does do better there. But there's something with their games that are just not appealing to America.

This is gonna be a somewhat controversial opinion... buuuuut... ALTERNATIVE THEORY DEVIL'S ADVOCATE TIME ASSAULT GO

What if it's got to do with Europe's pretty big bias against the Xbox? Several of my European friends have said that the states of things in Europe are generally pretty pro-Playstation or PC as opposed to Xbox. Obviously, anecdotal evidence isn't as valuable as statistical evidence, but I think it's a point of view worth considering.

If this is the case, and Europe is just biased against Microsoft (not counting Great Britain, which seems pretty positive towards the Xbox brand) and/or biased towards the Playstation... well, you'd see PS exclusives do better in Europe as opposed to Xbox exclusives.

In America, where there's no particular bias against Microsoft, perhaps then it comes down to the quality of the games, where Microsoft kinda easily comes out on top.

Forza is just a better driving game than GT5 (GT5 is the better sim, mind you, but sims and consoles aren't exactly best buds), Uncharted's gameplay is really weak, with poorly designed levels and boring weapons, as opposed to Gears' genre-defining gameplay (Gears 1, which I'm playing now, is horrible, though), and Halo pretty easily holds off Resistance and Killzone when it comes to first person shooter design.

Honestly, if games like Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo weren't exclusives, I don't think they'd have the reception they've got as exclusives. Contrast this with Forza, which got me into driving games, Halo, which defined shooter design on consoles (and has some of the best AI in shooters, period), and Gears of War, which spawned countless imitators.

I don't think Sony's exclusives have the strength to contend with Microsoft's, and the reason they don't do well in America is because America doesn't have a latent anti-Microsoft or Pro-Sony bias.

Again, this is me being the devil's advocate and all that. Could be totally off-base.

That's ridiculous. Conceptually, Uncharted is mostly a patchwork of ideas lifted from earlier games (and films). Tomb Raider is supposed to be inspired by Uncharted now? Maybe in a bizarro world.

Well, take a peek in any recent Tomb Raider gameplay thread and see which game is being brought. It's not being brought up by Sony fans, it's being brought up by TR fans that are frustrated that the game doesn't look like TR.

What if it's got to do with Europe's pretty big bias against the Xbox? Several of my European friends have said that the states of things in Europe are generally pretty pro-Playstation or PC as opposed to Xbox. Obviously, anecdotal evidence isn't as valuable as statistical evidence, but I think it's a point of view worth considering.

If this is the case, and Europe is just biased against Microsoft (not counting Great Britain, which seems pretty positive towards the Xbox brand) and/or biased towards the Playstation... well, you'd see PS exclusives do better in Europe as opposed to Xbox exclusives.

In America, where there's no particular bias against Microsoft, perhaps then it comes down to the quality of the games, where Microsoft kinda easily comes out on top.

What if there's a pro-Microsoft, anti-Sony bias in the US? I wouldn't know, I don't live there (I do live in Europe, though, and your friends are correct), but you shouldn't be writing off whole markets based on such presumptions.

Eideka

Banned
Uncharted's gameplay is really weak, with poorly designed levels and boring weapons, as opposed to Gears' genre-defining gameplay (Gears 1, which I'm playing now, is horrible, though), and Halo pretty easily holds off Resistance and Killzone when it comes to first person shooter design.
I definitely agree regarding Halo being better than Resistance/Killzone, but Uncharted's gameplay is not poor, at least the first two games were solid in that department. However Uncharted 3 is a letdown. The guplay is not on par with Gears's that's true.

Honestly, if games like Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo weren't exclusives, I don't think they'd have the reception they've got as exclusives.
Very true. Although the same applies with pretty much any exclusive games, they have a special status because of this.

I don't think Sony's exclusives have the strength to contend with Microsoft's, and the reason they don't do well in America is because America doesn't have a latent anti-Microsoft or Pro-Sony bias.
Hum, I can't agree with this. You seem to discard the intrinsic qualities of Sony's first party games.

