• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kotaku: 3ds XL circle pad pro hands on: "comfortable, but not too big"

original.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5945142/hands-on-...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Any new games announced to support this? monhun4 is the only upcoming game i can think of.

Drago

It really doesn't look all too bad imo. Better than the last one, at least. Will get for KH3D and Mon Hun

Any idea of the NA release for this? Maybe bundles with MH3U?

Eusis

Jeez, that actually looks like the size of a small netbook...
Key word is looks. He's not holding it like you normally would for playing games but rather how you'd hold something to take a picture of (naturally), and I think he might have a bit of a small hand too.

The extra space the CPP takes up is undeniable however, though proportionally it seems smaller compared to the system than the original CPP was at least.

iammeiam

I keep waffling between "Christ, that's huge." and "The CPP doesn't really add that much size."

The 3DS XL is just a beast all its own. It's like Fezzik in The Princess Bride. Sure sticking him on a cart, covering him in a cloak, and setting him on fire makes him more imposing, but he's pretty imposing on his own.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Funny, cause this tweet popped up:

@ItCameFromJapan
Had a fiddle with Circle Pad Pro XL (switched off). It is the biggest thing in the universe. #TGS12

Looks better than the OG 3DS CPP. Looks a lot more ergonomic. Excited to buy this, as I loved the comfort of the first. It's a great addition, when at home.

mr_chun

I was really hoping that the aesthetics of this thing would be improved to match the improved aesthetics of the XL. Oh well.

Alex

I love the XL, big improvement, but improved aesthetics is the last thing id say it has, very cheap looking no real style. OG 3DS def looked better even if it did knife your palms.

Improved aesthetics is the DSi XL, Bronze and Burgundy specifically!

LiK

it's smaller than an iPad. :trollface:

anyway, it's probably very comfortable like with the regular one.

pootle

That looks really stupid.

That looks really comfortable.

iammeiam said:
The 3DS XL is just a beast all its own. It's like Fezzik in The Princess Bride. Sure sticking him on a cart, covering him in a cloak, and setting him on fire makes him more imposing, but he's pretty imposing on his own.
You win. I want to say how the XL isn't really that big and adding a circle pad pro won't make any difference to people who don't use their circle pad pro compatible games (if any) outside.

But I can't argue with a Princess Bride quote.

It is the most ugly handheld I have ever seen with this addition.
Also, it still beats me how Nintendo decided NOT to intergrate the second stick in the XL.

Anyone that approves of a CPP is absolutely nuts. Nintendo should be consistently publicly shamed for the 3ds hardware. If only they had put a second analog stick in the first hardware.

Piers

I still don't know why they have to make the thing so huge. Previously someone dismantled the previous circle pad pro and like 75% of it was an empty husk - size wasn't because of internal mechanisms and wiring like most thought.

Having a second pad 'clip' onto the side wouldn't be that hard, certainly not impossible.

Anyone that approves of a CPP is absolutely nuts. Nintendo should be consistently publicly shamed for the 3ds hardware. If only they had put a second analog stick in the first hardware.

I completely agree! Such a shame people are buying this ugly thing in drones while ignoring the superiour handheld, the Vita which is the best handheld ever designed. That's one thing I never like about Nintendo, releasing old, subpar technology.

I completely agree! Such a shame people are buying this ugly thing in drones while ignoring the superiour handheld, the Vita which is the best handheld ever designed. That's one thing I never like about Nintendo, releasing old, subpar technology.

Oh I thought a good handheld was defined by games...
Was I wrong ?

Anyone that approves of a CPP is absolutely nuts.

Not at all. I'd rather it wasn't needed, but the first CPP made the handheld more comfortable than any other handheld for long play sessions -- largely because it wasn't so handheld anymore. It essentially gives it the ergonomics and shoulder buttons of a modern controller, and curiously, that's not something people are against in console controllers -- but they seem to be against it as an optional add-on for a handheld.

They're not against third party grips either usually, but because its a Nintendo made thing that adds buttons and a stick, I think people just vent their frustration that the stuff wasn't built in without really asking themselves if it was really necessary to be built in and whether comfort is perhaps more important. You can count the games that use this thing on one hand.

Nintendo should be consistently publicly shamed for the 3ds hardware. If only they had put a second analog stick in the first hardware.

I'd have welcomed a second stick, but nothing has really needed one thus far. The 3DS market would probably just have more shitty FPS games.

Top Bottom