• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Gorillaz

This entire discussion revolves around whether or not Sony does business with the intention of making money on hardware alone.

They do not.

Not even in the PS1/PS2 era.

They take upfront losses, eventually break even, and then finally profit slightly from hardware sales alone. This ultimately is a wash (in the PS1/PS2 era), as the losses tend to negate whatever profits are made at the back end of the cycle. PS3 is different because the losses were far larger than they could reasonably expect to recover.

Where they make all of their money is on software, services, and licensing fees.

It makes no sense for Sony to restrict Playstation Gaikai services to only Sony branded devices.

It makes all the sense in the world to put Playstation on as many devices as possible, charge for streaming the rental of individual games, or package together a service like Netflix and charge a monthly rate for unlimited content.

Like I said, do not be surprised if you'll be able to play PS4 games streaming to your 720 next-gen.

You were on a good streak until the last bit. Sony is trying to look for ways to spread the "PS brand" around but putting it directly on MS? Not really. I can see different android devices but not on a direct competitor like xbox.

The crashing of reality when they announce the specs and they're not a 16core 8GB machine with the kitchen sink thrown in will be awesome.

This entire discussion revolves around whether or not Sony does business with the intention of making money on hardware alone.

They do not.

Not even in the PS1/PS2 era.

They take upfront losses, eventually break even, and then finally profit slightly from hardware sales alone. This ultimately is a wash (in the PS1/PS2 era), as the losses tend to negate whatever profits are made at the back end of the cycle. PS3 is different because the losses were far larger than they could reasonably expect to recover.

Where they make all of their money is on software, services, and licensing fees.

It makes no sense for Sony to restrict Playstation Gaikai services to only Sony branded devices.

It makes all the sense in the world to put Playstation on as many devices as possible, charge for streaming the rental of individual games, or package together a service like Netflix and charge a monthly rate for unlimited content.

Like I said, do not be surprised if you'll be able to play PS4 games streaming to your 720 next-gen.

Agreed but this isn't what you originally presented. Your original argument was Sony never made money from hardware. That statement was false.

Wow! MS is a looong way from making a cent from the Xbox, and we are expecting them to throw lots of money to build an uber powerful x720?

Bear in mind that MS has bundled lots of different things into its Entertainment and Devices Division over the years (many of which were not very successful), it's not just Xbox numbers on that chart. This comes up every time these misleading charts are posted.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
You were on a good streak until the last bit. Sony is trying to look for ways to spread the "PS brand" around but putting it directly on MS? Not really. I can see different android devices but not on a direct competitor like xbox.

The reality is that their Gakai streaming service is based on web streaming.

Xbox 720 is bound to have a web browser that you can pull up in-game.

Playstation is instantly compatible with ANYTHING that has a web browser.

Sony doesn't care that it's running on 720 hardware -- all they care about is having an audience that is able to buy and stream content.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

Sony doesn't care that it's running on 720 hardware -- all they care about is having an audience that is able to buy and stream content.

is it even possible to ban a device from streaming a game over the web?

Gorillaz

Yea on THEIR terms, There wouldn't be a point to even making next gen hardware at that point. They aren't even at that level of desperation.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Yea on THEIR terms, There wouldn't be a point to even making next gen hardware at that point. They aren't even at that level of desperation.

The point of making next-gen hardware is to have the highest possible fidelity, with no lag or any other issues, with locally played content.

The point of streaming is that you don't need next-gen hardware at all. Want to play PS4 games on my iPad? No problem, plug in a Bluetooth controller and open up a web link or press a playstation app to access content.

Why would Sony or Microsoft be against their services on rival platforms?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The point of making next-gen hardware is to have the highest possible fidelity, with no lag or any other issues, with locally played content.

The point of streaming is that you don't need next-gen hardware at all. Want to play PS4 games on my iPad? No problem, plug in a Bluetooth controller and open up a web link or press a playstation app to access content.

Microsoft shut down cross platform play between 360 and PS3 users on several games during their development, including CoD4.

I think Sony sells its movies on XBL but there's no way in hell either company will let the other run games on their system.

Gorillaz

Then what would be the point in having hardware for your services when people can get it somewhere else?

Also like others stated, MS shuts down the thought of cross gaming in most cases.

Microsoft shut down cross platform play between 360 and PS3 users on several games during their development, including CoD4.

I think Sony sells its movies on XBL but there's no way in hell either company will let the other run games on their system.

That's too much for him to grasp.

Mindlog

I'm fairly certain that MS is also working on a streaming game service and I would be shocked if they didn't port it to every platform under the sun (PC, Mac, Android, Direct to Television.) The opportunity cost of limiting services to a closed-platform is only going to increase as (if?) hardware becomes less relevant.