That's ridiculous. Conceptually, Uncharted is mostly a patchwork of ideas lifted from earlier games (and films). Tomb Raider is supposed to be inspired by Uncharted now? Maybe in a bizarro world.

Its entirely true that Uncharted was inspired by a lot of games. Its also entirely possible that after Uncharted's success, developers of the games that inspired Uncharted liked what they did and have shifted some of their focus to building upon Uncharted's style.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There's definitely some Sony downfalls and errors but their software is definitely varied and solid. I would put them higher than Nintendo in terms of the big 3. Or at least on par. Microsoft isn't even in the discussion.

Other than that, good points and some I can't agree with but on the overall, Sony is arguably the only one who continues to try and push new ideas and that's saying something as PS3 is its twilight years now.

I don't see why something can't be derivative of something that was in itself also derivative.

Notwithstanding that pretty much everything is derivative anyway these days.

wildfire

Banned
Sony's problem isn't software. Sony's problem is Sony.

Sony had a software problem. Their recent announcements at Gamescom actually made the Vita attractive for once but the price is a huge barrier as this article correctly identifies.

wow, what?

Keep in mind he is talking about the console and not the publisher. Nintendo dominates the 10% of the games that are good on the Nintendo platform.

Well, take a peek in any recent Tomb Raider gameplay thread and see which game is being brought. It's not being brought up by Sony fans, it's being brought up by TR fans that are frustrated that the game doesn't look like TR.

It's a reboot, and although certain people may find some similarities to Uncharted in some elements, the series neither pioneered nor popularized them. Naughty Dog has very deftly executed on a number of ideas, and Uncharted games' technical excellence is indisputable, but from the design (and narrative) perspective there's very little there that hasn't been done countless times before.

Personally, the only game at this E3 that reminded me of Uncharted, and not the games that inspired it, was The Last of Us, and the reasons for that are obvious (well, there's also that Adventurer FPS...).

It's incorrect because of one series? And I never said that Sony doesn't care about the sales of America. I'm just pointing out that they're a global company. The sales in Europe and Japan matter just as much to them as those in America. Why do you think that they just put so much effort into their gamescom show, which was specifically for European audiences, while the other manufacturers couldn't be bothered to do shit? They'll put the same effort into their TGS show, which is another place where they'll probably be alone as far as other manufacturers go.

Nintendo doesn't show up to TGS but they dominate Japan. Being at a show loke this means nothing in the big picture. Nintendo proves this hands down.

I think Sony's first party line up is going to be even better next gen. I think they have learned a lot this gen (aka don't put your faith in certain developers like Factor 5 or Ninja Theory). I personally cannot wait to see SSM's new IP. PS3 was an amazing system! A lot of great games next year too, so I am happy with my purchase.

Forza is just a better driving game than GT5 (GT5 is the better sim, mind you, but sims and consoles aren't exactly best buds),

This really doesn't make sense considering that GT outsells all other sim racers in every territory. So, it's just not a European thing. You saw that sims and console don't go together, but GT seems to be that exception. They've always targeted that market and it works for them.

It's a reboot, and although certain people may find some similarities to Uncharted in some elements, the series neither pioneered nor popularized them. Naughty Dog has very deftly executed on a number of ideas, and Uncharted games' technical excellence is indisputable, but from the design (and narrative) perspective there's very little there that hasn't been done countless times before.

But they hadn't been done with the same level of polish that Uncharted did them at. It's never about doing it first or else you wouldn't be be crediting Gears as being innovative since it certainly wasn't the first one to use its cover system. But it was the first to do it really well and make it a success. Uncharted in particular excelled at taking traditional cutscene sequences and placing them in an actual gameplay setting. How many games would've had that hotel destruction sequence as a cutscene or a QTE? Yet they figured out a way to give you control over Drake during it. You see that in other games now.

And you really didn't look at Star Wars 1313 and see Uncharted all over it? You'd be one of the few that didn't.

Top Bottom