• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review Thread

zkylon

zkylewd
lol gametrailers isn't even trying to get people to read their reviews:

iw7cgvZDu2p2.PNG

NinjaBoiX

So the Gaming Press thinks this is a much better game than Medal of Honor: Warfighter huh?

Or are they just corrupt?
I dunno Dennis, modern MoH is always a little ropey. MoH 2010 was good despite its faults, and Warfighter just sounds a little rough.

CoD on the other hand, as creatively bankrupt and unimaginative as they are, has always played a solid, rletively smooth, dependable FPS. I'm willing to bet it is better than MoH:W by a fair margin.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
lol gametrailers isn't even trying to get people to read their reviews:

iw7cgvZDu2p2.PNG

This cant be real.
Dont they have someone who overwatches what the website looks like.
I look at that wall of text and im immediately discouraged.

On Topic
Reviews for campaign are surprising, people are saying they actually like it?
I think i might jump on this CoD for the story....first time ive done this for CoD since CoD 2.

I hope ive got time to play Halo 4 online and Black Ops 2 online.
Although I havent enjoyed the CoD community in a long long time, to be honest I miss the days of being angry at Juggernaut and Martydom.

These reviews were done at a special "event" hosted by Activision. Make of that what you will. As least the sites are admitting to it this time, progress of a sort I guess.

Margalis

Banned
These all read exactly like every COD review from the last few years. I'm not really sure how someone can write "well the series was getting kind of stale and samey but this iteration made some bold choices and breathed new life into it" every year without a hint of irony.

Edit: Kind of the same thing as Madden reviews. "Last year's version was flawed and didn't offer many substantial changes, this year's version looks to be a big step up finally worthy of next-gen systems." I'm pretty sure I've read that same review every year since 1994 or so.

Nyx

I really don't understand how anyone can still be interested in another COD game, but that's just me I guess.

GrizzNKev

Banned
These all read exactly like every COD review from the last few years. I'm not really sure how someone can write "well the series was getting kind of stale and samey but this iteration made some bold choices and breathed new life into it" every year without a hint of irony.

Edit: Kind of the same thing as Madden reviews. "Last year's version was flawed and didn't offer many substantial changes, this year's version looks to be a big step up finally worthy of next-gen systems." I'm pretty sure I've read that same review every year since 1994 or so.

The scores will continue to go up, as will the sales, but from anyone who has a legitimate voice to be heard, the world's boredom with this franchise will grow at the same rate. Do not fear.

NinjaBoiX

I really don't understand how anyone can still be interested in another COD game, but that's just me I guess.
It's not hard to understand. People enjoyed the previous one, know what to expect, and clearly love the franchise. Look at all the people who buy FIFA/Madden/NBA/NFL every year, or went to see every single one of those vacuous Twilight movies.

why do people still play football or any other sport for that matter. not like that changes much.

While i didn't bother with MW3 and didnt play MW2 or BlOps as much as MW1 the formula is pretty tight. Its just a well made shooter that a lot of people like.

Cheech

I transitioned to PC with this series with BO1, and the series took on new life. I'd kind of given it up after MW2 on 360, but picked up BO1 on a Steam sale. Like a whole new game.

I think part of it is the competition on PC is better. You don't see as much camping and cheesy BS. Typically. ;D

BO2 is the first CoD I preordered (Steam), and I've bought them all since CoD2 blew my mind on the 360. They're not especially deep games, but the campaigns are always entertaining, and I always get my money's worth out of MP.

Do I feel better about buying games from, say, Todd Howard's team at Bethesda, or Firaxis (Xcom GOTY, baby!)? Sure. But sometimes, you just want to shoot dudes in the face.

These reviews were done at a special "event" hosted by Activision. Make of that what you will. As least the sites are admitting to it this time, progress of a sort I guess.

Step 1 is letting the readers know that they were playing the game at those events.
Step 2 should be to tell the readers how many hours they did play the game at those events.

Because some reviews seem to have gotten to play the game there for quite some time considering the statements they make about the effects player choices have on the campaign and how the multiplayer is.