Melchiah

A lot of the architectural choices are dictated by the memory configuration.
PS4 is now supposed to have an APU coupled with an external GPU, with the Xbox next they're trying to integrate everything in a single giant chip.
It makes sense if we're assuming that Microsoft is using embedded memory so they only need a giant unified memory pool, while if Sony's not planning to have embedded RAM they need an additional external bus to have the needed bandwidth and memory capacity.
The only problem with Microsoft's approach is that yields can be terrible and there can be a significant failure rate due to thermal issues. It seems a bit weird that Microsoft hasn't learned the lesson after 1 billion losses due to the RROD.
So...who knows, I think we still haven't reached a point where rumors can be really trusted or considered definitive.

What would be the possible negative and positive effects of the PS4 solution in comparison to those X3 specs?

Let's break it down and see what team hasn't released a game in a while

Teams that are busy
- Quantic Dreams - making Beyond
It is not confirmed, but highly likely that Quantic Dream has two teams as well. David Cage hinted a while back, that they are working on two projects simultaneously, the first artwork for Beyond was already completed in 2009 and they have almost the same amount of employees than Naughty Dog (200 as of March 2012).

Also this:
neuebitmap23ri2e.png

Gaikai still uses a web browser plug-in though. The Xbox browser doesn't support user installed plug-ins AFAIK so you won't be able to bring up Gaikai within the browser I'd wager. I also doubt that Sony would allow that as the Xbox is a direct competitor. Sure, you would be using Sony's service and so they might be able to make some money, but I think they would rather push you to get a Playstation console instead, as that is where they can make a lot more money from you (as you would then be more inclined to buy additional Sony hardware and software than if you were using a streaming client on the Xbox).

Sony streaming playstation games to other hardware would cause them to lose most of the profits they get from video games I bet and here is why: 3rd Parties would have little incentive to play along with Sony's streaming mechanism as the software would become platform agnostic so Sony would lose a big chunk of their royalites. Add to that that Sony's 1st party games don't make much money and it sounds like a bad idea.

Sony's power derives from the fact that they control hardware. If Sony was just a publisher they would gradually decline like Sega. Sony will have to solve this problem though as the industry is moving in this direciton.

Sony streaming playstation games to other hardware would cause them to lose most of the profits they get from video games I bet and here is why: 3rd Parties would have little incentive to play along with Sony's streaming mechanism as the software would become platform agnostic so Sony would lose a big chunk of their royalites. Add to that that Sony's 1st party games don't make much money and it sounds like a bad idea.

Sony's power derives from the fact that they control hardware. If Sony was just a publisher they would gradually decline like Sega. Sony will have to solve this problem though as the industry is moving in this direciton.

that's a load of bullshit I'd love to see some stats on....

yurinka

is it even possible to ban a device from streaming a game over the web?
Yes, since every browser has its own id, and the IE of the 720 will have its own.
But if Sony puts Gaikai inside PS+ and they sell games inside it, I'd say they won't care where do you play these games because they would be still getting profit from you.

3rd parties release games on Sony platforms because they have a big userbase. If the userbase of the PS platform also reaches handhelds, PCs, tablets, smartphones, tvs and other consoles then it would be really huge. This means more potential customers without no ports needed so more potential profit. So they would support more the PS platform. Sony 1st party games combined sold a lot so they always made money, and would made more if users who doesn't own the console can buy and play it. Imagine a 720 who wants to play The Last of Us but can't afford a PS3 or PS4. He may buy it to play it using streaming in his 720/PC/tablet/whatever.
Do you think that streaming sucks with your internet connection? In this case buy a PS4 to play the games directly without streaming and with better quality.

That they blocked at first.

Was there a real reason why that happened? Or was it sony actually saying FU?

WTF? I asked an honest question, what the hell do I gain by how much Sony lost with the PS3? Regardless if you're right or I'm right, they lost a shit ton of money.

I read his post as losing all the money made on the PSX and PS2, not all the money since they started making consoles. In fact, I would imagine most with good reading comprehension would agree. Not really sure how else you can read this exact part:

He specifically said "with" the PSX and PS2, not "during".

I was asking honest questions to have a better understanding of what you were trying to explain or the point you were trying to make. I didn't ask you to be a dick for no reason.

Edit:

Thinking about it more, it doesn't really make sense to include the psp since that launched in 2005. Sorry about that, for some reason I thought it launched earlier. I still didn't have some silly agenda with my original questions, I was just confused. =P

Back from a social gathering. I never thought you had an agenda mate, I just thought you didn't wanted to concede being incorrect. Bro hug as you've proved to be a rational poster. :)

KageMaru

They have to be profitable since they keep investing in new games.

Back from a social gathering. I never thought you had an agenda mate, I just thought you didn't wanted to concede being incorrect. Bro hug as you've proved to be a rational poster. :)

Cool. =D

i-Lo

Any guesses on whether we'd be seeing the same power draw statistics akin to first gen PS3 for PS4 (during peak times)?

Add to that that Sony's 1st party games don't make much money and it sounds like a bad idea.

