• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Oct WiiU Info (NSMBU/NintendoLand) [Don't Post Scans, Even Digital Ones]

zroid

Banned
Except they aren't...

Most of them seem to be fully featured games. Hell this thread is about the Metroid Blast game, which we can at least see 3 different maps, and like 3 different game types.

I can't believe it, but I might actually buy this if it's standalone. Seems like it's going to be really damn fun and creative.

Have you guys watched gameplay videos of this game ? It does not in any way feel like a sequel to Super Mario World. It feels like every other New Super Mario games, but in HD; I don't care how they spin it. Those games felt like extensions of the original Super Mario Bros. and its sequel, The Lost Levels. Even SMB3 had more developed, complex and elaborate gameplay than every NSMB games. This one does not seem any different.

Don't be fooled. It will still be a fun game, but do not call this Super Mario World. It's not.
Yeah, I feel the same way. This is very much still NSMB with some nods to SMW, rather than a spiritual successor to SMW, in the same way NSMBWii made some nods to SMB3.

I hope they break out of the NSMB feel, and it looks like they might be trying to do so, but I wouldn't expect NSMW.

zroid

Banned
MONTY effing MOLE!

GIMME!!!! thanks for posting those (which I definitely didn't know may have been scans >_> )

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it looks really nice, though I'm still unsold on what ever kind of blur based AA they're using, unless that's just an artifact of whoever tore those out of the magazine.

And yes, don't post those here. :p

zroid

Banned
Monty Mole was actually in NSMBWii as well, unless you saw Mega Mole in which case we can really get this party started.

Man, I really need to finish NSMBW. Played most of it, but all co-op, and we were just blitzing it so I barely remember anything about the game that matters (aside from the fact that it's really damn fun with 4 players).

Don't worry, it's pretty hard to tell they're scans these days since Game Informer went digital.
Maybe it's time for GAF policy to get reviewed? It would be nice, at the least, to let people link to second-hand sources that have scans.

I understand wanting to support the industry, but in this case, IGN has the pictures up. It seems a bit pointless to restrict linking to an IGN article.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe it's time for GAF policy to get reviewed? It would be nice, at the least, to let people link to second-hand sources that have scans.

I understand wanting to support the industry, but in this case, IGN has the pictures up. It seems a bit pointless to restrict linking to an IGN article.

That was a link to IGN's forum, not IGN itself.

When Assassin's Creed 3 went to every major website and Game Informer didn't seem to care we stopped fighting it, but we believe in protecting IP in reasonable ways. So, if Game Informer manages to keep images off of the major websites (barring their forums or something that might not yet be moderated), we're not going to allow scans here.

That was a link to IGN's forum, not IGN itself.

When Assassin's Creed 3 went to every major website and Game Informer didn't seem to care we stopped fighting it, but we believe in protecting IP in reasonable ways. So, if Game Informer manages to keep images off of the major websites (barring their forums or something that might not yet be moderated), we're not going to allow scans here.
Understood.

RagnarokX

Yeah, I feel the same way. This is very much still NSMB with some nods to SMW, rather than a spiritual successor to SMW, in the same way NSMBWii made some nods to SMB3.

I hope they break out of the NSMB feel, and it looks like they might be trying to do so, but I wouldn't expect NSMW.
The guy you quoted said that NSMB game levels feel like SMB1 levels and that SMB3 was more complex than all of them, which is flat out false. I don't get the nostalgia for SMW since overall the levels were very easy and for the most part the backgrounds were as lackluster as NSMB's. NSMBWii takes nods from both SMB3 AND SMW and combines them into something great, best of both worlds.

Saw the screenshots

Super Mario World 2 is alive

image.php

The info sounds good, the pics look quite underwhelming again. Admittedly though, they pretty much chose the worst screens possible (Mostly caves). Was expecting a glimpse of the proper worlds, but I guess it's also good since I don't need to spoil myself when this series finally adds in some minor new shid.

Slightly OT but where is this image from? I remember there was a gba emulator with a similar logo. Is that it?

It's from the actual Super Mario World 2.

Triton55

Calling the 3DS game New Super Mario Bros. 3 and then this New Super Mario World would made too much sense.

I guess their reason for not doing that would be that then people would expect every costume from those games to make an appearance, but those names would have generated way more hype.

NateDrake

Calling the 3DS game New Super Mario Bros. 3 and then this New Super Mario World would made too much sense.

