• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sells 1.2 million hardware units (400K Wii U, 300K Wii, 275K DS, 250K 3DS)

Seda

Can't really judge Wii U too much on one week I think.

However, 3DS numbers really have to be disappointing.

The U only sold 100k above the Wii that week? I'd actually be really interested in seeing similar numbers for the 360 vs Xbox and PS3 vs PS2 during their respective launches, I don't think I've ever seen those numbers. I wonder if this is relatively good or bad in terms of launch numbers. Either way, 400k on its own in one week at least seems fairly healthy.

WOW you haters.. The Wii U sold out.. That's good regardless of how you want to spin it.. The Wii U launch was a huge success in America. Europe is next so we will see how it fairs in Sony Land..

Initial estimates were they would sell out and that's great. Especially since the Wii at sub 100.00 did 300,000.. a 300-350 console sold very well.

Just stop trying to bash the Wii U at every turn we get it some of you don't like it fine.. Who really cares.. Your choices in consoles don't need to be defended...

Lets see if the Wii-U can maintain a good sales pace in the next few weeks however..

What? No it didn't.

"Wii U is essentially sold out of retail and we are doing our best to continually replenish stock," Fils-Aime said. "Retailers are also doing their best to get the product to store shelves. But as soon as product hits retail, they're selling out immediately.

e90tv.png

Ein Bear

The 3DS had the one-two punch of Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart last year, wheras it's got a relatively modest Christmas lineup this time round.

Kind of surprised they didn't release New Super Mario Bros. 2 around this time of year instead to push hardware sales, but I guess then you'd run into the problem of having it out at the same time as NSMBU.

CronoShot

NoA has no one to blame but themselves for 3DS sales. What do you expect when you offer massive discounts on DS hardware on Black Friday, and do jack shit to stir up interest in the 3DS?

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
I'm going to use a Golf analogy because I'm lame.

Wii U sales are basically par and 3DS sales are like a triple bogey, yes?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Gaming console launch sales mainly depend on the supply that can be provided. We won't be able to accurately gauge Wii U sales until like March, or until 720/PS4 launch.

Acosta

Hohum numbers, not very impressive. The 3DS sales are particularly bad, that YOY is disastrous.

Nintendo will have to up his game. The marketing for Wii U has been horrible to start with.

iammeiam

Wii U isn't going to live up to the Wii in sales. Unsurprising in the extreme, but disappointing for Nintendo I'm sure.

3DS is massively underperforming in the US, and that has to scare NoA. If the Vita had turned out to be a semicompetent competitor, they could be in some serious trouble. Luckily for them, Vita continues to find new ways to fail.

This can't be a happy time for Nintendo here; they're not doooooooomed, but they're going to have to make some effort to stay relevant. The Wii/DS days of kicking back and letting the money roll in appear to be over.

do you have numbers for those launches?

Wii 600K, PS2 ?, Wii U 400K, 360?, PS3GC?, Xbox?

360 is less than half of Wii sales and PS2 was around 500k.

PS3 was around 200k. I don't have the numbers for GC or XBox. GC might have been higher with GBA synergy. XBox I'm fairly confident is in PS3 range.

NewFresh

WOW you haters.. The Wii U sold out.. That's good regardless of how you want to spin it.. The Wii U launch was a huge success in America. Europe is next so we will see how it fairs in Sony Land..

Initial estimates were they would sell out and that's great. Especially since the Wii at sub 100.00 did 300,000.. a 300-350 console sold very well.

Just stop trying to bash the Wii U at every turn we get it some of you don't like it fine.. Who really cares.. Your choices in consoles don't need to be defended...

Lets see if the Wii-U can maintain a good sales pace in the next few weeks however..

Few are "Hating" here so I think you might be coming off a bit...off. Also, the Wii U did not sell out. The article mentions 400k sold and shipped 500k. Still good, but not sold out.

Durante

So are these "Nintendo family" sales?

Seriously, I don't think you can deduce anything one way or the other from these numbers. Too many uncertainties about supply etc. We shouldn't judge Wii U before its first Christmas.

Pociask

Comparisons to the Wii's first week are absolutely appropriate, but don't forget an important point - those Wii's were all sold at 249.99 with a game bundled in. The Wii U is selling at 299.99 with no game bundled in, and at 349.99 with a game bundled in.

Hard to do a proper comparison, but if you figure 400k WiiU's at ASP of 325 vs. 600k Wii's at ASP of 250, you're talking $130,00,000 revenue for WiiU vs. $150,000,000 for the Wii. Obviously Nintendo doesn't get all of that.

Of course that's very back of the envelope, and doesn't even consider profit margin (which would require knowing how much the Wii U is losing, how much the Wii made, and a lot of info about software (digital and retail) besides).

Edit: If Wii launch sales were really closer to 500k as stated by others, then you're talking 125 million in revenue for the Wii launch week - LESS THAN the Wii U launch week. I'd say that deserves a tip of the hat (if sales hold up, we can even say Nintendo didn't make a mistake raising the price so much - don't want to be premature about that. See 3DS).

Coolwhip

Banned
Wii U isn't going to live up to the Wii in sales. Unsurprising in the extreme, but disappointing for Nintendo I'm sure.

3DS is massively underperforming in the US, and that has to scare NoA. If the Vita had turned out to be a semicompetent competitor, they could be in some serious trouble. Luckily for them, Vita continues to find new ways to fail.

This can't be a happy time for Nintendo here; they're not doooooooomed, but they're going to have to make some effort to stay relevant. The Wii/DS days of kicking back and letting the money roll in appear to be over.

I doubt Nintendo is expecting a succes the size of Wi, not even closei. So they are just coming back to earth now. Selling 400k consoles, I'd be happy.

3DS sales speak for themselves. Could be worse, but still pretty bad.

Wii U... uh, unless supply was significantly lower than Wii's at launch, that doesn't look good.

Top Bottom