Where might I find a source for this bomb-esque news because to me, it reeks of BS.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

You're wrong.

Sony still controls the hardware in the streaming scenario. What exactly do you think the streamed content comes from? It comes from servers that Sony owns and operates for streaming gaming content.

They will still get royalties off streaming content because it's their service.

It's coming:

http://www.khronos.org/assets/uploa...WebGL-KITE-meetups/WebGL Meetup GDC Mar12.pdf

the creation of the Games Community Group in W3C,

The Web as a Games Development Platform
New features
Mouse lock
Hardware feature detection
Keyboard Capture
Joystick API
Higher-level semantics for CSS animations
Improvements to Web Workers: « Pass by reference »
Orientation lock
Access to screen pixel density
Surround sound support
High performance timers
Extensions to CSS

antic604

Banned

I believe those links say about HTML5 and WebGL as a platforms for future gaming development which would be independent from the host platform. That's a completely different thing than streaming, which in the end is nothing more than playing an interactive (controlled by the viewer) video.

Still, it's very interesting - I can see SCE's logo there, but not Microsoft's? Would be great if new consoles had a proper browser / environment HTML5-compliant so that they could also support such games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gaikai still uses a web browser plug-in though.

Just prior to acquisition they demoed a webkit client at Google IO that requires no plugin on webkit browsers. They're working on a straight html5 client also.

I think if there was a straight html5 client, and it thus worked on a Xbox browser, it would very probably get shut down - but by Microsoft, not Sony.

Sony's power derives from the fact that they control hardware.

The power of any platform holder is that they facilitate, nurture and provide access to markets.

Proprietary hardware is a good way to ensure consumer lock-in on a platform, but it is not necessary for the emergence of a controlled platform that takes a slice of publisher revenue and that commands the attention of publishers. See: Steam - a software platform built on a commerce engine, marketing and player community/network services.

A quality streaming service would be a more difficult thing to get up and running than a Steam equivalent, yet even in that publishers have been finding choppy waters, and most continue to put their games on Steam because a large audience gravitates around that platform despite no proprietary hardware. Even where they have their own PC digital portals. You can make a platform sticky without hardware lock-in, command audience share and thus publisher support.

But putting aside a far future where the audience is mostly or entirely on streaming clients, and the competitive environment is flat wrt hardware, the foreseeable future will still see large chunks of the audience playing on proprietary boxes bought at stores. When a publisher submits a Playstation game, they may be accessing players via PSCloud that they theoretically could compete for with their own service, but also still tens of millions of others accessing through Sony's own box and retail presence.

I'm also putting aside the competitive pressure to make this step. If Sony doesn't others will and could entirely disrupt a business hinging solely on proprietary boxes in the long run. As I keep saying, Sony (or MS or Nintendo) may be in a position of disrupting first or being disrupted down the line. Microsoft will undoubtedly go this route too.

I believe those links say about HTML5 and WebGL as a platforms for future gaming development which would be independent from the host platform. That's a completely different thing than streaming, which in the end is nothing more than playing an interactive (controlled by the viewer) video.

A nice piece of the puzzle is a gamepad API though.

That being standardised would obviously be useful here.

It's already emerging in some browsers though. And it's possible to identify the type of controller so that you could - for example - require a dualshock on a PSCloud client.

They have to be profitable since they keep investing in new games.

The software definitely has to be profitable for the games division to be making money these last few years but there is a difference between being profitable and very profitable. From what I can tell only GT5, GOW3, UC1-3, and LBP1 have really sold enough to be considered big sellers, with the biggest of those games (GT5) experiencing development hell. Most other Sony 1st party games are only moderate successes (Killzone, inFamous) or bombs. Sony is certainly no Nintendo.

The software definitely has to be profitable for the games division to be making money these last few years but there is a difference between being profitable and very profitable. From what I can tell only GT5, GOW3, UC1-3, and LBP1 have really sold enough to be considered big sellers, with the biggest of those games (GT5) experiencing development hell. Most other Sony 1st party games are only moderate successes (Killzone, inFamous) or bombs. Sony is certainly no Nintendo.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

9.19 million copies of GT5
5.35 million copies of GT5:prologue

Not all of their titles sell this well, but GT5 is a huge seller, regardless of it's development hell.

Perkel

Banned

That is pretty much bullshit especially GT5 part. PD is like 100-140 people. they sold about 20 mln coppies of their games this gen ( 5,5mln GT5:p, 9 mln GT5, 4mln+ GT PSP)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This doesn't imply anything.

Buss speed is important but this alone don't make GPU fly. GTX680 has 256bit buss and it is 2x faster (in Tflops) than 580 with 384 bit buss

correct answer above GTX580 have 384 bit buss

680 is a more advanced card though. 384 bit bus would let them clock it slower, might save heat?

But isn't a 384 bit bus unusual for AMD?

KageMaru

How do you know this though? We would have to have budgets and sales figures to determine what you're claiming.

Top Bottom