• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kotaku: 3ds XL circle pad pro hands on: "comfortable, but not too big"

BriBri

just as fucking ridiculous as the last one.

Why not just include it in the hardware revision ?

Copy & pasted from above... Whether you personally feel whether the 3DS XL should have a second circle pad in its initial design is irrelevant. The decision not to include it by Nintendo was purely a business decision. And the correct business decision.

The Boat

This argument never made sense to me since original 3DS owners could still just buy a CPP. It's like saying bundling the Dual Shock in 1998 fragmented the PlayStation userbase or PS2 slim including the network adapter fragmented the PS2 base. There's no real fragmentation because there's an upgrade path for established owners.

Length and Width are actually still smaller than even the mini. Depth is the only dimension where 3DSXL+CPP (or 3DSXL) is larger.
The network example doesn't make sense, I'll give you the Dualshock one although I think there's a big difference between controllers and handhelds. An XL with two pads would render 3DS useless in the eye of the consumers, leaving Nintendo with a bum product on the shelves which would probably force them to release another 3DS with two pads, which means spending a lot of money and leaving a lot of OG 3DS owners pissed, even if there's the option to get a frankenstick.
Of course I would prefer if the two pads were native in the XL, but I can see the logic behind it. To me, the huge mistake was made with the OG 3DS.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
just bought one off amazon.co.uk it says it is for the 3ds ll/xl

cannot wait for more re:r or ki uprising. :)

Why does this add on exist?

Was it just part of the deal to get Capcom to move MH from vita to 3DS so they didnt have to completely redo the controls?

It just seems like of dumb.

Full list of supported games:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (Namco Bandai) JP version only
Dynasty Warriors VS (Tecmo Koei)
E.X.Troopers (Capcom)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (Nintendo)
Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] (Square Enix)
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom)
Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom)
Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia)
Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd (Tecmo Koei)

I think the eshop title Monster SHooter uses it too.

Eric C

I got this a few weeks ago.

It's surprisingly not much wider compared to the original CPP.

I find the contour and ergonomics more comfortable vs the original CPP.

The indent/contour on the side not only makes reaching the ABXY buttons slightly easier, it also helps to make holding the 3DS XL with the CPP XL feel somewhat more balanced... less off center. To me holding a 3DS in the original CPP felt really off center.

To me it really seems like Nintendo put some effort into designing this, where as the original felt more like a rushed prototype or something.

If they don't bring them over by March, I'll be importing one for MH3G.

I imported a Japanese one from AmiAmi. I used the cheapest shipping option and it was only a few dollars more compared to what I paid for the original at GameStop. I think it was around $27 total, but the exchange rate might have changed since November.

I'm more amazed they still blocked the cartridge slot with this one.

Yeah, I was surprised they covered the cartridge slot again too.

If the cartridge slot was uncovered I think I would just always keep the CPP XL on.

Of course I'm also the kind of person that has a big bulky comfort grip on ALL my handhelds.
m8rd3.jpg
2jzu9.jpg

6gG0T.jpg
7vsbE.jpg

cEwgyl.jpg
45qSl.jpg

I'm not convinced this is a money grab. I think that gives Nintendo too much credit.

I think it's a hamfisted response to an oversight in the 3DS design.

It's my personal opinion that Nintendo never cared about adding a second analog to the 3DS, and still doesn't care. I think it was only made as part of the deal to get Monster Hunter and other Capcom games on the 3DS.

IMO Capcom wanted a second analog, not Nintendo. Just look at how many Capcom games support it vs how many Nintendo games support it.

MutFox

Banned
A 2nd analog is the only thing keeping me from buying a 3DS...
I don't think I'm alone on this either...

Nintendo F'd up and they've admitted it.
Why won't they just release a version with a 2nd analog stick?
There's no good reason...

Boney

Banned
Huge oversight in my opinion... learned nothing from the psp forum complaints...

*chuckles*

A 2nd analog is the only thing keeping me from buying a 3DS...
I don't think I'm alone on this either...

Nintendo F'd up and they've admitted it.
Why won't they just release a version with a 2nd analog stick?
There's no good reason...

It's not like there's many games that support it either...

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I own one and it's extremely comfortable, compared to the original 3DS with the cpp on. It kind of feels like a controller in form factor.

While I'm not going to complain about the XL not having the second circle pad to begin with, I am curious as to the reason why there has been no date (at least tentatively) announced for outside of Japan.