Or....?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, I'm not really interested in yet another Call of Duty, but in this case, it actually seems as if they've tried to deliver a different kind of campaign. In that sense I'm tempted to give it a shot.

Probably not going to get it, looks just about the same as the other COD games, my friend is getting it though, so maybe I'll change my mind when we play it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
If this gets a higher metascore than Halo, I'm splattering my brains out.

I'm pretty amazed that this thread is moving so slowly. Maybe nobody cares what review scores the franchise gets at this point? People generally either know they want it, no matter the reviews, or know they don't. Me, this is going to be my first Call of Duty since I spent a lot of time playing the demo of the original on PC. I'm getting the Wii U version to enjoy pointer controls and being able to have two players each with their own screen.

I see the zombies mode getting a bit of flack, which is a shame as that is what I was probably going to play the most, but hopefully someone like me that hasn't really played zombies before is going to have a good time with. Glad to hear the campaign getting some praise too, I'll definitely check it out.

Kilrathi

I wonder how the PC version will hold up since the pc version of cod since MW2 hasn't been that great. BLOP had performance issues at launch among other things. MW2 and 3 lets not go there

Seanspeed

Banned
Why is it in every review thread someone says when the reviews are evidently all on one side of the scale?

I think he's talking about what they're saying. Some are saying the campaign is a surprise, some are saying its a disappointment, some are saying multiplayer is being brought forward unlike previous CoD's, others are saying its just more of the same, etc etc.

They are kinda all saying different things.

@plagiarize - Dont worry about the reviews too much. If you want to know about the game in detail, wait for gamer's opinions, especially with the multiplayer. Zombies mode has moved on so much since World at War and I'm sure its still good fun if you like that thing, but critics might be judging it for not moving forward enough or something. Like I said, wait to hear what GAFers are saying about map design and balance and zombies and whatnot. They'll probably be putting more time into multiplayer than most critics have.

@plagiarize - Dont worry about the reviews too much. If you want to know about the game in detail, wait for gamer's opinions, especially with the multiplayer. Zombies mode has moved on so much since World at War and I'm sure its still good fun if you like that thing, but critics might be judging it for not moving forward enough or something. Like I said, wait to hear what GAFers are saying about map design and balance and zombies and whatnot. They'll probably be putting more time into multiplayer than most critics have.
I'm not worries, and I'm only really planning on playing offline mp. These are good review scores. I've never played the zombies mode in any cod, so if indeed its just the case that this version isn't especially different to the last one, then I should be good.

I'm hoping for some fun offline mp and a fun FPS campaign with solid pointer controls. It sounds like I should be good.

Dennis

Banned
I fucking told you! Its going to be GT's game of the year. The meltdowns are going to be delicious.

That would be a travesty.

So far BLOPS 2 has been a solid game but I don't see how it can be anyones game of the year.

Dorito game of the year maybe but I think Halo 4 has that in the bag.

That would be a travesty.

So far BLOPS 2 has been a solid game but I don't see how it can be anyones game of the year.

Dorito game of the year maybe but I think Halo 4 has that in the bag.

Both Mass Effect 3 and BLOPS 2 have the highest review score for this year on the site (both 9.4)

I can't see them going for ME3, so BLOPS2 all the way it seems. In old GT tradition, the highest scored game is the one who wins.

lol @ egm giving this a 9/10.

reviews are pretty much what I expected from another call of duty game, might pick it up when it goes on sale

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow at game trailers. That is a lot of Doritos.

See a lot about taking risks...interesting considering the moh reviews all pounded it for being safe. I wonder if the game actually takes risks or if that is just the easy way out for the media.

KingKong

Wow at game trailers. That is a lot of Doritos.

See a lot about taking risks...interesting considering the moh reviews all pounded it for being safe. I wonder if the game actually takes risks or if that is just the easy way out for the media.

Taking risks = only 95% the same as the other campaigns

Polygon says the campaign is trash. Dissapointing. May hold out on this one.

lol and they still give it an 8 (I guess a slight change to the multiplayer is a big risk), game journalism is such a joke

Top Bottom