• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kotaku: 3ds XL circle pad pro hands on: "comfortable, but not too big"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The official form of the Clown Console. One day when region locking is defeated, this horror awaits me. Once you've finally tasted dual-analog MonHun, you cannot return.

JaseMath

That's the ugliest damn add-on I've ever seen. Who's going to buy this? Nintendo should have just included two pads from the get go and been done with it. I still feel like that excuse of "not enough room" is bullshit PR. It's a money grab - that's all it ever is with Nintendo.

N30RYU

Remembers me this...
megacd.jpg

Not including the second stick in the XL revision was bullshit.

hunnies28

I'm still thinking on buying the original CPP when MH3 launches just because the R button on my 3DS doesn't work anymore.

Remembers me this...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aPQi_7YhQSo/TbMb5a8EvTI/AAAAAAAAAEs/Bs5lecgNMHc/s1600/megacd.jpg[IMG]

Not including the second stick in the XL revision was bullshit.[/QUOTE]

They would have been forced to add two shoulder buttons as well if they had added a second nub.

Phoenixus

1.gif

Wise fwom yo' gwave!

Necro-posting to ask if anyone has tried one of the Japanese Circle Pad Pro XLs on a North American 3DS XL? I'd like to grab one of these on eBay for Revelaitions and MGS3D but I wanted to be sure it wasn't region dependent because of software compatibility or something...

Pretty sure it's region free. Imported a Japanese CPP and it works just fine on my Euro XL. Impressions writeup here for anyone who is curious. :)

QaaQer

But people prefer games rather than specs.

Thing is, as I've mentioned before, terrible hardware can interfer with gameplay and can in fact cause pain, as kid icarus on 3ds did with me. Ideally, hardware should not get in the way of gameplay, and for some, that is exacatly what happens with the 3ds. ymmv.

That is not to say the vita is perfect, because it isn't. but I never had pain from it. And since I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/PSVita-Trigger-Grips-Sony-PS-Vita/dp/B0072A4JVW, it is pretty comfy. again, ymmv.

Midou

Same. And KH3D too.

My guess is they'll release it with MH3U in March.

Yep, I got KH3D with a 3DS XL bundle I got on sale around the holidays, but from the demo I played before, I wanted a second analog. I tried to look online, but play-asia was like $35 for one with shipping. I'd imagine if they do a MH3U or eventual MH4 bundle, it will probably only be like $10 or $15 more than the game itself, which would be much better. I can put it off until then.

I'm actually surprised how it's barely bigger than the 3DS' circle pad pro, looks fine. It will make it heavier, but I doubt moreso than the average tablet. 3DS XL is already lighter than I first imagined.

Still think it's silly they didn't just throw it built-in to the 3DS XL. I guess they do wanted to sell accessories, but more people may have been convinced to buy an XL thinking it provides extra control.

watershed

Banned
I dislike how the CPP puts the screen off center with the rest of the system. It creates this odd asymmetry in my holding posture that I can't stand.

Mitama

Good god, still horrible. Looks like something out of the 90's, that would still look awful even back then.

They're not against third party grips either usually, but because its a Nintendo made thing that adds buttons and a stick, I think people just vent their frustration that the stuff wasn't built in without really asking themselves if it was really necessary to be built in and whether comfort is perhaps more important. You can count the games that use this thing on one hand.
I don't necessairily disagree, but I think a case can be made for building in a 2nd analog/L2/R2 on the XL without adding much/any bulk (was considered on 3DS originally but decided against due to lack of space in the desired formfactor) and if Nintendo had done so I'd think the selection of games using then would've increased too. There's games like EX Troopers or Luigi's Mansion 2 that would definitely benefit from it, but aren't using CPP now. It also could've encoraged other games coming to the system too, the complete lack if fps on 3DS for example might've turned out differently.

edit: Spoke too soon, it seems EXT does indeed use the CPP! Full list of supported games:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (Namco Bandai) JP version only
Dynasty Warriors VS (Tecmo Koei)
E.X.Troopers (Capcom)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo)
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (Square Enix)
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom)
Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom)
Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia)
Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd (Tecmo Koei)

That's the ugliest damn add-on I've ever seen. Who's going to buy this? Nintendo should have just included two pads from the get go and been done with it. I still feel like that excuse of "not enough room" is bullshit PR. It's a money grab - that's all it ever is with Nintendo.

I'm not convinced this is a money grab. I think that gives Nintendo too much credit.

I think it's a hamfisted response to an oversight in the 3DS design.

Midou

The 2nd circle pad should've been in the original 3DS, from that point forward the damage was done. Putting in the XL would fragment the userbase.

I disagree, I believe most people see it as logical move to have released any 3DS version after the circle pad pro released, with it built in. Games could continue being made just as they are now, with 2nd analog simply being an extra, optional way to control the camera or whatnot.

The 2nd circle pad should've been in the original 3DS, from that point forward the damage was done. Putting in the XL would fragment the userbase.
This argument never made sense to me since original 3DS owners could still just buy a CPP. It's like saying bundling the Dual Shock in 1998 fragmented the PlayStation userbase or PS2 slim including the network adapter fragmented the PS2 base. There's no real fragmentation because there's an upgrade path for established owners.

Approaching iPad dimensions now. And not the iPad Mini either. The big one.
Length and Width are actually still smaller than even the mini. Depth is the only dimension where 3DSXL+CPP (or 3DSXL) is larger.

Why didn't they just make a little clip with the analogue nub that fits under the abxy buttons? Sure you wouldn't be able to close the ds without removing it but it would still be more portable then that beast.

It's not just that its huge, it's more that its so goddamn ugly.

They would have been forced to add two shoulder buttons as well if they had added a second nub.
Well when they made the original CPP they shouldn't have put on an extra shoulder button. That was dumb too.

Well when they made the original CPP they shouldn't have put on an extra shoulder button. That was dumb too.
No way, having 4 accessible buttons with dual analog is essential for some games. It's really the best setup.

I think they could integrate L2/R2 into the XL without adding much bulk anyway though.

Shouldn't it be:

'comfortable, and not too big' ?

Doesn't the 'but' indicate that 'comfortable' is either negative, or 'too big' a positive?

Mileena

Banned
Looks kinda more comfortable. Now if only there was a good game that used it well (that doesn't have a much superior Wii U version coming at the same time :p)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all the bellyaching over no second analog on 3DS and reiteration of how stupid Nintendo is, it's not like advertising Dat Console Experience and emphasizing shooters did the Vita any favors.

While I actually would have advised putting a second circle pad on the 3DS myself, ultimately it doesn't seem to matter much in the big picture.

BriBri

Whether you personally feel whether the 3DS XL should have a second circle pad in its initial design is irrelevant. The decision not to include it by Nintendo was purely a business decision. And the correct business decision.

Top Bottom