• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review Thread

Derrick01

Banned
I figured the media's newly discovered huge balls would shrink when COD came out. I'll see if redbox has it for ps3 but that's the only way I'll try out the campaign.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
uNfSj.png

So, Halo 4 confirmed for being the superior shootan game of this season?

NinjaBoiX

Polygon says the campaign is trash. Dissapointing. May hold out on this one.
I dunno man, the general consensus is that the campaign is rather spiffy. I'd take that over one, single reviewers opinion. I'd ignore them dude, go with the majority. Or wait till we get some later reviews and you'll get less money hats.

NinjaBoiX

Any idea when the Digital Foundry analysis will be out? What I saw last night at a friends looked a lot better than Black Ops 1 on PS3.
Not sure, but you can place a safe bet that the Xbox version will be the console version of choice. It always is with CoD, even when they are nearly identical like CoD4, there is usually something in it. And the last BlOps was a bit of a train wreck on ps3.

Not sure, but you can place a safe bet that the Xbox version will be the console version of choice. It always is with CoD, even when they are nearly identical like CoD4, there is usually something in it. And the last BlOps was a bit of a train wreck on ps3.

Well, I don't have an Xbox so I just want to know if I'm getting a gimped product or not and the IW CODs have been great in this regard with hardly any difference between them.

NinjaBoiX

Well, I don't have an Xbox so I just want to know if I'm getting a gimped product or not and the IW CODs have been great in this regard with hardly any difference between them.
Yeah Trey don't have the best reputation with PS3 ports, BlOps was a bit of a joke. If anything, they are pushing the tech further this time, so if they haven't optimised their ps3 code, it may be worse. But I doubt it, that would be a huge mistake.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I didn't really need any reviews, but I'm sold again. It's hard to believe I'm still buying Call of Duty's after all this time, but hey, I still have fun with the series and they always offer enough content and replayability to justify the money I spend. I'm not expecting too much different but even small tweaks and tiny new ideas will seem significant considering how little the series has changed.

NinjaBoiX

well, I suppose it's one way to get rid of the jaggies you see in the 360 version. but you could also just poke yourself in the eyes to get the same effect.
Haha, oh wow.

Some jaggies, or a while heap of blur? That ain't no choice at all son. All console CoD's have Had jaggies, and it's never once bothered me. That blur though? Urghh.

Also, to whoever was asking about the PS3 port, here's your answer. If it has frame rate problems on top, then, well, it sucks for you. Don't mean that in an arsey way, it's just you have no choice if you want to play it.

NinjaBoiX

From what I've played, FC3 is indeed open world, but the combat itself is less open and more straightforward than Halo's.
What? That's like saying the gameplay in Platformer X is even less tactile and inventive than SMG. You picked a game that probably best exemplifies the attributes in question, then say it doesn't do them as well. That might be the case, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any stretch.

"My new GF isn't even as good looking as Jessica Alba. I mean, come on."

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unless the Ps3 version renders the HUD at a lower resolution as well, it looks like that shot was resized or something, the HUD is blurry, which really doesn't happen even in sub HD games.

Reiko

Banned
Unless the Ps3 version renders the HUD at a lower resolution as well, it looks like that shot was resized or something, the HUD is blurry, which really doesn't happen even in sub HD games.

Actually it happens in Crysis 2.

Wait for more pics though.

Kusagari

Black Ops campaign was trash. So I expect nothing more from this one. Regardless of what reviews says.

But Black Ops had the best MP since the original Modern Warfare and I have faith in Treyarch delivering again.

Funny how people in the games media bash COD every year, but when it comes time to review the new COD game, they are giving it high scores and singing its praises. Talk about sell outs.

KageMaru

There has to be something wrong with those captures, both of them. The 360 version looks like it's been sharpened (or the AA is borked) while the ps3 version looks like it has a vaseline filter added. Neither look good IMO.

Edit: To add, I'm happy it's reviewing well for those interested in the game.

It all depends on what resolution the HUD is being rendered at. Most games, even sub-HD games, tend to render the HUD at 720p. Another possible explanation is they could be using a PPAA that effects the HUD. MLAA does this at times.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Funny how people in the games media bash COD every year, but when it comes time to review the new COD game, they are giving it high scores and singing its praises. Talk about sell outs.

Do you have an evidence of a specific games media person bashing CoD and then proceeding to score it highly? Just curious.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I think it is more of they don't like the idea of a yearly franchise, but they appreciate the individual titles as well-made games.

Nizz

That PS3 shot looks blurry but I can live with that as long as the game at least runs well. If it looks that blurry and still runs like ass than Treyarch just fail at PS3 development.

So yep, pretty much if you hated the last 2 or 3 CoDs, you'll hate this one.

I loved MW1 and 2, but I loathed Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 looked even worse.

So yeah, skipping out on this one. Without the original CoD creators on board anymore, the series won't see any sort of innovation ever again going at this rate.

Will wait for Respawn's first game.

Gigglepoo

These reviews were done at a special "event" hosted by Activision. Make of that what you will. As least the sites are admitting to it this time, progress of a sort I guess.

I can't speak for other outlets, but GameSpot never attends review events. We were sent an Xbox 360 copy late last week.

My Ps3 version looks...HORRIBLE..

So blurry...

Havent tried my 360 version yet, but judging from the screen shots its gonna look better.
Sucks cause I'm a PS3 gamer and I only buy the 360 version of games to play with my son, which isnt all the time.

Flavius

Why is it in every review thread someone says when the reviews are evidently all on one side of the scale?

Mostly to separate the knuckleheads who do little more than glance at the number, as opposed to those who bother to read the text.

Speaking of which, did you bother to read the wildly varying impressions of the campaign? I didn't even bother to categorize it as a positive or a negative. Merely an observation.

Top Bottom