I guess their reason for not doing that would be that then people would expect every costume from those games to make an appearance, but those names would have generated way more hype.

NMSB started on the DS, so 3DS gets NSMB2. I think the NSMB line may have its # entries on Nintendo handhelds, while console versions will be "Wii/U/etc" titles instead.

orioto

Good Art™
You can tell from the screens that the assets are not that bad, but the whole thing looks cheap mainly cause of how the background assets are used repetitively. It's really like those mario games from Nintendo are done only by level designers, there is nobody directing them, they're just on their own..

Reading Game Informer, gives me a slightly different impression from the information that's posted in the OP regarding the map.

"The SNES classic occasionally breaks from the large map to zoom in on areas like cookie dome or Forest of Illusion, but this new map can be panned around in its entirety and seamlessly explored at any time. It's a great departure from recent games in the series, which typically feature segmented worlds with the occasional branching path. Going beyond branching paths, New Super Mario Bros U presents fans with a choice they've never had in a 2D Mario title. Deciding which path you want to go down is much more than choosing between 2-3 and 2-4. At certain points, you're presented with several choices on which world you want to explore next. If you don't feel like tackling a Water based world, feel free to knock out a few forest levels before you swim with the Bloopers."

Pretty impressed.. I want to see what the world map is going to look like. That's easily my most anticipated part of the game, as long as it has secrets and star road

Well maybe if you and your cronies stopped spitting seeds at us while we were flutter jumping over pits maybe we would not hate so much.

On topic, I'm interested to see just how much they put into each attraction in Nintendo Land. That and if NSMBU will have DLC like NSMB2 supposedly will.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The new Mario screens look very hot.

EDIT: Visually Super Mario World was as bland as any of the NSMB games and perhaps even more. I don't see how most people could argue otherwise.

zroid

Banned
EDIT: Visually Super Mario World was as bland as any of the NSMB games and perhaps even more. I don't see how most people could argue otherwise.

I think everyone just likes that it had its own look, separate from previous Mario games.

I doubt NSMB's visuals were as deplored in 2006 as they are now, before they were so closely replicated in NSMBW and again in NSMB2.

Anyway, U's looking rather more distinct from those games in key ways. I'm happy!

test_account

XP-39C²
For me, Super Mario World visuals >>>>>>>>> New Super Mario Bros games visuals. I really wish that Nintendo would make a sprite-based 2D Mario game again. The new info about NSMBU sounds amazing, and combine that with sprite-based graphics, then i would have a hard time not playing that game :)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
M.Bison yes.avi

lol There are Miis in the background. Also,
Torpedo Ted, yay

Just saw them. Getting a crazy SMW vibe. Hype get.

Torpedo Ted
is back!

There are new screens, my friends. With
Yoshi and Torpedo Ted back
I don't know if posting links is possible, since probably those images are sort of scans.

You guys do realise Torpedo Ted was in Mario Galaxy, right?

orioto

Good Art™
It hasn't got any more variety in environment than NSMB does, but I'd argue that the sprites have more charm than the (first three) NSMB games do.

ha come on, i didn't want to go in that war again but let's go, i'll try.. cause it's pretty hard to explain after all.

Take that from Mario world.

super-mario-world-rev-big.gif

it's, indeed, not varied at all and repetitive in the patterns. BUT,weirdly, it works. Cause the art direction is strong and the minimalistic style + color palette makes it just natural as it is.
Where in some of that screens, particularly the one with the big geometric mountain behind, it just looks like a messy copy and paste all over the place!

Big difference is that Mario World doesn't try to be realistic or detailed. It's iconic and symbolic, maybe even abstract and design, and it's perfectly handled. Now NMB is more detailed and in the same time less natural. Everything is at its right place in Mario World, when things look random and messy in NMB.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm most interested in that Boost Rush screenshot. It looks like Boost Rush is basically "speed-run mode," with the score missing and that called-out timer. I wonder what that mysterious red bar beneath the coin total is. And I bet those Miis are only there because it's the special mode, they're probably not there normally. It's probably a Miiverse thing, them cheering you on for the high score you're about to post to the network.

Sounds PRETTY GREAT to me, I love the idea of Miiverse speedrunning.

Since the other thread was shut down, I'll ask here. Has anything been said about the HUD being removable and/or placed on the gamepad? That shit is pointless.

Top Bottom