I feel it kind of alienates XL users (like myself) from having that gameplay option available for Revelaitons, Sneak Eater 3D, KI: Uprising, MH, etc...unless we want to forkover the $40+ importing it.

C.T.

Huge oversight in my opinion... learned nothing from the psp forum complaints...

They don't want to learn from their competitors. It's one of Nintendos biggest strengths but sometimes their biggest weakness. ASAIK they are afraid they might lose their creativity if they copy they competitors. But this paradigm prevents them from achieving greatness sometimes.

I hope we get a good bundle over here. A CCP with a free copy of Resident Evil would be great. :D

But how I know NOE there isn't any bundle on its way.

DR2K

Banned
I hope Nintendo really gets their shit together for their next portable. This just looks goofy.

Ordered the JP CPP from NCSX.com a few weeks ago t go with the XL. Feels ser comfortable to use. Can't wait for MoHun to release in the US.

It's not like there's many games that support it either...

After spending a few minutes trying to find a decent "Chicken or the Egg" picture, I'll just point out the obvious: of course devs don't widely support a feature restricted to a peripheral on limited sale and not heavily advertised.

It seemed like the CPP was designed as a stopgap for classic 3DS owners, for when the XL came around with an embedded second stick. (And assumingly some solution for the second set of shoulder buttons, which most people didn't specifically ask for in the first place.) After all, they said the size was the biggest issue holding back a second stick inclusion in the original 3DS.

But no, instead it seemed like something intended to shut up Capcom and Konami for a little while, but ultimately another thing Nintendo throws onto the market and promptly forgets about. I'm a little surprised they did actually follow through with an XL version.

backlot

You can't use this for most games though right? Can I play mario kart and such or only a few games?

Why would Mario Kart even need a second stick? To answer your question though it only works with a few games. The list was posted a bit earlier in this thread.

After spending a few minutes trying to find a decent "Chicken or the Egg" picture, I'll just point out the obvious: of course devs don't widely support a feature restricted to a peripheral on limited sale and not heavily advertised.

It seemed like the CPP was designed as a stopgap for classic 3DS owners, for when the XL came around with an embedded second stick. (And assumingly some solution for the second set of shoulder buttons, which most people didn't specifically ask for in the first place.) After all, they said the size was the biggest issue holding back a second stick inclusion in the original 3DS.

But no, instead it seemed like something intended to shut up Capcom and Konami for a little while, but ultimately another thing Nintendo throws onto the market and promptly forgets about. I'm a little surprised they did actually follow through with an XL version.

The extremely low release (as in not everyone who preordered got one) not to mention the huge gap between shipping the things suggested otherwise.

VinLAURiA

Banned
That actually looks really comfortable. I've been meaning to get a 3DSXL anyway (but not before they come out in purple; I already got fooled once!)

Pezking

Since I only play handhelds at home anyway, I'm sure I will like this.

The original circle pad pro made it much more comfortable to hold the 3DS in your hands as well, and I also bought the Hori grip for my Vita. It's not pretty, and it certainly doesn't make the devices more portable, but I like how it feels. No more numb fingers while playing.

The extremely low release (as in not everyone who preordered got one) not to mention the huge gap between shipping the things suggested otherwise.

Or it could have suggested it was a last-minute decision to make an accommodation for original 3DS owners, one they weren't initially prepared to do.

We know better now, of course.

Or it could have suggested it was a last-minute decision to make an accommodation for original 3DS owners, one they weren't initially prepared to do.

We know better now, of course.

In Japan, but here? There was plenty of time. And we still had low stock with long waits from then till the next shipping.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It's my personal opinion that Nintendo never cared about adding a second analog to the 3DS, and still doesn't care. I think it was only made as part of the deal to get Monster Hunter and other Capcom games on the 3DS.

IMO Capcom wanted a second analog, not Nintendo. Just look at how many Capcom games support it vs how many Nintendo games support it.

I agree with this theory. I believe, it was made at Capcom's behest and Nintendo agreed to it, knowing that two MonHun games would be the ideal tonic for their then struggling handheld and stop the Vita gaining traction. (Hell, isn't Kid Icarus the only Nintendo first party game that supports it? Even then, it's only grudgingly used as a left-handed mode - you still can't play the game with dual sticks.)

Socreges

Banned
(Hell, isn't Kid Icarus the only Nintendo first party game that supports it? Even then, it's only grudgingly used as a left-handed mode - you still can't play the game with dual sticks.)
Huh... so as a right-handed person, the Circle Pad Pro would be useless for Kid Icarus?

Top Bottom